Japanese pit bike?

8/30/2018 11:31pm
Started delving back into some of the mod threads. Still not sure if something is wrong with the bike—I see videos of people pulling wheelies in 3rd on stock 110s, but I can yank as hard as I can in 1st and mine's not coming up.

Going to try to pull the spark arrestor (think that's what it is?) and the 'snorkel' from the air box this weekend.

After that…going to find out if Engines Only still sells their carb I guess and debate doing that first or a pipe (full or slip on?) or the big bore kit first. Opinions on order?

If I do all 3, I'm at about the price of the 150r that the lack of power still has me thinking about, ha.

8/30/2018 11:36pm
Cokeham23 wrote:
I bought mine from BBR Motorsports, just to support them because of what they do for the pitbike scene here, but you can get the same...
I bought mine from BBR Motorsports, just to support them because of what they do for the pitbike scene here, but you can get the same kit from an Indonesia dealer for about $50-100 cheaper. Sounds sketchy, but he’s legit. Myself and some buddies have bought from him with no problems for years now. Sxparts.com is his website.

A shop could install it, but it’s very simple if you wanted to give it a try. It comes with a new cylinder so it’s just bolt on and go. No boring the stock cylinder or anything.
Can you link me? I see two engine something on their eBay…
Cokeham23
8/31/2018 11:08am
Started delving back into some of the mod threads. Still not sure if something is wrong with the bike—I see videos of people pulling wheelies in...
Started delving back into some of the mod threads. Still not sure if something is wrong with the bike—I see videos of people pulling wheelies in 3rd on stock 110s, but I can yank as hard as I can in 1st and mine's not coming up.

Going to try to pull the spark arrestor (think that's what it is?) and the 'snorkel' from the air box this weekend.

After that…going to find out if Engines Only still sells their carb I guess and debate doing that first or a pipe (full or slip on?) or the big bore kit first. Opinions on order?

If I do all 3, I'm at about the price of the 150r that the lack of power still has me thinking about, ha.

Engines only still sells their carb kit. I would do a pipe and bore first though. I’m still running the stock carb on my bike and I have a pipe with bore kit. It runs just fine. A carb definitely helps when you have those mods, but it’ll be overkill on the stock motor.

Bbrmotorsports.com is where I got my bore kit. Give them a call and they’ll get you setup. Super nice guys and have been in the pitbike game a long time.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/31/2018 11:12am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2018 11:12am
Shop got scared off by needing a washer. Where I can I get one that would be the right size? 0 experience doing anything like this.
Really any spacer that has an ID big enough to fit over the steerer tube will work. I can take dimensions on mine if you need it, it isn't that thick of a spacer.

The Shop

8/31/2018 11:14am
Actually got an email back from them this morning which was cool—other than I asked which of the 3 would be the best place to start and the response was 'yeah all 3 are good'.

The BBR bore kit shows as out of stock on their site, and I was curious about the SX Parts one as it was said to be cheaper, but both the engine kits I see on their site are more expensive than the BBR.
8/31/2018 11:15am
seth505 wrote:
Really any spacer that has an ID big enough to fit over the steerer tube will work. I can take dimensions on mine if you need...
Really any spacer that has an ID big enough to fit over the steerer tube will work. I can take dimensions on mine if you need it, it isn't that thick of a spacer.
I'd really appreciate it. I didn't attempt the assembly so I'm still not quite sure where it needed the spacer, though I have a guess.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/31/2018 11:18am
seth505 wrote:
Really any spacer that has an ID big enough to fit over the steerer tube will work. I can take dimensions on mine if you need...
I'd really appreciate it. I didn't attempt the assembly so I'm still not quite sure where it needed the spacer, though I have a guess.
Probably can't get to it til later tonight or this weekend but I'll post the size and pics for you.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
9/3/2018 1:16am
seth505 wrote:
Here is a pic. This spacer (between the threaded steering stem nut and the bearing) is almost 4mm thick and as I mentioned, just needs to slip over the steerer.

9/3/2018 10:59pm
Those of you that put in heavier springs—how'd you know what to get? Can I just throw in the springs and wait on the 'revalve' or is that not possible? I'm 240lbs, so imagine it's a weird/rare spring…
9/4/2018 12:01am
Can you link me? I see two engine something on their eBay…
I think their site must’ve been down cause it was redirecting to their eBay store, but isn’t now.

They have this https://sxparts.com/klx140-klx150-big-bore-kit and I emailed and they have one without a camshaft for $90. Do I need or want the camshaft? Not getting a clear answer from them.
9/5/2018 1:22pm
Ordered the big bore kit, some jets, fmf slip on, and some pro taper bars. Hoping my stock cables with reach.
Wandell
9/5/2018 1:53pm
Sorry, I didn't see this post got bumped. I've read a couple people say they needed a small spacer with their KX fork conversion and some didn't. I didn't need one.
As for wheelies, my son is about 240 and will wheelie all around the yard. But I'm about 200 and can't pull the front end up other than from a dead stop.
9/5/2018 5:14pm
I actually took it to a guy who has done some work for me and he bolted them up with no spacer...not sure why that is.

