Its a Really Cool Era For Our Sport

Related:
Create New Tag

5/21/2021 7:36 PM

Just finished up watching the last episode of Moto Spy, which reminded me of how cool an era of racing we are currently experiencing.

We may not have the absolute legendary riders on track to the level of the RC, Stew and CR days but we have a stack of top tier riders with a bundle of differing personalities and riding styles (Coop, Kenny, Tomac, Anderson, Barcia, Mookie, Plessinger, the Lawrence brothers etc) as well as a previously unseen level of access to them via their socials and series' like Moto Spy.

A quick reflection and reminder to not overlook or under appreciate the current era that we are witnessing, especially as many of these guys are getting into their twilight years. I believe we will reminisce on this in future years with so much diversity among the riders, both in their riding styles and persona, and our access to them.

|

5/21/2021 7:52 PM

Playing devils advocate a little here, but I’m going to say we are kinda in a bit of a vanilla era..
the Lawrence brothers are fun but the big bike class is kinda average in comparison to other eras.,
Everyone is “working super hard” and “trying my best”
Not a whole lot of interaction with the media outside of the podium interviews (which are very brief anyway)
Don’t get me wrong still love every second of the racing and still visit this forum daily to keep up to date and Bench Race.

|

5/21/2021 7:57 PM

Things will be boring without Eli's come through the pack, beast mode rides.

Already notice that during 2021 SX and most of last year's Nationals.

|

5/21/2021 8:20 PM

BS12 wrote:

Just finished up watching the last episode of Moto Spy, which reminded me of how cool an era of racing we are currently ...more

I think we now have multiple riders as fast and as talented as just the top 3 were back then. personally I like it better with a more level playing field than a few that Dominate!
I agree that this is a good era!

|

5/21/2021 8:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2021 8:23 PM

blockhead17 wrote:

Playing devils advocate a little here, but I’m going to say we are kinda in a bit of a vanilla era..
the Lawrence brothers ...more

Cant blame them for being vanilla though if you say or do one questionable thing these days you get attacked and flamed for weeks!

|

5/21/2021 8:36 PM

Tarz483 wrote:

I think we now have multiple riders as fast and as talented as just the top 3 were back then. personally I like it better with ...more

This, I feel like we have Rc chad stew type riders there’s just friggin 6-8 of them.

|

5/21/2021 8:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2021 8:52 PM

BS12 wrote:

Just finished up watching the last episode of Moto Spy, which reminded me of how cool an era of racing we are currently ...more

Tarz483 wrote:

I think we now have multiple riders as fast and as talented as just the top 3 were back then. personally I like it better with ...more

js451 wrote:

This, I feel like we have Rc chad stew type riders there’s just friggin 6-8 of them.

That's how I feel, It seems like most have found the formula and there is little separation. With the exception of Eli but even he would usually make a lot of late passes like the last 5 minutes of a 30+2 race so is that speed/Technique or fitness?
I've wondered for a few years now what it would look like if the outdoor races were 20 or 25 minutes plus 2 laps I kind of feel like technique and Racecraft should come into play more than just fitness, Yes fitness is a part of it a big part but I think it plays too big of a role at 30+2 the fittest guy just has to wait until the others are exhausted and drop the hammer the last 5 minutes like ELI and before him DUNGEY.
Photo

|

5/21/2021 9:02 PM

It's terrific.

As great as the RV/Dunge era was after RC/Stew/Reed etc peaked, I think we have benefitted a lot from this era's elite riders able to manage their careers to stay in the game. I wonder sometimes how the RV/Dunge era would have been different if Trey and Hepler had stayed healthy and Lawrence/Stroupe/Izzi had managed better. Quite a few guys got peeled off then.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

5/21/2021 9:03 PM

Agreed, we are very lucky right now. Dirtbikes are friggin cool and stuff. Can't wait to watch AC and the Lawrence brothers next weekend

