JGR RM-Z stage 2 kit

sandtrack315
Edited Date/Time 6/17/2019 1:16pm
Honestly, isn't this just a port job with an ecu, cams, and a high compression piston? Who is going to pay 3.5K for that?
|
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
6/14/2019 2:06pm
CNC ported cylinder head
Developed by the JGRMX race team
Fully assembled by JGRMX engine techs and ready to install
Kit includes assembled cylinder head, JGRMX-spec camshafts installed, GET RX1 PRO ECU (with WiFi-Com, two-position map switch and installation instructions), JGRMX high-compression piston kit, head gasket, base gasket and NGK spark plug
Uses stock valve train and cam gears (valve springs are appropriately shimmed [450] or exchanged for proper valve control [250])
JGR logo engraved on side of head
Includes head gasket, base gasket & NGK spark plug
Hinson clutch springs are suggested
Requires the use of VP Racing T4 fuel
Available for the 2019-'20 RM-Z250 and 2018-'20 RM-Z450
Talisker
6/14/2019 2:11pm
You will be surprised.....people have money to burn.
sandtrack315
6/14/2019 2:17pm
seth505 wrote:
CNC ported cylinder head Developed by the JGRMX race team Fully assembled by JGRMX engine techs and ready to install Kit includes assembled cylinder head, JGRMX-spec...
CNC ported cylinder head
Kit includes assembled cylinder head, JGRMX-spec camshafts installed, GET RX1 PRO ECU (with WiFi-Com, two-position map switch and installation instructions), JGRMX high-compression piston kit, head gasket, base gasket and NGK spark plug
Uses stock valve train and cam gears (valve springs are appropriately shimmed [450] or exchanged for proper valve control [250])
Yeah, so what did I miss? Just saying, a well known motor builder charges maybe half that, right?

The Shop

HenryA
6/14/2019 2:19pm
Have JGR posted any dyno numbers? Is the engine able to keep up with the rest of the 450's after you spend 3.5k on it?
6/14/2019 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2019 2:34pm
I know I had a full on ported head/cam/springs/valves/piston/exhaust setup done for way less than that. And it was by a well know guy and it was incredibly fast, too fast sometimes for me.

$3500.00 sounds outrageous to me. Yikes.

No ecu in my case though.
Tpog496
6/14/2019 2:37pm
They're obviously not trying to compete with local engine builders and their target market is not the masses.
kkawboy14
6/14/2019 2:38pm
seth505 wrote:
CNC ported cylinder head Developed by the JGRMX race team Fully assembled by JGRMX engine techs and ready to install Kit includes assembled cylinder head, JGRMX-spec...
CNC ported cylinder head
People that have seen their bikes get the hole shot in a Pro race!
motomike894
6/14/2019 2:50pm
You have to consider its coming ready to go at least for 450, either way both are a whole new head assy not using your existing head, I am guessing a new head from Suzuki is at least 6-700 bucks.

I would love to have that full setup for my rmz but if I was going to spend 3-4k on something it would be towards getting A kit suspension not my motor.
Hcallz5
6/14/2019 3:02pm
So vets can tell people at the track they have a JGR race engine.
colvin227
6/14/2019 3:42pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2019 3:44pm
Im surprised it has stock valves and seats still. No valve job to compliment the porting, and no performance seats. Or at least from what has been said. But you would think if it was included it would be listed. I’m guessing if you sourced your own JE piston, and Webb cams one can put it together much cheaper. But yeah the JGR etching is exclusive. I think it’s a great idea by them and I’m super happy they are investing in the Suzuki. I just wish there was an option to send your own head in as a core to have the stuff installed vs, purchasing a whole,new head assembly to make the package cheaper and more “reasonable”
zehn
6/14/2019 3:50pm
HenryA wrote:
Have JGR posted any dyno numbers? Is the engine able to keep up with the rest of the 450's after you spend 3.5k on it?
The engine keeps up with other 450s in stock form if you just twist the throttle a little harder
6/14/2019 3:50pm
seth505 wrote:
CNC ported cylinder head
Yeah, so what did I miss? Just saying, a well known motor builder charges maybe half that, right?
If you want to buy a compete new head - approx 500
new valves - 360
valve springs - 40
buckets - 200
keepers - 5
retainers - 40

