I've Officialy Joined the 2 Stroke Nuts

CamP
1/1/2014 8:16pm
Hut wrote:
I should give that Lucas oil a try good USA company and supports racing large scale, our kind of people. Cool
It's good stuff. It's a light viscosity injector compatible oil so 32:1 it's about as high as you want to go on the ratio. I run it at 28:1 and it's still clean.
Hut
1/1/2014 8:25pm
CamP wrote:
It's good stuff. It's a light viscosity injector compatible oil so 32:1 it's about as high as you want to go on the ratio. I run...
It's good stuff. It's a light viscosity injector compatible oil so 32:1 it's about as high as you want to go on the ratio. I run it at 28:1 and it's still clean.
Right on I will look for it. Plus, that's 32+ gallons worth of premix for $26 what a deal
CamP
1/1/2014 8:46pm
Hut wrote:
Right on I will look for it. Plus, that's 32+ gallons worth of premix for $26 what a deal
I get it at O'reilly auto parts. They don't stock gallon jugs, but they can get it in one day.
1/1/2014 9:13pm
I've always heard any decent brand of chain saw oil will work fine. Those engines see similar abuse

The Shop

IWreckALot
1/2/2014 4:35am
Hut wrote:
CamP wrote:
I get it at O'reilly auto parts. They don't stock gallon jugs, but they can get it in one day.
Do you have any jetting mods or is your bike basically stock? Still trying to decide what I want to run. So far I'm thinking 50/50 100LL and 93 octane with 30:1 yamalube and see what happens. The bike I got is stock.

I'm so ready to ride!!! Springs come in on Saturday. Hoping they get in early enough that I'll have time to install them and take it out on Sunday. Got the handlebars/grips/sunline brake lever put on Tuesday. All I need now is the springs, suspension oil and gas.
slipdog
1/2/2014 5:22am
Hut wrote:
I remember guys that used to swear by Chevron brand 2 stroke oil in their race bikes. That has been a long time ago I wonder...
I remember guys that used to swear by Chevron brand 2 stroke oil in their race bikes. That has been a long time ago I wonder if that stuff is still worth a look? Huh
I don't know if I'd say "swear by it", but I ran it at 50:1 in my '95 CR125 for a full season and had no problems with it. One crank and all my pistons came out looking the same as any other oil I ever used.
CamP
1/2/2014 6:10am
Hut wrote:
CamP wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
Do you have any jetting mods or is your bike basically stock? Still trying to decide what I want to run. So far I'm thinking 50/50...
Do you have any jetting mods or is your bike basically stock? Still trying to decide what I want to run. So far I'm thinking 50/50 100LL and 93 octane with 30:1 yamalube and see what happens. The bike I got is stock.

I'm so ready to ride!!! Springs come in on Saturday. Hoping they get in early enough that I'll have time to install them and take it out on Sunday. Got the handlebars/grips/sunline brake lever put on Tuesday. All I need now is the springs, suspension oil and gas.
I'm running a modified YZ carb on a CR250, so my jetting baseline won't do you any good. If you run yamalube R, just use it at 32:1, per the manual. Yamalube R is a good full synthetic and 32:1 equals 4oz per gallon, so that is a no-brainer ratio. Your stock YZ will run great on a 100LL/pump gas mix, and the stock jetting is a good starting point.
1/2/2014 10:10pm
Lots of win and lose in this thread.

Whoever said Castor is shit is correct for this rider.
Castor IS the best 2 stroke oil.....for high rpm high heat sustained load apps.
And race applications with frequent teardowns.
Castor is dirty and was good way back.

Today a quality full synthetic approaches castor properties while being way cleaner.

However you won't seize with any oil at the right ratio.

What's right? That depends on you.
A shifter kart 125 runs 16:1. Far too oil rich for a my bike.

Ron lechien ran 24:1 but your grandma could easily get away with 100:1.

Oil migration time is what determines what is correct.

SX and woods doesn't need the oil of say a desert guy.
You dig?
1/2/2014 10:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2014 10:21pm
Oh and av gas is the best gas you're gonna get for the price.

It's not the best fuel for this application per se, but it's far better and far more consistent than any shit from the local station.

Including stations selling shit like 100 street that never sells and is probably stale.
JW381
1/2/2014 11:30pm
Does anyone else run H1R? I ran the Lucas Oil on my YZ, with pump premium, and that thing never had a single problem. I run mostly H1R or Yamalube on my CR right now at 32:1. The extra oil is just for the exhaust bridge problem that I've already had to fix once.
1/2/2014 11:58pm
There is no bad oil.

Even Dick Lechien would tell you seizures are caused from runaway heat or too little oil for your use.

