"It's just a dirt bike race" ???

426Hemi
Fantasy
2747th
3/19/2017 5:09am
I am guessing he has a kid on the way
3/19/2017 5:18am
We are ALL flawed human beings. Every one of us.
I'm reminded of this every day...trust me I know.

The pressure is on Tomac to not be flawed on the track still. One of the most interesting Supercross series we have seen.
JSmith
3/19/2017 5:43am
RandyS wrote:
That's an "I'm over it" statement.
Yep
philG
3/19/2017 6:01am
Racer111 wrote:
This is absolutely his last year after that statement! My guess is he retires, goes to work for Decoster and takes over when Decoster retires. Stamp...
This is absolutely his last year after that statement! My guess is he retires, goes to work for Decoster and takes over when Decoster retires. Stamp it!
olds cool wrote:
He's made enough money to not have to work another day in his life. How can he start a family and be on the road as...
He's made enough money to not have to work another day in his life. How can he start a family and be on the road as a team manager all the time? Might as well keep racing and makin the big bucks instead of taking a pay cut and be team manager.
This is bang on, why would you want to sign up for a job that is twice as much work as riding for a tenth of the money.

I heard that and thought something was not right , doesnt strike me as something a guy who is having good times would say,

The Shop

3/19/2017 6:31am
philG wrote:
This is bang on, why would you want to sign up for a job that is twice as much work as riding for a tenth of...
This is bang on, why would you want to sign up for a job that is twice as much work as riding for a tenth of the money.

I heard that and thought something was not right , doesnt strike me as something a guy who is having good times would say,
These guys are driven to achieve, I doubt it will be straight away or be about the money but I can imagine him being in a team manager type role in the future.
Flip109
3/19/2017 6:33am
I thought everything was ok until Marvin zapped him. He's never been one to risk it but damn. Then he said that. I hope he isnt to "over it". He's still got to go outside and race tomac.
Dtat720
3/19/2017 7:05am
At some point the Dungey fan club will have to accept that this season is a changing of the guard. It happens. Doesnt take anything away from Dungey or his accomplishments. Every champion passes the torch to the next generation. What we are watching is an outdated strategy that simply doesnt work anymore and a rider smart enough to not try and change it and risk serious injury. Dungey is very smart, one of the smartest to ever race. His attitude is let the chips fall where they may. He is doing his part and thats all he can do. Respect the man for it. But seriously, if you cant see whats happening...
ATKpilot99
3/19/2017 7:14am
Dtat720 wrote:
At some point the Dungey fan club will have to accept that this season is a changing of the guard. It happens. Doesnt take anything away...
At some point the Dungey fan club will have to accept that this season is a changing of the guard. It happens. Doesnt take anything away from Dungey or his accomplishments. Every champion passes the torch to the next generation. What we are watching is an outdated strategy that simply doesnt work anymore and a rider smart enough to not try and change it and risk serious injury. Dungey is very smart, one of the smartest to ever race. His attitude is let the chips fall where they may. He is doing his part and thats all he can do. Respect the man for it. But seriously, if you cant see whats happening...
True
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
3/19/2017 7:14am
51xc wrote:
well said. let's face it, he has won everything there is to win. he's a 3 time sx champ, what would a 4th title change in...
well said. let's face it, he has won everything there is to win. he's a 3 time sx champ, what would a 4th title change in his life? absolutely nothing.
a 4th championship would add a few zeros to the old bank balance though....
Starcrossed
3/19/2017 7:45am
philG wrote:
This is bang on, why would you want to sign up for a job that is twice as much work as riding for a tenth of...