1100 ish

Complete Cams plus race ground - DCR cams is getting 1200 for billet sets right now

Then CNC port it - typically a builder retails this service for 600-900 these days at minimum
plus a race piston kit - 350
GET ecu - 900
Assembly - 200
Custom developed maps - priceless

My loose total is 4600 off that

Can you take your EXISTING parts and modify them for cheaper?
Yes
Does JGR want to deal with any of that bullshit - NO

In my world - 4500 is a drop in the bucket for a high level race engine. A twisted build or proven build is generally quoted around 10k - OTD maybe a little less
byke
6/14/2019 3:59pm
seth505 wrote:
CNC ported cylinder head
I think you're paying for the testing and research and legwork that's gone into sorting that kit out. You could do all those things individually and do the research and testing to see what works well together, or you can pay extra and have it all with a single phone call.
sandtrack315
6/15/2019 12:05am
Yeah, I see what you guys are saying regarding development and getting all new parts. It’s too bad Suzuki and JGR didn’t offer this on new bikes so you’re not paying for two heads, two pistons, and two cam sets when you get a bike. If it was an extra 2500 for the 250f and available on the showroom floor, I think it would sell a lot.
6/15/2019 1:22am
Yeah, I see what you guys are saying regarding development and getting all new parts. It’s too bad Suzuki and JGR didn’t offer this on new...
Yeah, I see what you guys are saying regarding development and getting all new parts. It’s too bad Suzuki and JGR didn’t offer this on new bikes so you’re not paying for two heads, two pistons, and two cam sets when you get a bike. If it was an extra 2500 for the 250f and available on the showroom floor, I think it would sell a lot.
You can keep those stock parts for when you sell it and put the kit on your next year bike. It will still be the same
6/15/2019 1:28am
colvin227 wrote:
Im surprised it has stock valves and seats still. No valve job to compliment the porting, and no performance seats. Or at least from what has...
Im surprised it has stock valves and seats still. No valve job to compliment the porting, and no performance seats. Or at least from what has been said. But you would think if it was included it would be listed. I’m guessing if you sourced your own JE piston, and Webb cams one can put it together much cheaper. But yeah the JGR etching is exclusive. I think it’s a great idea by them and I’m super happy they are investing in the Suzuki. I just wish there was an option to send your own head in as a core to have the stuff installed vs, purchasing a whole,new head assembly to make the package cheaper and more “reasonable”
I will bet any money you like that their kit is far faster, more reliable and better tuned than anything you can put together for less. And I highly doubt that those parts like the JE piston are the same shit anyone can buy off the shelf.
JWACK
6/15/2019 1:45am
Anyone here own a 19 rmz 250?
JB479
6/15/2019 1:52am
Or spend $3500 on tires and Gas. 90% of the population couldn't ride the bikes to there full capability anyway.
steed 2.0
6/15/2019 2:09am
Honestly, isn't this just a port job with an ecu, cams, and a high compression piston? Who is going to pay 3.5K for that?
Brand new RMZ are sold over here for around 6k + 3.5 = 9.5 wich is the same price as Honda - Yamaha - KTM/Hus with the same engine specs.
Rotaholic
6/15/2019 4:09am
I really wonder if people have even ridden modern suzukis or just regurgitate what they read on the Internet.
Here's some facts, the RM-Z450 is the same horsepower as the Kxf and Yzf, and it has more torque than the kxf, yzf and crf and almost identical to the ktm.
The RM-Z450 is only 1 pound heavier than the Yzf and 2 pounds heavier than the Crf. The suzukis are very close to being an amazing bike, but people think they're down 20hp and 50lbs overweight.

With the JGR package, these motors would be absolute rocket ships! Throw on some WP cone valves and traxx shock and you have a serious weapon of a bike.

Stats to back up my claims
http://www.vitalmx.com/features/2018-Vital-MX-450-Shootout,5510
steed 2.0
6/15/2019 4:46am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2019 4:49am
Rotaholic wrote:
I really wonder if people have even ridden modern suzukis or just regurgitate what they read on the Internet. Here's some facts, the RM-Z450 is the...
I really wonder if people have even ridden modern suzukis or just regurgitate what they read on the Internet.
Here's some facts, the RM-Z450 is the same horsepower as the Kxf and Yzf, and it has more torque than the kxf, yzf and crf and almost identical to the ktm.
The RM-Z450 is only 1 pound heavier than the Yzf and 2 pounds heavier than the Crf. The suzukis are very close to being an amazing bike, but people think they're down 20hp and 50lbs overweight.

