It`s not all nice and easy in 22land

Related:
Create New Tag

11/14/2012 11:07 AM

josh8811 wrote:

Are you saying JS7 isn't very smart?! RACIST

Actually, he was implying Villopoto.

Rather, I'm implying Villopoto.

Rather, I'm putting it right out there: Villopoto.

I can't remember which Transworld feature it was - I think it was the video one where they have a trivia-off between Adam Cianciarulo, a homeschooled 7th grader (at the time), and a number of professional riders. The kid destroyed RV, when Reed handled him fairly easily. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But Ryan comes off as sharp enough when he speaks, and really is for all I know. I thought he did a good job in the announcer's booth back in 2010 too, a place you wouldn't want Dungey within 100 feet of.

|

11/14/2012 11:16 AM

CamP wrote:

Motocross, the only sport where drop-outs are considered smart.

DING DING DING.........................

|

" Passion is a good thing until you're blinded by it "

11/14/2012 11:48 AM

CamP wrote:

Clutchy BeeGood wrote:

I think Josh Grant's wife summed it up well on the latest Inside The Outdoors segment when she said that in most other sports you could get scholarships to further your education while playing the sport you love until a major team picks you up...in fact you are encouraged to get a higher education. Motocross is the only sport where you are almost encouraged to drop out of school before you even get a high school diploma since education "gets in the way" of training and racing.

|

11/14/2012 11:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2012 3:01 PM

How do any of the last page of comments relate to this thread? In any way?

Tards.

|

11/14/2012 11:59 AM

CamP wrote:

Clutchy BeeGood wrote:

davistld01 wrote:

I think Josh Grant's wife summed it up well on the latest Inside The Outdoors segment when she said that in most other sports you could get scholarships to further your education while playing the sport you love until a major team picks you up...in fact you are encouraged to get a higher education. Motocross is the only sport where you are almost encouraged to drop out of school before you even get a high school diploma since education "gets in the way" of training and racing.

It really depends on the sport. Other than football and basketball, and some key successful niche programs at certain schools, there are very full full ride scholarships or scholarships at all.

But for all youth sports, there is an industry if people making a lot of money off of parents telling them that their services will get you a scholarship. There's probably 400 kids through high school in one of the local soccer clubs, and maybe five a year get some sort of scholarship, and it's likely not as much as they paid the club over. And the kids who are truely good enough to succeed in the pros often are recruited earlier (certainly in soccer in other countries than the US) and bypass that system altogether.

Quitting education is not that unusual in some other sports, but the physical toll is pretty exceptional in MX for sure.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

11/14/2012 12:41 PM

Don"t hurt yourself jumping to conclusions there josh. That one's a pretty big gap. Hope you're at least wearing a helmet. Didn't you study deductive reasoning in home skewl?whistling

|

11/14/2012 12:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2012 12:54 PM

The deal with Grant and his mom seems a bit sad, I cant imagine the pain, fights they to go through before that separation, and the complexity to be Josh wife, and go against his mom (seems like the sane choice) and how Josh most likely understood it was they right way, but the emotional attachment is pretty strong and he must have been conflicted about this. It's not like it's over yet, this will most likely be open wound for the rest of his life, and they will of course try to deal with this crap over and over... Dunno how much this has to do with MX, just that's pretty strong as a story itself...

Kudos to the Josh and his wife, being personal in the show, and let us share their story, seems they are on the right track.

|

11/14/2012 12:58 PM

Reed thinks he has problems?? I just sneezed so hard I farted out a sunflower seed.

|

11/14/2012 1:04 PM

Ok ok..........

1) ALL is grand in TwoTwo landsmile

2) It's Twitter my friends...........n-ough said!!!!!!!!!!w00t

|

11/14/2012 1:12 PM

Ozzy wrote:

Ok ok..........

What did you do before twitter Ozzy?smile

I'm ready to see the 2 2 team in action again.

|

11/14/2012 1:45 PM

Braaap14 wrote:

Tards.

wtf does your post have anything to do with the firmness of Dianna Dahlgreen's glutes?!

|

11/14/2012 2:05 PM

Braaap14 wrote:

Tards.

peelout wrote:

wtf does your post have anything to do with the firmness of Dianna Dahlgreen's glutes?!

WTF does either of your posts have to do with a chimp bathing a cat?

