JA21 Neck Brace Ad

TXDirt
3/7/2017 5:52pm
TXDirt wrote:
I respectfully disagree with you. The vendor in this exact thread can't say one way or the other if the neck brace helped or hurt anything...
I respectfully disagree with you. The vendor in this exact thread can't say one way or the other if the neck brace helped or hurt anything in the exact same horrific accident they used in their ad campaign.

Would you agree with an ad campaign that showed a police officer getting shot and surviving to peddle a specific bullet proof vest maker?

Perhaps you are fine with that video being used to peddle a product but I can promise you the vast majority of people would have a problem with it. Why? Because it's tasteless.

I could give you numerous examples similar to the above. Sure the video of the Anderson getting landed on makes a great advert to sell neck braces. But should it be used in that way? I say no. And I believe those with knowledge of mass marketing would agree with me.

But I'm happy to be wrong.
As someone with an extensive knowledge of mass marketing I would 100% agree with an ad campaign that showed a police officer getting shot and surviving...
As someone with an extensive knowledge of mass marketing I would 100% agree with an ad campaign that showed a police officer getting shot and surviving because of a specific bullet proof vest.

The police and bullet proof vests are outside of my realm of work but I'd venture to say that these ads already exist.

With your knowledge of mass marketing please show me examples where real and tragic videos were used in an ad campaign to peddle products. I'm not saying they don't exist. But it's rare and these usually get pulled for being tasteless.

If I'm wrong then I will admit it. But please prove that this is acceptable in the larger media marketing world.

I searched for any examples and came up empty. Found lots of tasteless marketing campaigns, but could find nothing where real video of a very significant accident was used in an ad campaign to push a product.
PRM31
3/7/2017 5:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2017 6:02pm
They limit the motion and compression. Whether or not it helped in a specific crash is hard to say. What's the fuss all about. I broke my collarbone when the base of the helmet impacted my collarbone. A brace would have spread the load out and possibly helped.

I don't get the notion that this ad, or others like it are tasteless. What they are showing is reality. That is exactly why we buy gear! Using the logic, or lack thereof, of some here we shouldn't wear a helmet, boots or anything else.
TXDirt
3/7/2017 5:58pm
Granted its not a "real" accident the message is the same... in a gnarly crash, didn't die, Subaru. https://youtu.be/S9gYJVP1wTk I give props to Atlas for running...
Granted its not a "real" accident the message is the same... in a gnarly crash, didn't die, Subaru.

https://youtu.be/S9gYJVP1wTk

I give props to Atlas for running the ad, you have to be sure as shit about your product to run an advertisement with a real crash in it to show the value of your product. You don't see if often because I'm sure a lot of lawyers at agencies are screaming that leaves them open to potential law suits if their client is using the product and still gets injured.
TXDirt wrote:
I respectfully disagree with you. The vendor in this exact thread can't say one way or the other if the neck brace helped or hurt anything...
I respectfully disagree with you. The vendor in this exact thread can't say one way or the other if the neck brace helped or hurt anything in the exact same horrific accident they used in their ad campaign.

Would you agree with an ad campaign that showed a police officer getting shot and surviving to peddle a specific bullet proof vest maker?

Perhaps you are fine with that video being used to peddle a product but I can promise you the vast majority of people would have a problem with it. Why? Because it's tasteless.

I could give you numerous examples similar to the above. Sure the video of the Anderson getting landed on makes a great advert to sell neck braces. But should it be used in that way? I say no. And I believe those with knowledge of mass marketing would agree with me.

hvaughn88 wrote:
If I was a police officer and a bullet proof vest saved my life, then yes, I would 100% be in support of using video of...
If I was a police officer and a bullet proof vest saved my life, then yes, I would 100% be in support of using video of it for a product ad. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Sure I'd be fine with it. But is it tasteless to use a real video of a police officer being shot to peddle a product?

Would you be okay with an ad for a hospital showing the real resuscitation of a car crash victim on the street, rushed to a hospital, and doctor saves patient?

That happens every day. But you sure as hell won't see a graphic ad like that.
JBecker 72
3/7/2017 6:00pm
TXDirt wrote:

JBecker 72 wrote:
There are tons of videos used to sell body armor using actual shooting footage and ballistic data to back up the manufacturers claims. One of the...
There are tons of videos used to sell body armor using actual shooting footage and ballistic data to back up the manufacturers claims. One of the originators of the product would shoot himself with a 44 mag to peddle his wares.

There is also a metric fuck ton of shooting videos used as training aids for LE/Mil. And a lot of them show fatalities and "what not to do".

So, yeah, many are perfectly fine using real world situations as evidence to improve a product, sell a product, or assist in training.
TXDirt wrote:
Yes, I have seen the videos of owner getting shot with his vest on in an ad campaign. Go show me an ad campaign of a...
Yes, I have seen the videos of owner getting shot with his vest on in an ad campaign.

