It would be pretty awesome if an American rider set aside greed...

Bauer
Edited Date/Time 11/24/2021 2:39pm
...and went over to Europe in his prime to win the World Championship. I know it won't happen, but that's the only way we will see another American win an FIM title. It would take a guy coming into his prime and he would have to be willing to forego the temptation of racing SX in the states, which would no doubt mean making less money.

It is kind of crazy that the first, last and ONLY American 500 World Champion was Brad Lackey. It took him ten years to get it done, and he and Lori sacrificed plenty to make it happen, but it remains as elusive now as it was then. Fair play to Danny LaPorte, who won the 250 title his first year over there...but the 500 championship was then, and still is a whole other beast.

I remember all the 'merica yahoos in here thinking Villo was going to go there and romp...hahahaha! Going there at the tail end of a career is not gonna ever be enough to land that bad boy. We don't have an American driver racing F-1, no rider racing MotoGP and diddley-squat in MXGP. Where's all that USA pride? Who will step up? Sadly, no one.

Oh well, just thinking out loud. Carry on.
|
11/22/2021 9:59pm
Bauer wrote:
...and went over to Europe in his prime to win the World Championship. I know it won't happen, but that's the only way we will see...
...and went over to Europe in his prime to win the World Championship. I know it won't happen, but that's the only way we will see another American win an FIM title. It would take a guy coming into his prime and he would have to be willing to forego the temptation of racing SX in the states, which would no doubt mean making less money.

It is kind of crazy that the first, last and ONLY American 500 World Champion was Brad Lackey. It took him ten years to get it done, and he and Lori sacrificed plenty to make it happen, but it remains as elusive now as it was then. Fair play to Danny LaPorte, who won the 250 title his first year over there...but the 500 championship was then, and still is a whole other beast.

I remember all the 'merica yahoos in here thinking Villo was going to go there and romp...hahahaha! Going there at the tail end of a career is not gonna ever be enough to land that bad boy. We don't have an American driver racing F-1, no rider racing MotoGP and diddley-squat in MXGP. Where's all that USA pride? Who will step up? Sadly, no one.

RV won his second GP ever. He crashed and got injured. It happens.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
11/22/2021 10:33pm
You want an American hero to take a pay cut to go win something in Europe ?

Commie bastard. Wink
MO 23
11/22/2021 11:04pm
Sure it would be cool.

But if I had a limited window to make money, and could make more money in my home country, where the results are a better known proposition.
Zero chance I would do it.

And I love Europe, and have chosen to live there in the past.
So I would make my money in my home country and then do whatever I want when I retired rich
MelonFan123
11/22/2021 11:08pm
Greed?

Did it ever occur to you that today's racers that were born in the 90s and 00's didn't grow up wanting or caring about an FIM Championship. Their dreams are to win AMA SX and MX champiosnips.

The Shop

Motofinne
11/23/2021 12:01am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2021 8:51am
I can't see anyone from USA going over to GPs and winning. Mostly because the riders that could maybe challenge for the MXGP title are already contenders in US SX and make plenty of money because of it. There is no pull-factor to the GPs.

Same has happened in the other direction. Prado and Gajser will never do SX/US MX even though they could contend for both American titles because they make roughly the same over in Europe racing 20 rounds of MX all over the world.
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
11/23/2021 1:24am
No one in their right mind is going to take a pay cut and move to another continent risking their whole career right at their prime. It makes no logical sense. If you’re a good American rider it only makes sense to go at the start or end of your career
fanger
11/23/2021 1:27am
Which begs the question, why is there more money to be made in America than Europe?
CPR
11/23/2021 1:46am
It takes great sacrifices and a strong individual to go to the other side of the world and compete at the elite level.
Which is why every foreign rider who’s succeeded in the US should get more respect.
11/23/2021 2:11am
Supercross and MXGP should be shortened so that everybody can compete in both. 12 rounds for both. 4 SXs outside the US, 4 GPs in the US. MXdN to finish of the season.
cwel11
11/23/2021 3:15am
Greed? Pretty sick of hearing stuff like this. Like a pro rider owes it to you to make less money and potentially sacrifice their career in its prime. So somehow them wanting to make what they can, while they can is pure greed? Just shut up. Jesus, I’m a dinosaur at 41.
Alan Dove
11/23/2021 3:18am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2021 3:19am
Trying to secure your family's future (and that often means parents too who often invest so much) in a career that can literally end with one bad crash, and even in best case scenario is generally no longer than 10 years, is 'greed'? wut?
11/23/2021 3:47am
If we play ifs and buts then I honestly would believe RV would’ve took that title. All the heavy hitters that year crashed out by the way
ATKpilot99
11/23/2021 3:54am
Yeah I don't agree greed is the motivator but I would like to see a top American rider have a go at it .
Mx391
11/23/2021 4:11am
Be cool if a guy won the 250 title here, went to Europe won the mx2 title, came back to the states go after the 450 title
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
11/23/2021 4:32am
Bauer wrote:
...and went over to Europe in his prime to win the World Championship. I know it won't happen, but that's the only way we will see...

You live in a fantasy world and have taken absolutely no real world factors into consideration.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/23/2021 4:46am
#434 wrote:
Supercross and MXGP should be shortened so that everybody can compete in both. 12 rounds for both. 4 SXs outside the US, 4 GPs in the...
Supercross and MXGP should be shortened so that everybody can compete in both. 12 rounds for both. 4 SXs outside the US, 4 GPs in the US. MXdN to finish of the season.
What stadiums in Europe have the floor size to do a proper sx.
I suppose you can do it at a outdoor race track in the infield.
Bearuno
11/23/2021 4:46am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2021 4:47am
There's No need to set aside 'greed'.

