J Marts Yamaha

Fresh
Fantasy
3312th
Edited Date/Time 5/30/2015 6:43pm
With the "electrical" problems before the first moto, there's a few threads in Race shop with people complaining about the same thing. Why does the Yamaha have problems with getting electrics wet when say, the Honda, doesn't? I hope Yamaha work on this because i am thinking of getting one!
|
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
5/23/2015 11:10pm
Just get an umbrella, then no worries.

Welcome newb.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
5/23/2015 11:34pm
I went to go look at the new yz250fx recently & was taking a good, up close look at all the Yamaha 250fs. One of the first things I noticed was all the wires exposed under the seat. There's a huge opening behind the shock/under the seat & there is a bunch of electronic stuff exposed to the elements. The new subframe creates a big gap area. I wonder if this is where they are having the issue? I'm trying to upload the picture, but it's not letting me. Check it out when you go look at them. P3 Carbon just built a carbon fiber cover for this area. I saw it on their IG not to long ago & reposted it.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
5/23/2015 11:39pm
Here we go. Not sure if this is the issue, but this is what stood out to me when I looked at the new yz250f's.

pete24
5/24/2015 6:01am
relax, you aint going to have any problems with your stocker, he isnt got anything on that bike that is on a stock bike, and langston didnt know it was a moisture problem but you seem to think he is a mechanic

The Shop

Fresh
Fantasy
3312th
5/24/2015 6:28am
pete24 wrote:
relax, you aint going to have any problems with your stocker, he isnt got anything on that bike that is on a stock bike, and langston...
relax, you aint going to have any problems with your stocker, he isnt got anything on that bike that is on a stock bike, and langston didnt know it was a moisture problem but you seem to think he is a mechanic
Jeremy said "thats what happens sometimes when you wash bikes"
Fresh
Fantasy
3312th
5/24/2015 6:31am
pete24 wrote:
relax, you aint going to have any problems with your stocker, he isnt got anything on that bike that is on a stock bike, and langston...
Grizz
5/24/2015 7:12am
Think about how many bikes have been sold and how many are having problems. I think you'll be fine to get one.
Insider347
5/24/2015 7:22am
pete24 wrote:
Relax dude. He said hes not sure what caused it but was sharing what he noticed on the yamaha. it's a discussion forum. Someone always has to be a dick. Don't post or add something positive.

"Relax" "assume it's the problem" examples.
mx216
5/24/2015 7:36am
GET electronics, end of story Wink
pete24
5/24/2015 9:53am
pete24 wrote:
Insider347 wrote:
Relax dude. He said hes not sure what caused it but was sharing what he noticed on the yamaha. it's a discussion forum. Someone always has...
Relax dude. He said hes not sure what caused it but was sharing what he noticed on the yamaha. it's a discussion forum. Someone always has to be a dick. Don't post or add something positive.

"Relax" "assume it's the problem" examples.
not trying to b a dick i was trying to say dont worry about buying one , race bikes are nighly modified and not like stock at all, although i have read the posted links, i think yamahas are great bikes and i meant to say that i would buy one, shit i have 6 yzs rite now
mark911
5/24/2015 10:03pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2015 10:08pm
I'm not sure if they tried push starting it at the first sign of trouble, but if they didn't they should have! I kept watching people take turns pumping the kick starter and I kept yelling at the TV to push the darn thing. More engine speed = more voltage = greater ability to overcome resistance or marginal shorts. Even after changing everything out it wouldn't start until they pushed it. Just saying it's the first, not last, thing to try.

Frankly, this is a issue that should have been caught 30 minutes before the race even started, not at the gate.
SLO1667
5/24/2015 10:08pm
I figured all EFI bikes could potentially have this issue at some time or another.
SLO1667
5/24/2015 10:09pm
mark911 wrote:
I'm not sure if they tried push starting it at the first sign of trouble, but if they didn't they should have! I kept watching people...
I'm not sure if they tried push starting it at the first sign of trouble, but if they didn't they should have! I kept watching people take turns pumping the kick starter and I kept yelling at the TV to push the darn thing. More engine speed = more voltage = greater ability to overcome resistance or marginal shorts. Even after changing everything out it wouldn't start until they pushed it. Just saying it's the first, not last, thing to try.

Frankly, this is a issue that should have been caught 30 minutes before the race even started, not at the gate.
What would a "marginal short" show on multimeter?
kiwifan
5/24/2015 10:34pm
They wash these bikes each week after every practice, race, etc...so not sure why Yamaha and KTM (Dungey said similiar thing to what Martin said on his KTM problems in race 1) blame it on washing the bike....
mark911
5/24/2015 10:49pm
mark911 wrote:
I'm not sure if they tried push starting it at the first sign of trouble, but if they didn't they should have! I kept watching people...

