It’s Official: New Leaseholder @ Southwick

Travis707
Edited Date/Time 8/9/2013 8:24pm
It’s one of the owners of Alias.
|
Mouse153
8/7/2013 8:40pm
Does that mean the national is still a go for 2014?
Travis707
8/7/2013 8:43pm
Mouse153 wrote:
Does that mean the national is still a go for 2014?
No, they tried to retain the National but it didn't work out.

The Shop

jeffro503
8/7/2013 9:23pm
National in the future maybe? I guess it depends on what the track can do with the changes and if MXsports can work together with the new promoter.
Xeno
8/7/2013 9:28pm
What if Southwick was off the schedule for two or three years, then came back? The spectator turnout would be massive.

Just like Glen Helen will be in 2015.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
8/7/2013 11:11pm
I hear Saddleback will be back on the schedule too.
jndmx
8/8/2013 3:19am
How do you define "Official"?
ns503
8/8/2013 4:13am
jndmx wrote:
What I was going to say.

What the heck is official about this?
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2797th
8/8/2013 4:52am
jndmx wrote:
ns503 wrote:
What I was going to say.

What the heck is official about this?
Anything written here is official. Derrr
ga_pike
8/8/2013 6:00am
It's on the internet so... Bonjour!
frita
8/8/2013 6:10am
If this is true I can't imagine it not coming back. I listened to a podcast with Davy the other day and he seems keen to mix it up, change some tracks to keep it interesting. Maybe 2 to 3 years it'll be back.
Travis707
8/8/2013 6:27am
jeffro503 wrote:
National in the future maybe? I guess it depends on what the track can do with the changes and if MXsports can work together with the...
National in the future maybe? I guess it depends on what the track can do with the changes and if MXsports can work together with the new promoter.
Maybe, time will tell. The new promoter is working on plans for many improvements to the track and facilities. I think it’s unfortunate that perhaps MX Sports didn’t do everything it could have done to keep Southwick on the National schedule but at this point it’s neither here nor there.

If there is a hiatus from the National for a few a short period of time, it’s okay. If the National never returns to Southwick then so be it. That would be very unfortunate but great motocross racing will still go on at Southwick for many, many years to come.

In fact, the #1 priority the new promoter has for Southwick is to host a future round of the USGP… and to get the top AMA riders to compete in the race.
Shawn142
8/8/2013 7:23am
Travis707 wrote:
Maybe, time will tell. The new promoter is working on plans for many improvements to the track and facilities. I think it’s unfortunate that perhaps MX...
Maybe, time will tell. The new promoter is working on plans for many improvements to the track and facilities. I think it’s unfortunate that perhaps MX Sports didn’t do everything it could have done to keep Southwick on the National schedule but at this point it’s neither here nor there.

If there is a hiatus from the National for a few a short period of time, it’s okay. If the National never returns to Southwick then so be it. That would be very unfortunate but great motocross racing will still go on at Southwick for many, many years to come.

In fact, the #1 priority the new promoter has for Southwick is to host a future round of the USGP… and to get the top AMA riders to compete in the race.
The problem with MX Sports trying to retain Southwick as a national is it wouldn't have the same promoters, one of which was an original founding member of the NPG. You don't stab your own people in the back just to keep a race. I applaud Davey and MX Sports for having some loyalty to their own.
Xeno
8/8/2013 7:25am
Travis707 wrote:
Maybe, time will tell. The new promoter is working on plans for many improvements to the track and facilities. I think it’s unfortunate that perhaps MX...

A combined World MX GP and points-paying AMA MX National- the holy grail of motocross.

Will we see it in our lifetimes?
jndmx
8/8/2013 7:39am
jeffro503 wrote:
National in the future maybe? I guess it depends on what the track can do with the changes and if MXsports can work together with the...
Travis707 wrote:

Again I ask.....how are you coming by this info and how is this "official"?

I have heard all the same rumors about Grondahl buying the lease, running a race with K-Dub, buying the property out-right.....none of which have been true.

So what is making this definite?
Travis707
8/8/2013 7:47am
Travis707 wrote:

Shawn142 wrote:
The problem with MX Sports trying to retain Southwick as a national is it wouldn't have the same promoters, one of which was an original founding...
The problem with MX Sports trying to retain Southwick as a national is it wouldn't have the same promoters, one of which was an original founding member of the NPG. You don't stab your own people in the back just to keep a race. I applaud Davey and MX Sports for having some loyalty to their own.
You have to respect loyalty Shawn, absolutely. However, are Diane and Ralph going to be promoting the race that replaces Southwick?

No. MX Sports will be working with a new promoter so why couldn't it have been the new promoter of Southwick? It doesn't make sense to me.
Travis707
8/8/2013 8:01am
jndmx wrote:
Again I ask.....how are you coming by this info and how is this "official"? I have heard all the same rumors about Grondahl buying the lease...
Again I ask.....how are you coming by this info and how is this "official"?

I have heard all the same rumors about Grondahl buying the lease, running a race with K-Dub, buying the property out-right.....none of which have been true.

So what is making this definite?
This is the internets. Doesn't matter what my sources are. LOL!

Seriously though, you know how rumors are... usually some of it is true, some of it isn't. If you want the polished PR piece you can find that in the moto media at some point in the future. The cool thing about message boards is you often get the story before the masses. But you have to take the good with the bad.

I know there are several people on here that, if they put in some effort, can find out exactly what the story is.

I was told the American Legion voted and awarded the lease in a unanimous vote. Take it for what it is.
Travis707
8/8/2013 8:03am
ga_pike wrote:
It's on the internet so... Bonjour!
Now that's funny! Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read it. Classic.
Travis707
8/8/2013 8:33am
Xeno wrote:
A combined World MX GP and points-paying AMA MX National- the holy grail of motocross.

Will we see it in our lifetimes?
Don't know if it would be a combined points-paying race but that would be epic.

Hosting a USGP is the goal and what needs to happen is for the top AMA riders compete in the event. It would require a lot of cooperation from a lot of people with competing priorities. If it can be accomplished, it would be a great thing for our sport.

That being said, how many passionate fans of the sport have put huge sums of money into running a race team or promoting a race only to lose a lot of money? Should they have simply quit before they started? No, it's great that there are people who just love the sport and want to do what's best for the sport long-term. It's a win-win.

Well, this guy is very passionate about moto and has the financial ability to accomplish goals. He doesn't need to make money promoting races... he is already very wealthy.

Maybe it would require start money for the top 3 AMA riders and a generous purse structure. No problem. Maybe it would require a large investment in the track and facility. No problem. The point is, the effort has to be made before a goal can be accomplished.
500guy
8/8/2013 8:41am
USGP at Budds Creek and Glen Helen were pretty much failures.

I don't see any way they can get the top AMA riders to race a GP.

1.No money
2.Nothing to gain
3.Risk everything for current and future Series in USA

One other thing , what a slap in the face it must be to the GP teams to pay huge money per rider to be a part of the GP's only to have the USA ,AMA riders begged and even paid to participate.
JM21
Fantasy
3990th
8/8/2013 8:54am
Official for sure....Mike Grohndal has purchased the lease.
IWreckALot
8/8/2013 9:07am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2013 9:07am
500guy wrote:
USGP at Budds Creek and Glen Helen were pretty much failures. I don't see any way they can get the top AMA riders to race a...

1.No money
2.Nothing to gain

One other thing , what a slap in the face it must be to the GP teams to pay huge money per rider to be a part of the GP's only to have the USA ,AMA riders begged and even paid to participate.
Could they make it a dual points paying race? I believe someone else suggested this.
Zildjian
8/8/2013 10:30am
lostboy819 wrote:
I hear Saddleback will be back on the schedule too.
Don't tease me bro.
jtomasik
8/8/2013 10:53am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2013 10:53am
500guy wrote:
USGP at Budds Creek and Glen Helen were pretty much failures. I don't see any way they can get the top AMA riders to race a...

1.No money
2.Nothing to gain

AMA should make them a part of the points payout to AMA titles. AMA and FIM should be working together to not only keep their best riders local, but also to combine so everyone can enjoy the best from the planet. A divisive attitude hurts the entire sport: fan, rider, factory, and business alike.

A few AMA races overseas as part of a AMA/FIM series would be nice, too.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
8/8/2013 11:40am
Let's see . . . Red Bull attached to the US series . . . Monster attached to the GPs . . . thinky no for the time being.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4002nd
8/8/2013 11:45am
500guy wrote:

1.No money
2.Nothing to gain

jtomasik wrote:
AMA should make them a part of the points payout to AMA titles. AMA and FIM should be working together to not only keep their best...
AMA should make them a part of the points payout to AMA titles. AMA and FIM should be working together to not only keep their best riders local, but also to combine so everyone can enjoy the best from the planet. A divisive attitude hurts the entire sport: fan, rider, factory, and business alike.

I like where your going with this!!
DonM
8/8/2013 11:55am
500guy wrote:

1.No money
2.Nothing to gain

jtomasik wrote:
AMA should make them a part of the points payout to AMA titles. AMA and FIM should be working together to not only keep their best...

I like where your going with this!!
Will never happen...sponsor conflicts being the main reason and Luongo will never share his pie....

Post a reply to: It’s Official: New Leaseholder @ Southwick

The Latest