JGR going bye-bye?

10/24/2019 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2019 3:00pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Rotaholic wrote:
Thats so grim, but man I feel like I want them to succeed even more now. They just want to go racing, such a cut throat...
Thats so grim, but man I feel like I want them to succeed even more now. They just want to go racing, such a cut throat industry. Gonna buy a JGR suzuki shirt off them, just to let them know we are fans and we are behind them 100% 👊
Its actually not a bad ad for them. Shows they are still committed to succeeding and well organised.
The gas-gas idea is a bit left field, but actually makes some sense. The problem is that i doubt gas gas are ready to go right now. And the development work needed for next season....
mxbonz
10/24/2019 4:52pm
****Disclaimer: Much if not all of this is my opinion from 50 years of MX participation/observation.
It's never any one big thing but the financial bringdown was a component part of the top down attack on disposable income.
The sport began bleeding participants when the similarity of equipment was fractured.
R&D went into the four stroke, equipment, their advantage became crystal clear in race results which created a condition of "haves vs. Have nots".
Yes, "poverty sucks...can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.....go big or go home...too many went home.
I have friends to this day decent riders with their 2003 equipment gathering dust and when I try to get them to ride they don't even want to show up to be "smoked by everyone on $10,0000 EFI wonder bikes scrubbing past them like they're standing still".
Racing will always be about some guys having more than others but at least being on similar equipment while maybe not as trick or well maintained allowed guys to feel on par somewhat with more heavily funded rivals.
Race teams are tax writeoffs/loss leaders for the most part.
Most race team "sponsors" have heavily profitable businesses and if they didn't burn the extra $$$$ on advertising/promotion, it would get eaten up in taxes anyway.
Travis Pastrana got out of NASCAR because he didn't have one thousand thousand dollar bills in his own pocket to book a financial loss of that magnitude.
I hear now "electric bikes will save the sport".
Regardless of the opinions behind that assertion, it is just another fracture.
This isn't meant to be negative just some of my personal observations.
Go ride. Feel the joy regardless of what you choose or are able to do it on.
"Inferior equipment" is a state of mind.
b_kowalsk
10/24/2019 5:25pm
Sounds like Reed could have gotten a bike from them to do monster cup if he wanted but Chad decided to go and do his own thing?
Press516
Fantasy
126th
10/24/2019 5:38pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Rotaholic wrote:
Thats so grim, but man I feel like I want them to succeed even more now. They just want to go racing, such a cut throat...
Thats so grim, but man I feel like I want them to succeed even more now. They just want to go racing, such a cut throat industry. Gonna buy a JGR suzuki shirt off them, just to let them know we are fans and we are behind them 100% 👊
dirtwalker wrote:
Its actually not a bad ad for them. Shows they are still committed to succeeding and well organised. The gas-gas idea is a bit left field...
Its actually not a bad ad for them. Shows they are still committed to succeeding and well organised.
The gas-gas idea is a bit left field, but actually makes some sense. The problem is that i doubt gas gas are ready to go right now. And the development work needed for next season....
No doubt that GasGas is a few years out, short of just putting a different color plastic on a KTM... Which they could do.

But I could see a JGR GasGas easing the pain of starting up a full factory team.

The Shop

10/24/2019 7:06pm
I hope they pull it off because if they do 2020 will be the year of the under dogs....JGR + Savatgy! I believe Savatgy is going...
I hope they pull it off because if they do 2020 will be the year of the under dogs....JGR + Savatgy!

I believe Savatgy is going to stomp some ass on that piss-poor-shootout-losing yellow #17.
because of course, he'll be riding a shootout losing stock bike.
not sure why you are running that line?

everybody knows any bike can be made a qhole lot better if you want to spend.
10/24/2019 7:29pm
I hope they pull it off because if they do 2020 will be the year of the under dogs....JGR + Savatgy! I believe Savatgy is going...
I hope they pull it off because if they do 2020 will be the year of the under dogs....JGR + Savatgy!

I believe Savatgy is going to stomp some ass on that piss-poor-shootout-losing yellow #17.
because of course, he'll be riding a shootout losing stock bike. . not sure why you are running that line? everybody knows any bike can be...
because of course, he'll be riding a shootout losing stock bike.
not sure why you are running that line?

everybody knows any bike can be made a qhole lot better if you want to spend.
You missed my sarcasm....yes shootouts are a joke and mean nothing.
mxbonz
10/24/2019 7:33pm
Huevos wrote:
Visited the Pro Circuit HQ and heard some chatter about Suzuki cutting funding to JGR and as a result the team may be closing doors. Can...
Visited the Pro Circuit HQ and heard some chatter about Suzuki cutting funding to JGR and as a result the team may be closing doors.

