Its a Really Cool Era For Our Sport

Related:
Create New Tag

5/24/2021 7:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/24/2021 8:13 AM

The last half of the 1970s and the first half of the 1980s was the greatest era...period.

The younger people here just didn't live it so they don't know.

RC is another discussion. He is far and away the greatest ever. No one even close.

Hannah gets honorable mention in a distant 2nd. Then all the rest. RV2, RD5, CR, JS, Stanton, Ward, Bailey, RJ, Oshow, JMB, Gary Jones, Tomac, etc.

|

5/24/2021 8:11 AM

For me “”Pinnacle” means 3 other kids on your street had dirt bikes, a dirtbike club in highschool, and lots of places to ride and race.

|

5/24/2021 8:33 AM

Zycki11 wrote:

You honestly believe they are the same?

One set of real whoops in Atlanta and everyone complained.

You don't get to the riding level of Tomac, Roczen, Barcia, Webb, Plessinger, Musquin, and co. by being scared.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

5/24/2021 9:05 AM

I grew up in the era of Mcgrath, RC, CR, JS, RV/RD, etc.

To be honest, many of the races/seasons over that time period were relatively boring to watch. Don't get me wrong....JS/CR/RC were usually fun to watch, but it was usually so predictable who was going to win a given race. I can still to this day remember being hyped up to watch races on TV only to see RC pull a good start and then being extremely disappointed because we all knew that unless he crashed, he was going to pull away from the field and win in a non-spectacular fashion.

Debating riders from era to era will always be a thing.

From a FANS perspective, we absolutely are currently in the greatest era. Multiple riders capable of winning a race on any given night, unpredictable championships, top tier racing in the 250 class, hours upon hours of weekly media content, LIVE practice/qualifying/main event races, rider VLOGs, etc, the list keeps going.

As a diehard fan of the sport, I have never felt as engaged and immersed in the sport as I have been the last ~4 years due to all of the things listed above.

I remember growing up as a kid, before internet, the only form of news was the local grocery market's magazine stand that carried a couple of the top dirt bike mags. I would get those when they came out but would have them read front to back within a couple days, then you had to wait several more weeks for the next one to come out. Occasionally you would be able to catch a race on TV, but MOST of the time you would miss them.

|

5/24/2021 9:13 AM

Carmichael was kindov boring. JS7 was the most entertaining rider I've ever seen.

|

5/24/2021 9:26 AM

I feel now is the least cool era... today is only about the marketing, not the racing or the actual people putting their lives on the line... last year they had 18 monster logos on a jersey, this year it is over 20.... there is a point in marketing where you overdo it, and it runs people away.... we are now at that point...

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord