JGR 2020

RTDRacing
3/7/2019 5:13am
twizzler wrote:
If JGR folds, I think that will be the end of Suzuki in USA pro racing SX/MX. They won't fund their own factory team. JGR going...
If JGR folds, I think that will be the end of Suzuki in USA pro racing SX/MX. They won't fund their own factory team. JGR going away is bad for all things moto. I hope they stay around for years to come. Pro's already don't ride Suzuki's unless they are on JGR or HEP. Privateers don't choose to race Suzuki's due to their lack of innovation. Amateurs don't even ride them. If Suzuki doesn't change their ways they may just fade away out of the dirt bike market altogether. Future for Suzuki dirt bikes does not look good at this current time.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I'd have to disagree on privateers not riding them because of lack of innovation. I'd say it has more to do with lack of support. But...
I'd have to disagree on privateers not riding them because of lack of innovation. I'd say it has more to do with lack of support. But that's just like, my opinion man Wink
rob162 wrote:
This guy gets it. Suzuki is not doing a ton to support local and national pros let alone amateurs
Not sure he does get it:

Brea, CA- Offering one of the most comprehensive payouts in the industry, Suzuki Motor of America, Inc.’s (SMAI) Racing Contingency Program returns strong for 2019 with nearly $8 million in available funds. From local series to world championships, and everything in between, Suzuki’s commitment to racing and its leading contingency program as well as Suzuki’s Amateur Racing and RM Army Support is at the core of its DNA. Suzuki riders can take full advantage of these program benefits while owning the racetrack and earning valuable rewards.

Up to $6 million in contingency is available for off-road and motocross riders to race the all-new Suzuki RM-Z250, RM-Z450, RM85, and RMX450Z. Nearly $1.3 million can be earned by road racers competing on legendary GSX-R1000, GSX-R600, and SV650 sportbikes. An additional half-million dollars of contingency is available to flat track racers campaigning the RM-Z450 or using engines from the renowned SV650 V-Twin.
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1924th
3/7/2019 5:30am
JGR should have reed back for SX and hire deano. Have dean and WP for outdoors and those 3 for SX. All pretty cheap guys and you aren’t paying any of them to go win your paying for top 10s and top 5s.
sam hain
3/7/2019 5:48am
Not here to bash the bike or the teams but Ken's title keeps coming up here. I'm curious if Ken's RC factory bike had more resources (factory parts) than say Chad's JGR bike does?

In terms of Weston, I wish him the best but I don't think he'll ever ride pro again. The last interview I saw with him he is still partially blind.
Bramlett321
3/7/2019 6:36am
4csHATER wrote:
Dude why all the hate on justin hill, he is just young and having fun, isnt that what it was all supposed to be about in...
Dude why all the hate on justin hill, he is just young and having fun, isnt that what it was all supposed to be about in the first place.

all this seriousness is gonna kill dirt bikes, no wonder why walmart and kroger dont sell toy dirt bikes any more, there is no fun in it, and when there is your looked at as wrong.

Explains why hot wheels pulled out of moto no fun in it.
This is a multi million dollar business....not recess. If that's what Justin wants, and that's his God given right then he needs to go ride the hills with his brother and Mr. Slayground. More than once last year he stood on the podium and said I'm this and that on the 450, he sold himself based on the Tampa ride and hasn't been close to backing it up. From the outside it looks like the guy doesn't care about the company he represents and how he's making them look. But he got his check I'm sure!!!

The Shop

tprice07
3/7/2019 6:36am
It will be Reed and Wilson. With those two, you don't need to win to get the exposure. At the end of the day, with all of those sponsors, that's what JGR needs...exposure.

That plus, Wilson has some serious speed.
kage173
3/7/2019 6:50am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2019 6:51am
JGR is what it is. A non-factory effort that does a great job with sponsorship and promotion. That's all they will be. They experienced what happened when you go for a championship with Bubba and they saw what happened to RCH when it swung for the fences.

You can't consistently compete for championships and be a sustainable business if you don't sell motorcycles.

Hill is out next year. But, if he gets 3 podiums by end of year everybody will love him and it'll be all good.
mxer807
3/7/2019 7:32am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2019 7:34am
sam hain wrote:
Not here to bash the bike or the teams but Ken's title keeps coming up here. I'm curious if Ken's RC factory bike had more resources...
Not here to bash the bike or the teams but Ken's title keeps coming up here. I'm curious if Ken's RC factory bike had more resources (factory parts) than say Chad's JGR bike does?

In terms of Weston, I wish him the best but I don't think he'll ever ride pro again. The last interview I saw with him he is still partially blind.
I definitely don’t think RCH/soaring eagle put more money/resources into the bike than JGR. The bikes aren’t bad. (Regardless of how many people say they are. Those people probably haven’t owned one. )
snape99
3/7/2019 7:47am
Is dean Ferris riding outdoors for jgr this season? He is practicing on a Suzuki,
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/7/2019 8:38am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2019 8:42am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I'd have to disagree on privateers not riding them because of lack of innovation. I'd say it has more to do with lack of support. But...
I'd have to disagree on privateers not riding them because of lack of innovation. I'd say it has more to do with lack of support. But that's just like, my opinion man Wink
rob162 wrote:
This guy gets it. Suzuki is not doing a ton to support local and national pros let alone amateurs
RTDRacing wrote:
Not sure he does get it: Brea, CA- Offering one of the most comprehensive payouts in the industry, Suzuki Motor of America, Inc.’s (SMAI) Racing Contingency...
Not sure he does get it:

Brea, CA- Offering one of the most comprehensive payouts in the industry, Suzuki Motor of America, Inc.’s (SMAI) Racing Contingency Program returns strong for 2019 with nearly $8 million in available funds. From local series to world championships, and everything in between, Suzuki’s commitment to racing and its leading contingency program as well as Suzuki’s Amateur Racing and RM Army Support is at the core of its DNA. Suzuki riders can take full advantage of these program benefits while owning the racetrack and earning valuable rewards.

Up to $6 million in contingency is available for off-road and motocross riders to race the all-new Suzuki RM-Z250, RM-Z450, RM85, and RMX450Z. Nearly $1.3 million can be earned by road racers competing on legendary GSX-R1000, GSX-R600, and SV650 sportbikes. An additional half-million dollars of contingency is available to flat track racers campaigning the RM-Z450 or using engines from the renowned SV650 V-Twin.
I do get it. Their contingency is better than anyone else. Which is what got my dad riding Suzuki's in 2013. I have a 2017 RMZ450 in my garage right now.

Other than their amateur team, JGR and HEP what other support do they give to anyone?
Press516
Fantasy
126th
3/7/2019 9:22am
I hope JGR has a plan and it’s executable. None of us know that answer.

On the other hand and it’s been said many times before, they need to resurrect their youth program. I wonder sometimes if they have already forgotten the Dungey story...
Gilby122
3/7/2019 9:49am
Are they really wanting to contend for championships though? JBone said on the Matthes podcast that their best year was the year(s) they had Grant and Brayton. He said those 'types' of guys are their guys. Like it's been stated here, they lost their a$$ with Stew and Barcia trying to win big, but that 5-7th place finish was a better return on their investment. He also stated that as long as they aren't losing money, Coy is fine with the team. I do believe he said without that title sponsor right now, they're probably on the losing end, however.

In that interview it was pretty clear they weren't happy with what Hill was bringing to the table results-wise.
3/7/2019 10:03am
rob162 wrote:
RTDRacing wrote:
Not sure he does get it: Brea, CA- Offering one of the most comprehensive payouts in the industry, Suzuki Motor of America, Inc.’s (SMAI) Racing Contingency...
Not sure he does get it:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
I do get it. Their contingency is better than anyone else. Which is what got my dad riding Suzuki's in 2013. I have a 2017 RMZ450...
I do get it. Their contingency is better than anyone else. Which is what got my dad riding Suzuki's in 2013. I have a 2017 RMZ450 in my garage right now.

