Jason Anderson Altitude Sickness & Possibly Wrapping Up The Title at Salt Lake

Lightning78
So I was thinking about this......Jason cane take the medication he needs to to counteract his altitude sickness problem that he gets every year indoors and out when they race in Utah thanks to WADA not approving his TUE and as a result he has to fly in right before practice starts and get the F outta Dodge as soon as he can after the race is over.

Now hypothetically IF he wraps up the title this weekend, will he even be able to really enjoy much of the celebration seeing as how he will have to potentially get out of Salt lake quickly after the race is over?

Kind of a shitty deal if you ask me, WADA wont approve his TUE so if he wins the title this weekend he might have to have a short celebration and get to the airport. I know, strange thought but im sure he would like to stick around an have some fun after the race. From whats been reported its really important for him to be out of the Utah rounds and back on a plane home within a pretty short duration so am I out to lunch on this?
|
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
4/25/2018 3:26pm
Jason will have plenty of time to celebrate his championship. There's a race next weekend that I heard is pretty good for partying.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
4/25/2018 3:33pm
I don't think the Salt Lake elevation is nearly as bad of an effect as the Lakewood elevation. Salt Lake Stadium is at 4,640 feet above Sea Level, and Thunder Valley is 6,150. That 1,500 feet could make a big difference. He won his first ever 250 Supercross in Salt Lake.

Either way he can party on his flight home from Salt Lake. Private jet status for the weekend.
4/25/2018 3:42pm
Eli has his shirt off now so I think he is going for the 21 and 25 take outs. But he has a bad history of chocking there so maybe look for a title wrap up or two.
mauidex
4/25/2018 3:46pm
I don’t follow close enough so excuse my ignorance. Especially with another rider getting “caught” a week or so ago. So I’m understanding that ando will take “illegal”, per wada, drugs.....win the title.....and as long as he gets outta dodge to avoid being tested that is all good?!?!? Man help me understand this one!!!

The Shop

4/25/2018 3:52pm
Eli has his shirt off now so I think he is going for the 21 and 25 take outs. But he has a bad history of...
Eli has his shirt off now so I think he is going for the 21 and 25 take outs. But he has a bad history of chocking there so maybe look for a title wrap up or two.
Like a wheel chock that you would put in your trailer?
Lightning78
4/25/2018 3:53pm
@mauidex he cant and wont take it and he can only be exposed to high elevation for a certain amount of hours I dont remember the exact number but it is almost the exact same timeframe as the time about an hour before practice starts and the end of the races then he has to go or feels the effect.

I understand he will be able to party at vegas but in the moment at salt lake if he wraps up the title the team will be enjoying the spoils but I was just wondering if the celebration will have to be a little short lived because of the altitude sickness problem. It wouldnt be as much fun to party on the plane as it would in the pits right?
4/25/2018 3:54pm
mauidex wrote:
I don’t follow close enough so excuse my ignorance. Especially with another rider getting “caught” a week or so ago. So I’m understanding that ando will...
I don’t follow close enough so excuse my ignorance. Especially with another rider getting “caught” a week or so ago. So I’m understanding that ando will take “illegal”, per wada, drugs.....win the title.....and as long as he gets outta dodge to avoid being tested that is all good?!?!? Man help me understand this one!!!
Broc is the shooter on the grassy knoll. This ain't done yet
mauidex
4/25/2018 4:09pm
@mauidex he cant and wont take it and he can only be exposed to high elevation for a certain amount of hours I dont remember the...
@mauidex he cant and wont take it and he can only be exposed to high elevation for a certain amount of hours I dont remember the exact number but it is almost the exact same timeframe as the time about an hour before practice starts and the end of the races then he has to go or feels the effect.

I understand he will be able to party at vegas but in the moment at salt lake if he wraps up the title the team will be enjoying the spoils but I was just wondering if the celebration will have to be a little short lived because of the altitude sickness problem. It wouldnt be as much fun to party on the plane as it would in the pits right?
Thanx. Got it!!
4/25/2018 4:27pm
All he has to do is qualify for the main to wrap up the title.
Not quite, if Marvin wins Anderson needs to get at least 5th to wrap it up. Him getting 5th is pretty much a sure thing but you never know.
StevieTimes
4/25/2018 4:45pm
Can he legally take supplemental oxygen between races?
4/25/2018 5:08pm
Eli has his shirt off now so I think he is going for the 21 and 25 take outs. But he has a bad history of...
Like a wheel chock that you would put in your trailer?
Maybe bigger
mx356
4/25/2018 5:17pm
I'm a big fan of Jason Anderson and hoping he wraps the title up Saturday, but I always thought it was strange that he has a hard time with altitude sickness since he grew up in higher altitude. He's from Edgewood, NM which has an elevation of 6,700'. I know he mainly resides in CA and FL now but he seems to struggle with it the most.