Racetech got back to me with a quote of 250 for the springs...bit steeper than I’d imagined. Still trying to figure out if I can just drop them in for now...
9/8/2018 9:35pm
Does anyone make side panels? Want to get some black ones, but I don't see anything for the 140L from Acerbis, Cycra or UFO…
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
9/9/2018 10:46am
Does anyone make side panels? Want to get some black ones, but I don't see anything for the 140L from Acerbis, Cycra or UFO…
I never found any, had to get white.
9/9/2018 1:34pm
bummer.

the guy doing my work has the exhaust & bars installed. just waiting on the big bore kit to arrive, then installing that and rejetting with a kit from 6 sigma. then he's going to try riding it around with and without the airbox cover to see if it's worth drilling it.

last thing to order is springs. hoping to hear back from some more of the places i contacted (tbt, cannon, one other i can't recall off the top of my head).

crossing my fingers this all gets me something that won't make me wonder about the 150r, ha.
Cokeham23
9/9/2018 3:00pm
OEM only. No aftermarket company makes plastic for the 140s. And Unfortunately only option from OEM is white.
9/9/2018 3:03pm
Did I see a green front plate in one of your photos?

I bought the KX85 fender, so wondering if a KX85 front plate would mount up and fit well?
Wandell
9/9/2018 3:25pm
I believe you have to use the OEM KLX number plate because of the way it mounts to the bracket for the choke (at least I did). As for black side panels, I believe the Monster edition came with all black plastic. I just can't remember what year it was. Either way, OEM is the only option.
9/10/2018 2:39pm
Will probably ask outside this thread, but since I've gotten so much help here—what's the most affordable option for getting black rims?

Imagine grabbing some brand of rim (excel?) and trying to get them laced would be cheaper than a new complete set, especially when my hubs are practically new.

Just want that and a green plate, and I'm visually happy.

Would love a tall seat but from reading other threads, sounds like nobody ever made one.
Wandell
9/10/2018 7:52pm
I've read several great reviews on Rocky Mountain MC's Tusk rims.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
9/11/2018 12:31am
Will probably ask outside this thread, but since I've gotten so much help here—what's the most affordable option for getting black rims? Imagine grabbing some brand...
Will probably ask outside this thread, but since I've gotten so much help here—what's the most affordable option for getting black rims?

Imagine grabbing some brand of rim (excel?) and trying to get them laced would be cheaper than a new complete set, especially when my hubs are practically new.

Just want that and a green plate, and I'm visually happy.

Would love a tall seat but from reading other threads, sounds like nobody ever made one.
I got a stock set of black 19/16s from a KX. Same hubs.
As far as the front I put on green kx plate and front fender but the plate does mount differently so I had to do a little custom crap.
9/11/2018 2:19pm
Ah thanks for the tip—looks like KX100s come with 19/16. Just over $400 for a Tusk set from RM, though the only option they have listed are blue hubs (not into it at all). Need to recover from the rest of this build, then I'll have to pursue that further.

Could use one more bit of advice if anyone is familiar with suspension. Race Tech told me:

FRSP 314233 – RT FRK SPR 31.2x422 .33kg
SRSP 552471 – RT SK SPR 55x56.5x240 7.1kg

"The shock spring I was able to get the correct rate for your weight. The fork springs however the stiffest we make is a .33 and we would like to run a little stiffer spring ideally. This will be far better then stock for you but the fork spring is not the “ideal” rate and is rather a close enough scenario."

I contacted Cannon Racecraft, and it sounds like they could do a custom one for $140. Waiting to hear back if they would also recommend a slightly stiffer spring—if I can get the ideal from Cannon, is that a no brainer for probably $20 extra?
Cokeham23
9/11/2018 3:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2018 3:27pm
Wandell wrote:
I believe you have to use the OEM KLX number plate because of the way it mounts to the bracket for the choke (at least I...
I believe you have to use the OEM KLX number plate because of the way it mounts to the bracket for the choke (at least I did). As for black side panels, I believe the Monster edition came with all black plastic. I just can't remember what year it was. Either way, OEM is the only option.
The ME came with white number plates. Just the fenders and shrouds were black.

The 85 front number plate will work, but you have to do some modding. I have a couple buddies that have done it, haven’t done it myself though.

Cheapest way to do black rims is powder coat the stock ones. That’s the way I’d do it.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
9/12/2018 9:08am
Ah thanks for the tip—looks like KX100s come with 19/16. Just over $400 for a Tusk set from RM, though the only option they have listed...
Ah thanks for the tip—looks like KX100s come with 19/16. Just over $400 for a Tusk set from RM, though the only option they have listed are blue hubs (not into it at all). Need to recover from the rest of this build, then I'll have to pursue that further.

Could use one more bit of advice if anyone is familiar with suspension. Race Tech told me:

FRSP 314233 – RT FRK SPR 31.2x422 .33kg
SRSP 552471 – RT SK SPR 55x56.5x240 7.1kg

"The shock spring I was able to get the correct rate for your weight. The fork springs however the stiffest we make is a .33 and we would like to run a little stiffer spring ideally. This will be far better then stock for you but the fork spring is not the “ideal” rate and is rather a close enough scenario."

I contacted Cannon Racecraft, and it sounds like they could do a custom one for $140. Waiting to hear back if they would also recommend a slightly stiffer spring—if I can get the ideal from Cannon, is that a no brainer for probably $20 extra?
I ran into the same issue, I think the .33 springs are good for someone around 120-130 lbs and I'm 155. I haven't decided if I'll just try those or try to get stiffer somewhere custom.
9/12/2018 9:28am
If I put in the K85 forks, 'Motocross' & 'Novice/C Class' (what I've been using to get rates), says 0.33 is good up to 165. I'm 240, hah.

Race Tech just emailed me back that they can make me a 0.44 for $180…probably going to go with that.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
9/12/2018 9:44am
Ah ok, ya I wouldn't bother with the .33 then, it will be extremely undersprung.

Post a reply to: Japanese pit bike?

The Latest