JS 7's influence, where are the young black guys in mx/sx?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/13/2019 9:07 AM

Warning, i may not have worded my thread title or this post properly.

BUT..

its a pertinant topic.

We all know how insanely good he was.

BUT

Where is the next gen js17?

Somethings wrong when we have had NO one come thru the ranks to even make it to a main...correct?

Gentlemen, please be gentlemen and post with that in mind.
A touchy topic it is..

(exclude mookie thanks)

|

10/13/2019 9:14 AM

There have been guys around, just like there are any of the other local pro's that don't quite get noticed. I think we all forget what an amazing talent that man was and how he, just like Jeremy changed our sport. I know you said to exclude mookie but his personality is way different than James' was and that might be what makes the next JS kid look at and say hey that's what I want to be like.

|

10/13/2019 9:15 AM

I don't know how many black kids got into moto because of James but I do know one white kid that got out of moto.

|

10/13/2019 9:24 AM

Jalek Swoll

|

10/13/2019 9:42 AM

Sean Hackley and Alex Frye

|

10/13/2019 9:45 AM

C.Worthy wrote:

Sean Hackley and Alex Frye

David Pulley as well

|

10/13/2019 10:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2019 10:05 AM

This is the guy who paved the way. Andy would come and do some racing in South Africa in the early 1980's

|

10/13/2019 10:10 AM

I think calling the post racist is more ignorant than anything. Dude was just asking a question and it is something that I’m sure other people have wondered.

|

10/13/2019 10:14 AM

I see a couple local guys who are pretty fast. This kid has handed me my ass a bunch of times at Tomahawk and Budds Creek.

https://instagram.com/mlacore33?igshid=iiyf5v88n67

|

10/13/2019 10:31 AM

Well by my count yesterday, there was about 6 of us at milestone... But remember we all look the same with our gear on.

|

"Life is Too Short To Last Long"

10/13/2019 10:41 AM

I think most of us are into moto because it has been passed down to us by our fathers. I don't think most black men were into moto back in the day. I think its that simple.

|

10/13/2019 10:49 AM

Come on A1... when will you ever arrive?!

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2006 KX250

10/13/2019 10:51 AM

I think it's a viable question and hopefully it'll be a "non-question" soon.

As others have pointed out, Andy Jefferson was one of if not "the" front-man. There's was a Flyin' Hawaiian by the name of John DeSoto that I remember some folks thinking he was "black". He was one of the original "jumpers". The dude would jump anything that he could...even where others didn't see it...he'd double over stuff that the other guys couldn't imagine. Bye the way, DeSoto was a bad ass athlete too. Went to Europe and paved the way for guys like Lackey. Raced brands that young folks probably haven't read of...

So, yes, back in the day a dark-skinned rider was a somewhat rare sight.

Nowadays? It's a regular thing out here in California. Is that due, in-part, to James and the Stewart family?
I think so.
They deserve a lot of credit for their accomplishments.
In-fact, it's getting to the point where there's such a mix of different kinds of folks at the track that I don't even notice anymore.
That seems like a good thing, to me.

They, the Stewarts, and those that came before them...paved the way. That seems pretty obvious to me. While we're here...I think James is responsible for taking our "riding" to the next level: from his hi-speed/low-altitude scrubs to his running away from EVERYONE on his 125 & again on his KX450...he took the speed and style to the next level.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

10/13/2019 11:08 AM

They are playing other sports....Moto does't have the mass public appeal that people on Vital think it does.

|

10/13/2019 11:09 AM

There's a couple half black kids at my local race track. Nice kids with their grampa. My son and I spent some time on the bleachers talking with them. No daddy around, and I apologize in advance to the snowflakes who can't handle the truth.

|

10/13/2019 11:17 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

I think it's a viable question and hopefully it'll be a "non-question" soon.

As others have pointed out, Andy Jefferson was one of if not "the" front-man. There's was a Flyin' Hawaiian by the name of John DeSoto that I remember some folks thinking he was "black". He was one of the original "jumpers". The dude would jump anything that he could...even where others didn't see it...he'd double over stuff that the other guys couldn't imagine. Bye the way, DeSoto was a bad ass athlete too. Went to Europe and paved the way for guys like Lackey. Raced brands that young folks probably haven't read of...

So, yes, back in the day a dark-skinned rider was a somewhat rare sight.

Nowadays? It's a regular thing out here in California. Is that due, in-part, to James and the Stewart family?
I think so.
They deserve a lot of credit for their accomplishments.
In-fact, it's getting to the point where there's such a mix of different kinds of folks at the track that I don't even notice anymore.
That seems like a good thing, to me.

They, the Stewarts, and those that came before them...paved the way. That seems pretty obvious to me. While we're here...I think James is responsible for taking our "riding" to the next level: from his hi-speed/low-altitude scrubs to his running away from EVERYONE on his 125 & again on his KX450...he took the speed and style to the next level.

David McLain from Houston earned national numbers a few years around the same time as Andy.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

10/13/2019 11:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2019 12:04 PM

I loved motocross growing up and even raced Davey Coombs back in the late 70’s at the High Point Mini Bike Nats. Afterwards, my dad said, do you want a car or two 125’s? You can’t have both. I caved to peer pressure as my neighborhood friends never understood the attraction.

