JGR 2020

psg119
3/7/2019 1:23pm
kiwifan wrote:
I suspect JGR will not be around next year, I hope not....
AMart has a two year deal I believe. So I’d think they’d at least be around that long.
psg119
3/7/2019 1:31pm
Brent wrote:
...word is that Coy is over it.
I feel like having a winning rider can change that in a heart beat. Aside from Reed’s improvement this year and a couple good finishes from JimmyD and AMart it’s been a rough year for them.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
3/7/2019 2:27pm
Falcon wrote:
There are a couple things you do NOT do if you have no interest in or are about to pull out of a sport: -Offer an...
There are a couple things you do NOT do if you have no interest in or are about to pull out of a sport:

-Offer an $8M contingency program
-Tie that program to a new name, ("RM ARMY",) and use that name as an umbrella over an amateur-to-pro development program like Honda and Kawasaki have. (BTW, kids on RM85s are being groomed for this exact purpose right now.)
-Hire people to manage those programs

Don't confuse Suzuki's unwillingness to invest massive resources in MX at an inopportune time for weakness. Their time will come. It just may take a few more years.

GrapeApe wrote:
Suzuki knows they will only pay out a tiny, tiny fraction of that $8M contingency. Nobody rides Suzuki's at the contingency paying races and those few...
Suzuki knows they will only pay out a tiny, tiny fraction of that $8M contingency. Nobody rides Suzuki's at the contingency paying races and those few that do are nowhere near the front. RM Army is not a new name, it has been around for a while with different setups and management. It is nowhere near the level of Orange Brigade KTM, Amsoil Honda, Team Green Kawasaki, Rockstar Husky and Star Yamaha.

The truth is Suzuki pulled out of MXGP, MX2, and All Japan Nationals, as well as shuttering their off-road programs and running a skeleton amateur program. They are still involved in US SX/MX only because they found an existing self-sufficient team to use their equipment and adopt the "factory" label. That team, however, lost its title sponsor and Coy has gone back to work on the NASCAR side of the garage. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if JGR was still going a couple of years from now, and unless Suzuki finds someone like Yosh to take them back in-house that will be the end of Suzuki's participation worldwide.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
If JGR goes away, what happens then? Does Suzuki pull out of pro racing completely? Do they put their effort into HEP? Does someone new step...
If JGR goes away, what happens then? Does Suzuki pull out of pro racing completely? Do they put their effort into HEP? Does someone new step up? Does Suzuki come back with their own factory effort? I really hope JGR doesn't go anywhere.
I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Then again, all the same pundits have been soothsaying the demise of Suzuki for how many years now???
Indy mxer
3/7/2019 2:35pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Bunch of idiots on this thread trashing Suzuki as it’s not good enough. How many 450 championships does Honda have in the last 15 years?big 0...
Bunch of idiots on this thread trashing Suzuki as it’s not good enough. How many 450 championships does Honda have in the last 15 years?big 0. You except a bike that is sooo superior would blow the doors off Suzuki. The bike fine. But hey let’s push jgr out because there bike is trash.
Yeah I get tired of all the Honda ass suckers too. They'd buy a Honda even if it had square wheels. Plus, they haven't won jack shit in the 450 class for many years!
I ride Kawi but I have buddies that ride Zook's and love them.
They don't have e-start and are just a bit heavy. But they're rock solid, and frankly the new ones look bad ass.

Imo the JGR bikes look great. I hope they stay in the sport, we need them.

The Shop

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
3/7/2019 3:16pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
TP I feel can't be put in the discussion, just like RC. Is Martinez getting help from Suzuki or just getting help from a shop for...
TP I feel can't be put in the discussion, just like RC.
Is Martinez getting help from Suzuki or just getting help from a shop for bikes?
Castelo was getting help from the amateur team for the first few west coast rounds and that was it.

If they are helping Martinez, how much help is he really getting?

Outside of JGR and HEP there aren't more than 2 or 3 guys in the 450 class and 1 or 2 in the 250 class and I believe the reasoning for that is because of the lack of support for anyone other than JGR, HEP. If they had more support, I truly believe we'd see way more privateers riding them. Especially with the pricing on their bikes.

I want to see Suzuki back 100%. They have such a good package to start with and the best contingency at the amateur level. And I am so glad to see them back on the amateur level and looking like they will continue to grow their team. It's good for everyone.

