It's dead in Daytona

flarider
3/4/2010 4:15am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 10:33am
Daytona is dead
I got there about 3pm yesterday for flat track racing and barely saw a bike between I95 and the speedway
Went to Panera Bread across from the speedway at 5:30pm and there was no line and the seating was half empty

Sad
|
robkinuk
3/4/2010 4:20am
What's happened to all the Harley riders? Maybe they were all just Investment Bankers afterall, who have fallen upon hard times!
Kimbo
3/4/2010 4:33am
After 11am everyone's in the BAR's.Check there.
3/4/2010 4:39am
I live about 100 miles north of Panama City Beach and hear bikes cruising down HWY231 daily maybe they are not headed to Daytona?
flarider
3/4/2010 4:41am
Kimbo wrote:
Bullshit.
I have been to Daytona enough times to know there are always bikes all over the roads.
You typically see more bikes than cars, not this year.
I drove by the midway/sales area and the bike demos at the Speedway...empty

The Shop

3D
3/4/2010 5:00am
Kimbo wrote:
flarider wrote:
Bullshit. I have been to Daytona enough times to know there are always bikes all over the roads. You typically see more bikes than cars, not...
Bullshit.
I have been to Daytona enough times to know there are always bikes all over the roads.
You typically see more bikes than cars, not this year.
I drove by the midway/sales area and the bike demos at the Speedway...empty
Last year at this time it was packed. I had a hell of a time getting to PAX on Thursday because of the traffic at that huge Harley dealership on Rt.1 up the road from Daytona. I can't believe it's that dead there. It's pretty cold there isn't it? Not that it ever mattered. I've seen Harley goons riding in downpours.
flarider
3/4/2010 5:02am
When I arrived, it was partly sunny, about 50oF and windy (felt colder), but not freezing
3D
3/4/2010 5:21am
flarider wrote:
When I arrived, it was partly sunny, about 50oF and windy (felt colder), but not freezing
That is pretty chilly but if the people were there, they would be out.
Highsider
3/4/2010 5:37am
I can see it better while sitting in my warm house.

The entire south is too cool this winter for me to spend travel money. I have skipped at least two or three usual riding trips to Oklahoma and Texas, because it is not warm enough there to justify.

I spent that money for A1 and was rewarded with sleeping on the warm beaches two afternoons!
Cygnus
3/4/2010 5:52am
I am heading over there today after lunch. Maybe I will do a demo ride or two. Oh it is been colder than Colorado. Who you trying to fool Dave. I have been freezing since I got here.
Rupert X
3/4/2010 5:52am

There's no bikes because all the dealerships dissolved.

There's no cars because they were all recalled.

There's no riders because Erin Bates is interviewing them all.

Everybody else is busy with American Idol.

* I've been hectic - cataloging my extensive collection of crystal giraffe figurines

and learning some steamy salsa dance moves. And MX Reflex.
flarider
3/4/2010 5:54am
Cygnus wrote:
I am heading over there today after lunch. Maybe I will do a demo ride or two. Oh it is been colder than Colorado. Who you...
I am heading over there today after lunch. Maybe I will do a demo ride or two. Oh it is been colder than Colorado. Who you trying to fool Dave. I have been freezing since I got here.
I'll be at flat track tonight again
Cygnus
3/4/2010 5:58am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2010 5:59am
flarider wrote:
See ya there. Who won? How is the new track?
Big Lenny
3/4/2010 6:00am
Rupert X wrote:
There's no bikes because all the dealerships dissolved. There's no cars because they were all recalled. There's no riders because Erin Bates is interviewing them all...

* I've been hectic - cataloging my extensive collection of crystal giraffe figurines

Laughing
doublezero
3/4/2010 6:03am
Rupert X wrote:
There's no bikes because all the dealerships dissolved. There's no cars because they were all recalled. There's no riders because Erin Bates is interviewing them all...

lol
yota
3/4/2010 6:05am
I've lived in orlando for a long time and have seen bike week evolve into a harley poser fest over the last 10 years. back in the 70's/early 80's it was a good mix of motorcyclist types and was pretty fun, now its a waste. One of my friends dragged me over there the other day and as we walked around the speedway I was looking at the posers in black. 98% of them were wearing their uniform, black harley tees with leather chaps and engineer boots and there were no wear marks on the chaps and boots, most looked like new. They buy these 25K pcs of chit and pull them out twice a year, bike week and biketoberfest. many do not even ride to daytona, they trailer there and parade around town. a few you can tell are real riders and I respect that even though I cannot stand the harley thing.

