James Bubba Stewart "Just the (legal) facts"

Danster
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 6:56pm
A good legal team has a lot to work with to get at least reduced charges or a plea:

The 911 call made by the off duty officer seems to indicate that he may have passed the
truck at a high speed, or maybe unsafely. He said he "slowed down" and when they got up
next to him, he flashed his badge.

There is no question that using blue/red lights is illegal. But, it would not be the first time
other drivers on the road made a attempt to get the attention of someone who was driving dangerously,
It would be interesting to get some info from other drivers who may have witnessed the off duty officers
speeding or passing other vehicles. I find it hard to believe that James & friend just randomly decided to
target a vehicle to try out the lights.

It can be argued, that while use of the blue/red light bar is illegal, its not unheard of for a driver to flash
their headlights or otherwise signal a driver who has the potential to endanger others. And, FHP or not,
they were off duty and had no reason to be speeding. In fact, they should know better. There is no proof,
other then the off duty officer's claim, that James was intending for them to pull over.

One report said the passenger rolled down the window and told the officer to slow down. Nothing was
said about motioning them to pull over. There has been no mention of either James or his passenger
using a badge, a uniform or otherwise identifying themselves as officers. As far as I can tell, no other
law enforcent gear was found in the vehicle to allow them to complete the whole cop look. Ideally, there
will be some logical explanation of why he even had a light bar in the first place-like volunteer, etc.-so at
least he can offer another explanation for it being in the truck.

The question is of intent and I think there is enough evidence (or lack of it) to show that neither of them
were attempting to represent themselves as law enforcement. Use of the light bar was bad judgement.
Best case he gets the whole thing dismissed. Next best is to plea to reduced charge of misdemeanor
use of the lights.
|
mrquick
4/8/2011 2:17am
If a police car unmarked or otherwise pulls in behind you and turns the blue lights on you...do you really think they want you to slow down or pull over?
Void Main
4/8/2011 2:19am
Why didn't you just update your other thread with this rather than starting another one?
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
4/8/2011 2:23am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2011 3:24am
"there will be some logical explanation of why he even had a light bar in the first place-like volunteer, etc.-so at
least he can offer another explanation for it being in the truck."

The only logical reason would be...being a LEO.

Just having those lights on your dash down here is enough to get you charged & convicted if they want you bad enough.
Using them,then trying to hide them just makes it worse.

Also what other drivers do to slow people down is irrelevant in this case.....and has nothing to do with the facts.

If it goes to a jury trial....
The judge will read the law to the Jury and say if there is any evidence that law.21312blah.blah was broken you must convict them (without a reasonable doubt).
The prosecutor will start opening statements telling a little story and saying if James admitted to it etc....
Then his defense will get up there and give an opening statement.
The prosecutor will call the arresting officer first and go step by step though the police report and also show that the truck was registered to James and that the lights were in the truck (may even use finger prints as proof on the lights).
Then so on & so on...
They will stick directly to the facts of the case (not like the crap you see on tv).

As I said in your other thread.
"All they have to do is prove he used the lights and Rado hid them.
Even if the cops were going down the freeway at 90mph smoking weed,banging hookers & doing blow ,James still had no right within the law to flash red & blue lights at them.He should have called 911 and let the real police handle it.
That is the way the courts & State will see it."

Also,if the cops asked Rado about the lights and he lied about not having any,then they found them,that is tampering with evidence,regardless if James was charged or not.Reason being is because they were investigating an allege crime.

Also how did the cops know he had the lights in his truck,did they have X-ray vision?

As for getting other witnesses/drivers involved,they would have to find them first.
Then both the prosecutor & James defense would meet with them at the same time for a deposition.
That could hurt James if one guy/witness seen the lights....
That deposition could be used in court as hard evidence against him ,even if they didn't call the guy as a witness on the day of the trial.Regardless of how the off duty cops were driving or what they were doing.

If you had some sort of facts/solid evidence James was not in that truck or there were no blue & red lights in that truck.Or they never displayed the lights, you would have an argument..... Based on the law.

I'm certain the charges will more then likely be reduced/an offer made and I stated the reason in your other thread.
jndmx
4/8/2011 5:23am
The charges will probably be reduced because James has money.......no other reason.

Someone without his financial resources would be sitting in jail right now waiting on a felony trial.

The Shop

txmxer
4/8/2011 5:32am
the question is one of dumb.

