Japanese OEM’s - build us 350cc MX bikes…

Robbirob25
8/10/2022 7:19am
I sold my Honda Franchise in 2013. I have ridden and raced Honda's for 18 consecutive years. I bought a KTM 350 SXF a month ago. I have had 250's and 450's. This is the KTM is the most fun bike i have ridden next to when i bought my first Yamaha YZ250F in 2001. The Japanese are completely missing the boat on this one. Just my 2 cents
Hasletjoe
8/10/2022 1:26pm
kiwifan wrote:
I think that the OEMs have likely done their homework and does not see the commercial viability of producing them, otherwise we would of had them...
I think that the OEMs have likely done their homework and does not see the commercial viability of producing them, otherwise we would of had them by now
PTshox wrote:
If you've ever worked in corp america... well you would have had experience with totally clueless management. I mean... folks I wouldn't let baby sit a...
If you've ever worked in corp america... well you would have had experience with totally clueless management. I mean... folks I wouldn't let baby sit a hamster. Really dumb people that got the job because they were so and so's buddy....

I think that's why we haven't seen any major brands build a 350. But that's just me! )
I have and agree, US corps are not about the best person for the job. Curious about the Japanese/Austrian environments. Not much exposure to that on my part.
Broseph
8/10/2022 2:17pm
Honestly I kinda miss the chugging lugging xr600r style power.
If I could get that lazy power in a 240lb bike then yeah boiii.
What you’re looking for exists in the KTM/Husky 450 and 501 enduro bikes. Those things chug incredibly well.
jbonemalone
8/10/2022 2:23pm
Yeah they do all right. But they don’t have to same heavy flywheel huge crane mass power like the old jap dual sports.

The Shop

jbonemalone
8/10/2022 2:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2022 2:25pm
Yeah they do all right. But they don’t have to same heavy flywheel huge crank mass style of power like the old jap dual sports.
8/11/2022 2:41pm
The thing is I don't see a huge market for 350s. Also if you sell CRF350r, you're probably taking away a sale from a CRF450r or...
The thing is I don't see a huge market for 350s. Also if you sell CRF350r, you're probably taking away a sale from a CRF450r or CRF250r, so no net gain. Therefore why spend the R&D?
That’s correct.

In the past the manufactures would have agreed with the major race federations what capacity class would be required for pro racing. The manufacturers
Then invested into the agreed classes.

Building a 350 is moving the goal posts after millions of investment.

The only way it would work would be in the sport became popular enough to have 3 pro classes again.
kiwifan
8/11/2022 3:07pm
Not sure if the KTM/Husky contingent/fans would want Japanese manufacturers making 350's...it would likely take away a lot of sales from the Austrians ....would they be happy about that?
8/11/2022 3:11pm
have you ridden a 300XC? thats what you're looking for.
jbonemalone
8/11/2022 3:30pm
have you ridden a 300XC? thats what you're looking for.
Got one in the garage.
RCMXracing
8/11/2022 3:37pm
Riders would throw money at a Japanese 350 to make it faster. Not sure 350 is the ideal CC’s… maybe it’s 380? Do I hear 400… 425? Ability to detune 450’s with mapping is tiddy’s.
AS64
Fantasy
2175th
8/11/2022 3:53pm
UGOTBIT wrote:
YZ350F would be the Holy Grail
Please, Yamaha.

Please.
8/11/2022 4:58pm
GD350 wrote:
Support the companies that listen to what the customers want instead, which is 350s and fuel injected 2 strokes.
That’s what I’m trying to do. Get them to make it then I’ll buy one and support them.
Don’t want airforks and I’m not a rich enough to buy an Austrian bike and convert aftermarket.
McG194
8/11/2022 5:18pm
PTshox wrote:
If you've ever worked in corp america... well you would have had experience with totally clueless management. I mean... folks I wouldn't let baby sit a...
If you've ever worked in corp america... well you would have had experience with totally clueless management. I mean... folks I wouldn't let baby sit a hamster. Really dumb people that got the job because they were so and so's buddy....

I think that's why we haven't seen any major brands build a 350. But that's just me! )
Should we tell him that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki are not American companies?

I mean, the title of the thread is Japanese 350's, shouldn't that be a clue?
McG194
8/11/2022 5:30pm
The thing is I don't see a huge market for 350s. Also if you sell CRF350r, you're probably taking away a sale from a CRF450r or...
The thing is I don't see a huge market for 350s. Also if you sell CRF350r, you're probably taking away a sale from a CRF450r or CRF250r, so no net gain. Therefore why spend the R&D?
That’s correct. In the past the manufactures would have agreed with the major race federations what capacity class would be required for pro racing. The manufacturers...
That’s correct.