Edit: Sorry if I jumped around or anything. Scatter brain at work right now and a whole lot in my mind on this subject lol
I'm not saying they have nearly as much support as other mfg's. Just pointing out that they are out there supporting people. JT$ is another example...
I'm not saying they have nearly as much support as other mfg's. Just pointing out that they are out there supporting people. JT$ is another example. Not a current racer, but he has more influence than a guy just trying to make the mains. People can scoff at the $8 mil in contingency that won't get paid out, but if you want good contingency, it's there for the taking. Don't know how anybody can talk shit about that. This is another example of a business not meeting people's unnecessary expectations, because they don't want to or are not in a position to do so. If Suzuki wanted ti go all in and saw it as a good business move, I'm sure they would. It's not like they are trying to put out a revolutionary machine. Maybe I'm just able to accept their current status in the market.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I hope I'm not coming across as talking shit, because I'm not. I love the 17 RMZ450 and can't wait to ride it more. There is...
I hope I'm not coming across as talking shit, because I'm not. I love the 17 RMZ450 and can't wait to ride it more. There is no beating Suzuki's contingency either. For my class Yamaha and many others pay $75 a win at most rounds, while Suzuki pays $150. Yamaha and the other pay $100 a win for my dad's class and Suzuki pays $150. That adds up and was one big reason my dad made the switch to Suzuki. He ended up liking the bikes more than he ever thought he would and six years later, he is still riding them.
How is it to Kawi? Keefer just did an article comparing what aray would get vs other brands. Suzuki, (at least pros) is the least, while Kawi is the highest by far.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/7/2019 3:26pm
I'm not saying they have nearly as much support as other mfg's. Just pointing out that they are out there supporting people. JT$ is another example...
I'm not saying they have nearly as much support as other mfg's. Just pointing out that they are out there supporting people. JT$ is another example. Not a current racer, but he has more influence than a guy just trying to make the mains. People can scoff at the $8 mil in contingency that won't get paid out, but if you want good contingency, it's there for the taking. Don't know how anybody can talk shit about that. This is another example of a business not meeting people's unnecessary expectations, because they don't want to or are not in a position to do so. If Suzuki wanted ti go all in and saw it as a good business move, I'm sure they would. It's not like they are trying to put out a revolutionary machine. Maybe I'm just able to accept their current status in the market.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I hope I'm not coming across as talking shit, because I'm not. I love the 17 RMZ450 and can't wait to ride it more. There is...
I hope I'm not coming across as talking shit, because I'm not. I love the 17 RMZ450 and can't wait to ride it more. There is no beating Suzuki's contingency either. For my class Yamaha and many others pay $75 a win at most rounds, while Suzuki pays $150. Yamaha and the other pay $100 a win for my dad's class and Suzuki pays $150. That adds up and was one big reason my dad made the switch to Suzuki. He ended up liking the bikes more than he ever thought he would and six years later, he is still riding them.
How is it to Kawi? Keefer just did an article comparing what aray would get vs other brands. Suzuki, (at least pros) is the least, while...
How is it to Kawi? Keefer just did an article comparing what aray would get vs other brands. Suzuki, (at least pros) is the least, while Kawi is the highest by far.
Kawi was about the same as Yamaha, Honda, KTM and Husky.
kiwifan
3/7/2019 3:33pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Bunch of idiots on this thread trashing Suzuki as it’s not good enough. How many 450 championships does Honda have in the last 15 years?big 0...
Bunch of idiots on this thread trashing Suzuki as it’s not good enough. How many 450 championships does Honda have in the last 15 years?big 0. You except a bike that is sooo superior would blow the doors off Suzuki. The bike fine. But hey let’s push jgr out because there bike is trash.
Indy mxer wrote:
Yeah I get tired of all the Honda ass suckers too. They'd buy a Honda even if it had square wheels. Plus, they haven't won jack...
Yeah I get tired of all the Honda ass suckers too. They'd buy a Honda even if it had square wheels. Plus, they haven't won jack shit in the 450 class for many years!
I ride Kawi but I have buddies that ride Zook's and love them.
They don't have e-start and are just a bit heavy. But they're rock solid, and frankly the new ones look bad ass.

Imo the JGR bikes look great. I hope they stay in the sport, we need them.
C'mon, every brand here gets well represented in its own favouritism ....all the bikes are good, no one is a real lemon ...neither Suzuki or the Honda regardless of SX/MX wins/titles or not
twizzler
3/7/2019 4:42pm
For MX I hope JGR comes back strong. AMart on the 250 could be up front and do very well. Decotis also. Pending Peick's come back he could be strong in 450's like always. They could get Tickle if cleared by WADA to ride outdoors. I've seen Tickle at Pala and he looks better and faster than ever. Although I've seen him on KTM 450. Enzo Lopes is not riding SX to his speed and potential, hoping he can turn it around. He could do well outdoors also.
3/7/2019 4:55pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I certainly did not mean that you were talking shit. I was speaking about others in this thread and in general. I understand people’s frustration as I made the switch to green when Suzuki took a step back. I’m not mad about it or making ridiculous claims about the bikes being bad though, because they are far from it. Thinking about picking one up in the next year or so.
Flatliner
3/7/2019 5:27pm
Brent wrote:
...word is that Coy is over it.
Wouldn’t you be?