Nothing in the original post has shit to do with the law and what James did. I'm not a lawyer nor a legal expert...but, I know that your arguments are 100% stupid.
danman
4/8/2011 5:50am
Regardless of what the cops were doing, if it is against Florida state law to use the blue/red flashing lights, JS broke the law.
It doesn't matter if the cops were going 200 mph or swerving in and out of traffic, they didn't get caught. JS isn't the law, so he made the decision to use the lights, for what reason, only he knows.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
4/8/2011 6:47am
OP-so what was James' intent? Was he trying to slow down a speeding vehicle? If so, he just admitted impersonating a LEO, as he was trying to do their job. He doesn't have a winning argument in this. Best case scenario for him is to throw himself on the mercy of the court, take his lumps and move on. I can't see an acquittal...
rc4187
4/8/2011 6:47am
Your facts are speculation.

Actual facts:

Used blue/red lights to slow someone down

Hid lights in luggage (hiding the evidence)

(and as far as i know... this is all they are charged for)

To me... I really don't care what happens from all this. But hiding the lights is evidence to me that they knew what they did was very wrong and it won't matter what their "intent" was.
Dasmonger
Fantasy
277th
4/8/2011 7:05am
My parents neighbour's kid (21 yr old ) did the same thing in central florida. He even had a police siren installed in his car. This idiot would apparently chase down people and wait for them to pull over, but then would just take off.

He got caught after pulling this stunt right in front off 2 parked sheriffs cars. All he got was a year probation, and a fine..

So worst case should just be probation for JS?
Mini Elsinore
4/8/2011 7:08am
I'm guessing you did not attend law school...
Yeah, but someone probably told him as a kid that he would "make a good lawyer because [he] likes to argue." He thought that meant he could render legal opinions..... Wink
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
4/8/2011 7:09am
MT MX wrote:
I found this awhile ago. It says he's been charged with a first degree misdemeanorhttp://www.motorcycle-usa.com/777/9591/Motorcycle-Article/James-Stewart-Arrested-in-Orlando.aspx
Court records show different.
1. FALSELY PERSONATING OFFICER 843.08 Third Degree - Felony 03/28/2011

OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS
03/29/2011 Complaint
03/29/2011 Bond Filed
04/01/2011 Notice of Appearance; Waiver of Arraignment
04/01/2011 Motion for Statement of Particulars
04/01/2011 Written Plea of Not Guilty
04/01/2011 Request
for Discovery
04/01/2011 Motion to Produce
Police Reports
4/8/2011 7:11am
jndmx wrote:
The charges will probably be reduced because James has money.......no other reason. Someone without his financial resources would be sitting in jail right now waiting on...
The charges will probably be reduced because James has money.......no other reason.

Someone without his financial resources would be sitting in jail right now waiting on a felony trial.
His bail was $1000. Don't you only have to pay 10%? If you can't come up with that you are better off in jail getting 3 meals a day.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
4/8/2011 7:18am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2011 7:20am
Dasmonger wrote:
My parents neighbour's kid (21 yr old ) did the same thing in central florida. He even had a police siren installed in his car. This...
My parents neighbour's kid (21 yr old ) did the same thing in central florida. He even had a police siren installed in his car. This idiot would apparently chase down people and wait for them to pull over, but then would just take off.

He got caught after pulling this stunt right in front off 2 parked sheriffs cars. All he got was a year probation, and a fine..

So worst case should just be probation for JS?
It's possible he may get off with hardly anything.
It's even possible they could just defer the case for a year and if he is on good behavior for a year ,dismiss it.
The possibilities are endless.....

But if for some reason it went to trial, where the case can be argued.
IMO there is no way ,going by at least the media reports we have seen
so far that he would get an acquittal.
We seen the truck & the lights.
Once the judge read the law and the prosecutor was sitting there
with a set of big red & blue police lights in front of them with an evidence tag on
them,that jury is gonna think to themselves...."hmmmmmmm GUILTY!!!". Smile
That is just how a lot of people are/think.
MT MX
4/8/2011 7:22am
FastEddy wrote:
Court records show different. 1. FALSELY PERSONATING OFFICER 843.08 [b]Third Degree - Felony [/b] 03/28/2011 OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS 03/29/2011 Complaint 03/29/2011 Bond Filed 04/01/2011 Notice...
Court records show different.
1. FALSELY PERSONATING OFFICER 843.08 Third Degree - Felony 03/28/2011

