JS7 to Honda! The deal that never happened...

nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
3/6/2017 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2017 1:24pm
So lets set this timeline up.

-James sits out first few rounds because there's no rides left.
-Hardly anyone wants to give James a shot on THEIR bike just hoping he has it together enough not to crash out.
-Ken Roczen blasts out to 2 opening wins, then has arguably one of the worst crashes we've seen since Ryan and Trey in 2012 at LA SX.
-Honda's Wonderboy is out.
-Honda already has the budget set aside for 2 bikes for the entire 2017 season
-Reports the following week have JS7 "confirmed" he's settled on riding Hondas
-At this point I think we were all hoping for Honda to call James and offer him a contract for the rest of Supercross at least.

This hasn't come to pass and its too bad. Honda needs a guy on that bike, they have sponsors who need bikes on the track getting exposure and "sales". Now Martin is getting his shot on the Factory Honda 450 for Daytona this weekend and I hope he does well for us MN fans. So that shuts the door on any chances for JS7 to end up on a Factory Honda.
I know we can think of a million reasons why Honda didn't approach James once Ken got hurt. But it could've been beneficial for Honda to give Stewart a little money, NOT A CONTRACT WAGE, but something to get him on the track and something to motivate him.

JS7 sells and doing it on a Factory Honda would sell more bikes and seats in the stadiums the rest of the year.
|
nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
3/6/2017 1:31pm
How about this.

What would it take for Honda to make the deal?
Starcrossed
3/6/2017 1:31pm
I don't think that door was ever open. Unless Motoconcepts would have given James a Honda, I doubt he would get an opportunity on one of their factory bikes.
Rockinar
3/6/2017 1:38pm

JS7 days are over. Even support teams didn't look at him. Clearly they know something we don't besides the obvious fact that he and Mookie look like they spent all off season sitting at the pool eating BBQ and drinking beer.

JS7 is done. He raced professionally for 11 years. Thats a good stretch, he had a good run. It's over.

The Shop

MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
3/6/2017 1:44pm
I'd much rather see J-Mart on it than JS7.
jj welks
3/6/2017 1:51pm
What's this thread about again
Johnny Ringo
3/6/2017 2:08pm
Rockinar wrote:
JS7 days are over. Even support teams didn't look at him. Clearly they know something we don't besides the obvious fact that he and Mookie look...

JS7 days are over. Even support teams didn't look at him. Clearly they know something we don't besides the obvious fact that he and Mookie look like they spent all off season sitting at the pool eating BBQ and drinking beer.

JS7 is done. He raced professionally for 11 years. Thats a good stretch, he had a good run. It's over.

11?
nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
3/6/2017 2:12pm
I bit of truth from the past. Then the Trolls roll in.

downard254
3/6/2017 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2017 2:15pm
Rockinar wrote:
JS7 days are over. Even support teams didn't look at him. Clearly they know something we don't besides the obvious fact that he and Mookie look...

11?
Well, 10 maybe, if you totaled up the time lost to injury and, um, other things.

Oh, and I always loved watching James ride. Just that since 2010, it's been kind of painful to watch.
Johnny Ringo
3/6/2017 2:16pm
Rockinar wrote:

11?
downard254 wrote:
Well, 10 maybe, if you totaled up the time lost to injury and, um, other things. Oh, and I always loved watching James ride. Just that...
Well, 10 maybe, if you totaled up the time lost to injury and, um, other things.

Oh, and I always loved watching James ride. Just that since 2010, it's been kind of painful to watch.
Turned pro in 2002, means he's been professionally racing for more than 11 years
nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
3/6/2017 2:16pm
Rockinar wrote:

11 years? Laughing
When was 2002?
Do you even know about this sport for the past 20 years?
Last time I checked it was 15 years. - 2008 SX and FIM year long ban.
Dimblewambie
3/6/2017 2:17pm
JS7 whips that Honda way better then Kenny...
levimx22
Fantasy
2108th
3/6/2017 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2017 2:23pm
js7 should come back on a 2 stroke
nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
3/6/2017 2:18pm
If my math is correct Reed has been racing for like 4 years right? Laughing
3/6/2017 2:28pm
Stew doesn't need to come back. He's proved enough. Arguably the most talented supercross rider ever. Now he's gonna enjoy life with his wife and kid
nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
3/6/2017 2:32pm
Yeah but his kid needs a bike soon. I'm sure James likes to burn his money like the rest of us.
JW381
3/6/2017 2:58pm
MX Guy wrote:
I'd much rather see J-Mart on it than JS7.
Not me. To each their own.
Lucifa.
3/6/2017 3:24pm
You can do anything with photoshop
agn5009
3/6/2017 3:27pm
How do you know honda didn't offer him a performance based contract (which is what he's worth at this time) and James declined?
Dimblewambie
3/6/2017 3:37pm
Lucifa. wrote:
Even ride with broken wrists.
spd721
3/6/2017 3:50pm
Forget coming back, I'd just like to see James be more open about what is going on with is racing career.
bvm111
3/6/2017 3:58pm
Dude!!!