With the JGR package, these motors would be absolute rocket ships! Throw on some WP cone valves and traxx shock and you have a serious weapon of a bike.

Stats to back up my claims
http://www.vitalmx.com/features/2018-Vital-MX-450-Shootout,5510
That’s the whole idea you can update it if you need it or just ride it bone stock at the lowest price around. Kawasaki is in the same price range + they always have some litle extras bits like Kashima coating etc. ( Better buy imo ) However, we are trapped in a system of bike shootouts where reliability is not included in the assessment and horsepower numbers have become a selling point. If a factory decides to lose 10 hp in favor of extending engine hours, they will lose the shootout + negative publications / marketing.
sandtrack315
6/15/2019 5:12am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2019 5:12am
Okay, I have been convinced this isn't the worst deal, and, if I was a Suzuki guy looking for a race bike, I would seriously consider it.
yz133rider
6/15/2019 5:20am
Okay, I have been convinced this isn't the worst deal, and, if I was a Suzuki guy looking for a race bike, I would seriously consider...
Okay, I have been convinced this isn't the worst deal, and, if I was a Suzuki guy looking for a race bike, I would seriously consider it.
Having all the stock stuff to put back on helps massively. Much the same as buying lets say a-kit vs revalving.

Buy a-kit for 3500 keep stock stuff.
Put stock back on when sell bike. Sell a-kit seperately for lets say 3k. Your out 500 and had a-kit the whole time.

Buy jgr package for 3500. Put back to stock, sell kit for 2500?

Your out 1000 in my scenario vs lets say paying 700 for porting alone that wont add any to resale value and many times even hurts your selling power.
kkawboy14
6/15/2019 5:26am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2019 5:26am
Do people not realize that they can change the ignition on most every bike now? If you try the “ludicrous speed” one.....and still need more.....you are seriously fast!
sandtrack315
6/15/2019 5:32am
Okay, I have been convinced this isn't the worst deal, and, if I was a Suzuki guy looking for a race bike, I would seriously consider...
yz133rider wrote:
Having all the stock stuff to put back on helps massively. Much the same as buying lets say a-kit vs revalving. Buy a-kit for 3500 keep...
Having all the stock stuff to put back on helps massively. Much the same as buying lets say a-kit vs revalving.

Buy a-kit for 3500 keep stock stuff.
Put stock back on when sell bike. Sell a-kit seperately for lets say 3k. Your out 500 and had a-kit the whole time.

Buy jgr package for 3500. Put back to stock, sell kit for 2500?

Your out 1000 in my scenario vs lets say paying 700 for porting alone that wont add any to resale value and many times even hurts your selling power.
Little easier to swap out suspension than motor parts, but I see your point.
Bruce372
6/15/2019 7:09am
The engine kit nearly costs as much as the bike. Lol.

As for putting it back to stock when you sell it and the parts, good luck with that too.
6/15/2019 8:26am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2019 8:29am
So I read through most of this thread.
I have a 2012 RMZ450 that does not see a lot of ride time. Stock it was far from slow but I felt like I shifted a lot. So I did a few mods, one at a time.
1) -Ported the head for low to mid power. (kept the rest stock)

2) -Moto Tass air4orce

3) -Crower cams (This mod really spread out the power) My theory was to use the cam and Vortex to spread out the power.

4) -Vortex (may be the single best mod)

That was all done by me. I still run the standard Vortex map(s), so there alone I’m leaving some more tuneability in the table.
I also do use race fuel. The question I ask myself is that if I had the time and money I would of like to try a HC piston, with stock Cams. I was told the stock cams on Suzuki are good. The point is that JGR did all your homework for you, took all the trial and error out of the process. So you can know it’s done right, and reliable. I don’t think it’s a bad value after doing what I have done.
Now selling the bike & recouping the cost is a another topic for dicussion. Suzuki is far underrated as a mx machine imo.
Yes I’d rather buy a RMZ and make it like I want it, then buy a Orange or white bike for $10,000.

Ghost

Post a reply to: JGR RM-Z stage 2 kit

The Latest