Japanese manufacturers, can we have an honest conversation about your chain guide mounting please?

JM485
Edited Date/Time 2/20/2020 8:06pm
I want to know how, in the infinite wisdom present withing the engineering departments of the collective big 4 japanese motorcycle manufacturers, they continue to believe that their chain guide mounting designs are adequate. Somehow to me, a person of average skills and intelligence, it is overwhelmingly obvious that simply bird shit welding a thin aluminum bracket to a thin aluminum swingarm, in an area that is probably the most vulnerable on the entire bike to damage, is simply not a good idea on a critical part like a chain guide. It should be clear to anyone that this simple part coming dislodged from its mounting point could have horrific consequences should it get wrapped around the rear sprocket at just the wrong moment. . . But no, we have, and will continue to, bird shit weld our mounting brackets on and rely on hopes and prayers that this delicate piece somehow remains in place though the unspeakable abuse it is likely to see. I don't ask for much, just a little thought as consideration, but these mounting designs are devoid of anything that could resemble a reasonable amount of due diligence.

As you can see I've had great luck with this little bit over the years, my current tally is 2 swingarms, 1 rear hub, 3 sprockets, and 1 missed race as this has happened not once, not twice, but three fucking times in the same amount of years. Seriously, when will the madness end, and when will the engineers at yamahondazukawi pull their collective craniums from their rectums and realized that what they've been doing for the last 30 years is simply not good enough. Don't make me buy a ktm, I don't want to do it, but at some point sanity needs to prevail. If you've made it this far, thank you for your time reading my rant, and have a great eventing as I scour the web for yet another swingarm to add to my collection.

|
FU2
2/16/2020 10:33pm
Better ask the question, why and how does this happen to u and not to any one else.

Is it a yahama thing or just a rider thing or just bad luck...

Well searching for parts can be fun so have fun with it sir..
JM485
2/16/2020 10:45pm
FU2 wrote:
Better ask the question, why and how does this happen to u and not to any one else. Is it a yahama thing or just a...
Better ask the question, why and how does this happen to u and not to any one else.

I'm about 100% sure I am not the only person this has happened to.

And regardless, the fact remains that their mounting setup leaves a lot to be desired to say the least. Just welding the damn thing one one side, and not even using the entire available welding surface is just lazy, plain and simple, and there's really no excuse for it.
CPR
2/16/2020 10:57pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2020 2:23am
I've never seen that happen on any bike before, but for your own piece of mind if it worries you so much, why not just get it strengthened with a few extra welds whenever you buy a new bike?
That way you can continue to buy which ever brand you wish.

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
2/16/2020 11:04pm
I bet you could break a anvil with a rubber mallet, or cross thread a fire hydrant cap 3 out of 4 times. WhistlingWink
yz133rider
2/16/2020 11:23pm
Get a ktm. Support those who are building it how you want it built!!
Rotaholic
2/16/2020 11:59pm
You are running an after market chain guide, the foot pegs are worn flat, you modified the front case saver and never put in shorter bolts, lower linkage looks like its never been serviced and I doubt the wheel is tracking straight. I've never seen that before, but can now see how it could happen lol
FWYT
2/17/2020 12:30am
Yup. Garbage. I see the Honda ones cleaned off all the time down in Baja. Seems like such a flimsy
WTF design. That Bullet Proof piece linked above is supposed to work pretty well.
NacNac721
2/17/2020 2:04am
Never heard or seen this happen to anybody until now......🤔🤔
Bjorn645
Fantasy
1022nd
2/17/2020 2:17am
used to happen to me a shit load doing enduros but never on an MX track - granted, I wasn't dragging bar through ruts.
8tensolutions
2/17/2020 2:27am
Not to change the subject, but this is a great example when someone asks why a high end MTB costs as much as a moto. It's amazing how "cheap" some things are on motos whereas other pieces are F1 level. It's all about controlling costs where they can.
philG
2/17/2020 6:20am
Extra welding on that will give opportunity for more cracks . Always check the bolts and the brackets when i pull the wheels , which is often. None standard guide too..
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
2/17/2020 6:32am
I would engineer a better mount, one that is adjustable to different sprocket sizes. KTM has an adjustable position chain guild for this purpose. Which leads into a question, this bike one of your hill climb bikes that might use a large tooth rear sprocket? That larger size could add that extra stress to fatigue the mount sooner.
Dudley
2/17/2020 7:19am
Agree they are horrible and they haven’t changed the design in years. First thing I do is buy aftermarket guides, then buy back up guides to place into tool box.
FWYT
2/17/2020 7:35am
Bjorn645 wrote:
used to happen to me a shit load doing enduros but never on an MX track - granted, I wasn't dragging bar through ruts.
Yup. They are shit. Maybe not for moto but obviously off-road guys get worked by rocks more.
Like I say, I've seen them cleaned off in Baja all the time. About as sturdy as a paper cup.
2/17/2020 7:43am
Josh, do you run an o-ring or x-ring chain? They are slightly wider than a non ringed chain, increasing the likelihood for the sides of the chain to catch on the guide. Just a thought.
Moto520
2/17/2020 7:49am
I've never had that problem. Are you replacing the chains/ sprockets at regular intervals with new parts? Are you too tight with the chain adjustment?
FWYT
2/17/2020 7:55am
FU2 wrote:
Better ask the question, why and how does this happen to u and not to any one else. Is it a yahama thing or just a...

