Jason Anderson "showing his true colors"?

mx836
Edited Date/Time 6/1/2016 9:55pm
After Anderson slowed up to stuff Tomac in the corner before the rhythm section in moto 2, he had a small gap back to Tomac. Coming through Talledaga, Anderson took a long hard look back and was what I assume surprised to see the big #3 coming for him. In the next corner he makes a "mistake" and Tomac easily slides right by while Anderson completely gives up the inside. As I watched it happen for the first time I said to my buddy, "Anderson completely just let him by!". I have had the opportunity to watch it again multiple times and believe that Anderson's getting stood up in the line and going wide appears to be on purpose because he dished it out and knew he was about to get it back.

My buddy who I've raced with and been watching races with for probably 15 years now said "Anderson showing his true colors" which I thought fit the situation perfectly. It was kind of pathetic. Flame on!! The incident begins at 16:00 into the link below. I searched for this because it seemed pretty obvious, but haven't found anything on it. Sorry if it has already been discussed in another thread.

http://www.promotocross.com/mx/event/glen-helen-2016/video/2016-glen-he…
|
5/31/2016 12:47pm
I was hoping that Tomac was going to paste him to the wall. But he was smarter than that, unfortunately.
dr516
5/31/2016 12:52pm
After Anderson’s mishap on the uphill he slowed down had nothing for him (I think he may have hurt himself)
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
5/31/2016 12:52pm
True colors? Seems like decent race craft to me by avoiding a guy who is going faster and might also have the intent of taking you out (getting you back).

The Shop

mx836
5/31/2016 12:57pm
seth505 wrote:
True colors? Seems like decent race craft to me by avoiding a guy who is going faster and might also have the intent of taking you...
True colors? Seems like decent race craft to me by avoiding a guy who is going faster and might also have the intent of taking you out (getting you back).
Yes, I agree it was a smart move on Anderson's part to go wide because his take out was unsuccessful and knew he had one coming. I also think it's pathetic that after he tried to put Tomac down to stay in front of him, he then gave up his line and let him right by instead of fighting for it. Anderson wasn't going to get passed there.
5/31/2016 12:57pm
seth505 wrote:
True colors? Seems like decent race craft to me by avoiding a guy who is going faster and might also have the intent of taking you...
Agreed.

Aggressive AND smart. What's there to complain about?
5/31/2016 1:00pm
Just good race craft, if you know there is a hard block pass coming your way you check up and take away the option.
agn5009
5/31/2016 1:00pm
Anderson let him by because he tweaked his back on the uphill incident. He probably knew with his injury he wasn't holding Tomac off.

So yes, he showed his true colors. The true colors of all these guys out there racing hard with constant injuries and pain. They're all total bad asses. "flame on"
mx836
5/31/2016 1:05pm
How does Anderson letting Tomac by show his true colors? I don't get it.
He tried to take Tomac down then let him ride right by without even putting up a fight. Why didn't he try to take him down again or race him straight up or....? He ran and hid. Just looking for some debate. I have no problem with the move he put on Tomac.
agn5009
5/31/2016 1:08pm
How does Anderson letting Tomac by show his true colors? I don't get it.
mx836 wrote:
He tried to take Tomac down then let him ride right by without even putting up a fight. Why didn't he try to take him down...
He tried to take Tomac down then let him ride right by without even putting up a fight. Why didn't he try to take him down again or race him straight up or....? He ran and hid. Just looking for some debate. I have no problem with the move he put on Tomac.
Read my previous post. Debate is over. He was injured. End of story.
mx836
5/31/2016 1:18pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2016 1:21pm
Just good race craft, if you know there is a hard block pass coming your way you check up and take away the option.
That was my point. He was not going to get passed there at all. He looked back and completely let him by after just putting up a fight 20 seconds earlier. Made no sense. If Tomac were right there, then yes, that would definitely be the best option.

Edit: By the way, I'm only quoting you because you want to talk reasonably about it unlike most who have replied so far with their great contributions.
5/31/2016 1:19pm
agn5009 wrote:
If Anderson was riding injured, why did he try to take Tomac down?
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1338th
5/31/2016 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2016 1:27pm
Smart racing on JA part. You take what you can get today, and live to fight another day. He knew Tomac would be pissed and was coming for him. Pretty sure Wilson learned that lesson awhile ago....There is give and take in all levels of racing, smart racers understand that..if you make a mistake, you should think about correcting it before someone, ie the affected party or the officials correct it for you..just like cutting the track, often times guys "give it back"..no harm no foul.
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/31/2016 1:28pm
agn5009 wrote:
If Anderson was riding injured, why did he try to take Tomac down?
Force of habit
moco
5/31/2016 1:35pm
I had no idea Anderson was a person of color.
mx836
5/31/2016 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2016 1:37pm
NITRODOG wrote:
Smart racing on JA part. You take what you can get today, and live to fight another day. He knew Tomac would be pissed and was...
Smart racing on JA part. You take what you can get today, and live to fight another day. He knew Tomac would be pissed and was coming for him. Pretty sure Wilson learned that lesson awhile ago....There is give and take in all levels of racing, smart racers understand that..if you make a mistake, you should think about correcting it before someone, ie the affected party or the officials correct it for you..just like cutting the track, often times guys "give it back"..no harm no foul.
You make a great point about Wilson. He was riding overly aggressive with Eli and paid the price. Some might say that he has never been the same since that first shoulder injury, but there is no doubt that he deserved the aggressive riding from Tomac.
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
5/31/2016 1:41pm
Sometimes it's just good sportsmanship to let someone re-pass after you inadvertently do something stupid. Not saying that's what happen.
markit
5/31/2016 1:56pm
Now ive only been racing for 30 years, so someone explain how a near take out works? A racers colors are black and white checkers.
G-man
5/31/2016 1:56pm
Stuff somebody and expect payback.