Other than their amateur team, JGR and HEP what other support do they give to anyone?
They’ve supported Pastrana post racing. Cole Martinez is currently racing a Suzuki and Martin Castello was on a 250 on the west coast. They obviously took a step back when they nearly quit development of their bikes, outsourced the factory team, and seemed to be in no rush to get new year production bikes released. They are making a push to get back. No different than when the YZF 450 was the bike to hate before it became the RM-Z.
3/7/2019 10:37am
Wells423 wrote:
Assuming this is Justin Hill’s last season with them (as it should be), what is their next big move? The really need someone capable of getting...
Assuming this is Justin Hill’s last season with them (as it should be), what is their next big move? The really need someone capable of getting results regularly. It’s ridiculous that Hill can’t manage to crack the top 10 with JA, WP, MS, ZO, VF, JB missing. Funny how he was supposed to be a bad ass and has flopped while JS nad AP both have top 5’s. Chad Reed is the only guy getting results and he’s inconsistent at best. They really need to put a good bid in on JS or AC and hire Wilson as a back up. I’m sure it’s hard to sell a title sponsor when your marquis guy is a back marker most nights. Hopefully they can hire someone worth paying before it’s to late.
I think I heard Steve talking about this on Pulp a few weeks back. I don't think that they necessarily need to go out and get great results when they have a guy like Chad Reed on their roster. Having Reedy get a podium on Suzuki probably sells more bikes than they would if Little Hill was winning races. Instead of spending big bucks to try and win races, they might be better off keeping Reed and getting rid of Hill for someone like Josh Grant who is loved by the fans and won't have a ton of pressure to perform. I can see Wilson being a great sign considering his popularity, but Savatgy doesn't have the personality to help grow hype around the team. I think at this point, having good personalities and well-known riders on your team could be more valuable than having guys who are winning. For example, I think there are just as many people who are buying Suzuki's because Chad Reed ride's one than those who are buying KTM's because Cooper is winning on one.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/7/2019 10:47am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2019 10:54am
RTDRacing wrote:
Not sure he does get it:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
I do get it. Their contingency is better than anyone else. Which is what got my dad riding Suzuki's in 2013. I have a 2017 RMZ450...

They’ve supported Pastrana post racing. Cole Martinez is currently racing a Suzuki and Martin Castello was on a 250 on the west coast. They obviously took...
They’ve supported Pastrana post racing. Cole Martinez is currently racing a Suzuki and Martin Castello was on a 250 on the west coast. They obviously took a step back when they nearly quit development of their bikes, outsourced the factory team, and seemed to be in no rush to get new year production bikes released. They are making a push to get back. No different than when the YZF 450 was the bike to hate before it became the RM-Z.
TP I feel can't be put in the discussion, just like RC.
Is Martinez getting help from Suzuki or just getting help from a shop for bikes?
Castelo was getting help from the amateur team for the first few west coast rounds and that was it.

If they are helping Martinez, how much help is he really getting?

Outside of JGR and HEP there aren't more than 2 or 3 guys in the 450 class and 1 or 2 in the 250 class and I believe the reasoning for that is because of the lack of support for anyone other than JGR, HEP. If they had more support, I truly believe we'd see way more privateers riding them. Especially with the pricing on their bikes.

I want to see Suzuki back 100%. They have such a good package to start with and the best contingency at the amateur level. And I am so glad to see them back on the amateur level and looking like they will continue to grow their team. It's good for everyone.