Meaning JS7 on a 125 needs way more oil than grandpa putting around the back 40.
1/3/2014 1:33am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2014 1:36am
Well welcome aboard the two stroke taliban first off.

Secondly don't tell anyone your four choke blew. THAT DOES NOT HAPPENWoohoo

Oh yea and run Maxima Castor 927 or Klotz Benol with Avgas from your local airport. Your nose will appreciate that.
1/3/2014 2:04am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2014 2:12am
I've used Motul 800 for years since the importers gave me some help and found none better although I ran Belray H1R before that with good results also. I was told to run it at 50:1 for MX and 66:1 for SX and never had any problems and everything was always clean and with oily residue (and that's how I judge an oil) when torn down for an inspection and freshen up. Then I was a mechanic for another sponsored rider who was running it at 66:1 for MX and SX all year in his Husky CR125's the year before and never had a top end problem. (Shat gearboxes every other weekend apparently). We used it at 66:1 all year at his request in his Honda CR125's when I worked for him back in 2000-2001 and again never had a failure. Proof is in the pudding.

Another thing to think about is the more oil in your mixture, the less fuel and oxygen which equals less power. Just my 2 cents. I actually use and recommend it at 50:1 myself as I like that little bit of margin for error and durability. Used it for years at that ratio too.
1/3/2014 8:31am
I've used Motul 800 for years since the importers gave me some help and found none better although I ran Belray H1R before that with good...
I've used Motul 800 for years since the importers gave me some help and found none better although I ran Belray H1R before that with good results also. I was told to run it at 50:1 for MX and 66:1 for SX and never had any problems and everything was always clean and with oily residue (and that's how I judge an oil) when torn down for an inspection and freshen up. Then I was a mechanic for another sponsored rider who was running it at 66:1 for MX and SX all year in his Husky CR125's the year before and never had a top end problem. (Shat gearboxes every other weekend apparently). We used it at 66:1 all year at his request in his Honda CR125's when I worked for him back in 2000-2001 and again never had a failure. Proof is in the pudding.

Another thing to think about is the more oil in your mixture, the less fuel and oxygen which equals less power. Just my 2 cents. I actually use and recommend it at 50:1 myself as I like that little bit of margin for error and durability. Used it for years at that ratio too.
Dick Lechien would argue that as well.
At times more oil creates a better ring seal.

There is no correct ratio. Only what's right for you and what you're doing.

I'm a fan of castor.....I'm old school.....but it's not needed in a my bike except for say Stewart barcia or decotis on a 125.

Or shifter karts. It is the best oil. However a quality synthetic like Motul Klotz or even Maxima K2 is approaches the pure film strength of castor with much cleaner burning.

And for the 927 guys.....it's a syn/ castor blend.

For this guy....Yamalube R at 40:1 would be good enough for Chad Reed at Glen Helen.
Or whatever you can get a deal on. This isn't the 60s or 70s where 2 stroke oil was thinned out 30 wt motor oil.
CamP
1/3/2014 9:24am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2014 9:27am
You have to be careful with 927 and other Castor based oils. It will fall out of solution in light fuels, like C12 and 100LL, when the outside air temps are cold.

Personally, I prefer a light viscosity semi-synthetic oil because they mix easily in any fuel and they stay mixed no matter how cold it is outside.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
1/3/2014 10:48am
Amsoil Dominator 40:1

My bikes guts always look fresh when I pull them apart.
hbdesigns913
1/3/2014 11:57am
Spartacus wrote:
That smell, can't you smell that smell……. [img]http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/images/Castor%20927%20Liter%20Bottle.png[/img]
That smell, can't you smell that smell…….

fosheezie wrote:
ahhhhh! best smell at the track.. I love this stuff

mmmmmmmmmm..............
malachi177
1/3/2014 12:06pm
Hut wrote:
Way back when I always ran PJ1 Goldenfire Pro with Trick race gas. Nowadays for my CR250 I mix at 40:1 with Honda HP2 and Premium...
Way back when I always ran PJ1 Goldenfire Pro with Trick race gas. Nowadays for my CR250 I mix at 40:1 with Honda HP2 and Premium pump gas and it does fine. Most of my riding has been above 4500 feet though.

I have that exact measuring cup...lol
malachi177
1/3/2014 12:07pm
seth505 wrote:
Amsoil Dominator 40:1

My bikes guts always look fresh when I pull them apart.
Yep!!!
Arkmx
1/3/2014 12:19pm
CamP wrote:
At $26 a gallon, I swear by this. [img]https://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/luc/10115-semisyn2cycleoil-gallonnew.jpg[/img]
At $26 a gallon, I swear by this.

Can't go wrong with this oil. You will thank us later when you do a top end.