These guys are driven to achieve, I doubt it will be straight away or be about the money but I can imagine him being in a...
These guys are driven to achieve, I doubt it will be straight away or be about the money but I can imagine him being in a team manager type role in the future.
Ryan has suggested, in recent interviews, that when he is done racing his goals are to be a family guy, and work with his personal sponsors to enhance the community in his native Minnesota. I have not heard, or read anything that would indicate that he has the slightest desire to continue in another role in pro motocross. Did I miss something?
3/19/2017 7:58am
Monte122 wrote:
It's just a dirt bike race, there are bigger things in life. I wonder what he really means by that. No big deal if I don't...
It's just a dirt bike race, there are bigger things in life.

I wonder what he really means by that.

No big deal if I don't win the Championship?
Perspective, and maturity. It literally is just a dirt bike race that in the grand scheme of things means jack shit. Nice to see him growing up.
Flatliner
3/19/2017 8:07am
philG wrote:

These guys are driven to achieve, I doubt it will be straight away or be about the money but I can imagine him being in a...
Ryan has suggested, in recent interviews, that when he is done racing his goals are to be a family guy, and work with his personal sponsors...
Ryan has suggested, in recent interviews, that when he is done racing his goals are to be a family guy, and work with his personal sponsors to enhance the community in his native Minnesota. I have not heard, or read anything that would indicate that he has the slightest desire to continue in another role in pro motocross. Did I miss something?
I don't think you build your dream home in Minnesota if the goal is to become a team manager. He's one of the few that's retiring with money for life.
dirtnapper
3/19/2017 8:32am
Gnarwhip throwing out digs at Dungey ( as per usual ) in this thread and keeps getting ignored.

Keep trying, loser Pinch
3/19/2017 8:32am
Just speculating, but maybe he does things besides riding dirtbikes? Could be wrong though.
mark_swart
3/19/2017 8:41am
tek14 wrote:
Sounds like RV2 when he was in his last season.. didn't want to risk it anymore but wanted to fill his deals. I don't see him...
Sounds like RV2 when he was in his last season.. didn't want to risk it anymore but wanted to fill his deals.
I don't see him race 2018 and many would do same in his position.
That's what I see too. The thrill and the fun are gone, now it's just more danger and more pressure. Dungey is a sane, rational human being. I'm sure the risk to reward question eventually gets to him.
There's something else they have in common...the Baker program. Maybe it delivers great for the first few years, then just wears guys down? RC, RV and now RD? Hard to say that's a coincidence.
Drtbykr
3/19/2017 9:00am
I love Dungey, and he has a ton of fans. Be a great friend or neighbour.

I know it is completely not in his repertoire, but I'd love to see him line up at the next race on a 350 with F'it for a butt patch.

No trying to read between the lines and all the guessing about his mindset and future.

Loud and clear.
Moto810
3/19/2017 9:22am
At a certain point in life most people grow up. They figure out it is better to back it down just a bit rather than to live on the edge. It sounds like Dungey is at that point as Reed is as well. Nothing wrong with knowing when not to push it. He has little to gain and much to loose now!

Most of us Vet riders have also learned this fact.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
3/19/2017 9:39am
langhammx wrote:
There's a plenty of "dumb" in this thread....
Yup!
3/19/2017 9:41am
Coming into the season, Dungey was 3rd fastest at best. Roczen and Tomac were faster for sure, and if you listened to Decoster, Musquin was also faster - Decoster said so at the beginning of the season. This year was always going to be a challenge for Dungey. It turns out Tomac tightened up in a few of the first races and took a little bit to find his consistent race pace, but he found it. Roczen was obviously flying before he got injured.

Last night was nothing more than things landing about where they should be: tomac fastest, Musquin faster than Dungey and Dungey getting 3rd. If Roczen wasn't injured, Dungey would have finished 4th.

There is nothing 'wrong' with Dungey, there is nothing 'off' or 'not right.' For him to run the pace of Tomac he needs to be 100% comfortable, loose and at one with the bike. Last night he was riding a bit tight, and only a little bit, but that is the difference between 1st and 3rd.

He was a bit frustrated in his interview, you drama queens read way way too much into it, and so goes the story of the Vital Forums.