why is it that the harley people get away with straight pipes that blow your ears out but if you have a loud sport bike or car the cops are all over you?
flarider
3/4/2010 6:08am
flarider wrote:
Cygnus wrote:
Don't remember the guy's name, I think it was his first win (#7)
He ran away
Track is like roadbed....very gravely and rocky
It chunks out.
Stand seating is less than at old stadium
It was better at old stadium

Many riders don't like it
Rupert X
3/4/2010 6:13am
yota wrote:
I've lived in orlando for a long time and have seen bike week evolve into a harley poser fest over the last 10 years. back in...
I've lived in orlando for a long time and have seen bike week evolve into a harley poser fest over the last 10 years. back in the 70's/early 80's it was a good mix of motorcyclist types and was pretty fun, now its a waste. One of my friends dragged me over there the other day and as we walked around the speedway I was looking at the posers in black. 98% of them were wearing their uniform, black harley tees with leather chaps and engineer boots and there were no wear marks on the chaps and boots, most looked like new. They buy these 25K pcs of chit and pull them out twice a year, bike week and biketoberfest. many do not even ride to daytona, they trailer there and parade around town. a few you can tell are real riders and I respect that even though I cannot stand the harley thing.

why is it that the harley people get away with straight pipes that blow your ears out but if you have a loud sport bike or car the cops are all over you?

I'm not there this year, but have gone probably five or six times in the last decade.

Shtuff I've noticed about Daytona/ Harley fest.

It doesn't seem like many of these folks actually go to the races, they like to go these

many odd roadside tattoo, bike vendor/ beer/boobs/ music/bbq things that happen along

the country roads outside Daytona. The road-bike races at the Superspeedway always

seemed sort of dead, very little spectators presence. There is one (1) hot chick for

every five thousand (5000) bikers at Daytona. True. Der Sausage Haus.
Cygnus
3/4/2010 6:14am
flarider wrote:
Cygnus wrote:
flarider wrote:
Don't remember the guy's name, I think it was his first win (#7) He ran away Track is like roadbed....very gravely and rocky It chunks out...
Don't remember the guy's name, I think it was his first win (#7)
He ran away
Track is like roadbed....very gravely and rocky
It chunks out.
Stand seating is less than at old stadium
It was better at old stadium

Many riders don't like it
I had a feeling this was gonna happen.
motogrady
3/4/2010 6:16am

I know a lot of the Roadrace fans are pissed at the DMG thing.
It's like the hardcore fans of pavement don't want anything to do with the new regime.

PD441
3/4/2010 6:22am
I think I'll still go.
TeamGreen
3/4/2010 6:39am
So..who's fault is it?

I know SOMEONE's gonna have to take the fall!

I blame Pourcel!

(Too easy, the kid's French.)

I'm jus' sayin'...
neysbo
3/4/2010 6:40am
#7 is Sam Halbert on a 2010 YZ450. Henry Wiles got 2nd on KX450.

Sounds like the track was good with more lines than last year.
slowvet
3/4/2010 6:42am
motogrady wrote:
I know a lot of the Roadrace fans are pissed at the DMG thing. It's like the hardcore fans of pavement don't want anything to do...

I know a lot of the Roadrace fans are pissed at the DMG thing.
It's like the hardcore fans of pavement don't want anything to do with the new regime.

Word. DMG single handedly killed road racing in america.
TeamGreen
3/4/2010 6:51am
I rode my bike to trailer week!
Now, that's jus' FUNNY!
Highsider
3/4/2010 7:11am
You mean "W"?

Oh, wait, this should be in Non-Moto and you know that!

Vote all Senators and Congressmen OUT, would be a first step, eh?
Matt Wozney
3/4/2010 7:11am
I was there last night. Bad idea to wear shorts that night haha!
I'll be there tonight as well watching the racing going on.
My first bike week so I can't compare from past years. But I hear bikes going all the time at the hotel.
RNagy052
3/4/2010 7:13am
Yea, we got here in 12 short months, forget about the 8 years prior. Now get your ass back to Non-Moto. Smile
zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
3/4/2010 7:15am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:09pm
damn that obama!

That does suck though, daytona bike week always sounded like it would be cool to go to, bummer that its not doing well this year

Post a reply to: It's dead in Daytona

The Latest