Isle of Man TT

js451
Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 3:57pm
I love the romance of historic events and tradition but as I grow as a person and rider I see this race as barbaric and unnecessary. Zero run off room, it’s just too dangerous. Curious to hear others thoughts on this that’s all.
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
6/12/2022 1:47am
js451 wrote:
I love the romance of historic events and tradition but as I grow as a person and rider I see this race as barbaric and unnecessary...
I love the romance of historic events and tradition but as I grow as a person and rider I see this race as barbaric and unnecessary. Zero run off room, it’s just too dangerous. Curious to hear others thoughts on this that’s all.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/12/2022 1:52am
js451 wrote:
I love the romance of historic events and tradition but as I grow as a person and rider I see this race as barbaric and unnecessary...
Don’t race it then , but why would you stop the ones that do want to? They know the risks

The Shop

scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/12/2022 1:59am
I know a few guys that have raced it , and knew dobsy who died and his family was part of tt3d

He loved that place and loved all year saving to go back to race it , he has 2 young kids but he and his wife (who he met there before bringing her back to nz) had discussed and planned what was to happen if the worst happen , he wanted to be buried on the island )

I also knew a guy that went once and said it was just two dangerous and scary , he never went back , each to their own , but the guys that do it year in and year our love and breath the place ,
js451
6/12/2022 2:03am
js451 wrote:
scott_nz wrote:
Don’t race it then , but why would you stop the ones that do want to? They know the risks

Yeah true, ultimately it’s up to the rider. I just think there’s ways today to really test riders and their machines against each other without the stupidity. No need really
6/12/2022 2:09am
I'm a massive believer in leaving people alone to live their lives how they see fit.

They all know the risks, let them get on with it. If you think it's too dangerous don't watch it and don't race it.
Mucktub
6/12/2022 5:05am
The risk is a major component as to the reason why anyone participates, I have friends who think I'm crazy for racing MX. It's the closest thing you'll get to cheating death and to some that's appealing.
devotid
Fantasy
315th
6/12/2022 7:38am
Its all so tiring.... I just miss the old days when we just left each other alone.
6/12/2022 7:45am
js451 wrote:
no one is forcing any of these guys to do it.

they're welcome to bow out and sit on the sidelines like the rest of us.
Hammer 663s
6/12/2022 10:20am
A father and his son just died this year in sidecars. Can you imagine being the wife? I DGAF how much you love something, and yeah no one is forcing them, but come on. 200 MPH on public roads is gonna generate fatalaties. 5 dead so far this year. For what? Glory? SMH.

Goal 1 every time me and my boy go out is be safe. We ain't pros, ain't getting paid to be out there. It's for fun.

Hammer 663s
6/12/2022 10:41am
A father and his son just died this year in sidecars. Can you imagine being the wife? I DGAF how much you love something, and yeah...
A father and his son just died this year in sidecars. Can you imagine being the wife? I DGAF how much you love something, and yeah no one is forcing them, but come on. 200 MPH on public roads is gonna generate fatalaties. 5 dead so far this year. For what? Glory? SMH.

Goal 1 every time me and my boy go out is be safe. We ain't pros, ain't getting paid to be out there. It's for fun.

Hammer 663s
But they knew the risks & so did their loved ones. The families of the dead are not calling the for the races to be stopped, it’s the wet wipes behind a keyboard.
bichwolf
6/12/2022 11:10am
Would not dream of telling someone they can't. I can't even watch video of that shit it's so insane.
People sit on rockets and get blasted into space...
Mankind is amazing
bigk218
Fantasy
3159th
6/12/2022 11:41am
Dude one of my buddies went to that race three years ago and said it’s was the most incredible thing he’s ever seen in his life (and he’s seen some shit). The riders are cut from a cloth 99% of us can’t comprehend and they live for that one race. They enter knowing what they are signing up for.
Alan Dove
6/12/2022 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2022 12:33pm
A lot of people watch dirtbikes with exactly the same opinion. This sport isn't without fatalities and serious injury (and that includes children...). So you might want to tone down the 'barbarism' talk.

Those who call for the TT to be banned rarely are able to put an actual figure on what risk level is acceptable for a motorsport. Basically people think their level of risk acceptance is right and anything above it is wrong... but the thing is PLENTY of people dirt bike racing is off the charts dangerous and givent he choice and knowledge of injury/fatality risk would ban it too.

there's nothing 'necessary' about dirtbike racing either.

