Jake Weimer...

MXMattii
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:02pm
I was bummed after seeing the "Inside the Outdoors - Washougal". That guy speaks about motocross like the passion is gone! A bit like a guy who is wrestling with a burnout! Damn! Is that the better chose of Mike Fisher?? Was that the guy that got chosen above CP377?? DAMN!

We could see in the season that the Jake was struggling but now we also see that he didn't show any power, any passion, any ... you name it!! Does it come due the program he follows?? Not everyone is capable of running high intensity training programs! I mean he wouldn't be the first one who couldn't work with Aldon Baker because it was to heavy!!
|
peelout
12/2/2011 3:29pm
yeah, that episode bummed me out as well. i'm a big fan, always have been, and i hope he figures it out. not every day a rider from the Utah/Idaho series turns into a big name in the sport, wins a championship, and gets a factory ride
chrisbuehler
12/2/2011 3:32pm
MXMattii wrote:
I was bummed after seeing the "Inside the Outdoors - Washougal". That guy speaks about motocross like the passion is gone! A bit like a guy...
I was bummed after seeing the "Inside the Outdoors - Washougal". That guy speaks about motocross like the passion is gone! A bit like a guy who is wrestling with a burnout! Damn! Is that the better chose of Mike Fisher?? Was that the guy that got chosen above CP377?? DAMN!

We could see in the season that the Jake was struggling but now we also see that he didn't show any power, any passion, any ... you name it!! Does it come due the program he follows?? Not everyone is capable of running high intensity training programs! I mean he wouldn't be the first one who couldn't work with Aldon Baker because it was to heavy!!
I that it was a joke that some people thought he could produce the same results as CP. CP is def a level ahead of Jake IMO but unlike most in the USA I love Pourcel.
Torco1
12/2/2011 3:33pm
There's a lot more guys out there that share the same thoughts as him. He was just the one that admitted it on TV.

The Shop

akmx17
12/2/2011 3:38pm
Weimer is one of my favorite riders.
I think his style and natural talent is awesome.
He reminds me so much of a young Windham at time.
From past videos wit Weimer and the recent outdoors episode, its pretty clear like Jake has just lost all confidence in himself.
In fact he almost looks depressed as he reflects on his life.

Overall though for the rut he seems to be in he didn't really decent in the outdoors.
12th Hangtown
6th Freestone
9th Highpoint
8th Buds Creek

18th Thunder Valley
13th Red Bud
7th Spring Creek
12th Washugal

6th Unadilla
6th Southwick
5th Steel City
9th Pala

The area was the worse part of Jakes season.
I imagine his segment for the Shougal episode was shot right before it or right after it which would explain why he was so down on himself.

You have to remember he also missed the whole SX series on the couch
with a 7th in salt lake and a 6th in Vegas jake proved he was fast and for just coming off the couch and jumping in did extremely well. I'm sure he wonders what if, if he would of been there since A1.

Also like the video said, he is on the same program as RV and living in RV's shadow can't be fun.

I believe Fisher saw something in Jake.
Jake has just forgot the fun of the sport and is to hard on himself.
He needs a confidence boost.
Hanaa80
12/2/2011 3:49pm
MXMattii wrote:
I was bummed after seeing the "Inside the Outdoors - Washougal". That guy speaks about motocross like the passion is gone! A bit like a guy...

Doesn't show any passion? Being absolutely bummed when getting beat is also a way of showing passion I think. Sounds like he's way too hard on himself. Havin a factory ride, the best trainer and a team mate who's winning - I can only imagine the pressure.
MXMattii
12/2/2011 3:51pm
akmx17 wrote:
Weimer is one of my favorite riders. I think his style and natural talent is awesome. He reminds me so much of a young Windham at...
Weimer is one of my favorite riders.
I think his style and natural talent is awesome.
He reminds me so much of a young Windham at time.
From past videos wit Weimer and the recent outdoors episode, its pretty clear like Jake has just lost all confidence in himself.
In fact he almost looks depressed as he reflects on his life.

Overall though for the rut he seems to be in he didn't really decent in the outdoors.
12th Hangtown
6th Freestone
9th Highpoint
8th Buds Creek

18th Thunder Valley
13th Red Bud
7th Spring Creek
12th Washugal

6th Unadilla
6th Southwick
5th Steel City
9th Pala

The area was the worse part of Jakes season.
I imagine his segment for the Shougal episode was shot right before it or right after it which would explain why he was so down on himself.

You have to remember he also missed the whole SX series on the couch
with a 7th in salt lake and a 6th in Vegas jake proved he was fast and for just coming off the couch and jumping in did extremely well. I'm sure he wonders what if, if he would of been there since A1.

