It's dead in Daytona

slowvet
3/4/2010 2:22pm
I didnt know the Hypermotard had a dry clutch.
yota
3/4/2010 2:28pm
yes its the old school 1100 air cooled V twin. torque numbers are close to the hp numbers.
XBUTCHX
3/4/2010 2:36pm
GuppyGahoo wrote:
Good racing doesn't bring fans into a series, good promotion does. Look at flat track, hands down the best bike racing on the planet, it should...
Good racing doesn't bring fans into a series, good promotion does. Look at flat track, hands down the best bike racing on the planet, it should be massively popular, but it's not. Supercross races could be 5 laps long, the results 90% of the time would be the same, and it's wildly popular in comparison to any other form of motorcycle racing.

What RR and FT are missing is a show. At the two SX's I went to this year my $40 ticket was satisfied by the end of opening ceremonies. At the one RR I've been to I'm 90% sure there was no such thing, and at a FT race its some old guy interviewing 2-3 riders. Woah! How exicting!!!

Your average Tom, Dick, and Harry don't care about racing, I think it's more about entertainment value. $75 to walk around Road America and see 1000ft of racetrack is a gigantic rip off. $40 to see an amazing opening ceremony, guys flying through the air and sometimes crashing hard is an excellent value. This is the same reason that SX will always be more popular than MX, you can't see everything at an MX event. Even people in the know are often left wondering who won. At the two MX races I went to last summer I can guarantee you I didn't know who finished 4th in both classes until after I got home. Sure the ticket prices are similar, but SX is a way better deal, even if it isn't as core. RR and MX events, to me, are mainly party events, that's their biggest draw.

Gunna cut myself off here, I need to go to work.
A lot of truth in that post right there!Cool
flarider
3/4/2010 2:41pm
There's a few more bikes today, but still nothing like years past.
Restaurants still are no waiting

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/4/2010 3:55pm
Let's leave politics in Non-Moto.
CStone
3/4/2010 4:39pm
I was there last night. Bad idea to wear shorts that night haha! I'll be there tonight as well watching the racing going on. My first...
I was there last night. Bad idea to wear shorts that night haha!
I'll be there tonight as well watching the racing going on.
My first bike week so I can't compare from past years. But I hear bikes going all the time at the hotel.
C'mon Matt.....every night is a good night for shorts haha Suck it up!!
3/4/2010 5:05pm
neysbo wrote:
#7 is Sam Halbert on a 2010 YZ450. Henry Wiles got 2nd on KX450.

Sounds like the track was good with more lines than last year.
The pics I saw of Sammy from last nite he was on an older Yamaha. Exhaust was still the front dump. Heard Wiles was on an older KX 450 also ('08?). Did you hear the bit about Mike Kidd threatening to issue a $1000 fine to any of the teams that dared to bash the FT event? LaughingLaughing
XBUTCHX
3/4/2010 5:13pm
neysbo wrote:

The pics I saw of Sammy from last nite he was on an older Yamaha. Exhaust was still the front dump. Heard Wiles was on an...
The pics I saw of Sammy from last nite he was on an older Yamaha. Exhaust was still the front dump. Heard Wiles was on an older KX 450 also ('08?). Did you hear the bit about Mike Kidd threatening to issue a $1000 fine to any of the teams that dared to bash the FT event? LaughingLaughing
Do you have a link?
3/4/2010 6:29pm
Rupert X wrote:
There's no bikes because all the dealerships dissolved. There's no cars because they were all recalled. There's no riders because Erin Bates is interviewing them all...

There's no bikes because all the dealerships dissolved.

There's no cars because they were all recalled.

There's no riders because Erin Bates is interviewing them all.

Everybody else is busy with American Idol.

* I've been hectic - cataloging my extensive collection of crystal giraffe figurines

and learning some steamy salsa dance moves. And MX Reflex.
Smile ........well said. sort of sums up things pretty well...

GO REED.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/4/2010 6:30pm
The pics I saw of Sammy from last nite he was on an older Yamaha. Exhaust was still the front dump. Heard Wiles was on an...
You're not starting this stuff again, are you?
drmarkr
3/4/2010 6:52pm
Trickle down economics?
Hardly....try trickle up. That would be the Obama way. We all give it to the gov to spend.
neysbo
3/4/2010 6:59pm
neysbo wrote:

Yeah, I knew Wiles was going between the 08 and the 10 , I guess he likes the carb version better. As for Halbert, I thought he had the 10 dialed in but maybe made a late switch to an older one.

Would not surprise me a bit if Mike Kidd did that. He wants to run it like he is a dictator.

We think things in MX are messed up but flattrack is way worse.

Still sucks the live timing is not working. Have some good friends down there racing and wrenching so hoping they at least make the main tonight as last nigh was rough.
CamP
3/4/2010 7:46pm
I did Daytona bike week last year and hated just about every minute of it. From the total lack of support that the DMG shows for the race teams to the throngs of lame Harley posers with their dumb uniforms. The only thing I enjoyed about Daytona was the flat track races. Everything else about Daytona totally sucked and I couldn't get out of that town fast enough.
3/4/2010 7:50pm
GuyB wrote:
You're not starting this stuff again, are you?
Don't hate the messenger. Scare tactics.LaughingLaughingSad
flarider
3/5/2010 4:55am
Race was fun last night
Track seemed to stay together better, so riders were more aggressive.
Lot more crashes and restarts