It's not Rocket Science......

What was the question again?Grinning
5/31/2016 2:00pm
markit wrote:
Now ive only been racing for 30 years, so someone explain how a near take out works? A racers colors are black and white checkers.
Here, I'll give this a shot! See.. a near take out is say.... when you run someone wide and force them off the track. But an actual take out is when you slam into them and sideline their "promising" career with a shoulder injury,

Comparatively, what happened at Glen Helen this past weekend is so much not an issue but to one person, the OP!
mx836
5/31/2016 2:18pm
markit wrote:
Here, I'll give this a shot! See.. a near take out is say.... when you run someone wide and force them off the track. But an...
Here, I'll give this a shot! See.. a near take out is say.... when you run someone wide and force them off the track. But an actual take out is when you slam into them and sideline their "promising" career with a shoulder injury,

Comparatively, what happened at Glen Helen this past weekend is so much not an issue but to one person, the OP!
No issue man. Just trying to make a little discussion. Not complaining about it either. I think it's funny.
5/31/2016 2:20pm
mx836 wrote:
That was my point. He was not going to get passed there at all. He looked back and completely let him by after just putting up...
That was my point. He was not going to get passed there at all. He looked back and completely let him by after just putting up a fight 20 seconds earlier. Made no sense. If Tomac were right there, then yes, that would definitely be the best option.

Edit: By the way, I'm only quoting you because you want to talk reasonably about it unlike most who have replied so far with their great contributions.
Probably tried to stuff him to give himself a bit of breathing room, when it didn't work he knew he had nothing left in the fight. Perfectly legit racing tactic. Every decent rider knows when to fight and when its a losing battle.
Forty
5/31/2016 2:32pm
Anderson is consistent in his approach....I give him that...and I like it....he knows why he is out there and what has to be done.

Your take on the action between him and Eli is guess work at best.

NITRODOG
Fantasy
1338th
5/31/2016 2:33pm
Discussion is good... I'm old school, so it's always interesting to hear how different people perceive an event. I remember when I was young, sitting in the grandstands at our local racetrack watching the races, and then reading the article about the race in the paper the following Thursday..( for you youngsters, Thursday was always motorsports day for the local newspapers) Smile Anyway, I would read the race report and think to myself, "that's not what happened, was that guy even at the same race I was at?" That's when I learned the requirement to be a motorsports writer, was simply the desire to show up and write....no knowledge or racing experience needed....
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/31/2016 2:35pm
NITRODOG wrote:
Discussion is good... I'm old school, so it's always interesting to hear how different people perceive an event. I remember when I was young, sitting in...
Discussion is good... I'm old school, so it's always interesting to hear how different people perceive an event. I remember when I was young, sitting in the grandstands at our local racetrack watching the races, and then reading the article about the race in the paper the following Thursday..( for you youngsters, Thursday was always motorsports day for the local newspapers) Smile Anyway, I would read the race report and think to myself, "that's not what happened, was that guy even at the same race I was at?" That's when I learned the requirement to be a motorsports writer, was simply the desire to show up and write....no knowledge or racing experience needed....
Sometimes I can't believe the way people perceive things.
akillerwombat
5/31/2016 2:48pm
Looked like Anderson picked a bad line, hesitated a bit, and got passed.
etccb
5/31/2016 2:54pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2016 2:56pm
Tomac was on the outside down the straight and cut over into andersons line and berm. That makes it not as devious as tomac tried to mussel that turn from the outside. Yes there was a line that you could see being used that tomac was running but that little berm didn't have a real 2 lines.
mx836
5/31/2016 2:56pm
NITRODOG wrote:
Discussion is good... I'm old school, so it's always interesting to hear how different people perceive an event. I remember when I was young, sitting in...
I wouldn't consider myself old school, but I have certainly been around the block. Been riding and racing 27 years. I'm not against rubbing out there. Just saw nobody made comment of this incident and thought I'd bring it up. Certainly not a fan of the way Anderson rides, because I put myself in the other guys shoes. I've raced competitively enough to know how it feels as have many others here. There are also plenty here who haven't. Probably the harescrambler who tried to derail the thread. Laughing I don't think I perceived the situation any different than you guys. It was smart of Anderson after the failed attempt at whatever he was going for there before the rhythm.

Post a reply to: Jason Anderson "showing his true colors"?

The Latest