Also like the video said, he is on the same program as RV and living in RV's shadow can't be fun.

I believe Fisher saw something in Jake.
Jake has just forgot the fun of the sport and is to hard on himself.
He needs a confidence boost.
But how do you boost someones confidence if you train with Villopoto?? A guy that kills Jake on training??

Is it smart to train together with someone that is two or three levels faster then you?? If RV2 was only 1 Level better then Jake, You could say: Yes it is smart because Jake can hook him into Villopoto and boost his own speed but now?? And the difference between Jake and Ryan is big outdoors, at supercross they can boost each other but outdoors the difference between each other is to big!
Hando
12/2/2011 3:53pm
i can see where he is coming from...but honestly most "real jobs" are even more lame then MX.

Chances are he will be in the sport another 5 years at max..then he has the rest of his life to do what we all have to do: live the same day over and over again.

He should be appreciative of it and enjoy it while it lasts because in the grand scheme of things, a career in MX is short!
Phillips467
12/2/2011 4:02pm
I think Jake's a lot better at Supercross, always has been, and i definitely expect a lot more from him in 2012. Hopefully he can build up confidence indoors and carry that through to the outdoors next year.
Hank_Thrill
12/2/2011 4:31pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2011 5:09pm
Motocross is a hell of a lot tougher mentally than other sports. In nascar, it is somewhat of a coin-toss who can win each event (run the daytona 500 3X's over and you are likely to get three different winners). In football, a team will play different rivals every week, losing some games that lower confidence, and winning some games that boost confidence. As we all know, motocross is not like that. Each time a guy like Jake loses, or doesn't even come close to winning, his confidence lowers even more. Of course, he could try and talk himself into believing he can run up from, but if the gate drops and he's in his normal position 7th -9th (or whatever it was this season. I expect him to do better next year) in comparison to everyone else, all that self talk goes out the window when the checkered flag is waved. Simply put: there's a difference in believing you can win, and actually knowing you can win. Confidence comes from past experiences, and so the best way to build confidence is to either win, or come really stinking close.

Anyone who ever went to public schools should remember how there was a pecking order, or a hierarchy of class rank among students after the first month of either jr. high or high school. Nobody got together and discussed who would be the top student, the stud, who everyone would suck up to, or who would get bullied. This pecking order just naturally happened (not really, it is based on factors like looks, finances, cars, grades, cool clothes, athletic ability, or the ability to have a beer hook up - stupid stuff like that). The fascinating thing is once this pecking order is established, for the most part, it generally stays exactly the same throughout the school year, and throughout high school.

The same thing happens to these guys racing motocross. Next time a season rolls around, pay attention how well riders do at the beginning of the season, where they finish, and how consistent their finishes stay within that range. I think that's why everyone is so hungry and aggressive at the beginning of the season - especially A1. They all come in with fresh confidence, sometimes on new teams, or new bikes, and the mystery of this pecking order has yet to be established. It is the closest thing to a fresh start the sport has. Once the season rolls on and this order is established, riders pretty much start finishing where they expect themselves to finish, and a lot of that hunger at the beginning of the season has somewhat evaporated (unless contract time is up). I think what Jake is experiencing is similar to what a bunch of other riders who never finish on the box experience. Especially guys coming into the 450 class who are used to finishing on the podium, winning races, and bringing home titles.
12/2/2011 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2013 2:29pm
MXMattii wrote:

I that it was a joke that some people thought he could produce the same results as CP. CP is def a level ahead of Jake...
I that it was a joke that some people thought he could produce the same results as CP. CP is def a level ahead of Jake IMO but unlike most in the USA I love Pourcel.
message deleted
Hando
12/2/2011 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2011 4:39pm
Motocross is a hell of a lot tougher mentally than other sports. In nascar, it is somewhat of a coin-toss who can win each event (run...
Motocross is a hell of a lot tougher mentally than other sports. In nascar, it is somewhat of a coin-toss who can win each event (run the daytona 500 3X's over and you are likely to get three different winners). In football, a team will play different rivals every week, losing some games that lower confidence, and winning some games that boost confidence. As we all know, motocross is not like that. Each time a guy like Jake loses, or doesn't even come close to winning, his confidence lowers even more. Of course, he could try and talk himself into believing he can run up from, but if the gate drops and he's in his normal position 7th -9th (or whatever it was this season. I expect him to do better next year) in comparison to everyone else, all that self talk goes out the window when the checkered flag is waved. Simply put: there's a difference in believing you can win, and actually knowing you can win. Confidence comes from past experiences, and so the best way to build confidence is to either win, or come really stinking close.