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

11/14/2012 2:06 PM

On the topic of schooling, the Reed's visited their old high school the other day (don't know whats up with the shit quality)

|

James = #7. Malcolm = #27
7/27=0.259259259259259259259
Stewart return confirmed!

11/14/2012 2:11 PM

Reedy does it proper!.. love his attitude

Photo

|

11/14/2012 2:25 PM

kyle450rider wrote:

I'm a big fan of K-Dub but wasn't he sued by yamaha years back when he broke contract with them to ride for honda? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought about reading something along these lines in racer x or one of the other industry mags.

Far as best deals in the biz I would have to think Carey Hart, Watson, and Ricky C are pulling some huge sponsers in. Didn't Hart say that he only agree's on multi year deals with his big sponsers?

munsch121 wrote:

I think the dispute was with Suzuki. He broke his femur on a zuk and was talking about hanging it up and not racing anymore or something, then came back on a honda outdoors....

Nope..

Yamaha after he signed a letter of intent with Blue and then went Red.

Zooki he just finished up cause he crashed trying to quad that rhythm section at Atlanta in 02

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11/14/2012 2:46 PM

22Ryann wrote:

Reedy does it proper!.. love his attitude

Photo

Jeez, I hope that's not his factory bike. Alot of bike thefts around that area in the last couple of years

|

James = #7. Malcolm = #27
7/27=0.259259259259259259259
Stewart return confirmed!

11/14/2012 3:27 PM

Panic_Rev wrote:

Wow, have you listened to Dungey's speeches/interviews? The smartest guy out there is probably the one struggling to qualify that took school more seriously.

THIS. Awesome post!

|

11/14/2012 3:43 PM

Braaap14 wrote:

Tards.

peelout wrote:

none and all of the above. #CheekHang

|

11/14/2012 4:02 PM

motokiwi wrote:

Everyone at that level needs a manager, not so much for smarts as just doing jobs the rider does not have time to do..

I wholeheartedly disagree and I know I am going to upset a few people, but no, not everyone needs a "manager."

Look, if you're a high profile rider like Reed, Stewart, Villopoto, Dungey, etc....Yes, a manager would be beneficial, not only to negotiate deals, but to coordinate photo shoots, appearances and more. A "real" manager does more than negotiate a deal and then ignore you until contract time.

What I see far too much of, is lower or mid-tier level riders who have managers for no real reason, and the riders aren't typically getting any more than they could get on their own, but they're just giving a percentage of their earnings to someone else. Keep in mind as well, these managers aren't exclusive, they represent several or even many riders, how can they really get the best deal for Joe if they're also trying to get the best deal for Jim? There's only so many slots in MX, this isn't football or baseball with potential opportunities. PC has one 250 slot, the manager now has to choose who they're going to push for to get the job....who they're going to sell harder.

Go look at the silly season list and all those names with no jobs, and many of them have managers.

Here's another question, ever notice in other sports or entertainment, when something happens, good or bad, the manager is out front controlling the message? You know, the manager gives their side of the story so wild rumors don't fly around?

When was the last time you saw that in this sport?

So, while some riders I do agree need management representation, I disagree that "Everyone at every level needs a manager"

|

This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR

[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

11/14/2012 4:38 PM

About a year ago I needed to get a cylinder replated and the local honda dealer sent me to this dude in the sticks, east of dallas. turns out that dude was the old owner of plano honda, steve wagner. he had time to kill when i went there and was kind enough to tell me the story of his team and its ultimate failure due to some energy drink contract not being honored. and how he had to sell his dealership to square up the debt to honda.

honestly, i cant imagine how chad as a racer/owner could keep everything straight without some help, so many moving parts. sucks to hear about deals falling through with a guy with his story and following.

|

11/14/2012 4:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2012 4:45 PM

bonseff wrote:

About a year ago I needed to get a cylinder replated and the local honda dealer sent me to this dude in the sticks, east of dallas. turns out that dude was the old owner of plano honda, steve wagner. he had time to kill when i went there and was kind enough to tell me the story of his team and its ultimate failure due to some energy drink contract not being honored. and how he had to sell his dealership to square up the debt to honda.

honestly, i cant imagine how chad as a racer/owner could keep everything straight without some help, so many moving parts. sucks to hear about deals falling through with a guy with his story and following.