Go show me an ad campaign of a vest company that uses real video of a police officer taking a bullet in the line of Fire.

I looked and could not find any. Again, I'm happy to be wrong on this.
I haven't seen an "in the wild" shooting video that a vest manufacturer used. It's usually a setup scenario. But training companies use a lot of graphic videos to reinforce tactics. The video of officer Kyle Dinkheller's murder is a widely used training video. And it's tough to watch and hear.

The Shop

moscrop940
3/7/2017 6:02pm
I don't remember anyone getting all up in arms when Zach Bell hit the deck over that triple and 6D never shied away when people suggested Zach's ability to walk away was due to their technologies....nothing hooked up to his helmet to prove it; yet everyone went out and bought those helmets because they saw their own evidence.

This isn't a slight on 6D in any way, shape, or form....I am just simply stating neck braces seem to get some tampon strings bound up much more then any other protection on the market...for what reason I have no idea
TXDirt
3/7/2017 6:07pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
There are tons of videos used to sell body armor using actual shooting footage and ballistic data to back up the manufacturers claims. One of the...
There are tons of videos used to sell body armor using actual shooting footage and ballistic data to back up the manufacturers claims. One of the originators of the product would shoot himself with a 44 mag to peddle his wares.

There is also a metric fuck ton of shooting videos used as training aids for LE/Mil. And a lot of them show fatalities and "what not to do".

So, yeah, many are perfectly fine using real world situations as evidence to improve a product, sell a product, or assist in training.
TXDirt wrote:
Yes, I have seen the videos of owner getting shot with his vest on in an ad campaign. Go show me an ad campaign of a...
Yes, I have seen the videos of owner getting shot with his vest on in an ad campaign.

Go show me an ad campaign of a vest company that uses real video of a police officer taking a bullet in the line of Fire.

JBecker 72 wrote:
I haven't seen an "in the wild" shooting video that a vest manufacturer used. It's usually a setup scenario. But training companies use a lot of...
I haven't seen an "in the wild" shooting video that a vest manufacturer used. It's usually a setup scenario. But training companies use a lot of graphic videos to reinforce tactics. The video of officer Kyle Dinkheller's murder is a widely used training video. And it's tough to watch and hear.
An in the wild shooting video is not used to peddle products. That's my point. Yes I know the video you speak of and it's sad to watch. Any video of an officer getting shot is not something you will ever see in an advert to peddle a product.

So why is it any different in this case? Regardless of if you believe in the neck brace or not. Which I do support fully.

To see a top rider get his head landed on in an advert to peddle a safety product is tasteless. Fine to show a picture of Anderson and whatever and give a caption. But the actual video of a guy getting landed on in an advert to sell a product is a bit over the top.

That's all I'm saying.

And I support neck braces 100% and would never get on a bike without one.
TXDirt
3/7/2017 6:09pm
moscrop940 wrote:
I don't remember anyone getting all up in arms when Zach Bell hit the deck over that triple and 6D never shied away when people suggested...
I don't remember anyone getting all up in arms when Zach Bell hit the deck over that triple and 6D never shied away when people suggested Zach's ability to walk away was due to their technologies....nothing hooked up to his helmet to prove it; yet everyone went out and bought those helmets because they saw their own evidence.

This isn't a slight on 6D in any way, shape, or form....I am just simply stating neck braces seem to get some tampon strings bound up much more then any other protection on the market...for what reason I have no idea
Did 6D use a video of this crash in an advert? If they did then that would have been tasteless. Bell suffered a concussion which is a significant blow to the brain.
hvaughn88
3/7/2017 6:11pm
TXDirt wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
If I was a police officer and a bullet proof vest saved my life, then yes, I would 100% be in support of using video of...
If I was a police officer and a bullet proof vest saved my life, then yes, I would 100% be in support of using video of it for a product ad. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
TXDirt wrote:
I'm not disagreeing with you. Sure I'd be fine with it. But is it tasteless to use a real video of a police officer being shot...
I'm not disagreeing with you. Sure I'd be fine with it. But is it tasteless to use a real video of a police officer being shot to peddle a product?

Would you be okay with an ad for a hospital showing the real resuscitation of a car crash victim on the street, rushed to a hospital, and doctor saves patient?