Anyone who ever went to public schools should remember how there was a pecking order, or a hierarchy of class rank among students after the first month of either jr. high or high school. Nobody got together and discussed who would be the top student, the stud, who everyone would suck up to, or who would get bullied. This pecking order just naturally happened (not really, it is based on factors like looks, finances, cars, grades, cool clothes, athletic ability, or the ability to have a beer hook up - stupid stuff like that). The fascinating thing is once this pecking order is established, for the most part, it generally stays exactly the same throughout the school year, and throughout high school.

The same thing happens to these guys racing motocross. Next time a season rolls around, pay attention how well riders do at the beginning of the season, where they finish, and how consistent their finishes stay within that range. I think that's why everyone is so hungry and aggressive at the beginning of the season - especially A1. They all come in with fresh confidence, sometimes on new teams, or new bikes, and the mystery of this pecking order has yet to be established. It is the closest thing to a fresh start the sport has. Once the season rolls on and this order is established, riders pretty much start finishing where they expect themselves to finish, and a lot of that hunger at the beginning of the season has somewhat evaporated (unless contract time is up). I think what Jake is experiencing is similar to what a bunch of other riders who never finish on the box experience. Especially guys coming into the 450 class who are used to finishing on the podium, winning races, and bringing home titles.
Good post, and VERY true!!

In high school, I always thought it was funny how all the hot girls would hang out with the rich guys (i grew up in a wealthy area)
Grendel
12/2/2011 4:50pm
Weimer is smart guy and always straightforward. Don't let a little cynicism make you think he's over it.
pacetruckdrvr
12/2/2011 5:29pm
I like Weimer,but I cant stand his interviews. He will not make eye contact with the camera, it drives me crazy, his eye dart all over the place but not at the camera.
GuppyGahoo
12/2/2011 5:53pm
I like Weimer,but I cant stand his interviews. He will not make eye contact with the camera, it drives me crazy, his eye dart all over...
I like Weimer,but I cant stand his interviews. He will not make eye contact with the camera, it drives me crazy, his eye dart all over the place but not at the camera.
That is a great reason to not like someone. Huh
12/2/2011 6:22pm
Its called "Pro Racing" for a reason (yes it is a job) you have to work hard to accomplish anything in it Just like any sport you have to push yourself and train even when you don't feel like it or want to do something else (play). When a pro gets hurt and has some time off he can discover different distractions and can make it hard to get back into the routine and give up those distractions.
Mike D
12/2/2011 6:43pm
"Was that the guy that got chosen above CP377?? DAMN!"

You should have titled this post CP377. Take your euro drama queen shit and shove it!

NOT, making excuses for Jake, but you really are just bummed that some euro fag didnt get the ride.
Camp332
12/2/2011 6:50pm
Mike D wrote:
"Was that the guy that got chosen above CP377?? DAMN!" You should have titled this post CP377. Take your euro drama queen shit and shove it...
"Was that the guy that got chosen above CP377?? DAMN!"

You should have titled this post CP377. Take your euro drama queen shit and shove it!

NOT, making excuses for Jake, but you really are just bummed that some euro fag didnt get the ride.
Ignorance is bliss in ^Mike D's hood.
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
12/2/2011 9:06pm
Motocross is a hell of a lot tougher mentally than other sports. In nascar, it is somewhat of a coin-toss who can win each event (run...

Great post, great analogy, spot on.
bvm111
12/2/2011 10:06pm
MXMattii wrote:

I that it was a joke that some people thought he could produce the same results as CP. CP is def a level ahead of Jake...
wait he was a level ahead when? when he was pulling off of the track and running away back to france and doing the same there. i think it is disengenious to say something like that... Jake is a pretty talented guy and maybe he wears his heart on his sleeve a bit and shows that he wasnt having fun out there on the bike, but to make the leap that he was a poor choice over CP is a big stretch my friend.
cason402
12/3/2011 1:25am
MXMattii wrote:

bvm111 wrote:
wait he was a level ahead when? when he was pulling off of the track and running away back to france and doing the same there...
wait he was a level ahead when? when he was pulling off of the track and running away back to france and doing the same there. i think it is disengenious to say something like that... Jake is a pretty talented guy and maybe he wears his heart on his sleeve a bit and shows that he wasnt having fun out there on the bike, but to make the leap that he was a poor choice over CP is a big stretch my friend.
the decision Kawi made on Jake had little to do with probability of best results, and anyone who follows this stuff should know it.