Just have an ambition, and the nouse to get out of ones comfort zone.

If a US rider gets off their arse, and goes to Europe , and does very, very well, they'll make a Huge amount of money.

But, they'd have to beat a fair few other riders, going for Fortune and Fame. But, that's the case, wherever they race.

It's like this - only a very few make Massive Euros or $$ from this sport, be it in the USA, or GPs, then you've got those that make a lot, then a very reasonable living, and so on, ever further down the scale.

I find the belief that there's no money to be made in the GPs (I'm not talking about 'prize money' - we all know that f**kwit Luongo so needs money to "help the sport" - that's sarcasm, people) , and European Internationals, to be bloody comical - no, bloody idiotic. But, (mostly) American 'fans' just don't seem to think anyone other than an America based rider makes the "Big Bucks " or Bonus's . Whistling
11/23/2021 4:51am
Any american should be given the opportunity to adapt to MXgp. It means a long time project. No pressure the first year. Let´s imagine Plessinger comes to Yamaha Europe. No pressure with a top ten as a big achievement.................no way, remember Villopoto.
MXon in RedBud is a very hot potato again.
PNWRider
11/23/2021 5:06am
Greed? That’s funny.

Most motocross racers (even most factory riders) will never make enough to be “set for life.” A couple will (Dungey, Villopoto, RC/JS/CR, etc). Even those guys aren’t making enough to essentially donate a couple years (of a very short window to begin with) to try for a world title. Worse, unless it’s at the end of their career like RV, they stand to lose a lot more if they pick up a big injury over there that prevents them from winning again over here.

Finally, I’m as patriotic as they come, but the days of us showing Europe how it’s done are gone in anything but SX.
mx317
11/23/2021 5:11am
I wish there was a combined series or a series like the old Trans Am series in the fall, but it will never happen because of the importance of SX here in the US.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
11/23/2021 5:13am
A top rider in the US will make the same money here as in Europe. Herlings is the KTM groups highest payed rider.

But back to why they won’t go.
1 they like sleeping in their own beds
2 they like eating their food
3 they like their training facilities.
4 they like decent weather.

Why they don’t go.
1 sleeping in a motor home for three days at a track.
2 never knowing what food the area will provide.
3 food poisoning
4 horrible travel schedule
5 riding on wet sand somewhere in Belgium in 35 degree weather.

I’ll be honest tho, if my son was a top amateur, I’d send him to Europe for two seasons to teach him how to survive, because they are definitely tougher than the American riders.
11/23/2021 5:18am
#434 wrote:
Supercross and MXGP should be shortened so that everybody can compete in both. 12 rounds for both. 4 SXs outside the US, 4 GPs in the...
What stadiums in Europe have the floor size to do a proper sx. I suppose you can do it at a outdoor race track in the...
What stadiums in Europe have the floor size to do a proper sx.
I suppose you can do it at a outdoor race track in the infield.
Germany alone has three soccer stadiums with a roof. So that should not be the deal breaker.
Bearuno
11/23/2021 5:21am
#434 wrote:
And there we go, a 'grand plan', to truly diminish our sport.

Less high level racing, and Less opportunities for all of the sports participants.

This time, put forward by a German ( if the DEU is accurate) , instead of the usual American.

The World Championships of Motocross is The World Championships of Motocross.

The USA MX Championships , is The USA MX Championships.

Supercross, is Supercross - a largely US branch of the Sport.

I follow them all - it's not hard to do so.

lestat
11/23/2021 5:32am
If you want to have an American rider win the World Championship again , you should focus on getting the greed out of amateur racing . America no longer develops riders capable of winning the most prestigious title in motocross . Having 8 billion amateur classes running 1 lap motos is the direction you’re headed . As long as your amateur national program is run by greedy old men who have all the power in the sport , nothing is going to change .
AH387
11/23/2021 5:39am
1 thing that I think gets overlooked when comparing the US racing scene to the GPs is, no other countries have a series where you can stay close to home and race a series and make that much money. The guys racing the GPs are from all over the world. So they don't have a choice to stay in Italy for example, as an Italian, and race a premier series within your home country. So I never understood how people think Americans are lazy or soft for not wanting to race the GPs, when our guys have the luxury to stay close to home and live a fairly normal life, while still making money, rather than having to travel across the world for 3/4 of the year and sacrifice quality of life. I can't blame anyone for taking the convenient route, there. The US schedule is enough of a grind, but at least you can live a more normal life, especially since a lot of these guys have kids etc.
MyBobbym
11/23/2021 5:40am
Greed? Did it ever occur to you that today's racers that were born in the 90s and 00's didn't grow up wanting or caring about an...
Greed?

Did it ever occur to you that today's racers that were born in the 90s and 00's didn't grow up wanting or caring about an FIM Championship. Their dreams are to win AMA SX and MX champiosnips.
There is only ONE World Motocross Championship. The best riders are here And there. I'm not sure who would/could win it though. Damn good racing no matter... and that is what it's all about, right?
MyBobbym
11/23/2021 5:43am
EnvyMedia wrote:
If we play ifs and buts then I honestly would believe RV would’ve took that title. All the heavy hitters that year crashed out by the...
If we play ifs and buts then I honestly would believe RV would’ve took that title. All the heavy hitters that year crashed out by the way
It wasn't in his heart or he could have more than likely.
Bearuno
11/23/2021 5:44am
#434 wrote:
Germany alone has three soccer stadiums with a roof. So that should not be the deal breaker.
I'd say the spectator turn out for the 2016 SMX event in Germany, might be quite an influential 'deal breaker' for any SX promoter thinking of holding a SX in any large European / British stadium.

The losses on that, must have been enormous.

Post a reply to: It would be pretty awesome if an American rider set aside greed...

The Latest