He was patient but that family is about winning. He’s probably had plenty of 80h weeks working on and for that team, and not winning gets old to a guy like that.

I think a few years ago they basically offered dungey a blank check and he passed.
drt410
3/7/2019 5:36pm
Spat24 wrote:
For 2020 JGR should go after Joey Savetgy - he is showing he can compete in the 450's and will be even better next year. Just...
For 2020 JGR should go after Joey Savetgy - he is showing he can compete in the 450's and will be even better next year. Just depends if Kawi lets him go.

They should also resign Reed. I am not a big Reed fan but it is going to be a big story all of next year that it is his last. He will get good press for the bike and go out with a fun SX season. Then he can turn to racing cars for JGR.

I like the Deno rumor - great rider and great with fans. He would do well and needs to keep up with the off season videos. I believe those won over many fans and can help Suzuki if they would participate - maybe help the Suzuki amateur riders.

For the 250 class - I agree they need some top amateurs to come up and surprise us - i hope so!
Hmm Deano would be a greaaaat signing if hes back to privateer status again. Deano can just make it work, hed be fine on the zook. JGR seems to make some very good bikes too.
carmfarm
3/7/2019 9:05pm
4csHATER wrote:
Dude why all the hate on justin hill, he is just young and having fun, isnt that what it was all supposed to be about in...
Dude why all the hate on justin hill, he is just young and having fun, isnt that what it was all supposed to be about in the first place.

all this seriousness is gonna kill dirt bikes, no wonder why walmart and kroger dont sell toy dirt bikes any more, there is no fun in it, and when there is your looked at as wrong.

Explains why hot wheels pulled out of moto no fun in it.
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Not sure he’s being paid to just be “young and have fun”. Although I don't know the details of his contract. Hate to burst your bubble...
Not sure he’s being paid to just be “young and have fun”. Although I don't know the details of his contract. Hate to burst your bubble kid but it is serious when these teams are investing the amount of money they are for each rider. at the end of the day it is a business.....
How much is Hill getting paid?
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1610th
3/7/2019 9:49pm
Reed could quite easily play a much more pivotal role as the new team manager. The depth of his riding/training experience along with his obvious popularity could make him the new Roger D.
In this new role as a manager only (not riding) and mentor to riders affiliated with JGR he could instill a new sense of excitement and hope.
Jeremy could easily stay on as his experience with the mechanical side has excellent merit I imagine.

It’s my limited sense sponsored riders with JGR would have a dramatically different kinship with Chad that may inspire greater accountability.

I can easily see Chad creating a role like The Man has in the future of professional motocross. He has hung in there out on the track for a variety of reasons. His obvious love of the sport is certainly a huge part of that.
TeamGreen
3/7/2019 10:13pm
4csHATER wrote:
Dude why all the hate on justin hill, he is just young and having fun, isnt that what it was all supposed to be about in...
Dude why all the hate on justin hill, he is just young and having fun, isnt that what it was all supposed to be about in the first place.

all this seriousness is gonna kill dirt bikes, no wonder why walmart and kroger dont sell toy dirt bikes any more, there is no fun in it, and when there is your looked at as wrong.

Explains why hot wheels pulled out of moto no fun in it.
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Not sure he’s being paid to just be “young and have fun”. Although I don't know the details of his contract. Hate to burst your bubble...
Not sure he’s being paid to just be “young and have fun”. Although I don't know the details of his contract. Hate to burst your bubble kid but it is serious when these teams are investing the amount of money they are for each rider. at the end of the day it is a business.....
carmfarm wrote:
‘Bout Tree Fiddy
3/8/2019 5:15am
Everyone bags Suzuki and JGR but Reed just became the oldest guy to get a podium in SX.. can’t be all bad
Moto man
3/8/2019 6:12am
carmfarm wrote:
JGR salary $550,000
Wells423
3/8/2019 7:28am
carmfarm wrote:
Moto man wrote:
JGR salary $550,000
Hard to believe they are paying Hill that.
Moto man
3/8/2019 7:36am
carmfarm wrote:
Moto man wrote:
JGR salary $550,000
Wells423 wrote:
I’m telling you what it is. Not asking you to believe the number .
rhargrave431
3/8/2019 7:42am
I think Amart will go out and do well outdoors, which will prove to other riders and fans the bike is good, in turn, bringing on better riders and such. I would take Lopes outdoors too. He is young and has potential. Jimmy d has a great fan base, but he has never done a lot outdoors. If the Hill option to ride outdoors is indeed true as mentioned before, I think going outside with Deano or Tickle and Ferris, and Amart and Lopes.
150ripper
3/8/2019 7:53am
Bike can't be too bad; they're a few years removed from a 450 outdoor title and a couple of years ago Justin Bogle got a damn overall win. Peick looked pretty damn good on it last year and Reed has been competitive as of late.