Kawi had a #1 rider, they were looking for a backup rider. CP with his past results had the confidence to believe himself to be worth #1 rider money. He was principled enough to hold out for it. JW had a few national wins and a 250 SX championship, a rookie who wanted a 450 ride and would accept the salary of a rider stepping up. That was Kawi's legit business decision.

CP is a badass, has handed RD and TC big cans of whoopass for a solid two seasons. I respect the guy for his decisions, the guy certainly knows the incredible price that can be paid at those speeds.
JB 19
12/3/2011 2:22am
I thought the salary that Pourcel was demanding was what got him passed over...........
jamma10
12/3/2011 3:01am
JB 19 wrote:
I thought the salary that Pourcel was demanding was what got him passed over...........
Page 42:
Pourcel Interview

Previous Statement
“I’ve read and heard many of the things that have been said about me and my pursuit of a ride for 2011 and nothing I’ve seen has accurately portrayed the situation. I prefer to conduct my business dealings in private but feel this situation needs to be addressed publicly to combat the misinformation that is out there. The only thing that I have asked for or have sought, has been something that would provide me with a program that is comparable to the way that that my competitive set of riders are being compensated and supported. I am not “holding out” for a specific amount of compensation as has been stated by a certain corporate spokesperson, but I have sought and continue to work toward a deal that allows me to have the resources I need to be competitive and to plan for my future after racing. I understand that times are hard for everyone and economic realities apply to me too, but I have to have access to the same type of resources that my competition have in order to be competitive with them. I’ve invested the results of my success so far in the United States back into the United States and hope to be able to continue to race there and enjoy the way of life there, in what I consider my second home country.'
burnside
12/3/2011 3:13am
Great post up there @Hank_Thrill.

The 450 class seems to engulf riders like quicksand. As a lites winner, if your not in those top battles your not in the spot light and your probably feeling shit about your career. When it was Reed + Stewart (or RC) beating the field by 30 secs, 3rd spot was still open on the podium. Now breaking the top 4 'usually' means beating Reed, Dungey, Stewart or RV - and how many riders in the 2012 class can do that? Canard?

I think the 450 class (in its current form) must be especially brutal for guys like Tedesco, Weimer, Milsaps, Tickle.. guys on that tier. All past winners and champions, but realistically they now have little chance of winning / beating James Stewart & co. Where does that leave your ego & confidence?

One guy I'm curious to see through the whole season is Josh Hansen.
jamma10
12/3/2011 3:17am
I wish Hansen would race outdoors too. I don't care if he finishes 10-20th, riders that talented should be out there and he would bring a little extra spice to the series.
PaleBlue
12/3/2011 3:28am
I like Weimer,but I cant stand his interviews. He will not make eye contact with the camera, it drives me crazy, his eye dart all over...
How, exactly, does anybody make 'eye contact' with a machine? A camera is NOT a person. Trained actors (and politicians) can fool you into thinking they are talking to you (through the camera) but it's an act.
P.S. I think you should get 'driven crazy' a little less easily; you'll live longer.
burnside
12/3/2011 4:19am
PaleBlue wrote:
How, exactly, does anybody make 'eye contact' with a machine? A camera is NOT a person. Trained actors (and politicians) can fool you into thinking they...
How, exactly, does anybody make 'eye contact' with a machine? A camera is NOT a person. Trained actors (and politicians) can fool you into thinking they are talking to you (through the camera) but it's an act.
P.S. I think you should get 'driven crazy' a little less easily; you'll live longer.
I can't remember the clip off the top of my head, but its actually quite rare a film maker will ask for the subject to 'look into the camera', usually they will be speaking to the director, who's usually to the side of the camera.
pacetruckdrvr
12/3/2011 5:26am
PaleBlue wrote:
How, exactly, does anybody make 'eye contact' with a machine? A camera is NOT a person. Trained actors (and politicians) can fool you into thinking they...
burnside wrote:
I can't remember the clip off the top of my head, but its actually quite rare a film maker will ask for the subject to 'look...
I can't remember the clip off the top of my head, but its actually quite rare a film maker will ask for the subject to 'look into the camera', usually they will be speaking to the director, who's usually to the side of the camera.
Well thats really what I meant, watch Windham or Reed they know how to give a good interview, they look at the camera or at whoever is holding the camera.
pacetruckdrvr
12/3/2011 5:30am
GuppyGahoo wrote:
That is a great reason to not like someone. Huh
I didnt say I dont like him, if you read my post it says I like him, I dont like his interviews, they appear as if he could care less to be there.

Post a reply to: Jake Weimer...

The Latest