Edit: Sorry if I jumped around or anything. Scatter brain at work right now and a whole lot in my mind on this subject lol
toomanykaws
3/7/2019 10:55am
Ask any Factory team manager. 70-80% rider and the rest is bike. None of the current production bikes setup for any pro rider are at a disadvantage. Bike doesn't ride itself but sure gets blamed.
Donovan759
3/7/2019 11:00am
kiwifan wrote:
I suspect JGR will not be around next year, I hope not....
I hope that's not the case, but I am thinking the same thing. We'll see.
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1924th
3/7/2019 11:02am
kiwifan wrote:
I suspect JGR will not be around next year, I hope not....
twizzler wrote:
If JGR folds, I think that will be the end of Suzuki in USA pro racing SX/MX. They won't fund their own factory team. JGR going...
If JGR folds, I think that will be the end of Suzuki in USA pro racing SX/MX. They won't fund their own factory team. JGR going away is bad for all things moto. I hope they stay around for years to come. Pro's already don't ride Suzuki's unless they are on JGR or HEP. Privateers don't choose to race Suzuki's due to their lack of innovation. Amateurs don't even ride them. If Suzuki doesn't change their ways they may just fade away out of the dirt bike market altogether. Future for Suzuki dirt bikes does not look good at this current time.
Dr.201 wrote:
Suzuki’s are definitely not as bad as you vital member say they are. First off they are the cheapest bike by literally $2000 or more and...
Suzuki’s are definitely not as bad as you vital member say they are. First off they are the cheapest bike by literally $2000 or more and nobody has the skill set to ride a 450 motor to its full potential even if it is outdated. Secondly, they are a bullet proof bike and their chassis development is and has been cutting edge . Ever notice how every single manufacturer has followed their lead with more front leaning/forward weight like chassis?

Sorry for the rant I just get sick of hearing all of these Joe’s crack on Suzuki like it is the bike holding the riders back at the pro level which is a total crock of shit.
It’s all the Kmart trail machine lover boys that bash and bash Suzuki’s. But hey they’re also riding a 9k+ bike complaining about there air forks while doing 3 lap Motos Laughing
twizzler
3/7/2019 11:06am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2019 11:16am
twizzler wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
rob162 wrote:
Funny, I had lack of Suzuki support on my mind as I agree that is a big issue for Pros and Ams. But for some reason it didn't make it from my brain to my fingers. Suzuki does field a amateur team and has a very good contingency program; Kobusch is on it and a few others on 250F's and 85's as it's called their RMArmy team. I still think Suzuki has a black eye for most racers, due to their lack of innovation to keep up with the other OEM's. I've talked to pro's and Amateurs and Vets - all say basically the same thing the mags say - no kickstart, heavy, cheap parts, not fast enough, blah blah. I even go into SoCal Suzuki dealers and no RMZ's, no 450 or 250 on their floors. Very hard to find a dealer that stocks RMZ's around here. I do agree it's not the BIKE, but perception is real, guys don't want them. Even though the BIKE is not the problem.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/7/2019 11:09am
It’s all the Kmart trail machine lover boys that bash and bash Suzuki’s. But hey they’re also riding a 9k+ bike complaining about there air forks...
It’s all the Kmart trail machine lover boys that bash and bash Suzuki’s. But hey they’re also riding a 9k+ bike complaining about there air forks while doing 3 lap Motos Laughing
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/7/2019 11:10am
There are a couple things you do NOT do if you have no interest in or are about to pull out of a sport:

-Offer an $8M contingency program
-Tie that program to a new name, ("RM ARMY",) and use that name as an umbrella over an amateur-to-pro development program like Honda and Kawasaki have. (BTW, kids on RM85s are being groomed for this exact purpose right now.)
-Hire people to manage those programs

Don't confuse Suzuki's unwillingness to invest massive resources in MX at an inopportune time for weakness. Their time will come. It just may take a few more years.

mxer807
3/7/2019 11:17am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
rob162 wrote:
twizzler wrote:
Funny, I had lack of Suzuki support on my mind as I agree that is a big issue for Pros and Ams. But for some reason...
Funny, I had lack of Suzuki support on my mind as I agree that is a big issue for Pros and Ams. But for some reason it didn't make it from my brain to my fingers. Suzuki does field a amateur team and has a very good contingency program; Kobusch is on it and a few others on 250F's and 85's as it's called their RMArmy team. I still think Suzuki has a black eye for most racers, due to their lack of innovation to keep up with the other OEM's. I've talked to pro's and Amateurs and Vets - all say basically the same thing the mags say - no kickstart, heavy, cheap parts, not fast enough, blah blah. I even go into SoCal Suzuki dealers and no RMZ's, no 450 or 250 on their floors. Very hard to find a dealer that stocks RMZ's around here. I do agree it's not the BIKE, but perception is real, guys don't want them. Even though the BIKE is not the problem.
The bikes are built well and the parts are good quality... mine at 60 hours still had original clutches, and I just put new brake pads on it before I sold it at 60 hours. Bike looked great and held up great and it was raced at an intermediate level . I have a husky now but if I didn’t buy a husky, I would have bought another Suzuki. Everybody hates on the Suzuki cuz they don’t follow the trends. I hope jgr sticks around and sticks with Suzuki.
twizzler
3/7/2019 11:27am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2019 11:29am
Falcon wrote:
There are a couple things you do NOT do if you have no interest in or are about to pull out of a sport: -Offer an...
There are a couple things you do NOT do if you have no interest in or are about to pull out of a sport:

-Tie that program to a new name, ("RM ARMY",) and use that name as an umbrella over an amateur-to-pro development program like Honda and Kawasaki have. (BTW, kids on RM85s are being groomed for this exact purpose right now.)

Don't confuse Suzuki's unwillingness to invest massive resources in MX at an inopportune time for weakness. Their time will come. It just may take a few more years.

It seems they are making an effort to become more relevant. RM Army Am team has some good up and comers! 2019 Contingency is great! That is a good marketing to bring awareness that if you ride yellow and perform you will earn some $. I'm in the market to buy a new RMZ450 but there aren't any dealers within 1-1.5 hours of me that have a RMZ on their lot. And I just haven't been able to make it to those far away dealers on the weekends. Suzuki is my favorite brand and I want to see them succeed and get back to their glory days. Hoping JGR fields a major sponsor and hires available talent. Hoping RMArmy Am team succeeds and grows. Hope their contingency sticks around and pays out extremely well. Hope their 2020 and beyond bikes overcome riders perception and improve to the point of doing much better in the shootouts.
Rotaholic
3/7/2019 11:32am
Ferris will get a JGR ride outdoors this season, a lot of fast guys don't mind the weight of the suzuki because it gives it that planted feel suzuki have. Justin Hill puts in close to the fastest qualifying time most weeks, the bike is competitive no doubt about it.
Brent
3/7/2019 11:33am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2019 11:35am
...word is that Coy is over it.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
3/7/2019 11:45am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2019 11:48am
Falcon wrote:
There are a couple things you do NOT do if you have no interest in or are about to pull out of a sport: -Offer an...

Suzuki knows they will only pay out a tiny, tiny fraction of that $8M contingency. Nobody rides Suzuki's at the contingency paying races and those few that do are nowhere near the front. RM Army is not a new name, it has been around for a while with different setups and management. It is nowhere near the level of Orange Brigade KTM, Amsoil Honda, Team Green Kawasaki, Rockstar Husky and Star Yamaha.

The truth is Suzuki pulled out of MXGP, MX2, and All Japan Nationals, as well as shuttering their off-road programs and running a skeleton amateur program. They are still involved in US SX/MX only because they found an existing self-sufficient team to use their equipment and adopt the "factory" label. That team, however, lost its title sponsor and Coy has gone back to work on the NASCAR side of the garage. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if JGR was still going a couple of years from now, and unless Suzuki finds someone like Yosh to take them back in-house that will be the end of Suzuki's participation worldwide.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/7/2019 11:48am
Falcon wrote:

GrapeApe wrote:
Suzuki knows they will only pay out a tiny, tiny fraction of that $8M contingency. Nobody rides Suzuki's at the contingency paying races and those few...
Suzuki knows they will only pay out a tiny, tiny fraction of that $8M contingency. Nobody rides Suzuki's at the contingency paying races and those few that do are nowhere near the front. RM Army is not a new name, it has been around for a while with different setups and management. It is nowhere near the level of Orange Brigade KTM, Amsoil Honda, Team Green Kawasaki, Rockstar Husky and Star Yamaha.