Hoping he has a smooth weekend and doesn't have any issues with it

devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
4/25/2018 5:23pm
I'm not sure if this was mentioned during the broadcast but Tomac is mathematically out of the championship (if something were to happen to Marvin and Jason).
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
4/25/2018 5:34pm
Look, I know everyone is different, but I suffer from altitude sickness (pretty severely), and I don't really feel it for 48 hours above 5000 to 6000 feet. Above 10,000 and I feel like I'm dying without proper meds within hours.

At 4600 feet. Jason will be fine flying in Friday night and racing the next day.
Asimo
4/25/2018 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2018 7:29pm
My opinion, it's fake. Id like to get some acetazolamide and dexamethasone prescribed.

Shortness of breath, a little more winded as symptons, sure. True altitude sickness he couldn't see the gate fall.
99% of the public never feel anything until 0-12K other than what I mentioned, affects of thin air and Maybe a slight headache.

If you've ever seen someone get real altitude sickness, they aren't racing a supercross. They cant function right, at all.

Think of this. How many go to Mammoth MX at just shy of 8K and drive straight to the hospital?
SLC is about 4500 or something. Lakewood is what 6200 or 6500?
Millions go to ski resorts in Los Angeles at 8-10K. Few to no issues. Millions more worldwide.

If JA was 93 with emphysema....
JA is supposed to be a world class athlete with all this cardio fitness.

If he got real altitude sickness he could have never raced any of the races he did, let alone win.

Most need a day to acclimate to 10K. Maybe 2. That's reality.
WADA told him to go there for 6 weeks so maybe he should move in with Tomac.

Everyone feels the effects of altitude. Having real altitude sickness is a whole different deal.

BobKerr
4/25/2018 6:17pm
I would be interested in learning Jason's situation.

I used to be able to go to 13,000 ft no problem. That all changed starting in my early 30's, and I don't know why. I was in fantastic shape.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
4/25/2018 6:21pm
Asimo wrote:
My opinion, it's fake. Id like to get some acetazolamide and dexamethasone prescribed. Shortness of breath, a little more winded as symptons, sure. True altitude sickness...
My opinion, it's fake. Id like to get some acetazolamide and dexamethasone prescribed.

Shortness of breath, a little more winded as symptons, sure. True altitude sickness he couldn't see the gate fall.
99% of the public never feel anything until 0-12K other than what I mentioned, affects of thin air and Maybe a slight headache.

If you've ever seen someone get real altitude sickness, they aren't racing a supercross. They cant function right, at all.

Think of this. How many go to Mammoth MX at just shy of 8K and drive straight to the hospital?
Millions go to ski resorts in Los Angeles at 8-10K. Few to no issues. Millions more worldwide.

If he got real altitude sickness he could have never raced any of the races he did, let alone win.

Everyone feels the effects of altitude. Having real altitude sickness is a whole different deal.

You best check your facts and math on acclimation, Mortgage Paul.
StevieTimes
4/25/2018 6:21pm
BobKerr wrote:
I would be interested in learning Jason's situation. I used to be able to go to 13,000 ft no problem. That all changed starting in my...
I would be interested in learning Jason's situation.

I used to be able to go to 13,000 ft no problem. That all changed starting in my early 30's, and I don't know why. I was in fantastic shape.
13,000 is just above what the FAA says you need oxygen at (if you were flying a plane). The actual rule is if you're over 12,500 for more than 30 minutes, you'll need supplemental oxygen.