When was the last time there were 6 competitive brands in moto?? With the rise of Husqvarna over the last several years, maybe Suziki's time is up.
3/8/2019 8:59am
TooOld4WFO wrote:
Reed could quite easily play a much more pivotal role as the new team manager. The depth of his riding/training experience along with his obvious popularity...
Reed could quite easily play a much more pivotal role as the new team manager. The depth of his riding/training experience along with his obvious popularity could make him the new Roger D.
In this new role as a manager only (not riding) and mentor to riders affiliated with JGR he could instill a new sense of excitement and hope.
Jeremy could easily stay on as his experience with the mechanical side has excellent merit I imagine.

It’s my limited sense sponsored riders with JGR would have a dramatically different kinship with Chad that may inspire greater accountability.

I can easily see Chad creating a role like The Man has in the future of professional motocross. He has hung in there out on the track for a variety of reasons. His obvious love of the sport is certainly a huge part of that.

The same minute that Chad said that he´s moving east... I thought not for 1 year as a driver...
but for 5 years as team manager...
TeamGreen
3/8/2019 9:15am
Everyone bags Suzuki and JGR but Reed just became the oldest guy to get a podium in SX.. can’t be all bad
There's another point to be made about Chad getting on the box...
On the RMZ...
With JGR...

Chad's pretty damn picky about what he likes and how the bike needs to work. There's a bit of history to confirm this.

All the while, he's looks damn comfortable on the bike and has had some damn good starts...and, for a guy that's had his fair share of injuries and a few years under his belt,..he's gone out there and pushed his way towards the front. Getting a podium in SX ain't an easy thing to do.

JGR & Suzuki need a rider that's at the top of the game to get the results that many of you seem to call "successful" or viable, apparently. So, when and if they get the sponsors and/or the budget to hire one of the guys at the top of the game...? Well, that's when you can expect to see Suzuki racing for championships.

They've made that move with A-Mart on their 250 team. Let's see if they go that route on 450s.
web mx
3/8/2019 9:20am
Moto man wrote:
JGR salary $550,000
Wells423 wrote:
Moto man wrote:
I’m telling you what it is. Not asking you to believe the number .
How would you even know his salary ? just because you saw uptite's post
3/8/2019 9:24am
TooOld4WFO wrote:
Reed could quite easily play a much more pivotal role as the new team manager. The depth of his riding/training experience along with his obvious popularity...

Chad keeps dropping hints about "something coming up" which leads me to believe that there may be some substance to him having a bigger role in JGR, along with the fact that he loaded up the family from his longtime residence in FL and Moved to NC? He said he would like to race another year, but if something in the works (ie Coy bowing out), he could be done racing this year.
3/8/2019 9:27am
TooOld4WFO wrote:

Dirtdemon wrote:

The same minute that Chad said that he´s moving east... I thought not for 1 year as a driver...
but for 5 years as team manager...
Agreed, but with that being said, he kinda said the same thing about his recent stint at Yamaha, so.............. But, he didnt sell out and move?
TeamGreen
3/8/2019 9:40am
If Chad took on a part of the management role at JGR?

That would be good for everybody involved including Suzuki. He seems to have a good feel for developing the bike into a competitive Factory level racer.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
3/8/2019 9:43am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2019 9:58am
I hope JGR stays around for a long time.

I would like Suzuki to re-invest in MX a little bit more. Re-introduce their last 125/250 two strokes at entry level pricing, put on e-start and a hydraulic clutch on their bikes, maybe think about differentiating themselves by going full KTM and change their four stroke line back to a steel frame, make an RMZ 350 perhaps...
BobPA
3/8/2019 9:45am
It’s all the Kmart trail machine lover boys that bash and bash Suzuki’s. But hey they’re also riding a 9k+ bike complaining about there air forks...
It’s all the Kmart trail machine lover boys that bash and bash Suzuki’s. But hey they’re also riding a 9k+ bike complaining about there air forks while doing 3 lap Motos Laughing
Derp.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/8/2019 9:51am
It’s all the Kmart trail machine lover boys that bash and bash Suzuki’s. But hey they’re also riding a 9k+ bike complaining about there air forks...
It’s all the Kmart trail machine lover boys that bash and bash Suzuki’s. But hey they’re also riding a 9k+ bike complaining about there air forks while doing 3 lap Motos Laughing
BobPA wrote:
Derp. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/03/08/330466/s1200_FFC1C244_E3F0_48E8_88D5_7F3E54300421.jpg[/img]
Derp.

MSRP yes. People are not paying that. My area they are advertised at $6599 for 2019s.

Post a reply to: JGR 2020

The Latest