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

5/21/2021 9:16 PM

Are you kidding. We have the highest level of riders now. Back in most of our day late 70s 80s and carmichael eras, we had a hand full of riders that could compete for wins. Damn the current crop of 450 guys are flipping awesome. What is the number of 450 guys that have won championships ie 250 450 SX and or MX? I think its 15 if not mistaken. Sx qualifiers top 10-12 positions within a second or second and a half. Hey i get it the past always seems better i was younger faster better looking the tracks were gnarlier no prep we road on concrete most of the time. However to say these guys are not what we believe they should be or as fast as stewi and rc. BS the pace has changed evolved you might say , it always does. I have been here this whole time and i can say without a doubt these guys right now are the fastest but only because the guys of the past pushed them here. RC and Stewart would tell you the same thing.

|

5/21/2021 9:52 PM

There is also so much accessible content now, it’s easier to be a fan. Growing up with only an antenna, I could only read magazines.

Now I have tv packages, can watch social media, I listen to podcasts while I drive...hell, if you don’t like the era - you can rewatch the old races very easily.

The era is good 😎

|

5/21/2021 11:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2021 11:39 PM

How many guys have a legit shot at the title this summer? A strong case can be made for Eli, Zach, Ken, Marv, Cooper, Adam, and Chase, with several more guys who can win races. It's nice not knowing that the title is really only between 1-2 guys, like with the Ryans and RC/Stew.

|

5/22/2021 12:00 AM

Sorry guys all valid points above that add to the conversation but I may have worded my post wrong.
I was more referring to the aura/status of those legends, which of course was generated by their utmost dominance and next level speed over the rest of the comp.

Essentially saying the current crop may not have that absolute superstar hype of "the big 3", (I guess retrospect is everything) but we still have a large handful of super elite riders, all with their own individual riding styles and personalities off of the bike. Really cool.

|

5/22/2021 8:00 AM

Been watching the sport since 1999, I agree the level has gone up in general but I still believe that the following riders would compete with ease currently. RC, RV, CR and JS.

tomac has the speed to beat all of them in fact the day he did his double shoulder on the Honda is probably the fastest I've seen anyone ride in America, since he entered the big bikes every title was his to lose given his amazing ability but he lacks mental edge.

Webb is next level mental and race craft, maybe he lacks a bit of speed like tomac but man he just gets it done.

I hope tomac change of scene will help him put his head in a better space because again next year he's the one to beat on pure speed, he always looked better on Honda compared to kawi we will see how he goes on the yammy.

|

5/22/2021 8:05 AM

DrinkMoreWater wrote:

Been watching the sport since 1999, I agree the level has gone up in general but I still believe that the following riders ...more

4 big bike. Titles on kawy. Great stats, zero big bike titles on honda.

|

5/22/2021 9:43 AM

The fact that nearly ten riders can win a race is truly unprecedented. That said, the big difference between now and “then” is we no longer have a top rider in the sport with a win-at-all-costs attitude. Top guys today are content with thirds or top fives, whereas guys like RJ, Hannah, Jeremy, RC, Stew, and Poto hated to lose more than they liked to win. That mentality is missing from this crop of racers.

|

5/22/2021 9:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2021 9:54 AM

I respectfully disagree with OP. “Our sport” IMO is made up of the moto moms and dads that weekend ride with their kids. If they don’t ride themselves they are taking their kids to and from tracks or places to ride. I think “our sport” is becoming unaffordable to the medium income family. I think it’s actually the worse it’s ever been.

If the OP is only considering the pros then sure. It’s unique in a sense that one rider is not dominating every weekend but that’s about it. I for one am tired of over powered 450s on arena cross tracks where nothing separates anyone. When we finally get a decent set of whoops to separate some skill.. they get dozed.

|

5/22/2021 11:18 AM

I'm excited for more sanctions and restrictions on dirt bikes. I think it will help the sport overall.

|

5/22/2021 11:32 AM

The 450 class is vanilla compared to the RC/Stew/CR days. Those guys HATED to lose and today riders are “ok” with it. Webb is mentally strong no doubt. He is also facing riders who have had ridiculous injuries, who mentally implode, and who just moved up.