Once again, if it were me, then yes I would be fine with it. I'm not sure what your agenda is here, but it seems like you are really trying to convince people to be offended. What's the hang-up here?
TXDirt
3/7/2017 6:13pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
I'm not disagreeing with you. Sure I'd be fine with it. But is it tasteless to use a real video of a police officer being shot...

hvaughn88 wrote:
Once again, if it were me, then yes I would be fine with it. I'm not sure what your agenda is here, but it seems like...
Once again, if it were me, then yes I would be fine with it. I'm not sure what your agenda is here, but it seems like you are really trying to convince people to be offended. What's the hang-up here?
No hang ups. Just a discussion. If you are offended then I'll be happy to bow out of this thread.
Crush
3/7/2017 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2017 6:15pm
Monte122 wrote:
Nothing wrong with the ad, JA is fine... move on...
rancor19 wrote:
Here's where it get's touchy... What if he wasn't? They wouldn't be bragging about that, would they? Any claims they're trying to make here are dubious...
Here's where it get's touchy...

What if he wasn't?

They wouldn't be bragging about that, would they?

Any claims they're trying to make here are dubious anyway...
But he was fine. So why don't we just discuss what happened instead of theoreticals?

Bit silly to be upset about what DIDN'T happen isn't it?
hvaughn88
3/7/2017 6:17pm
TXDirt wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
Once again, if it were me, then yes I would be fine with it. I'm not sure what your agenda is here, but it seems like...
TXDirt wrote:
No hang ups. Just a discussion. If you are offended then I'll be happy to bow out of this thread.
Blink
TXDirt
3/7/2017 6:18pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Blink
Whistling
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
3/7/2017 6:18pm
Do the people who are offended by this ad cry and try to sue the track if they see a bad crash live while they are there? This sport is rough sometimes but it's the reality of it.
TXDirt
3/7/2017 6:22pm
seth505 wrote:
Do the people who are offended by this ad cry and try to sue the track if they see a bad crash live while they are...
Do the people who are offended by this ad cry and try to sue the track if they see a bad crash live while they are there? This sport is rough sometimes but it's the reality of it.
No they don't sue. They don't cry either.
hvaughn88
3/7/2017 6:23pm
TXDirt wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Blink
TXDirt wrote:
Whistling

Crush
3/7/2017 6:24pm
I feel like there's a lot of Hillary voters here.
JBecker 72
3/7/2017 6:28pm
TXDirt wrote:

JBecker 72 wrote:
I haven't seen an "in the wild" shooting video that a vest manufacturer used. It's usually a setup scenario. But training companies use a lot of...
TXDirt wrote:
An in the wild shooting video is not used to peddle products. That's my point. Yes I know the video you speak of and it's sad...
An in the wild shooting video is not used to peddle products. That's my point. Yes I know the video you speak of and it's sad to watch. Any video of an officer getting shot is not something you will ever see in an advert to peddle a product.

So why is it any different in this case? Regardless of if you believe in the neck brace or not. Which I do support fully.

To see a top rider get his head landed on in an advert to peddle a safety product is tasteless. Fine to show a picture of Anderson and whatever and give a caption. But the actual video of a guy getting landed on in an advert to sell a product is a bit over the top.

That's all I'm saying.

Thing is, they don't need to. You can easily recreate a shooting in a controlled environment. Point Blank uses lots of proof as well as customer testimonials to sell their armor. It's a proven technology. It's clear to anyone investigating a situation whether the product worked or not.

This isn't the same type of situation.
TXDirt
3/7/2017 6:28pm
Crush wrote:
You might be wrong on that! We've gone from a distasteful advert, to if a neck brace is any good, to Hillary voters! lol
TXDirt
3/7/2017 6:33pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
An in the wild shooting video is not used to peddle products. That's my point. Yes I know the video you speak of and it's sad...

That's all I'm saying.

JBecker 72 wrote:
Thing is, they don't need to. You can easily recreate a shooting in a controlled environment. Point Blank uses lots of proof as well as customer...
Thing is, they don't need to. You can easily recreate a shooting in a controlled environment. Point Blank uses lots of proof as well as customer testimonials to sell their armor. It's a proven technology. It's clear to anyone investigating a situation whether the product worked or not.

Why do you need to see a guy getting his head landed on? Did that change your opinion of the neck brace? Vendor just said it can't be proved or disproved if neck brace did anything at all.

Would a testimonial from Anderson been enough?

Again, not at all questioning the validity of the neck brace. Just questioning the graphic video used to peddle a product. It's rare to see. Why don't other companies use graphic accidents to peddle a product? Everyone apparently okay with it here. So why isn't it used more then? Tons of accident videos out there. What is the reason companies don't use these videos to sell something?

I'm not an expert in advertising. Just a laymen here. Please educate me.
TXDirt
3/7/2017 6:35pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Blink
TXDirt wrote:
Whistling
hvaughn88 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/07/180301/s1200_IMG_3017.jpg[/img]

Good pic! I know it's rare to try and have a civil discussion here at times. Respect your feedback. No name calling. We are all motorcycle enthusiasts so we are all on same team. No hate here.
Monte122
3/7/2017 6:45pm
TXDirt wrote:
It's quite apparent to me, that the only one offended by the ad, it's you.