Let it go
500 Mike
3/6/2017 4:05pm
Honda didn't want JS7 embarrassing himself and their brand. He had a good run and made a lot of $$$ but its over.
downard254
3/6/2017 4:08pm
Turned pro in 2002, means he's been professionally racing for more than 11 years
Yeaaa, guess I should have written "sarcasm alert". Oh well, too late now. WhistlingWink
Steve 396
3/6/2017 4:39pm
Lucifa. wrote:
Exactly....
Sully
3/6/2017 5:17pm
nrosso391 wrote:
So lets set this timeline up. -James sits out first few rounds because there's no rides left. -Hardly anyone wants to give James a shot on...

-Hardly anyone wants to give James a shot on THEIR bike just hoping he has it together enough not to crash out.
-Ken Roczen blasts out to 2 opening wins, then has arguably one of the worst crashes we've seen since Ryan and Trey in 2012 at LA SX.
-At this point I think we were all hoping for Honda to call James and offer him a contract for the rest of Supercross at least.

This hasn't come to pass and its too bad. Honda needs a guy on that bike, they have sponsors who need bikes on the track getting exposure and "sales". Now Martin is getting his shot on the Factory Honda 450 for Daytona this weekend and I hope he does well for us MN fans. So that shuts the door on any chances for JS7 to end up on a Factory Honda.
I know we can think of a million reasons why Honda didn't approach James once Ken got hurt. But it could've been beneficial for Honda to give Stewart a little money, NOT A CONTRACT WAGE, but something to get him on the track and something to motivate him.

JS7 sells and doing it on a Factory Honda would sell more bikes and seats in the stadiums the rest of the year.
I'm pretty sure it was RacerX where I read it, but Honda has no sponsor obligations to have a second bike on the track, hence the reason no one was brought in as a fill-in for Kenny.
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
3/6/2017 5:21pm
who thinks james will score his number in points this year?

not meDryDryDry
JW381
3/6/2017 5:29pm
nrosso391 wrote:
So lets set this timeline up. -James sits out first few rounds because there's no rides left. -Hardly anyone wants to give James a shot on...

Sully wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was RacerX where I read it, but Honda has no sponsor obligations to have a second bike on the track, hence the...
I'm pretty sure it was RacerX where I read it, but Honda has no sponsor obligations to have a second bike on the track, hence the reason no one was brought in as a fill-in for Kenny.
From a totally non-enlightened viewpoint, doesn't Honda have a lot to gain with the new bike? If the money is already allotted for, why not find a replacement? They're factory Honda, they could have got a lot of riders at a wide range of prices. Seems like it's in their best interest to have someone out there representing their new model. I'm not saying it should've been James, but the dude undoubtedly still has a lot of pull for the average fan/buyer.

I'm sure someone in here is right, I'd lean towards James' caution towards a performance based deal. Honda obviously it going to pay him Kenny's money.
Sully
3/6/2017 6:02pm
JW381 wrote:
From a totally non-enlightened viewpoint, doesn't Honda have a lot to gain with the new bike? If the money is already allotted for, why not find...
From a totally non-enlightened viewpoint, doesn't Honda have a lot to gain with the new bike? If the money is already allotted for, why not find a replacement? They're factory Honda, they could have got a lot of riders at a wide range of prices. Seems like it's in their best interest to have someone out there representing their new model. I'm not saying it should've been James, but the dude undoubtedly still has a lot of pull for the average fan/buyer.

I'm sure someone in here is right, I'd lean towards James' caution towards a performance based deal. Honda obviously it going to pay him Kenny's money.
All fair points, but I'm just going with what I read on the Internet - which we know is always right.
Sprock3t
3/6/2017 7:08pm
I have always been a big JS7 fan. However, it would be a far reach to think that he was ever in the running for factory Honda ride this year. He hasn't turned a competitive lap in almost 3 years. I couldnt even see motoconcepts giving him a shot at this point. I think it is only logical to think if he does race again, it will be on his own dime....

Post a reply to: JS7 to Honda! The deal that never happened...

The Latest