In the past the manufactures would have agreed with the major race federations what capacity class would be required for pro racing. The manufacturers
Then invested into the agreed classes.

Building a 350 is moving the goal posts after millions of investment.

The only way it would work would be in the sport became popular enough to have 3 pro classes again.
"Building a 350 is moving the goal posts after millions of investment."

Sorry, but Austria Inc. already built another set of goal posts, they didn't just move them.

For the doubting Thomases who say there is no class for them I would like to add Exhibit B (as in Mike Brown) into evidence. Mike Brown cleaned up LL's on a 350 in an age class that has no displacement. Last year Emig ran a 150 smoker. I would be willing to bet that more racers around the country are competing in age classes with no displacement requirements versus standard 250/450 classes.
RCMXracing
8/11/2022 6:30pm
Someone built a 400 kit, or maybe one off test build for the Yamaha 450 a while back… can’t remember mag with test, prob MXA, but can’t find anything on the internet w/ quick search.
yz763
8/11/2022 8:16pm
The argument that 350’s would steal sales from the 250 and the 450 is ridiculous. That’s like not building a Silverado 1500 because it would steal sales from the Colorado or 2500/3500. The auto industry created segments to broaden the product offering. This is how one would increase the “brand awareness” and ultimately grow the sport.
PTshox
8/12/2022 12:26am
Folks – Steve Jobs addressed this whole issue already. Simply put the “Experts” have no clue what you should build & what you the consumer wants. There would be no iphone without his attitude. KTM has exploited EXACTLY what Steve concluded. KTM produced the first 350 four stroke following the exact concept. Produce what you like. What you want and would buy as a consumer. Ignore the experts/ racing classes etc... Then test the market to see if you are right. Consumers vote with their money. They like it.. they buy it and you sell more product. If consumers don’t like it… you don’t move product. It’s really simple. Has KTM sold some 350’s???? Ahh… yea. #1 seller in their line up as I understand.

Let expand on this more. I’m seeing comments in this thread around “millions of dollars” in the context of the cost delta to make a 450’s vs 250’s. Really? Anyone here work in Japan with access to that data that can share with us this budget delta between a 450 and 250 program (engine cost.. R&D, etc,)? Can you send me the numbers so I can look them over? I suspect… NOT. Because… no balls. NDA.s etc… You’d lose your job. Sad…And the numbers used in R&D came from? Mars? Pluto? It’s all conjecture. It’s a guess by people that don’t ride. NO CLUE what the actually sales volume would be vs. cost to go from a 250F to a 350F. YOU DON’T KNOW till you produce it and offer it up for sale. You just don’t!!!

Fact: You don’t need millions to run the calc’s on the stresses on a rod/crank/ piston/transmission to produce a displacement engine between a 450 and a 250 (aka a 350). You plug in the numbers to some software… increase some material thickness, produce a prototype and test it. See what breaks …if you’re smart. It’s not Millions. I call BS on millions to do this. Total BS. Disagree- send me the exact data! The real world numbers. If you can't.. you just told all of us you are lazy.

If you can’t send us/me the data with regard to this…. you the Yamaha employee… you’re an armchair quarter back blowing smoke into your own room and the made-up world you live in. I’m not being mean… As a real-world data point… for some strange reason KTM sells a ton of 350 four strokes. Hmmm…. Did they KTM make this all up> Did they stop 350 production? Someone is not paying attention.

Fact: If Yamaha (KTM has said they are doing this) are using the same frame between a 450 and 250 they can certainly produce a 350 without a new frame design. So, the “millions of dollars” related to R&D cost to put a 350 engines in a frame (I’m calling BS on this .. and I have BS degree,,, LOL)…it's imo much less to build this bike … assuming they are claiming the cost to produce a 350 s that kind of money. If you disagree. put me in touch with a Yamaha R&D guy and I will go through the numbers with them. And I’ve been involved in product development as well as sales with companies on the NASDAZ … So... bring it.

Bottom line. 350’s (or even 300. 320’s etc.) work. We, the consumer, don’t give a rat’s ass about the 250/450 racing displacement. We want bikes that fit out need. A bike that we enjoy and is fun to ride Have you notices KTM 150, 300 sales???? 350 sales???. KTM has figured this out. Japan mfg.’s are not paying attention. The market will teach the Japanese mfg lesson. I think that is happening now!
PTshox
8/12/2022 1:20am
user760a wrote:
Everyone who has an interest in dirtbikes should be on a KTM brand. They are the only major manufacturer who cares what the people actually want...
Everyone who has an interest in dirtbikes should be on a KTM brand.

They are the only major manufacturer who cares what the people actually want, and innovates to supply the market with awesome new stuff. The Japanese are experts at thinking "inside the box" and seem to be in a little game of follow the leader with each other.

"we cannot produce a 350 because it will take away from our 450 sales" - what an absolutely idiotic position to take. The KTM brass must laugh out loud at that one on a daily basis
You sir.. .are speaking the truth. I agree. Nuff said
cwel11
8/12/2022 3:05am
I was a Honda guy. Never thought I’d ride a KTM product. Not sure why. I’m on my second FC 350 and I cannot imagine a more perfect platform for us mere mortals to ride. I’m pretty sure the suits in the manufacturers office don’t give a shit about you, so ride the bike that suits you best. If a company doesn’t make the best bike for me I’ll go to the company that does. And kudos to KTM for thinking outside the box and trying new things. Not sure why the Japanese are so stubborn as to not see they can be wrong at times. Maybe a cultural thing.
Toby259
8/12/2022 4:50am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2022 4:51am
RedMoto offers a kit for Honda - turns your 21-22 CRF450 into a 400 using an Athena cylinder kit.
https://www.redmotousa.com/product-page/400rx-engine-kit

Achieve manageable power from your CRF 450 with the woods and motocross friendly 400 Engine Bore Kit from RedMoto.

Tested by factory race teams internationally with race winning performance in the most extreme conditions.

World renowned Italian cylinder and piston manufacturer, Athena. The CRF 400 shares the same technical characteristics of its bigger brother, the CRF 450. It is aimed at the rider who demands power without the brute force of the 450. That doesn’t make the CRF 400 any slower. In fact, it is the bike of choice for professional racers in the most prestigious events around the world.

The RedMoto CRF 400 R/RX engine kit swaps the original top end (piston, cylinder, seals) with one that has 92mm bore to reach a total displacement of 413cc.

**ECU Remap NOT Required**

it would be sweet if they made a similar kit for the YZ, KX, etc... but would it sell?
it seems like a lot of moto guys want to roll up to the starting line with the biggest, fastest motor they can afford.
nytsmaC
8/12/2022 5:19am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2022 5:21am
TM also sells WAY more 125’s, 144’s and 300’s of both 2 and 4 stroke variety than 250/450’s. Japan seems to just be asleep at the wheel, unfortunately.

Even their off road versions are just MX bikes with softer valving, an 18” rear wheel and a kickstand. No bigger tank, wide ratio trans, upgraded cooling system, different engine tuning, etc. They are mailing it in and have been for a long time now.

I’d love to see them offer 350’s in their lineups, competition is good.. But it really doesn’t seem like they care enough to do more than the bare minimum these days in terms of being innovative or forward thinking. Yamaha is the only one that seems to offer anything exciting in their lineup. Good by Japan’s standard but still pretty lackluster compared to the European offerings.
RMT
8/12/2022 6:37am
Any of you guys ever look at MIC sales numbers?
8/12/2022 6:47am
nytsmaC wrote:
TM also sells WAY more 125’s, 144’s and 300’s of both 2 and 4 stroke variety than 250/450’s. Japan seems to just be asleep at the...
TM also sells WAY more 125’s, 144’s and 300’s of both 2 and 4 stroke variety than 250/450’s. Japan seems to just be asleep at the wheel, unfortunately.

Even their off road versions are just MX bikes with softer valving, an 18” rear wheel and a kickstand. No bigger tank, wide ratio trans, upgraded cooling system, different engine tuning, etc. They are mailing it in and have been for a long time now.

I’d love to see them offer 350’s in their lineups, competition is good.. But it really doesn’t seem like they care enough to do more than the bare minimum these days in terms of being innovative or forward thinking. Yamaha is the only one that seems to offer anything exciting in their lineup. Good by Japan’s standard but still pretty lackluster compared to the European offerings.
Yamaha's 4 stroke off-road versions do have a bigger tank, wide ratio trans, upgraded cooling system (plug and play fan option for FX, included fan for WR), different engine mapping. I would wager thats why the blue bikes are the most popular after the Austrian brands at every off-road race I go to. I agree that the Honda and Kawi are just MX bikes with 18s and a kickstand though.

Post a reply to: Japanese OEM’s - build us 350cc MX bikes…

The Latest