I posted a bear earlier in this thread, now I'm here posting again!! what the hell is wrong with me...
akillerwombat
3/7/2017 6:46pm
Crush wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
You might be wrong on that! We've gone from a distasteful advert, to if a neck brace is any good, to Hillary voters! lol
I have to run back real quick from work (and try to beat LA traffic) to get out out and vote so I'll dig up some advertisements later but as someone who's sat in on a shit load of these marketing meetings I assure you that while taste does come into the discussion from time to time the major reason people don't choose this form of advertising is because it leaves companies open to potential lawsuits; hence why we tend to see simulated situations vs real world examples.

When you show a specific event in which a product (vs an experience or service IE. a majority of health services that are advertised) is shown to directly help a prevent an injury people who experience a negative result using the product will rapidly call the first lawyer they find in the phone book screaming, "but the ad said it worked – didn't work for me! – where's my money". I'm sure this is why Atlas chose to run the image without the text, "If it saved Anderson from this...".

At the end of the day you and I are just arguing opinions on what is and isn't tasteful. I see a rider walk away from what could have been a career or life ending injury and said rider approved the use of the ad for the company he gives credit to for potentially saving his neck and I'm OK with it. You're not. All good – just different opinions.
JBecker 72
3/7/2017 6:47pm
TXDirt wrote:

That's all I'm saying.

JBecker 72 wrote:
Thing is, they don't need to. You can easily recreate a shooting in a controlled environment. Point Blank uses lots of proof as well as customer...

TXDirt wrote:
Why do you need to see a guy getting his head landed on? Did that change your opinion of the neck brace? Vendor just said it...
Why do you need to see a guy getting his head landed on? Did that change your opinion of the neck brace? Vendor just said it can't be proved or disproved if neck brace did anything at all.

Again, not at all questioning the validity of the neck brace. Just questioning the graphic video used to peddle a product. It's rare to see. Why don't other companies use graphic accidents to peddle a product? Everyone apparently okay with it here. So why isn't it used more then? Tons of accident videos out there. What is the reason companies don't use these videos to sell something?

I'm not the one with the problem with the advert. And as was already pointed out, CTI had a pretty gnarly knee blow out image for years in their adverts.

TXDirt
3/7/2017 7:01pm
Crush wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
I have to run back real quick from work (and try to beat LA traffic) to get out out and vote so I'll dig up some...
I have to run back real quick from work (and try to beat LA traffic) to get out out and vote so I'll dig up some advertisements later but as someone who's sat in on a shit load of these marketing meetings I assure you that while taste does come into the discussion from time to time the major reason people don't choose this form of advertising is because it leaves companies open to potential lawsuits; hence why we tend to see simulated situations vs real world examples.

When you show a specific event in which a product (vs an experience or service IE. a majority of health services that are advertised) is shown to directly help a prevent an injury people who experience a negative result using the product will rapidly call the first lawyer they find in the phone book screaming, "but the ad said it worked – didn't work for me! – where's my money". I'm sure this is why Atlas chose to run the image without the text, "If it saved Anderson from this...".

At the end of the day you and I are just arguing opinions on what is and isn't tasteful. I see a rider walk away from what could have been a career or life ending injury and said rider approved the use of the ad for the company he gives credit to for potentially saving his neck and I'm OK with it. You're not. All good – just different opinions.
Appreciate you taking the time on detailing a thoughtful post. I'm not a marketing guru. Just a viewer of these adverts. Really wasnt even my intent to carry the water on this one. I've seen it for a few weeks and although thought it was tasteless didn't feel compelled enough to start a thread on it.

I definately do not debate the effectiveness of the neck brace. 100% behind it. Wish it was available in the 90s. I was one of the few who would wear a kidney belt! So this safety device would have also been in my gear bag.

We can agree to disagree on if it's tasteless or not but agree on its effectiveness for an ad campaign.

Too much hate on here from folks who disagree on something. Agree to disagree and go have a beer!

Cheers!
TXDirt
3/7/2017 7:02pm
JBecker 72 wrote:

TXDirt wrote:
Why do you need to see a guy getting his head landed on? Did that change your opinion of the neck brace? Vendor just said it...

JBecker 72 wrote:
I'm not the one with the problem with the advert. And as was already pointed out, CTI had a pretty gnarly knee blow out image for...
I'm not the one with the problem with the advert. And as was already pointed out, CTI had a pretty gnarly knee blow out image for years in their adverts.

How old is this? 30 years? Cheers! You win lol

Post a reply to: JA21 Neck Brace Ad

The Latest