03/29/2011 Complaint
03/29/2011 Bond Filed
04/01/2011 Written Plea of Not Guilty
04/01/2011 Request
for Discovery
04/01/2011 Motion to Produce
Police Reports
Thanks. I just noticed the link that I posted a couple days ago and thought that was interesting.
Maybe that is what Jame's attorney's are aiming for.
SteveS
4/8/2011 7:29am
The lawyers will just go through the usual motions until the supercross season is over so he doesn't have to deal with it. Then he's free for 7 months to deal with the issue before he has to work again. They will not go to trial unless the prosecutor is just wanting to be a real jerk and grandstand. They will plead down to an equipment violation if possible.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
4/8/2011 7:40am
There is a lot to work with, whether true or not (I heard a judge tell another lawyer once that not all evidence is true, and not everything that's true is evidence).

All of the stuff listed are ordinary steps in the process.

At the end of the day, there doesn't seem to be any doubt that he used light he wasn't authorized to and that the lights weren't used to engage in a more serious crime. If no one goes overboard, it will get resolved sensibly, as is the case in most proceedings whether a famous person is involved or not. There's not a lot more drama to be milked out of this.
jtomasik
4/8/2011 7:49am
Danster wrote:
A good legal team has a lot to work with to get at least reduced charges or a plea: The 911 call made by the off...
A good legal team has a lot to work with to get at least reduced charges or a plea:

The 911 call made by the off duty officer seems to indicate that he may have passed the
truck at a high speed, or maybe unsafely. He said he "slowed down" and when they got up

There is no question that using blue/red lights is illegal. But, it would not be the first time
other drivers on the road made a attempt to get the attention of someone who was driving dangerously,
It would be interesting to get some info from other drivers who may have witnessed the off duty officers
speeding or passing other vehicles. I find it hard to believe that James & friend just randomly decided to

It can be argued, that while use of the blue/red light bar is illegal, its not unheard of for a driver to flash
their headlights or otherwise signal a driver who has the potential to endanger others. And, FHP or not,
they were off duty and had no reason to be speeding. In fact, they should know better. There is no proof,
other then the off duty officer's claim, that James was intending for them to pull over.

One report said the passenger rolled down the window and told the officer to slow down. Nothing was
said about motioning them to pull over. There has been no mention of either James or his passenger
using a badge, a uniform or otherwise identifying themselves as officers. As far as I can tell, no other
law enforcent gear was found in the vehicle to allow them to complete the whole cop look. Ideally, there
will be some logical explanation of why he even had a light bar in the first place-like volunteer, etc.-so at

The question is of intent and I think there is enough evidence (or lack of it) to show that neither of them
were attempting to represent themselves as law enforcement. Use of the light bar was bad judgement.
Best case he gets the whole thing dismissed. Next best is to plea to reduced charge of misdemeanor
use of the lights.
The worst thing about this is your avatar. I guess it means you're interested in women, and that means there's a possibility you can reproduce.

God help us all.
4/8/2011 8:22am
He already gave a statement. Case closed. Now they plea bargain to get rid of the felony. Could still mean jail time. While he isn't racing nationals would be a good time.
4/8/2011 8:57am
kawasa84 wrote:
If you can read sbarrington you will see he ISNT charged with a felony.
That article is mistaken. Personating an officer is a 3rd degree felony in Florida, there is no misdemeanor charge for personating an officer.
txmxer
4/8/2011 9:04am
Danster wrote:
A good legal team has a lot to work with to get at least reduced charges or a plea: The 911 call made by the off...

use of the lights.
jtomasik wrote:
The worst thing about this is your avatar. I guess it means you're interested in women, and that means there's a possibility you can reproduce. God...
The worst thing about this is your avatar. I guess it means you're interested in women, and that means there's a possibility you can reproduce.

God help us all.
I'm glad you came back...I appreciate your perspective.
MT MX
4/8/2011 9:35am
Has anyone heard what's the status of Rado?
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
4/8/2011 9:45am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2011 9:46am
MT MX wrote:
Going by court records...his charge is more serious on paper then James,due to it being a 2nd degree felony.