A lot of you underestimated Tomac from the very beginning of the season, and after a few of the races, it looked like you might have been correct. But he made his adjustments, got himself and his bike where he needed to be and Voila! He's where a few of us knew he would be. There's nothing wrong with Dungey, but he will have to push probably harder than he wants to run the pace of Tomac - simple as that.

You guys can't praise him for being 'mr. consistency' and the guy who always is there at the end and never takes any chances, but then act like something is wrong when he doesn't finish 1st all the time. ?? Doesn't make sense.
Flatliner
3/19/2017 9:49am
I also think that the tracks this year, and the amount they've been breaking down play a role. If it was more traditional hard pack type sx I see things being a bit different.

Ryan has some of the best throttle control in the business.

Also, he's won a lot. Tomac hasn't ( in comparison). Different mindsets.
BMSOBx2
3/19/2017 9:51am
I believe it was a very telling statement. It took 4 pages but the Baker burn out theory is the most plausible IMO. RV had that same look before he hung them up. It wasn't fun anymore.
Old&New
3/19/2017 9:59am
Can't a guy retire with respect anymore in this sport? The JS hate is justified but not Dungey.
Chugger
3/19/2017 10:08am
Old&New wrote:
Can't a guy retire with respect anymore in this sport? The JS hate is justified but not Dungey.
it ain't
Hut
3/19/2017 10:11am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2017 10:13am
Old&New wrote:
asinine
Neither one of these guys deserves any hate from moto fans.
KC435
3/19/2017 10:16am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2017 10:29am
Interestingly enough, he says: "I was behind Ryan Villopoto for four years and I don't like it and it bothered me and it upset me alot to the point where I hated the sport. I didn't like it at all. I wanted to be done." Umm.......maybe a little burned out by now. I think most people would be.
tickleme20
3/19/2017 11:06am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2017 11:07am
My $.02.

I'm sure all of us have had times in life where we have worked very, very hard to accomplish something - be it in school, our jobs, hobbies, or romantically. And, despite the enormous amounts of effort we've put in, it hasn't worked out.

So, you lose the contract, screw up your project, your relationship fails, whathaveyou. It's common to get tunnel vision, to the point where we can focus on NOTHING ELSE but fixing the problem. We get obsessive. Failure (even if it's in a relative sense, like getting 3rd place instead of 1st) can really mess with our minds if we let it. Especially if we are, like Dungey, high achievers.

Tunnel vision can be very destructive, and often undermines the very problem we are trying to fix. So we try to mentally pull away after a certain point. We swing to the other extreme of nit-picking. We make sweeping, big picture statements: "Oh, there are bigger things in life than xyz" or "There are other fish in the sea" or "In the grand scheme of the universe, this means nothing."

Do we really *mean* that we don't care, that we've given up completely, when we say things like this? Not at all. Rather, it's a way to try and cope with the fact that things don't always go our way. We still care. We just don't want to go utterly bonkers and lose complete perspective.

Dungey cares, very much. But he's obviously quite pressured and stressed. I think "It’s just a dirt bike race" is his way of trying to keep himself from losing perspective and *really* going off the rails.

CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
3/19/2017 11:07am
Tomac will have a bad night soon. It's comming more than likely will be worse than a 3-5th place finish.
MX-LIFE.
3/19/2017 11:31am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2017 11:31am
Old&New wrote:
Why hate on JS7 and not Dungey?? Makes no damn sense your perspective! How about not hating on either of them..Wtf .. JS7 has had a great career yeah some not so good decisions maybe but 2nd all time no damn asterisks to that! Has raced the best and beat the best! Dungey kinda the same (lol) but they both deserve to retire with a very welcomed​ thank you!
3/19/2017 11:35am
TeamGreen wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/19/182306/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

I usually eat popcorn during something entertaining. Seeing 'fans' bash pro riders certainly deosn't fall in that category.

Post a reply to: "It's just a dirt bike race" ???

The Latest