Can anybody confirm or deny these rumors? Sad if true.
They're great.
Top shelf in house capability, and the equipment sponsors are there.
They'll take Alex Martin out this year.
Joe Gibb's honors.
A season of living within the means if it comes to that, will maximize any new title sponsor's investment.
It takes more energy to unwind something like that than to pear down.
They're still in it.
XC706
Fantasy
799th
10/24/2019 7:41pm
I could see JGR going racing with GAS GAS bikes in 2021. GAS GAS will have a full line of MX bikes based on KTM's and they will have WP suspension based on Stefan Peirer owning WP.
10/24/2019 8:13pm

Did Savatgy already sign with them, or is that just the assumption at this point since he is probably the best rider available?
10/24/2019 8:18pm

Did Savatgy already sign with them, or is that just the assumption at this point since he is probably the best rider available?
It's just a rumor at the moment but I hope it comes to fruition.
hamncheeze
10/24/2019 8:57pm
Alex Martin just did the Swapmotolive podcast with Michael Antonovich today, he says it's all systems go for him in 2020 but doesn't know what other riders will be out there. Interesting that we have Weege doing a visit to JGR, and then Anton doing a pod with AMart in the past 24 hours, I'm guessing someone at JGR must have decided it was time to crush the rumour mill. Hard to gain a sponsor when the internet is saying you are shutting down. Again, I really hope they get the title sponsor and they can take more than 2 guys racing in 2020. I'll always have a soft spot for Suzuki as I rode them more than any other brand in my racing days.
Texas Built
10/24/2019 10:04pm
Need to get back to alcohol and cigarette sponsors. Throw in some vape and CBD money too.
10/25/2019 2:54am
mxbonz wrote:
****Disclaimer: Much if not all of this is my opinion from 50 years of MX participation/observation. It's never any one big thing but the financial bringdown...
****Disclaimer: Much if not all of this is my opinion from 50 years of MX participation/observation.
It's never any one big thing but the financial bringdown was a component part of the top down attack on disposable income.
The sport began bleeding participants when the similarity of equipment was fractured.
R&D went into the four stroke, equipment, their advantage became crystal clear in race results which created a condition of "haves vs. Have nots".
Yes, "poverty sucks...can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.....go big or go home...too many went home.
I have friends to this day decent riders with their 2003 equipment gathering dust and when I try to get them to ride they don't even want to show up to be "smoked by everyone on $10,0000 EFI wonder bikes scrubbing past them like they're standing still".
Racing will always be about some guys having more than others but at least being on similar equipment while maybe not as trick or well maintained allowed guys to feel on par somewhat with more heavily funded rivals.
Most race team "sponsors" have heavily profitable businesses and if they didn't burn the extra $$$$ on advertising/promotion, it would get eaten up in taxes anyway.
Travis Pastrana got out of NASCAR because he didn't have one thousand thousand dollar bills in his own pocket to book a financial loss of that magnitude.
Baz? Baz Luhrmann is that you??
resetjet
10/25/2019 5:10am
That is one hell of a shop and operation. They have big boy pants and little boy wallet. I cant see how that is gonna work if coy is done spending his own $$$. Time to downsize big time and save the ship
Conkey
10/25/2019 8:53am
Joey's deal has been done for a few weeks. JGR is holding off until last minute so they can hopefully announce new rider and sponsor at same time. Looks like it will probably be a rider announcement though from what I've been told.
kkawboy14
10/25/2019 9:05am
hamncheeze wrote:
Alex Martin just did the Swapmotolive podcast with Michael Antonovich today, he says it's all systems go for him in 2020 but doesn't know what other...
Alex Martin just did the Swapmotolive podcast with Michael Antonovich today, he says it's all systems go for him in 2020 but doesn't know what other riders will be out there. Interesting that we have Weege doing a visit to JGR, and then Anton doing a pod with AMart in the past 24 hours, I'm guessing someone at JGR must have decided it was time to crush the rumour mill. Hard to gain a sponsor when the internet is saying you are shutting down. Again, I really hope they get the title sponsor and they can take more than 2 guys racing in 2020. I'll always have a soft spot for Suzuki as I rode them more than any other brand in my racing days.
It’s the only story in moto right now!
Anton_514
10/25/2019 9:06am
hamncheeze wrote:
Alex Martin just did the Swapmotolive podcast with Michael Antonovich today, he says it's all systems go for him in 2020 but doesn't know what other...
It was coincidence. I’ve needed to get some stuff with Alex for another feature on the site and figured I’d get two birds stoned at once with the podcast. Had no idea Weege did his thing until minutes before Alex was on the phone haha.

Glad to hear there is something in place for two riders and the staff. Alex was very open in his answers and explained the situation well, as did JBone in the video.