Shark Energy Drink!

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR

[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

11/14/2012 5:38 PM

flarider wrote:

I wholeheartedly disagree and I know I am going to upset a few people, but no, not everyone needs a "manager."

Look, if you're a high profile rider like Reed, Stewart, Villopoto, Dungey, etc....Yes, a manager would be beneficial, not only to negotiate deals, but to coordinate photo shoots, appearances and more. A "real" manager does more than negotiate a deal and then ignore you until contract time.

What I see far too much of, is lower or mid-tier level riders who have managers for no real reason, and the riders aren't typically getting any more than they could get on their own, but they're just giving a percentage of their earnings to someone else. Keep in mind as well, these managers aren't exclusive, they represent several or even many riders, how can they really get the best deal for Joe if they're also trying to get the best deal for Jim? There's only so many slots in MX, this isn't football or baseball with potential opportunities. PC has one 250 slot, the manager now has to choose who they're going to push for to get the job....who they're going to sell harder.

Go look at the silly season list and all those names with no jobs, and many of them have managers.

Here's another question, ever notice in other sports or entertainment, when something happens, good or bad, the manager is out front controlling the message? You know, the manager gives their side of the story so wild rumors don't fly around?

When was the last time you saw that in this sport?

So, while some riders I do agree need management representation, I disagree that "Everyone at every level needs a manager"

I agree 100% of this post.

I think its too trendy and too cool to have a manager and a trainer for most of todays riders.

|

11/14/2012 6:01 PM

Triton wrote:

If I had to foster a guess, I'd imagine this has to do with Chad trying to add Dean into the second slot option that Honda had as part of the contract for TwoTwo. If that was the case, it would be Honda walking away from that support or at least not the full support that was expected. It's already been speculated that the second spot would be a non factory bike. I imagine Honda may be pushing back on Wilson because of them having Barcia.

DW15's mechanic just got hired by CR22 remember, does CR really need 3 mechanics??

|

11/14/2012 6:03 PM

Ozzy wrote:

Ok ok..........

careful I'll tweet your boss and have him send your ass to aussie, lmao!! it's all good ozz

|

11/14/2012 6:13 PM

Coyote wrote:

DW15's mechanic just got hired by CR22 remember, does CR really need 3 mechanics??

The 3rd mechanic is obviously for all the go karts he has, someone has to keep those things running sweet!

|

11/14/2012 6:17 PM

Triton wrote:

If I had to foster a guess, I'd imagine this has to do with Chad trying to add Dean into the second slot option that Honda had as part of the contract for TwoTwo. If that was the case, it would be Honda walking away from that support or at least not the full support that was expected. It's already been speculated that the second spot would be a non factory bike. I imagine Honda may be pushing back on Wilson because of them having Barcia.

Coyote wrote:

JamesOliver wrote:

The 3rd mechanic is obviously for all the go karts he has, someone has to keep those things running sweet!

and the rally car!wink

|

11/14/2012 6:23 PM

Coyote wrote:

Do you know for sure he hired him to be a mechanic?

|

11/14/2012 8:36 PM

Torco1 wrote:

WTF does either of your posts have to do with a chimp bathing a cat?

[LINK TO IMAGE]

By far, the best post on Vital in months.

Most Vital posts have less relevance than this, and are never this amusing.

....wait for it...........boom, right leg back kick!

That's one thorough chimp.

|

11/14/2012 9:08 PM

kongols wrote:

Chad Reed ‏@CRtwotwo

I have way to much passion for this lame industry. Need more people like P&J fox, Gabriel,jan de Groot,Bevo,Chiodo,Gosselaar

Mark ‏@ShaggyDogRacing

@CRtwotwo sadly, contracts are only as good as the money you're willing to spend in court to enforce them.

Amen. Contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on when you have people that have no morals!

|

11/14/2012 9:56 PM

ask Mike Kidd and Mike Holligan about companies honoring contracts.

this sport is RIFE with companies just not honoring a contract. Why? The riders. plain and simple. they dont fight. And if they bad mouth the company, the other riders still take anything they can get and are happy to get what little they can from said company because unless you are a top 10 guy, youre starving. Thats our sport.

|

A person is smart.... A group of people are only as smart as the loudest person in the room!