Sorry, the three legends are just better, on paper, and mentally. Not to mention way more technical. The tracks they raced on would scare these boys.

|

5/22/2021 12:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2021 12:32 PM

Zycki11 wrote:

The 450 class is vanilla compared to the RC/Stew/CR days. Those guys HATED to lose and today riders are “ok” with it. Webb is ...more

Truth. No one would beat RC now either if he were still 20-25 years old.

Webb is mentally strong right now. Three years ago...no. RC always was. Put Hannah right there with RC from that aspect.

Riders don't care as much about 'just winning' the moto now.

|

5/23/2021 4:45 AM

Zycki11 wrote:

The 450 class is vanilla compared to the RC/Stew/CR days. Those guys HATED to lose and today riders are “ok” with it. Webb is ...more

kpiper wrote:

Webb is mentally strong right now. Three years ...more

Thx guys for some reality. The RC, CR & Stew days were the absolute pinnacle of the sport to date.

The current crop is outstanding, the parity is great and it is a cool era, but we’re not at that level of drive, competitiveness or rivalry yet.
Hell I hope we get there again though.

|

5/23/2021 8:05 AM

This "era" needs a villain, there is no dominant force to pull for or be against. Nor is there a rider that is capable of winning that most root against because of their tactics or personality.
Vanilla is a good term.

|

5/23/2021 6:37 PM

Zycki11 wrote:

kpiper wrote:

CPR wrote:

Thx guys for some reality. The RC, CR & Stew days were the absolute pinnacle of the sport to date.

The current crop is ...more

There was another thread recently with the same sentiment. I don't mind being "that guy", so here goes.

I'm not seeing it. Y'all talk about how badass the RC/Stew/CR days were, and, from an athletic standpoint, I can't see how those guys, especially Stew and Reed could've held a candle to these guys. Photo
For those of you who don't know, that's Ward, Bailey, Johnson, and Lechien, lining up for their second 45+2 moto on 500s with an un-prepped track, and with things like dust. They rode 30 minutes more during the day than the the above three.

Go watch this and come back and tell me how RC/CR/Stew were better athletes and it was the pinnacle of the sport.

|

5/23/2021 10:48 PM

Zycki11 wrote:

This is just silly.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

5/24/2021 12:04 AM

kpiper wrote:

CPR wrote:

just_gonna_send_it wrote:

There was another thread recently with the same sentiment. I don't mind being "that guy", so here goes.

I'm not seeing it. ...more

Yes I said “pinnacle of the sport”, but never mentioned ‘athletic’ ability, that’s a different argument.....

|

5/24/2021 1:49 AM

Every Era in Motocross / Supercross is Cool!

However, the 80's had more individual champions competing against each other every weekend - Hannah / Howerton / Glover / Bailey / O'Mara / Ward / Johnson / Hansen / Lechien / Barnett / Bell / Sun / Burgett / LaPorte / Smith.

Photo

|

www.saddlebackpark.com
http://www.tmphotoart.wordpress.com
http://www.racerspitstop.com
http://www.wheelspinracewear.com

Intstagram: @saddleback_park @carlsbadraceway @wheelspinracewear @timmarksphotography

5/24/2021 6:57 AM

CPR wrote:

just_gonna_send_it wrote:

I'm not seeing it. ...more

CPR wrote:

Yes I said “pinnacle of the sport”, but never mentioned ‘athletic’ ability, that’s a different argument.....

'tis true. We need a definition of "pinnacle of the sport".

|

5/24/2021 7:04 AM

BobPA wrote:

This is just silly.

What’s silly? Did I say something inaccurate?

|

5/24/2021 7:08 AM

Zycki11 wrote:

BobPA wrote:

This is just silly.

Zycki11 wrote:

Yeah, "The tracks they raced on would scare these boys"

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

5/24/2021 7:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/24/2021 7:21 AM

BobPA wrote:

This is just silly.

Zycki11 wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Yeah, "The tracks they raced on would scare these boys"

You honestly believe they are the same?

One set of real whoops in Atlanta and everyone complained.

|