The #7 who won the first night spun a 360 and toppled over in the first turn and he got up and put on an amazing charge. By my estimation, he was about 5 seconds back, almost a full straight, back from the back of the pack. He chased down the pack and started slicing through riders and got up to about 8th or 9th by about lap 20 (25 lap race) when it looked like the engine let go. Thought maybe he tossed a chain by the way he was messing with it and rocking the bike, but when he kicked it didn't look like anything was there.
Awesome ride, too bad it ended that way

There were a few more bikes yesterday, but still nothing like in the past. Many restaurants still appeared like no waiting, at was where we went
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
3/5/2010 7:18am
GuppyGahoo wrote:
Good racing doesn't bring fans into a series, good promotion does. Look at flat track, hands down the best bike racing on the planet, it should...
Good racing doesn't bring fans into a series, good promotion does. Look at flat track, hands down the best bike racing on the planet, it should be massively popular, but it's not. Supercross races could be 5 laps long, the results 90% of the time would be the same, and it's wildly popular in comparison to any other form of motorcycle racing.

What RR and FT are missing is a show. At the two SX's I went to this year my $40 ticket was satisfied by the end of opening ceremonies. At the one RR I've been to I'm 90% sure there was no such thing, and at a FT race its some old guy interviewing 2-3 riders. Woah! How exicting!!!

Your average Tom, Dick, and Harry don't care about racing, I think it's more about entertainment value. $75 to walk around Road America and see 1000ft of racetrack is a gigantic rip off. $40 to see an amazing opening ceremony, guys flying through the air and sometimes crashing hard is an excellent value. This is the same reason that SX will always be more popular than MX, you can't see everything at an MX event. Even people in the know are often left wondering who won. At the two MX races I went to last summer I can guarantee you I didn't know who finished 4th in both classes until after I got home. Sure the ticket prices are similar, but SX is a way better deal, even if it isn't as core. RR and MX events, to me, are mainly party events, that's their biggest draw.

Gunna cut myself off here, I need to go to work.
Very good post!
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
3/5/2010 7:22am
motogrady wrote:
I know a lot of the Roadrace fans are pissed at the DMG thing. It's like the hardcore fans of pavement don't want anything to do...

I know a lot of the Roadrace fans are pissed at the DMG thing.
It's like the hardcore fans of pavement don't want anything to do with the new regime.

what''s the number of 'hardcore fans of pavement' in the US, bigger than subscribers on Vital? LOL. Talking about MX being a tiny sport, for sure RR in the US is a minuscule crowd.

IPromoters don't make a living with hardcore fans, it's the general public they are missing on, the people who want entertainment.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
3/5/2010 7:23am
Yes Woody, because we rolled on gold in 06-07-08, LOL!
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
3/5/2010 7:26am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:10pm
flarider wrote:
Race was fun last night Track seemed to stay together better, so riders were more aggressive. Lot more crashes and restarts The #7 who won the...
Race was fun last night

The #7 who won the first night spun a 360 and toppled over in the first turn and he got up and put on an amazing charge. By my estimation, he was about 5 seconds back, almost a full straight, back from the back of the pack. He chased down the pack and started slicing through riders and got up to about 8th or 9th by about lap 20 (25 lap race) when it looked like the engine let go. Thought maybe he tossed a chain by the way he was messing with it and rocking the bike, but when he kicked it didn't look like anything was there.

There were a few more bikes yesterday, but still nothing like in the past. Many restaurants still appeared like no waiting, at was where we went
Dave, #7 is Sammy Halbert, got his single-digit this season after a few wins last season and winning the "virtual" Grand National title. Sammy's a fast a good kid. Like Nicky Hayden said " FYI slammin Sammy is a bad dude. And that tittle might not do him full justice."

and of course he's been AGV Dainese for a few years Smile

lumpy790
3/5/2010 7:36pm
flarider wrote:
Race was fun last night Track seemed to stay together better, so riders were more aggressive. Lot more crashes and restarts The #7 who won the...
Race was fun last night

Shenzi wrote:
Dave, #7 is Sammy Halbert, got his single-digit this season after a few wins last season and winning the "virtual" Grand National title. Sammy's a fast...
Dave, #7 is Sammy Halbert, got his single-digit this season after a few wins last season and winning the "virtual" Grand National title. Sammy's a fast a good kid. Like Nicky Hayden said " FYI slammin Sammy is a bad dude. And that tittle might not do him full justice."

and of course he's been AGV Dainese for a few years Smile

Sammy twists the throtel like no one else.......must be an ex mxer.

Thanks Dave for bringing the seating for the 2nd night.

The place was packed with riders today.......
Matt Wozney
3/5/2010 9:54pm
One thing I noticed with the Daytona 200 tonight:
MUCH better crowd than Thursday's SuperSport and SuperBike races (you can seriously count people in the stands by pointing and counting them in your head).

A HUGE amount of people outside the facility today. (Bikers checking out the manufacturer's setups and all that jazz.) More bikes today than Thursday. I figured those people would come check out the racing but maybe about 2-3,500 people were in th stands for the 200? With the fans plus the people in the infield and team's guests there, it was more than the flat track for sure.

I just can't wait for SX to start up. Staring at that beautiful track the past 2 days is enough torture on my eyes. I want to see some racing!

In case you haven't noticed, I have been crazy posting updates on Twitter from each day at Daytona. I'll be doing the same for the SX but most of you will be watching it on Speed live. I'll be there for practice and qualifying posting anything interesting I encounter in the pits and see in practice/qualifying. Twitter link: http://www.twitter.com/MXPTV

Post a reply to: It's dead in Daytona

The Latest