We run all our 2-smokes on it @ 32:1. Stock YZ 250 we run a 50/50 blend of 110 race fuel and 93 pump gas. Mod 125's get 100% 110 race fuel.

37.2 Hours and this is what our KX125 head looked like.... Notice the lack of carbon build up!
(Spark plug is loose and backed out, pits in the head are from a previous owners oops....)

1/3/2014 12:56pm
I know people that run super tech oil in race bikes.
For the masses it's good enough at the right ratio for their application.

Look at chain saws. Air cooled hot running and those things are WFO with a heavy load for way longer than a mx bike.
At 50:1 that scares me a bit but Damn things run forever.

I run 40 to 1 in my saws with whatever I can get cheap.

I'd bet that stihl oil above is as good as any.
1/3/2014 1:21pm
Hut wrote:
I remember guys that used to swear by Chevron brand 2 stroke oil in their race bikes. That has been a long time ago I wonder...
I remember guys that used to swear by Chevron brand 2 stroke oil in their race bikes. That has been a long time ago I wonder if that stuff is still worth a look? Huh
There are few companies that actually make 2 stroke oil.
Everyone just adds their own additive package.

I've ran cases of Havoline 2 stroke. Same as Chevy Texaco Pennzoil or quaker state.

I say for bikes run a moto brand and support the sport but think of this. Honda Yamaha etc buy the oil from a refiner....someone.
Radical
Fantasy
2321st
1/4/2014 1:36am
I run Yamalube R 32:1 and 91 pump gas in my YZ125 without issues. I just did the top end after 2 1/2 years and it was very clean.

I read an article a few years back that measured horsepower with different ratios and even with gas that had sat for several months. No significant difference whatsoever.

The reason I run 32:1 is because it's 4 oz per gallon. Since the bottle has a scale on the side in 4 oz increments I just add 8 oz of oil to a 2 gallon gas can and skip the hassle of dealing with the Ratio rite cup. No cleaning required.

The race gas sounds interesting. I think I'll give that a try.
IWreckALot
1/6/2014 12:34pm
I got the springs on and took her out for the first ride. I just went to a local woods place just to learn how to gauge the power band. The first lap I rode more timid than I have in quite some time. Then I went out a second lap and got more comfortable and by the end of the day, I was more comfortable than I was on the 450 in some areas. I was able to stand up in corners that I was never able to on the 450. These two strokes are easier to ride aggressively than they are passively. There's a huge world of difference. I felt like I was a lot faster in corners. Maybe I was trying to stay in the powerband through the corners or maybe it's a figment of my imagination. Oddly enough I only blew one corner that day. I'm going to have to get more comfortable jumping and going over whoops. I'm also going to have to learn to shift more often. The boots also need to go through the break in period. I think that made shifting a little more difficult. It definitely made me itch to go ride again sooner. Overall I'm pleased with my decision.
4stroke4DWIN
1/6/2014 1:25pm
I joined the 2 stroke crowd today! I traded my beloved 250f for an 05 CR125 woot woot!! Let me tell you what lead up to all this, I was at a race last month and got a rear flat the first moto, I was too lazy to change the tube, and my buddy said ride my kids 02 YZ125 backup bike your second moto. I was thinking "is he nuts" I havent been on a 125 since 94 yea you read that right lol. So I decide to race it and was able to hold off all but one guy on a 450. Fast forward to this weekend. Been riding the tiddler ever since.

Little back ground, I'm 40 and ride vet INT and open and let me tell you. You havent lived till you decide to run the 125cc open class at 40! 8 little shits on the line and I was old enough to be there dad! Anyway was 2nd out of the first turn and lead for about 10 seconds lol, ended up going 4-3 for 3rd overall. Anyways I knew somebody that was looking for a backup 250f and hit him up about his CR and the deal was done. So pumped! I got some vid I'll edit and post here in a few.
IWreckALot
2/24/2014 12:48pm
Just wanted to give you guys an update on the yz250. Had my first race this last weekend. It was a 5 mile cross country style track. Bike was awesome in the race. I put up a much faster pace than I normally used to be able to do. It's a lot easier to handle than the 450 was in the woods. My only complaint is that my hands go numb after about 30 minutes of riding. The bike rattles so much and my race was 75 minutes. What are you guys doing to tame the rattle effect?
IceMan446
2/24/2014 1:00pm
Yamalube R or Torco GPZ is what I normally run.

Best thing you can add to your gas is Yamalube Ring Free. Might have to have your shop order it or go to a Yamaha boat shop and they will have it.

I have seen the before and after first hand with the Ring Free and man it makes a huge difference.
kevkx125
2/24/2014 5:43pm
Iwreckalot what kind of bars are you using? Bar position? type of grips? Holding on to tight?

Post a reply to: I've Officialy Joined the 2 Stroke Nuts

The Latest