Happens to a lot of others, more on the off-road side. Not just Yamaha; I see lots of Hondas but that's because
I'm mainly surrounded by Hondas.
FWYT
2/17/2020 7:56am
Moto520 wrote:
I've never had that problem. Are you replacing the chains/ sprockets at regular intervals with new parts? Are you too tight with the chain adjustment?
It's from hitting rocks.
Moto520
2/17/2020 7:59am
Try the TM Designworks chain guide or go back to stock!
Titan1
2/17/2020 8:07am
I’m the off-road world, Yamaha chain guides are notorious for this. Happens all the time. I’ve done it. And know so many other people that have done the same thing.

No brand is exempt, but it seems way more common on Yamahas.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
2/17/2020 8:15am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2020 8:18am
Have you ever worked with Japanese? I have, it's impossible to tell them that they are wrong. Even when you hold the broken part in front of their face they will refuse that it's their fault or that it's a bad part. "External force" is their go to explanation. Most stressful and least rewarding work place I've ever been in.
So it's not the chainguide or swingarm defect, your just using it wrong "customer abuse"
JeremyK
2/17/2020 8:18am
Is it too soon to rule out improperly torqued sprocket bolts?
offroad949
2/17/2020 8:20am
Ive done three this past year all on new swingarms.
JM485
2/17/2020 8:28am
Rotaholic wrote:
You are running an after market chain guide, the foot pegs are worn flat, you modified the front case saver and never put in shorter bolts...
You are running an after market chain guide, the foot pegs are worn flat, you modified the front case saver and never put in shorter bolts, lower linkage looks like its never been serviced and I doubt the wheel is tracking straight. I've never seen that before, but can now see how it could happen lol
Whatever planet you're living on I would love to experience it.Laughing

1. I run aftermarket chain guides because they are a lot more forgiving then stock, and will tend to slide over a rock or rut rather than dig into it like the aluminum stock guides.

2. Modifying the front case saver like I do is standard practice. Leaving the bolts longer adds a little bit of additional protection in the case of a chain issue like I just had, but you do run the risk of damaging the case in other ways due to the additional leverage if the chain were to hit just right. It's a trade off.

3. You can't even see the linkage, so how the hell would you come to that conclusionPinch It was just serviced a few hours ago BTW, if I'm smart enough to adapt a four stroke swingarm onto the bike you'd think I'd know to keep up on maintenance right?

4. Foot pegs are old, but the angle of the photo makes them look flat. They aren't in real life, they look just like anyone else's pegs.

5. How the hell does any of this have anything to do with a crappy chain guide mount design? If you want to rib me a little bit and poke fun by all means have at it, but you're just making things up at this point that are totally irrelevant and simply not true.
JM485
2/17/2020 8:34am
Josh, do you run an o-ring or x-ring chain? They are slightly wider than a non ringed chain, increasing the likelihood for the sides of the...
Josh, do you run an o-ring or x-ring chain? They are slightly wider than a non ringed chain, increasing the likelihood for the sides of the chain to catch on the guide. Just a thought.
No, I just run a standard chain, I don't really like the O-rings just because of the added drag. This failure was from impact over time, it didn't happen in a rocky section or anything which tells me that it's been brewing for a bit, then finally let go. It would be one thing if this happened and the design was adequate, but when the design is just plain sloppy its kind of annoying.
JM485
2/17/2020 8:41am
Markee wrote:
I would engineer a better mount, one that is adjustable to different sprocket sizes. KTM has an adjustable position chain guild for this purpose. Which leads...
I would engineer a better mount, one that is adjustable to different sprocket sizes. KTM has an adjustable position chain guild for this purpose. Which leads into a question, this bike one of your hill climb bikes that might use a large tooth rear sprocket? That larger size could add that extra stress to fatigue the mount sooner.
Not on this bike, I keep it stock length and just run a 50T in the back, I'll change the front between a 13 and a 14 depending on where/what I'm riding.

I can design up a better mount no problem, but I have a couple of concerns:

1. Lining up the guide perfectly is critical. It can be done, but doing it perfectly I think could be a challenge, and if it gets done wrong it can cause major issues.

2. If I were to machine my own mount and have it welded on I'm worried about locally annealing that area and weakening the material around it. I'd have to imagine the entire swingarm is heat treated after all welding is done, so if I were to weld on it I feel that the surrounding material might become weak. Maybe this really isn't much of a concern and someone can correct me here, and if so that may be the route I'll take.

Post a reply to: Japanese manufacturers, can we have an honest conversation about your chain guide mounting please?

The Latest