SLO1667 wrote:
What would a "marginal short" show on multimeter?
Intermittent would have been a better choice of words.
2thefront
5/24/2015 11:00pm
mark911 wrote:

Is there a rule against push starting the bikes to the line? It seemed as soon as the gate dropped they were thinking "ok, now we can push start it".
pilotx253
5/25/2015 5:01am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 5:02am
That Yamaha held up well considering a bone cold motor to full blown national speed without cold seizing! Was anyone else nervous about that?
5/25/2015 8:20am
pilotx253 wrote:
That Yamaha held up well considering a bone cold motor to full blown national speed without cold seizing! Was anyone else nervous about that?
No I'm sure they warmed the bike up before the moto, then it didn't start at the gate
Motodork
5/25/2015 8:32am
When the 98 Yamaha YZ400F came out a yamaha engineer told me they have a little more horse power cold so I would not start my bike until right before the race all the time and never had any problems with cold seizure.
500guy
5/25/2015 8:34am
The bike never started until the Mechanic reached in and cut the kill switch wire right when they went to bump start it and that makes me wonder was it legal to race with a disconnected kill switch ?
Cygnus
5/25/2015 8:35am
It would be rare for a cast piston to cold seize. That is a forged piston thing.
Motodork
5/25/2015 8:43am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 8:43am
Cygnus wrote:
It would be rare for a cast piston to cold seize. That is a forged piston thing.
It is also a 2 stroke thing with its much higher compression, firing every 2nd stroke and builds heat much faster. A 4 stroke doesn't build heat nearly as quick.
jtiger12
5/25/2015 9:04am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 9:05am
Cygnus wrote:
Motodork wrote:
It is also a 2 stroke thing with its much higher compression, firing every 2nd stroke and builds heat much faster. A 4 stroke doesn't build...
It is also a 2 stroke thing with its much higher compression, firing every 2nd stroke and builds heat much faster. A 4 stroke doesn't build heat nearly as quick.
And lack of lubrication. four corner seized
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/25/2015 9:21am
Motodork wrote:
When the 98 Yamaha YZ400F came out a yamaha engineer told me they have a little more horse power cold so I would not start my...
When the 98 Yamaha YZ400F came out a yamaha engineer told me they have a little more horse power cold so I would not start my bike until right before the race all the time and never had any problems with cold seizure.
That's one of the weirdest things I've ever heard, engines definitely make more power at operating temperatures. Example, a 450 four stroke can pick up around 2 horsepower from the first pull on a dyno to its' 5th or 6th pull.
Motodork
5/25/2015 10:01am
Motodork wrote:
When the 98 Yamaha YZ400F came out a yamaha engineer told me they have a little more horse power cold so I would not start my...
ML512 wrote:
That's one of the weirdest things I've ever heard, engines definitely make more power at operating temperatures. Example, a 450 four stroke can pick up around...
That's one of the weirdest things I've ever heard, engines definitely make more power at operating temperatures. Example, a 450 four stroke can pick up around 2 horsepower from the first pull on a dyno to its' 5th or 6th pull.
I don't think it is at max rev like on a dyno, it has more torque and horsepower building off the bottom and out of the hole. I still remember Dubach telling me that their isn't a dyno championship, a dyno doesn't replicate load or real riding conditions. That is why his pipes don't put out the highest numbers on the dyno but work very well on the track. And yes I know you are at max rev right before the gate drops but as soon as you start letting the clutch out there is load placed on the engine and even though you may think you are pinned you are not. We had the yamaha test electronics back then testing almost every function on the bike and even the fastest pros were only 100% pinned about 6% of the time, and they spent 80% of the time in the 70 to 90% of throttle.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/25/2015 10:07am
Motodork wrote:
I don't think it is at max rev like on a dyno, it has more torque and horsepower building off the bottom and out of the...
I don't think it is at max rev like on a dyno, it has more torque and horsepower building off the bottom and out of the hole. I still remember Dubach telling me that their isn't a dyno championship, a dyno doesn't replicate load or real riding conditions. That is why his pipes don't put out the highest numbers on the dyno but work very well on the track. And yes I know you are at max rev right before the gate drops but as soon as you start letting the clutch out there is load placed on the engine and even though you may think you are pinned you are not. We had the yamaha test electronics back then testing almost every function on the bike and even the fastest pros were only 100% pinned about 6% of the time, and they spent 80% of the time in the 70 to 90% of throttle.
I've ran some data acquisition systems before, I'm more than aware of actual throttle position on the track. My comment has more to do with heat freeing up the entire engine, such as oil, bearings, etc. Such as the reason why F1 engines are started with the engine's pre-heated, their tolerances are so tight the engines only run properly when at operating temperatures.
HenryA
5/25/2015 10:27am
I'll have to agree with ML512, there is so many factors that doesn't add up. The only reason a bike would be stronger when it's cold is if it was jetted wrong.
5/29/2015 3:14pm
I have a 15 yz250f with about 5-6 hours on it. It's all stock a part from a GET ignition and athena pipe. I'm having all sorts of electrical problems with it. You only have to do a search on vital "2015 yz250f problems"
to see that these problems are more common that you think.
One guy on here bought a 15 for his son that decided to stop in mid air causing the kid to crash and break his femur!!!!
When my bike runs properly, it's the best bike I've ever ridden. I just went and got all the goodies to go on it. Oversize front brake, braided lines, cycra plastic, renthal bars, sunline brake and clutch, works connection skid plate and radiator braces, and more, but it's all still in the boxes until this gremlin is sorted out. If this bike keeps dying on the track I'll be selling it and the parts I just bought and going to a ktm.
Its more than frustrating having your brand new bike stop on the track and then won't start. There is a problem there and Yamaha won't acknowledge it. I've emailed yamaha technical services and they say they have never heard of an issue!!!
This hurts to say cause I'm a Yamaha man, I love my bike when it runs properly but I'd be very hesitant to buy another yami until I knew they had fixed the problems.
Dtat720
5/29/2015 3:30pm
There are several 15 yamis local to me, both stock and modified and Johnny Moores is highly modified. Nobody has the problems described in that thread. Really strange that some have major gremlins and some are peachy.

Post a reply to: J Marts Yamaha

The Latest