Charges: JEHRROD, QUINAULT THAMES

Date
1. CR-TAMPERING WITH PHYSICAL EVIDENCE 918.13 Second Degree - Felony 03/28/2011
Docket List
03/29/2011 Complaint
03/29/2011 Bond Filed
04/01/2011 Demand for Discovery
04/01/2011 Motion to Produce Police Reports
cpj36
4/8/2011 11:02am
MT MX wrote:
FastEddy wrote:
Going by court records...his charge is more serious on paper then James,due to it being a 2nd degree felony. Charges: JEHRROD, QUINAULT THAMES Date 1. CR-TAMPERING...
Going by court records...his charge is more serious on paper then James,due to it being a 2nd degree felony.

Date
Docket List
03/29/2011 Complaint
03/29/2011 Bond Filed
I don't know but wouldn't it actually still be his lights until the police take it into evidence? I'm not sure when something becomes evidence, or if you have to do it knowing you're tampering and wouldn't you have to know that it's actually evidence?

I thought a Miranda warning was to let you know anything you say from that point can be used as evidence, at the point he's packing the lights to take on his trip he doesn't really even know what the cops want or if the off duty badge is real.

It seems like fleeing a badge without ovassive driving and tampering charge may not be so clear cut.
SteveS
4/8/2011 11:10am
MT MX wrote:
FastEddy wrote:
Going by court records...his charge is more serious on paper then James,due to it being a 2nd degree felony. Charges: JEHRROD, QUINAULT THAMES Date 1. CR-TAMPERING...

Date
Docket List
03/29/2011 Complaint
03/29/2011 Bond Filed
cpj36 wrote:
I don't know but wouldn't it actually still be his lights until the police take it into evidence? I'm not sure when something becomes evidence, or...
I don't know but wouldn't it actually still be his lights until the police take it into evidence? I'm not sure when something becomes evidence, or if you have to do it knowing you're tampering and wouldn't you have to know that it's actually evidence?

I thought a Miranda warning was to let you know anything you say from that point can be used as evidence, at the point he's packing the lights to take on his trip he doesn't really even know what the cops want or if the off duty badge is real.

It seems like fleeing a badge without ovassive driving and tampering charge may not be so clear cut.
If you throw the bag of pot out the window when they turn the flashing lights on and are chewing on the joint when they pull you over....
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
4/8/2011 11:19am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2011 11:24am
cpj36 wrote:
I don't know but wouldn't it actually still be his lights until the police take it into evidence? I'm not sure when something becomes evidence, or...

If the cops are investigating something,like looking for a gun,a knife,a light ,etc.... and you attempt to hide it or do hide it for some one (or for yourself),it is considered tampering with physical evidence.

They were stopped by real on duty cops at the airport.
I'm sure the cops asked them about the lights and more then likely they were like.... "WTF are you talking about"?
Doesn't sound like they offered them up willingly at first,since they were hidden in luggage.
Cops prolly searched everything,just as they would have if someone was shooting a gun out the car.
Someone saying they seen it is normally enough evidence to give them probable cause to search (especially if it 3 off duty cops).

Anything you say before or after your rights are read is evidence and valid in court etc...
That would be like saying.....making a verbal threat to a cop doesn't count ,because I was not read my rights yet.
cpj36
4/8/2011 11:32am
SteveS wrote:
If you throw the bag of pot out the window when they turn the flashing lights on and are chewing on the joint when they pull...
If you throw the bag of pot out the window when they turn the flashing lights on and are chewing on the joint when they pull you over....
But if I eat the joint, even if he seen me, there's no evidence. There's been many joints eaten due to a simple, unrelated traffic stop, seems logical that you were just eating a joint but if he found it while writing your ticket, it would become evidence.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
4/8/2011 11:38am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2011 11:52am
cpj36 wrote:
But if I eat the joint, even if he seen me, there's no evidence. There's been many joints eaten due to a simple, unrelated traffic stop...
But if I eat the joint, even if he seen me, there's no evidence. There's been many joints eaten due to a simple, unrelated traffic stop, seems logical that you were just eating a joint but if he found it while writing your ticket, it would become evidence.
Not if someone seen you with the joint first in your hand or on your dash board(3 off duty cops). Wink
That would also be the reason they stopped you,due to seeing a joint (just as they did with the light).
They aren't that stupid....
You would more then likely be charged with destroying evidence after swallowing it,they may even try to choke it out of you lol.
If you didn't fess up to it,it would go to trial and if they drug tested you for THC to help prove you ate it,you would more then likely get convicted.
It also doesn't matter how many people have ate joints,irrelevant to you eating one.

Post a reply to: James Bubba Stewart "Just the (legal) facts"

The Latest