It's dead in Daytona

Related:
Create New Tag

3/4/2010 4:15 AM

Daytona is dead
I got there about 3pm yesterday for flat track racing and barely saw a bike between I95 and the speedway
Went to Panera Bread across from the speedway at 5:30pm and there was no line and the seating was half empty

Sad

|





This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR



[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

3/4/2010 4:20 AM

What's happened to all the Harley riders? Maybe they were all just Investment Bankers afterall, who have fallen upon hard times!

|

www.robkinsey.com
http://robkinseyart.wordpress.com
Accountant's only look at the bottom line, whereas an Artist see's it all!

3/4/2010 4:33 AM

After 11am everyone's in the BAR's.Check there.

|

3/4/2010 4:39 AM

I live about 100 miles north of Panama City Beach and hear bikes cruising down HWY231 daily maybe they are not headed to Daytona?

|

3/4/2010 4:41 AM

Kimbo wrote:

After 11am everyone's in the BAR's.Check there.

Bullshit.
I have been to Daytona enough times to know there are always bikes all over the roads.
You typically see more bikes than cars, not this year.
I drove by the midway/sales area and the bike demos at the Speedway...empty

|





This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR



[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

3/4/2010 4:58 AM

Trickle down economics?

|

3/4/2010 5:00 AM

Kimbo wrote:

After 11am everyone's in the BAR's.Check there.

flarider wrote:

Bullshit.
I have been to Daytona enough times to know there are always bikes all over the roads.
You typically see more bikes than cars, not this year.
I drove by the midway/sales area and the bike demos at the Speedway...empty

Last year at this time it was packed. I had a hell of a time getting to PAX on Thursday because of the traffic at that huge Harley dealership on Rt.1 up the road from Daytona. I can't believe it's that dead there. It's pretty cold there isn't it? Not that it ever mattered. I've seen Harley goons riding in downpours.

|

3/4/2010 5:02 AM

When I arrived, it was partly sunny, about 50oF and windy (felt colder), but not freezing

|





This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR



[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

3/4/2010 5:21 AM

flarider wrote:

When I arrived, it was partly sunny, about 50oF and windy (felt colder), but not freezing

That is pretty chilly but if the people were there, they would be out.

|

3/4/2010 5:37 AM

I can see it better while sitting in my warm house.

The entire south is too cool this winter for me to spend travel money. I have skipped at least two or three usual riding trips to Oklahoma and Texas, because it is not warm enough there to justify.

I spent that money for A1 and was rewarded with sleeping on the warm beaches two afternoons!

|

I don't trust any "Joined Date" later than 2012

3/4/2010 5:52 AM

I am heading over there today after lunch. Maybe I will do a demo ride or two. Oh it is been colder than Colorado. Who you trying to fool Dave. I have been freezing since I got here.

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.



3/4/2010 5:52 AM



There's no bikes because all the dealerships dissolved.

There's no cars because they were all recalled.

There's no riders because Erin Bates is interviewing them all.

Everybody else is busy with American Idol.

* I've been hectic - cataloging my extensive collection of crystal giraffe figurines

and learning some steamy salsa dance moves. And MX Reflex.
|

3/4/2010 5:54 AM

Cygnus wrote:

I am heading over there today after lunch. Maybe I will do a demo ride or two. Oh it is been colder than Colorado. Who you trying to fool Dave. I have been freezing since I got here.

I'll be at flat track tonight again

|





This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR



[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

3/4/2010 5:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2010 5:59 AM

flarider wrote:

I'll be at flat track tonight again

See ya there. Who won? How is the new track?

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.



3/4/2010 6:00 AM

Rupert X wrote:

There's no bikes because all the dealerships dissolved.

There's no cars because they were all recalled.

There's no riders because Erin Bates is interviewing them all.

Everybody else is busy with American Idol.

* I've been hectic - cataloging my extensive collection of crystal giraffe figurines

and learning some steamy salsa dance moves. And MX Reflex.

laughing
|

Some of these posts are like reading closed caption on the cartoon channel...



Hello?..Vital?...

3/4/2010 6:03 AM

Rupert X wrote:

There's no bikes because all the dealerships dissolved.

There's no cars because they were all recalled.

There's no riders because Erin Bates is interviewing them all.

Everybody else is busy with American Idol.

* I've been hectic - cataloging my extensive collection of crystal giraffe figurines

and learning some steamy salsa dance moves. And MX Reflex.

lol

|

3/4/2010 6:05 AM

I've lived in orlando for a long time and have seen bike week evolve into a harley poser fest over the last 10 years. back in the 70's/early 80's it was a good mix of motorcyclist types and was pretty fun, now its a waste. One of my friends dragged me over there the other day and as we walked around the speedway I was looking at the posers in black. 98% of them were wearing their uniform, black harley tees with leather chaps and engineer boots and there were no wear marks on the chaps and boots, most looked like new. They buy these 25K pcs of chit and pull them out twice a year, bike week and biketoberfest. many do not even ride to daytona, they trailer there and parade around town. a few you can tell are real riders and I respect that even though I cannot stand the harley thing.

why is it that the harley people get away with straight pipes that blow your ears out but if you have a loud sport bike or car the cops are all over you?

|

12 KTM 250SX
09 CR500AF
08 Ducati Hypermotard
03 CR125
95 CR250
83 Husqvarna 125XC

3/4/2010 6:08 AM

Cygnus wrote:

I am heading over there today after lunch. Maybe I will do a demo ride or two. Oh it is been colder than Colorado. Who you trying to fool Dave. I have been freezing since I got here.

flarider wrote:

I'll be at flat track tonight again

Cygnus wrote:

See ya there. Who won? How is the new track?

Don't remember the guy's name, I think it was his first win (#7)
He ran away
Track is like roadbed....very gravely and rocky
It chunks out.
Stand seating is less than at old stadium
It was better at old stadium

Many riders don't like it

|





This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR



[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

3/4/2010 6:13 AM

yota wrote:

I've lived in orlando for a long time and have seen bike week evolve into a harley poser fest over the last 10 years. back in the 70's/early 80's it was a good mix of motorcyclist types and was pretty fun, now its a waste. One of my friends dragged me over there the other day and as we walked around the speedway I was looking at the posers in black. 98% of them were wearing their uniform, black harley tees with leather chaps and engineer boots and there were no wear marks on the chaps and boots, most looked like new. They buy these 25K pcs of chit and pull them out twice a year, bike week and biketoberfest. many do not even ride to daytona, they trailer there and parade around town. a few you can tell are real riders and I respect that even though I cannot stand the harley thing.

why is it that the harley people get away with straight pipes that blow your ears out but if you have a loud sport bike or car the cops are all over you?



I'm not there this year, but have gone probably five or six times in the last decade.

Shtuff I've noticed about Daytona/ Harley fest.

It doesn't seem like many of these folks actually go to the races, they like to go these

many odd roadside tattoo, bike vendor/ beer/boobs/ music/bbq things that happen along

the country roads outside Daytona. The road-bike races at the Superspeedway always

seemed sort of dead, very little spectators presence. There is one (1) hot chick for

every five thousand (5000) bikers at Daytona. True. Der Sausage Haus.
|

3/4/2010 6:14 AM

flarider wrote:

I'll be at flat track tonight again

Cygnus wrote:

See ya there. Who won? How is the new track?

flarider wrote:

Don't remember the guy's name, I think it was his first win (#7)
He ran away
Track is like roadbed....very gravely and rocky
It chunks out.
Stand seating is less than at old stadium
It was better at old stadium

Many riders don't like it

I had a feeling this was gonna happen.

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.



3/4/2010 6:16 AM


I know a lot of the Roadrace fans are pissed at the DMG thing.
It's like the hardcore fans of pavement don't want anything to do with the new regime.

|

3/4/2010 6:22 AM

I think I'll still go.

|

The PD441 of Motodrive

3/4/2010 6:39 AM

So..who's fault is it?

I know SOMEONE's gonna have to take the fall!

I blame Pourcel!

(Too easy, the kid's French.)

I'm jus' sayin'...

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

3/4/2010 6:40 AM

#7 is Sam Halbert on a 2010 YZ450. Henry Wiles got 2nd on KX450.

Sounds like the track was good with more lines than last year.

|

3/4/2010 6:42 AM

I rode my bike to trailer week!

|

I remain unperturbed by the joy and the madness I encounter everywhere I turn. [LINK TO IMAGE]

3/4/2010 6:42 AM

motogrady wrote:
I know a lot of the Roadrace fans are pissed at the DMG thing.
It's like the hardcore fans of pavement don't want anything to do with the new regime.

Word. DMG single handedly killed road racing in america.

|

3/4/2010 6:51 AM

JimmyJam725 wrote:

I rode my bike to trailer week!

Now, that's jus' FUNNY!

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

3/4/2010 7:11 AM

You mean "W"?

Oh, wait, this should be in Non-Moto and you know that!

Vote all Senators and Congressmen OUT, would be a first step, eh?

|

I don't trust any "Joined Date" later than 2012

3/4/2010 7:11 AM

I was there last night. Bad idea to wear shorts that night haha!
I'll be there tonight as well watching the racing going on.
My first bike week so I can't compare from past years. But I hear bikes going all the time at the hotel.

|

From dirt bikes to dirty strikes! Bowl on PBA tour @wozbowls. Oh...and I'm MXPTV.

3/4/2010 7:13 AM

Yea, we got here in 12 short months, forget about the 8 years prior. Now get your ass back to Non-Moto. smile

|