So it stands to reason that must be an altitude that commonly starts to affect people negatively.
dboivin
4/25/2018 6:31pm
Asimo wrote:
My opinion, it's fake. Id like to get some acetazolamide and dexamethasone prescribed. Shortness of breath, a little more winded as symptons, sure. True altitude sickness...

i've had altitude sickness. to the point my crew drove me down to 6000' and i rented a hotel there and stayed a day low and then went back up and felt better.

thats not full blown alt sickness..but i can tell you personally that it took my riding ability away from me. (sleds in wyoming). I feel it immediately when i get over 6500...and only way i can describe it is...headaches, loss of motivation, sucking for air. no f'n way i could ride a moto with it.

now i go a day early. i stay 1 night at around 5500-6000..get adjusted..then go up to elevation after 24-36hrs of adjustment and i'm pretty good. I still lack motivation and feel under the weather a bit tho.

i totally believe issues jason has is real....because its happened to me. doesn't matter what shape you are in...it happens to everyone differently.
Asimo
4/25/2018 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2018 8:00pm
13,000 is just above what the FAA says you need oxygen at (if you were flying a plane). The actual rule is if you're over 12,500...
13,000 is just above what the FAA says you need oxygen at (if you were flying a plane). The actual rule is if you're over 12,500 for more than 30 minutes, you'll need supplemental oxygen.

So it stands to reason that must be an altitude that commonly starts to affect people negatively.
Much like what I said. Most people that Ive seen get affected it hits them at 10-12, and it comes on quickly. People think being winded and out of breath is altitude sickness, and it's not. Everyone gets out of breath and winded easier.. It's not different than a couch potato getting up and running around the block. You're sucking for wind.

Altitude sickness takes someone acting normal to a completely different person in a very short time.
Coincidentally, you take them down a thousand feet or so, and in no time they are fine.

I've seen a few just 15 minutes later ask "What the hell just happened"? Because for the most part, they are back to fine like nothing happened.

Anderson grew up at 5300 feet. Babies born in Denver, Vail, Mammoth or SLC, aren't born with altitude sickness.

Thats probably why WADA shut him down and told him to move there for 6 weeks, according to Matthes.
CMcBain
4/25/2018 8:21pm
I also don't really understand why people think he should get a TUE either. If he thought it was so debilitating he would live at altitude year round. Aren't most of the training facilities in Florida to help with humidity? Same difference really... except you don't get to hang with your bros in Cali.
aeffertz
4/25/2018 9:18pm
Asimo wrote:

Oh great, the dude with a self prescribed PhD showed up again.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/25/2018 9:27pm
Yeah, he really “chocked” there last year when he came through the pack for the win.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/25/2018 9:31pm
Asimo wrote:

aeffertz wrote:
Next time will be under another account name.
TeamGreen
4/25/2018 9:38pm
Asimo wrote:

aeffertz wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Asimo is not an AI or autonomous robot. He's a programmed machine that can only do the menial tasks he's assigned...

Like Shutting the F Up & going away.
KB221
4/25/2018 10:42pm
It may be unpopular but I'm with Eli on this one, chocking is great, even if you have the nice pro taper tie downs theres just nothing as good as chocking to eliminate back and forth movement!
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
4/26/2018 12:26am
All he has to do is qualify for the main to wrap up the title.
Not quite, if Marvin wins Anderson needs to get at least 5th to wrap it up. Him getting 5th is pretty much a sure thing but...
Not quite, if Marvin wins Anderson needs to get at least 5th to wrap it up. Him getting 5th is pretty much a sure thing but you never know.
I posted this in another thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe if Musquin wins, Anderson needs to take 4th or better to clinch.

A First for Musquin would put him at 324 points. (298 + 26).
A 5th place would put Anderson at 350 points. (332 + 18).
That wouldn't be enough.

Since there are 26 points available for a win, in the above scenario, if Musquin won Vegas, Anderson would have to score 1 point to win the championship.

So, if Anderson takes 4th or better this week, no matter what anyone else does he'll clinch the title.

He just needs to at minimum lose no more than 7 points to Musquin this week to clinch.
Donovan759
4/26/2018 5:34am
aeffertz wrote:
GuyB wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Asimo is not an AI or autonomous robot. He's a programmed machine that can only do the menial tasks he's assigned... Like Shutting the F Up...
Asimo is not an AI or autonomous robot. He's a programmed machine that can only do the menial tasks he's assigned...

Like Shutting the F Up & going away.
And if we lived in a perfect world, he wouldn't come back under another user name tomorrow.

Post a reply to: Jason Anderson Altitude Sickness & Possibly Wrapping Up The Title at Salt Lake

The Latest