My kid was better than I ever was, but he couldn’t be pushed or he would fold. It was very frustrating for someone with my competitive nature. Motocross is hard whether you are black, white, purple or from Mars. Not sure I’ll buy the grandchild a PW when that time comes. In fact, I think MX will be extinct in 15 years, Millennials are just too damn lazy. On a side note, I could have paid for an undergraduate degree from Rice University for him for what I spent in Motorhomes and over 30 bikes in our ten year stretch.

|

10/13/2019 11:32 AM

mark293 wrote:

I loved motocross growing up and even raced Davey Coombs back in the late 70’s at the High Point Mini Bike Nats. Afterwards, my dad said, do you want a car or two 125’s? You can’t have both. I caved to peer pressure as my neighborhood friends never understood the attraction.

My kid was better than I ever was, but he couldn’t be pushed or he would fold. It was very frustrating for someone with my competitive nature. Motocross is hard whether you are black, white, purple or from Mars. Not sure I’ll buy the grandchild a PW when that time comes. In fact, I think MX will be extinct in 15 years, Millennials are just too damn lazy. On a side note, I could have paid for an undergraduate degree from Rice University for him for what I spent in Motorhomes and over 30 bikes in our ten year stretch.

Dude, you are the Moto-Trophy Shark!

|

10/13/2019 11:54 AM

The sport is down overall as far as new people entering
As in people that didnt have a dad that used go race and got them into it.
So not 2nd generation riders,l but new 1st generation
Riders.
#1 reason is money.
Even if you think it looks fun and like something you would want to try are you willing to go buy a bike and gear, and Truck or trailer to try it.
In the 70's 80's and into the 90's
You tried someone else's bike in the field down the street from wherever you lived.
2. Lack of being able to ride close to where you live.
Ties into the end of #1. Not only could you find a vacant field owned by who knows who and make a turn track.
But if you weren't into it, you would see others doing that
Sometimes and just seeing others do stuff sometimes sparks an interest.
Now days you never see that (at least where I live)unless you go to a Motocross track.
So as Far as the James Stewart Question
I do think that if the numbers were higher over all
There would have been more kids that got into it because they saw him doing it.
And there probably were kids that saw him on TV and thought about it, but because they didnt see others doing it , and even know where the tracks are , they probably just let the though come and go in my opinion.

|

10/13/2019 12:07 PM

mark293 wrote:

I remember you guys in the early 2000’s. What an era in Houston for great tracks, and great racing. Lots of local young talent coming up in those days.

|

10/13/2019 12:17 PM

I pushed my YZ 80D almost half a mile to ride it in a field at the end of our street. When I was done riding, I had to push it back home. My dad said if the police caught me riding on a public street, the Yamaha would be sold. You think today’s 10 year old is gonna push a bike a mile in full gear? Me thinks not, and I’m not exaggerating the distance.

|

10/13/2019 12:27 PM

Can't a white guy identify as a black guy nowadays?

Or a woman

Or a tree

Or a tomato?I

Or a lesbian tree tomato ?

|

10/13/2019 12:32 PM

hillbilly wrote:

Can't a white guy identify as a black guy nowadays?

Or a woman

Or a tree

Or a tomato?I

Or a lesbian tree tomato ?

Sure. But, this is Moto...
We keep it real.

|

10/13/2019 12:35 PM

Just as I thought. Lots of well thought out responses that are reasonable and make sense, then a few ignorant responses by people who are like “racism ain’t real”.

|

10/13/2019 1:05 PM

observeroffacts wrote:

Just as I thought. Lots of well thought out responses that are reasonable and make sense, then a few ignorant responses by people who are like “racism ain’t real”.

Man,

There has been racism forever and always will

Just like starving dogs,poaching elephants ,burning rainforest since I was a kid 50yrs ago

I don't give a shit anymore about nothing but living my life

But carry on,I'm sure it will change soon,lol

|

10/13/2019 1:06 PM

mark293 wrote:

Mark,

So how did you get into mx? Was it through an family influence (family) or outside influence (school buddies, js7, mx mags). Personally, my parents hated motorcycles, but my brother bought one and I got hooked on the mx mags he bought. I am always interested in how anyone gets involved.

Unfortunately, I agree about mx disappearing in the future. Culture has changed too much, Too few ‘informal riding areas’ (sand pits, gravel pits, grazing land) and too much enforcement. Don’t think I could even get my son on a bike, due to a fear of injury and helicopter mom. It’s is too bad as it is a great sport with great people.

|

10/13/2019 1:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2019 1:22 PM

Saw Mr. Andy Jefferson out at Cahuilla a few weekends ago. He's the head PR man at Husqvarna. Great guy!

I always get pumped when I see POC (in the USA) in motorsports. Same with seeing the numbers of women riders continue to grow. Fuck yeah!

How about this badass

To answer OP (drawing upon my extensive consumer marketing background): Questions like that are pretty hard to answer without doing an actual consumer survey and asking POC a question like 'what inspired you to get into bikes' or 'what factors influenced your decision'. But my gut tells me James did have a big effect on many young POC who otherwise didn't have a (massively successful) relatable figure in mx/motorsports.

At the end of the day we're all just people doing what we love. Keep on ripping.
|

10/13/2019 1:30 PM

Hugo Basaula from Portugal. He is a Monster athlete and win the B final at MXON.

|

10/13/2019 1:52 PM

Love this thread

|

10/13/2019 2:24 PM

I think it's pretty damn awesome see all colors of people , men and women alike in our sport! I truly wish every breed of person out there to experience this sport. You can meet awesome people and it can be super family oriented. I have met and rode with quite a few black dudes that ride over the years , and it's always been a cool experience for myself , because I love seeing it. I don't see many Latino's or Asian's out there , but hope one day we will. Anything to help this sport grow , is all good with me.

Btw....Andy Jefferson was a badass!! One of my hero's as a kid!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja