Issue with arm pump

Edited Date/Time 11/3/2012 8:10pm
I ride 4 times a week on a rough rutted track. I do 20 minite moto's all day on it. I train by running 4 and a half miles. I do an hour long road bike ride, and go to the gym. My suspension is set up for me and, my weight, and so are the controls. My body positioning is their. My endurance is there because I don't get tired after a 20 minite moto. Why do I still get arm pump on race day?!
|
6/7/2010 1:59am
Anxiety.

On race day your nerves make you ride differently, probably with a tighter grip.

Focus on relaxing/staying calm and gripping the bike hard with your inner legs.

Other than that there's little you can do.
JW381
6/7/2010 9:24am
I don't ride as often, but not my choice. Just financial reasons and other obligations. But no matter what, when I do ride, I battle arm pump a lot. I think I have a bit of carpel tunnel, and riding a 250 2-stroke is work to the forearms.

Breathing and gripping with your legs as much as possible is what gets me thru the days. Stretch your forearms out before you ride as well. I also notice that I seem to be able to ride longer on a fuller stomach, rather than the opposite haha but that's just me.
level
6/7/2010 9:39am
Seems like your doing everything right. Hard to say really. If you don't get it while practicing then it's probably the adrenaline from racing. Probably more race time and it will get better. I battle with it hard too and I remember years back that cardio and just practicing more helped a lot.
Racer92
6/7/2010 9:47am
Green nail polish. Works every time.

The Shop

6/7/2010 9:52am
I drink Cytomax while riding and it cuts my arm pump in half and is gone by the end of the day (didn't train much last year so it was a necessity), I usually drink a gallon or so during the day, make sure you drink some 3-4 hours before you ride though and in between moto's. As said above anxiety will be a factor as well and that issue has already been addressed.
onenastynotch
6/7/2010 10:11am
I've heard drinking drinks with a a lot of caffeine works.
wrong ....more like makes its worse seeing that caffeine constricts blood vessels
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
6/7/2010 10:11am
TripleFive wrote:
Anxiety. On race day your nerves make you ride differently, probably with a tighter grip. Focus on relaxing/staying calm and gripping the bike hard with your...
Anxiety.

On race day your nerves make you ride differently, probably with a tighter grip.

My first thoughts as well.

Give your knees something to hold onto. Change how you grab the bike. Try some grip tape on the airbox and see if that helps.
moto314
6/7/2010 10:36am
Same thing happens to me, I can practice all day without arm pump, but I get it during a race. Breath, grip with your legs, and consciously tell yourself to loosen up your grip.
newmann
6/7/2010 10:38am
Not on sinus meds for year round permanant sinus infections like me are you?

Rooster
6/7/2010 10:48am
Learn to grip your bike harder with your legs and try and relax your arms more.
6/7/2010 10:49am
I've heard drinking drinks with a a lot of caffeine works.
wrong ....more like makes its worse seeing that caffeine constricts blood vessels
Really? You sure about that? Do you get arm pump in your brain? Those are the blood vessels it constricts.

Anyway my post was sarcasm and I am sure the guy(s) that believe caffeine has no effect on arm pump will chime in before long. The OP is the classic case that I was talking about. He is in good shape, rides all the time, yet still gets arm pump. I wonder how good his diet is. Or is it just anxiety like 555 said and not breathing?
txmxer
6/7/2010 10:56am
Is your race day warmup any different than your practice day warmup?

Practice days people tend to ease into the riding and do more warmup. Race days its a few laps and then racing is on.

That's about the only thing I can think of other than the anxiety deal.
Racer92
6/7/2010 11:00am
Really? You sure about that? Do you get arm pump in your brain? Those are the blood vessels it constricts. Anyway my post was sarcasm and...
Really? You sure about that? Do you get arm pump in your brain? Those are the blood vessels it constricts.

Anyway my post was sarcasm and I am sure the guy(s) that believe caffeine has no effect on arm pump will chime in before long. The OP is the classic case that I was talking about. He is in good shape, rides all the time, yet still gets arm pump. I wonder how good his diet is. Or is it just anxiety like 555 said and not breathing?
Im no doctor, but I dont think you can constrict only 'some' blood vessels with a systemically administered drug.
6/7/2010 11:14am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:21pm
Really? You sure about that? Do you get arm pump in your brain? Those are the blood vessels it constricts. Anyway my post was sarcasm and...

Racer92 wrote:
Im no doctor, but I dont think you can constrict only 'some' blood vessels with a systemically administered drug.
I'm not either but I did research once upon a time when I was big into diet, lifting, riding, etc.. Ever heard of the ECA stack that was really popular before everyone had a hissy fit about Ephedra? ECA = Ephedra, Caffeine, and Aspirin. ECA = lose weight.

Here are some excerpts:

let me just say that caffeine interferes with many reactions in our body. It has effect on our brain and many other organs. There are some studies that say that caffeine is a kind of addictive drug. These scientists have proven that it operates using the same mechanisms as, for example, cocaine. The effect of caffeine on our blood vessels is complex. In the brain, caffeine binds with adenosine receptors. Adenosine is a chemical that when bonded with nerve cells, among other things, causes the blood vessels to constrict. This is why many migraine drugs contain caffeine. The constriction of brain blood vessels eases the pain. On the other side caffeine also has a direct effect on the blood vessels in our body, especially on those in kidneys and lungs. The direct action causes the blood vessels to dilate. Because of these antagonistic effects the total result of caffeine effect on blood vessels is unpredictable. Basically, if you have one or two cups of coffee a day you should not feel any negative consequences of caffeine. However, if your daily intake of coffee is greater, you are seriously endangering your health.

http://www.caffeineandmigraine.com/caffeine.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3010/Before-sip-coffee.html

Caffeine is a powerful, legal drug, found in tea, cocoa and colas, energising sports drinks, chocolate, and even painkillers and cold remedies. We investigates the surprising ways it affects your health...

Heart: Caffeine makes your heart beat faster and raises blood pressure. It widens blood vessels and excites the system that conducts electrical impulses, which can lead to palpitations. People with high blood pressure, heart disease or irregular heartbeat problems should avoid caffeine.

Blood: It lowers blood sugar levels and increases circulating cholesterol and free fatty acids (triglycerides) - risk factors for heart attacks. It also raises blood pressure. Some blood vessels are dilated, others constricted.

Kidneys: Caffeine acts as a diuretic, making the kidneys work harder, reducing body water and leading to dehydration. It dilates the blood vessels in kidneys and speeds up the elimination of minerals and vitamins, many of which are essential to health, especially in menopausal years. One of the vitamins it depletes is B6, vital for preventing kidney stones. People with stones should avoid caffeine and increase intake of vitamin B6 and magnesium, (also important in preventing stones).

Muscles The drug dilates blood vessels, improves strength and endurance. It helps prevent tiredness during repetitive physical activities, and helps muscular co-ordination.

Outsider
6/7/2010 11:22am
TripleFive wrote:
Anxiety. On race day your nerves make you ride differently, probably with a tighter grip. Focus on relaxing/staying calm and gripping the bike hard with your...
Anxiety.

X2

Like Butteries in your gut, having to take a dump, and developing a nervous twitch on the line.

Race day jitters.
JW381
6/7/2010 11:33am
Outsider wrote:
X2

Like Butteries in your gut, having to take a dump, and developing a nervous twitch on the line.

Race day jitters.
I always have mad butterflies, usually have to go to the bathroom regarding some hole, and yawn a lot. I've got holeshots before and blown out the first turn because I'm too jacked to properly let off the gas and apply brakes. Or "breaks" as some folks around these parts like to call them.
Outsider
6/7/2010 11:38am
JW381 wrote:
I always have mad butterflies, usually have to go to the bathroom regarding some hole, and yawn a lot. I've got holeshots before and blown out...
I always have mad butterflies, usually have to go to the bathroom regarding some hole, and yawn a lot. I've got holeshots before and blown out the first turn because I'm too jacked to properly let off the gas and apply brakes. Or "breaks" as some folks around these parts like to call them.
Ha! Yep, a lot of times it's almost like someone else is riding the bike through the first turn and I'm just along for the ride!
6/7/2010 11:47am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2010 11:48am
Outsider wrote:
X2

Race day jitters.
JW381 wrote:
I always have mad butterflies, usually have to go to the bathroom regarding some hole, and yawn a lot. I've got holeshots before and blown out...
Finding a way to relax will help whether it is controlling your breathing and relaxing your muscles. Avoid alcohol and decongestants AND...CAFFEINE. Not going to get too deep but visualization may work wonders also, especially seeing yourself letting off the gas and hitting the "breaks" at the right time.
9/13/2012 7:42pm
I'm an Integrative Neurosomatic Therapist at the St. John-Clark Pain Treatment Center in Clearwater, Florida and I'm looking for volunteers in the Tampa/Clearwater area to participate in a new therapy for Arm Pump.
This is a non-evasive therapy involving soft tissue manipulation with the intention of widening neurological and vascular pathways and increasing the space in the fascial compartment. I'm looking for 15-30 qualified volunteers. If you are a regular rider that experiences frequent arm pump, you may qualify for this therapy free of charge. Therapy would consist of treatments up to an hour long, once or twice a week for six weeks.

If you are interested in taking part in this study, please email me at mimiflower80@gmail.com

Integrative Neurosomatic Therapy has been pioneered by Paul St. John over the last 30 years. It is a results based, structural therapy modality that works to resolve chronic pain and dysfunction issues without the use of medications or surgery.

http://www.stjohn-clarkptc.com/
11/2/2012 12:17pm
I ride 4 times a week on a rough rutted track. I do 20 minite moto's all day on it. I train by running 4 and...
I ride 4 times a week on a rough rutted track. I do 20 minite moto's all day on it. I train by running 4 and a half miles. I do an hour long road bike ride, and go to the gym. My suspension is set up for me and, my weight, and so are the controls. My body positioning is their. My endurance is there because I don't get tired after a 20 minite moto. Why do I still get arm pump on race day?!
i have raced since i was seven so ive had my fair share of arm pump:/
Ive tried many different ways of dealing with including thoes wrist bands and none of it has worked! The only thing i would ever recemend is this guide on how to deal with it and prevnt it,i got this for a XMAS present and it is brilliant! i never have to worry about coming in half way through a race ever again!woo! Here is a link to the guide, i would personally rate it a 10/10!!

Click Here!
MX558
11/2/2012 3:27pm
I hear potassium (bananas) is good also. I was at the grocery store buying some soup of all things and found some soups have as much as 1000mg of the stuff way better than the pills for sure. I sure wish their was a easy cure. haha
Roscoe33
11/2/2012 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 11/2/2012 7:28pm
TripleFive wrote:
Anxiety.

Outsider wrote:
X2

Race day jitters.
your 1st lap pit board should read....BREATHE.

start by doing visualizations and link it to your favorite music, same music practice day as race day and get a routine .

usually race morning stretches are a good time to combine them.
velocitygear
11/2/2012 8:59pm
I use to get arm pump every time I rode, would take some hard laps and a "cool down" period before it would go away. I never believed suspension could be the cause, as I tried many different valving stacks and nothing really made "the difference".

Until I found the preloaded midvalve! It's actually a concept I was introduced to by Smart Suspension ( I thinks that was the name, it's been awhile) but his set-up did not work for me. Instead, I used another method to achieve the same thing.

Nerves on race day definitely play a roll but suspension, believe it or not, can play a HUGE factor. Even if you think it can't get any better...

The single best trick I'm going to teach my kids, is how to work on their suspension components. Chassis compliance is everything imo Wink
Preston412
11/3/2012 6:52am
You need to get warmed up and Stretch, stretch and stretch some more before practice, don't push it during practice, just get familiar with the track and get into a breathing rythm and know where on the track you can relax your grip besides jumps.

Banana's don't prevent arm pump, they just can help with reducing the amount of stiffness from Lactic Acid build up but you need to be eating them daily.

Do some grip exercises for strength and some for endurance. Learn to ride with a relaxed grip when possible and get your breathing pattern in a rythm.
velocitygear
11/3/2012 12:49pm
Preston412 wrote:
You need to get warmed up and Stretch, stretch and stretch some more before practice, don't push it during practice, just get familiar with the track...
You need to get warmed up and Stretch, stretch and stretch some more before practice, don't push it during practice, just get familiar with the track and get into a breathing rythm and know where on the track you can relax your grip besides jumps.

Banana's don't prevent arm pump, they just can help with reducing the amount of stiffness from Lactic Acid build up but you need to be eating them daily.

Do some grip exercises for strength and some for endurance. Learn to ride with a relaxed grip when possible and get your breathing pattern in a rythm.
I'm the opposite I have to go out for practice at 110 percent to make my arms rock hard if I have any hope of getting rid of the arm pump. Once rock hard stretching helps as well during this time. I never found a full proof method of getting rid of arm pump other than purposefully making arm pump happen. I would usually have to get my arms rock hard at least 2 x before the arm pump would go away. I always did better in the second moto because by then arm pump was gone...
4stroke4DWIN
11/3/2012 2:50pm
Sounds crazy but let the bike push you and not pull, I recently have been training with a well known ex pro and riding more nuetral/forward on the bike has all but ended any arm pump. At 39 and riding intermediate I still have to ride with 30yr olds that have way more energy than me lol. Grip tape on the frame also helped to grip the bike better also. Its the little tweeks that make the biggest difference at least for me.
DirtMAFIA
11/3/2012 3:36pm
CR250 wrote:
Read this article. I had the surgery but if I followed the advice in this article I may have been able to avoid it. Also, there...
Read this article. I had the surgery but if I followed the advice in this article I may have been able to avoid it. Also, there is a great product called AirAide that helps with breathing and Oxygen intake.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/400328-how-to-eat-to-reduce-lactic-ac…;

Bro what kind of surgery was that for?

Post a reply to: Issue with arm pump

The Latest