Worth pointing out Alex had no idea so many people want to see JBone removed from his post as team manager. He doesn’t see Jeremy doing anything wrong in terms of management or decision making, just doing what he can with the current situation.
kwhite199
10/25/2019 9:06am
I just can't comprehend how with all the sponsor relationships they have on the Nascar side, they aren't able to find something for the SX/MX side. The setup is there, the professionalism is there, there should be some way to get someone involved. What am I missing?
fatpurplepanda
Fantasy
2816th
10/25/2019 9:14am
hamncheeze wrote:
Anton_514 wrote:
It was coincidence. I’ve needed to get some stuff with Alex for another feature on the site and figured I’d get two birds stoned at once...
It was coincidence. I’ve needed to get some stuff with Alex for another feature on the site and figured I’d get two birds stoned at once with the podcast. Had no idea Weege did his thing until minutes before Alex was on the phone haha.

Glad to hear there is something in place for two riders and the staff. Alex was very open in his answers and explained the situation well, as did JBone in the video.

Worth pointing out Alex had no idea so many people want to see JBone removed from his post as team manager. He doesn’t see Jeremy doing anything wrong in terms of management or decision making, just doing what he can with the current situation.
someone watches trailer park boys
Conkey
10/25/2019 9:25am
kwhite199 wrote:
I just can't comprehend how with all the sponsor relationships they have on the Nascar side, they aren't able to find something for the SX/MX side...
I just can't comprehend how with all the sponsor relationships they have on the Nascar side, they aren't able to find something for the SX/MX side. The setup is there, the professionalism is there, there should be some way to get someone involved. What am I missing?
I think it has a lot to do with what J-Bone mentioned in the video, that the sport is not that big. The play is doing as much B2B as possible, unfortunately it's not working as much as they'd like.
gsxr6
10/25/2019 9:38am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Rotaholic wrote:
dirtwalker wrote:
Its actually not a bad ad for them. Shows they are still committed to succeeding and well organised. The gas-gas idea is a bit left field...
Some red plastics and graphics for a ktm is all they'll need
10/25/2019 9:44am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2019 9:44am
kwhite199 wrote:
I just can't comprehend how with all the sponsor relationships they have on the Nascar side, they aren't able to find something for the SX/MX side...
Conkey wrote:
I think it has a lot to do with what J-Bone mentioned in the video, that the sport is not that big. The play is doing...
I think it has a lot to do with what J-Bone mentioned in the video, that the sport is not that big. The play is doing as much B2B as possible, unfortunately it's not working as much as they'd like.
Not knowing the numbers it seems like the ROI would be there. Maybe SX gets a couple million eyeballs all year where Nascar gets 10x those figures? JGR could probably run a decent ship ona couple million while again Nascar would need 10x that?

Most recent article with figures that I could find, but 800k viewers for one race aint bad

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattrybaltowski/2018/05/13/supercross-caps…

Nascar total ~31mm, biggest race almost 5mm
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davecaldwell/2019/04/17/the-drop-in-nascar…
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
10/25/2019 10:38am
mxbonz wrote:
****Disclaimer: Much if not all of this is my opinion from 50 years of MX participation/observation. It's never any one big thing but the financial bringdown...
No business unnecessarily blows money just to get a tax "write off". Would you refuse a pay raise just to avoid paying the taxes on the additional income? Of course not. It's no different when it comes to business expenses. There's never a reason to throw money out the window just to save a portion of that total amount on taxes.
mb60
10/25/2019 2:18pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Rotaholic wrote:
I hope the team is more productive then the mechanic in the background moving seat bases from one bench to another.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
10/25/2019 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2019 7:49pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Rotaholic wrote:
mb60 wrote:
I hope the team is more productive then the mechanic in the background moving seat bases from one bench to another.
yeah, and he probably doesn't even know the difference between "then" and "than"
Beeby
10/25/2019 7:59pm
Does anyone know what sort of financial commitment they would need? Let’s say someone on here had won the lottery or is just worth a load of money and thought they’d give them the money for the season, what sort of money we talking?
gsxr6
10/25/2019 8:02pm
Beeby wrote:
Does anyone know what sort of financial commitment they would need? Let’s say someone on here had won the lottery or is just worth a load...
Does anyone know what sort of financial commitment they would need? Let’s say someone on here had won the lottery or is just worth a load of money and thought they’d give them the money for the season, what sort of money we talking?
2 million. Plus three fifty
hamncheeze
10/25/2019 10:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2019 10:53pm
Anton_514 wrote:
It was coincidence. I’ve needed to get some stuff with Alex for another feature on the site and figured I’d get two birds stoned at once...

I have never understood the sack "J-Bone" mentality either. Any time you see JGR at the races it seems to be a pretty good vibe under the tents, certainly not the look of a team with a lot of infighting. So surely J-Bone gets a big part of that credit. Apart from James, they've never really chased after a championship 450 guy. One could argue Barcia, but there was not enough evidence at the end of the 2014 to say he was the next big thing especially when he was already being eclipsed by Roczen and Tomac in their rookie seasons. And Barcia has even admitted that he was not the easiest rider to work with back in his early JGR days.

For any doubters, look what JGR did with Peick. He was a good rider at the end of 2014 but he definitely kept making steps forward in 2015-2018 with JGR.

Post a reply to: JGR going bye-bye?

The Latest