JS7 didn't invent the scrub

Related:
Create New Tag

3/19/2014 4:12 PM

Old school Florida pro, the late Monte Mccoy was doing the scrub back in 1975 that would rival any of the guys today. He was such a wild man on the bike, he would try to scrub and whip the old RM's on every bump and jump on the track. I recall a 125 pro class at the Orlando Sports Stadium, Monte had a good lead, and he tried a big scrub for no good reason, chewing the ground. Awesome talent, but lacked discipline.

|

3/19/2014 4:32 PM

SEE ARE125 wrote:

You're right. That looks exactly like this.

Photo
[LINK TO IMAGE]
Photo
Photo

EDIT:

PS: For under the bike advertisements.

Photo


PPS: For shits and giggles.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

I always hard time finding this angle on youtube. So fucking sick.

|

3/19/2014 4:35 PM

LOL some of you old guys are funny! Let go of the dream bros!!!!

|

3/19/2014 4:36 PM

str8shooter wrote:

What puzzled me always is why EVERYONE says the "scrub" is scrubbing off speed??? When it is NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The scrub is "scrubbing" off HIGHT......not speed!

The scrub is intended to be able to hit jump faces faster and still land on the backside of another jump.

I can remember times of Guy Cooper back 25years ago doing the scrub too. James didn't invent it, but IMO he definitely perfected it and brought it to a different level for sure.

BTW.....If any of you flamers wanna argue the speed vs hight debate start you tubing some videos of James passing guys in the air ......tell me he's "slowing down" off the jump faces when he flys past them while flying under them!pinch .

1/10. You have no idea what you're talking about.

|

3/19/2014 4:39 PM

In before finger on the clutch.

|

3/19/2014 5:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/19/2014 5:39 PM

machine wrote:

Stewart created the modern day scrub, just like McGrath created the nac-nac. In most instancesthe scrub isn't any faster, just look at really fast guys like RV, Pourcel, RD and Bagett, they don't use it very often and are still fast. To them it's probably an energy waster most of the time. It looks cool no doubt, but is only really beneficial on few occasions. McGrath got 72 wins without it, lets see if Stewart does that with it....

Yep, this scrub wasn't any faster at all!w00t

|

3/19/2014 5:38 PM

str8shooter wrote:

What puzzled me always is why EVERYONE says the "scrub" is scrubbing off speed??? When it is NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The scrub is "scrubbing" off HIGHT......not speed!

The scrub is intended to be able to hit jump faces faster and still land on the backside of another jump.

I can remember times of Guy Cooper back 25years ago doing the scrub too. James didn't invent it, but IMO he definitely perfected it and brought it to a different level for sure.

BTW.....If any of you flamers wanna argue the speed vs hight debate start you tubing some videos of James passing guys in the air ......tell me he's "slowing down" off the jump faces when he flys past them while flying under them!pinch .

OnRails wrote:

1/10. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah you're right....absolutely no idea.wassat

|

3/19/2014 5:45 PM

machine wrote:

Stewart created the modern day scrub, just like McGrath created the nac-nac. In most instancesthe scrub isn't any faster, just look at really fast guys like RV, Pourcel, RD and Bagett, they don't use it very often and are still fast. To them it's probably an energy waster most of the time. It looks cool no doubt, but is only really beneficial on few occasions. McGrath got 72 wins without it, lets see if Stewart does that with it....

rcm406 wrote:

Yep, this scrub wasn't any faster at all!w00t

You Stewart fans never stop do you...laughing

I think you need to watch that again, you just proved my point. Watch the distance between them on take off and the distance they were apart when they went past the camera. I think you mesmerized by your Messiah again...lol

|

.

3/19/2014 6:05 PM

str8shooter wrote:

What puzzled me always is why EVERYONE says the "scrub" is scrubbing off speed??? When it is NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The scrub is "scrubbing" off HIGHT......not speed!

The scrub is intended to be able to hit jump faces faster and still land on the backside of another jump.

I can remember times of Guy Cooper back 25years ago doing the scrub too. James didn't invent it, but IMO he definitely perfected it and brought it to a different level for sure.

BTW.....If any of you flamers wanna argue the speed vs hight debate start you tubing some videos of James passing guys in the air ......tell me he's "slowing down" off the jump faces when he flys past them while flying under them!pinch .

OnRails wrote:

1/10. You have no idea what you're talking about.

No, he's totally right... even if he can't spell "Height"


Hey I'm a poet and didn't even know it!

|

3/19/2014 6:11 PM

str8shooter wrote:

What puzzled me always is why EVERYONE says the "scrub" is scrubbing off speed??? When it is NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The scrub is "scrubbing" off HIGHT......not speed!

The scrub is intended to be able to hit jump faces faster and still land on the backside of another jump.

I can remember times of Guy Cooper back 25years ago doing the scrub too. James didn't invent it, but IMO he definitely perfected it and brought it to a different level for sure.

BTW.....If any of you flamers wanna argue the speed vs hight debate start you tubing some videos of James passing guys in the air ......tell me he's "slowing down" off the jump faces when he flys past them while flying under them!pinch .

Well I'll argue that its meant to lessen the time in the air, because your not accelerating,

|

Mr Lee Van Cleef wouldnt mind

3/19/2014 6:46 PM

str8shooter wrote:

What puzzled me always is why EVERYONE says the "scrub" is scrubbing off speed??? When it is NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The scrub is "scrubbing" off HIGHT......not speed!

The scrub is intended to be able to hit jump faces faster and still land on the backside of another jump.

I can remember times of Guy Cooper back 25years ago doing the scrub too. James didn't invent it, but IMO he definitely perfected it and brought it to a different level for sure.

BTW.....If any of you flamers wanna argue the speed vs hight debate start you tubing some videos of James passing guys in the air ......tell me he's "slowing down" off the jump faces when he flys past them while flying under them!pinch .

wow123 wrote:

Well I'll argue that its meant to lessen the time in the air, because your not accelerating,

You're only correct on the "lessen the time in the air" part.
Look at the post a few up of the vid where James is passing Reed.............Are you saying he hit that jump face "slower" than Reed?.......REALLY????..... He leaves the jump face almost a full bike length behind Reed yet is able to pretty much land at the same time as Reed.
Why don't you tell us all here how that happened then.wassat

|

3/19/2014 7:02 PM

if rv is doing a "turn down whip", then js7 is too

|

3/19/2014 7:59 PM

I have always wanted to know what was it when Magoo went down over the finish line, Both my son and I both yelled Fuck he either did a turn down or attempted a scrub that went wrong with No real pressure. I am sure one of you will be able to tell me.

|

3/19/2014 8:09 PM

machine wrote:

That was a scrub, notice how he turns the bike on the face of the jump when it goes to slow motion, that's not what RV did in the previous video. RV did a turn down whip..

cd0583 wrote:

so RV didn't turn on the face of that finish line? I'm done

machine wrote:

Nope..and it was the LAST jump at the FINISH LINE...would you say he would be trying to scrub or whip for the cameras on the finish line jump of a race he just won..lol?

Machine, you gotta admit defeat here. And even if I didn't remember that race last year, you can tell by the video that it might have been the last jump at the finish line, but it certainly wasn't the last jump at the finish line on the last lap. I understand what you were getting at earlier, you think Stewart scrubs more than RV, Barcia, etc. and that's fine. I don't have the stats on amount of scrubs. You could certainly be correct. But you can't watch those two videos and say RV isn't scrubbing too.

|

3/19/2014 8:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/19/2014 8:23 PM

str8shooter wrote:

What puzzled me always is why EVERYONE says the "scrub" is scrubbing off speed??? When it is NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The scrub is "scrubbing" off HIGHT......not speed!

The scrub is intended to be able to hit jump faces faster and still land on the backside of another jump.

I can remember times of Guy Cooper back 25years ago doing the scrub too. James didn't invent it, but IMO he definitely perfected it and brought it to a different level for sure.

BTW.....If any of you flamers wanna argue the speed vs hight debate start you tubing some videos of James passing guys in the air ......tell me he's "slowing down" off the jump faces when he flys past them while flying under them!pinch .

wow123 wrote:

Well I'll argue that its meant to lessen the time in the air, because your not accelerating,

str8shooter wrote:

You're only correct on the "lessen the time in the air" part.
Look at the post a few up of the vid where James is passing Reed.............Are you saying he hit that jump face "slower" than Reed?.......REALLY????..... He leaves the jump face almost a full bike length behind Reed yet is able to pretty much land at the same time as Reed.
Why don't you tell us all here how that happened then.wassat

@straightshooter-are you frickn retarted? You answer your own question. Stewart passes Reed because Reed goes higher (spending more time in the air) while James jumps lower (spending less time in the air) thus making up that one bike length that you're referring to. Imagine a pop fly vs a line drive in baseball. A straight line vs a rainbow. C'mon dude.

The scrub doesn't has to scrub speed. Wow123 is correct. The less time you spend in the air, the quicker you can be back on land with your rear tire to the ground accelerating.

|

3/19/2014 9:37 PM

Wow, just wow....


Photo

|

3/19/2014 9:52 PM

Dale_Keene wrote:

Old school Florida pro, the late Monte Mccoy was doing the scrub back in 1975 that would rival any of the guys today. He was such a wild man on the bike, he would try to scrub and whip the old RM's on every bump and jump on the track. I recall a 125 pro class at the Orlando Sports Stadium, Monte had a good lead, and he tried a big scrub for no good reason, chewing the ground. Awesome talent, but lacked discipline.

You Cats kill me with that nonsense, I'd never seen anything like that until James started doing it, and I've been around this sport since 1970, where's Monte's scrub pics?...

|

Some of these posts are like reading closed caption on the cartoon channel...



Hello?..Vital?...

3/19/2014 9:56 PM

Woobia 22 wrote:

I have always wanted to know what was it when Magoo went down over the finish line, Both my son and I both yelled Fuck he either did a turn down or attempted a scrub that went wrong with No real pressure. I am sure one of you will be able to tell me.

I think a camera flash got Magoo and he missed his handlebar...

|

Some of these posts are like reading closed caption on the cartoon channel...



Hello?..Vital?...

3/19/2014 10:06 PM

I just want to jump in here real quick ( no advice what so ever on this scrubbing bullshit! )........BUT , with that being said , I had to chuckle a little , as this reminded me of the famous TFS " Seat bounce thread ". God what a great thread that was. Not saying this is a great thread.....just funny listening to some of the explanations and so forth in here.

Carry on moto heads!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

3/19/2014 10:23 PM

Talon Vohland 1997...


[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

3/19/2014 11:24 PM

machine wrote:

You Stewart fans never stop do you...laughing

I think you need to watch that again, you just proved my point. Watch the distance between them on take off and the distance they were apart when they went past the camera. I think you mesmerized by your Messiah again...lol

Even though you're an incorrect person most of the time, this is pretty well true. I figured he gained a little on RV with the move (maybe he did, slightly), allowing him to get up alongside and dive inside, but watching it again, not really...because Ryan scrubbed too. He did the same move JS did but to the left, and weaker. So not a big advantage there.

Passing for the lead in San Diego, the advantage was maybe a little more obvious...but James hit it faster so it's hard to tell.

As for the bickering over the true nature of the scrub -- speed? height? arc? -- I'll allude once again to this beauty, which I do whenever I find myself in times of trouble...

Photo

|




3/19/2014 11:38 PM

shredder22 wrote:

@straightshooter-are you frickn retarted? You answer your own question. Stewart passes Reed because Reed goes higher (spending more time in the air) while James jumps lower (spending less time in the air) thus making up that one bike length that you're referring to. Imagine a pop fly vs a line drive in baseball. A straight line vs a rainbow. C'mon dude.

The scrub doesn't has to scrub speed. Wow123 is correct. The less time you spend in the air, the quicker you can be back on land with your rear tire to the ground accelerating.

James is also going faster off of the jump.

In order to jump with a lower arc, and still cover the same distance, you have to be moving faster.

You don't get to change physics, and James Stewart can't change gravity.

|

3/19/2014 11:46 PM

Machine is so anti-Stewart that he does not allow even a thought that his idol RV is doing exact same thing as Stewart. That would be preposterous or in his mind even sinful.whistling wassat laughing



Photo

|

3/20/2014 12:30 AM

Photo
|

#1
KX125

3/20/2014 3:42 AM

Nobody invented the scrub.

|

3/20/2014 4:08 AM

Some pics just never get old..
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]
Photo

|

3/20/2014 5:31 AM

shredder22,
ARE YOU freekin retarded? wassat ...read the damb post! .was debating the height (or air time) vs speed with someone else!

Most say scrubs are to scrub off speed.... which in NOT correct! Hey look....Many here like to be spot on technical about things ....so fuck it, its my turn.!tongue

|

3/20/2014 5:47 AM

Shit happens!laughing

|

My job @ www.spah24.com

3/20/2014 6:12 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

I just want to jump in here real quick ( no advice what so ever on this scrubbing bullshit! )........BUT , with that being said , I had to chuckle a little , as this reminded me of the famous TFS " Seat bounce thread ". God what a great thread that was. Not saying this is a great thread.....just funny listening to some of the explanations and so forth in here.

Carry on moto heads!

That's what I was thinkin dude..lol

Maybe it needs it's own thread debating a turn down whip vs a scrub. I was thinkin i don't have the time to keep explaining this to these video game jockeys on here.grin

|

.

3/20/2014 6:28 AM

You guys should stop trying to tear James down so much and be thankful that you got the chance to see him ride. He is a legend in this sport, like it or not. 2:55 of the vid below, David Bailey's reaction is all you need to hear to understand just how different what James was doing was from anything before. It took YEARS before guys were able to "scrub" nearly as well as James does and EVERYONE in the sport tries at some point.





P
|

The Josie Wales of Vitalmx