The truth is Suzuki pulled out of MXGP, MX2, and All Japan Nationals, as well as shuttering their off-road programs and running a skeleton amateur program. They are still involved in US SX/MX only because they found an existing self-sufficient team to use their equipment and adopt the "factory" label. That team, however, lost its title sponsor and Coy has gone back to work on the NASCAR side of the garage. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if JGR was still going a couple of years from now, and unless Suzuki finds someone like Yosh to take them back in-house that will be the end of Suzuki's participation worldwide.
If JGR goes away, what happens then? Does Suzuki pull out of pro racing completely? Do they put their effort into HEP? Does someone new step up? Does Suzuki come back with their own factory effort? I really hope JGR doesn't go anywhere.
mauidex
3/7/2019 11:52am
Jgr races to make money. It is a business. If it can’t at least pay for itself it will close the doors. Count on it. What is ashame is that the actual Suzuki corporation seems to not be willing to pay to keep a “factory” team in the USA sx/mx market.
3/7/2019 11:58am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

They’ve supported Pastrana post racing. Cole Martinez is currently racing a Suzuki and Martin Castello was on a 250 on the west coast. They obviously took...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
TP I feel can't be put in the discussion, just like RC. Is Martinez getting help from Suzuki or just getting help from a shop for...
Is Martinez getting help from Suzuki or just getting help from a shop for bikes?
Castelo was getting help from the amateur team for the first few west coast rounds and that was it.

Outside of JGR and HEP there aren't more than 2 or 3 guys in the 450 class and 1 or 2 in the 250 class and I believe the reasoning for that is because of the lack of support for anyone other than JGR, HEP. If they had more support, I truly believe we'd see way more privateers riding them. Especially with the pricing on their bikes.

I want to see Suzuki back 100%. They have such a good package to start with and the best contingency at the amateur level. And I am so glad to see them back on the amateur level and looking like they will continue to grow their team. It's good for everyone.

Edit: Sorry if I jumped around or anything. Scatter brain at work right now and a whole lot in my mind on this subject lol
I'm not saying they have nearly as much support as other mfg's. Just pointing out that they are out there supporting people. JT$ is another example. Not a current racer, but he has more influence than a guy just trying to make the mains. People can scoff at the $8 mil in contingency that won't get paid out, but if you want good contingency, it's there for the taking. Don't know how anybody can talk shit about that. This is another example of a business not meeting people's unnecessary expectations, because they don't want to or are not in a position to do so. If Suzuki wanted ti go all in and saw it as a good business move, I'm sure they would. It's not like they are trying to put out a revolutionary machine. Maybe I'm just able to accept their current status in the market.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/7/2019 12:05pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
TP I feel can't be put in the discussion, just like RC. Is Martinez getting help from Suzuki or just getting help from a shop for...

I'm not saying they have nearly as much support as other mfg's. Just pointing out that they are out there supporting people. JT$ is another example...
I'm not saying they have nearly as much support as other mfg's. Just pointing out that they are out there supporting people. JT$ is another example. Not a current racer, but he has more influence than a guy just trying to make the mains. People can scoff at the $8 mil in contingency that won't get paid out, but if you want good contingency, it's there for the taking. Don't know how anybody can talk shit about that. This is another example of a business not meeting people's unnecessary expectations, because they don't want to or are not in a position to do so. If Suzuki wanted ti go all in and saw it as a good business move, I'm sure they would. It's not like they are trying to put out a revolutionary machine. Maybe I'm just able to accept their current status in the market.
I hope I'm not coming across as talking shit, because I'm not. I love the 17 RMZ450 and can't wait to ride it more. There is no beating Suzuki's contingency either. For my class Yamaha and many others pay $75 a win at most rounds, while Suzuki pays $150. Yamaha and the other pay $100 a win for my dad's class and Suzuki pays $150. That adds up and was one big reason my dad made the switch to Suzuki. He ended up liking the bikes more than he ever thought he would and six years later, he is still riding them.

Post a reply to: JGR 2020

The Latest