If all the motocross deaths and serious injuries were headlines on all the motorsport and news sites you'd soon find yourself in a position of defending the very existence of YOUR sport.
Alan Dove
6/12/2022 12:30pm
A father and his son just died this year in sidecars. Can you imagine being the wife? I DGAF how much you love something, and yeah...

Hammer 663s
It's monumentally disrespectful for those who die to somehow suggest their death was from some mistaken persuit for glory. For some people with a propensity for high-risk this kind of activity is necessary for their overall well-being.

What I find incomprehensible is motorbike racers, particularly dirt bikers, to be ignorant to the risks involved in their own sport (which is off the scale compared to most motorsport). This is a sport that doesn't reserve its risk to fully cognizant adults either, but children too.

Some self-awareness is needed here. Are motocrossers who tragically die somehow 'glorious' but TT riders not?
PNWMXer
6/12/2022 1:28pm
js451 wrote:
scott_nz wrote:

js451 wrote:
Yeah true, ultimately it’s up to the rider. I just think there’s ways today to really test riders and their machines against each other without the...
Yeah true, ultimately it’s up to the rider. I just think there’s ways today to really test riders and their machines against each other without the stupidity. No need really
Who the F appointed you to be everyone’s nanny? Plenty of people deciding how everyone else should live these days, last thing we need is more of it.
DirtDgr
6/12/2022 1:40pm
js451 wrote:
So I suppose you think Everest should not be climbed any more. Daredevil stunts should be banned. Land speed records should not be attempted. Space travel? Nope. Heck how many are killed every year just racing and riding dirt bikes?
Come on man. Every rider knows the risk. If we are truly free then we should have the freedom to take the risks we want to take. Or not.
My thought is let those that want to take the risks, take them.
Monte122
6/12/2022 1:43pm
Same could be said about Solo Alpinisim or Solo Rock Climbing, yes... no rope.

Those guys are absolutely insane!

To the average person this is an unacceptable and irresponsible risk, but to these athletes it is not.
suspensionguy
Fantasy
2040th
6/12/2022 2:29pm
I respect these racers for doing something that I’d never have the courage to do and I want to see it in person. That’s just me tho.
Hammer 663s
6/12/2022 2:32pm
Alan Dove wrote:
A lot of people watch dirtbikes with exactly the same opinion. This sport isn't without fatalities and serious injury (and that includes children...). So you might...
A lot of people watch dirtbikes with exactly the same opinion. This sport isn't without fatalities and serious injury (and that includes children...). So you might want to tone down the 'barbarism' talk.

Those who call for the TT to be banned rarely are able to put an actual figure on what risk level is acceptable for a motorsport. Basically people think their level of risk acceptance is right and anything above it is wrong... but the thing is PLENTY of people dirt bike racing is off the charts dangerous and givent he choice and knowledge of injury/fatality risk would ban it too.

there's nothing 'necessary' about dirtbike racing either.

If all the motocross deaths and serious injuries were headlines on all the motorsport and news sites you'd soon find yourself in a position of defending the very existence of YOUR sport.
Name another participant sport that routinely has multiple fatalities at its major annual event. Every high risk sport has them on occasion but not like the TT does. I ski, climb, ride street and dirt, and I accept the risk of each of those. I also participate in them at locations where the risk is managed to one extent or another. And I am not calling for it to be banned. It just seems to me that the greatly elevated risks of those speeds in public roads is obviously going to end with deaths and I don’t see the risk/reward ratio as positive. Remember board tracks? They got banned for too many fatalities. So did the flying wedge in football.

Let them keep racing it. Doesn’t affect me one way or the other.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/12/2022 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2022 7:16pm
Name another participant sport that routinely has multiple fatalities at its major annual event. Every high risk sport has them on occasion but not like the...
Name another participant sport that routinely has multiple fatalities at its major annual event. Every high risk sport has them on occasion but not like the TT does. I ski, climb, ride street and dirt, and I accept the risk of each of those. I also participate in them at locations where the risk is managed to one extent or another. And I am not calling for it to be banned. It just seems to me that the greatly elevated risks of those speeds in public roads is obviously going to end with deaths and I don’t see the risk/reward ratio as positive. Remember board tracks? They got banned for too many fatalities. So did the flying wedge in football.

climbing Mt Everest comes to mind do you think that should be stopped too?

Hammer 663s
6/12/2022 3:11pm
Name another participant sport that routinely has multiple fatalities at its major annual event. Every high risk sport has them on occasion but not like the...

scott_nz wrote:
climbing Mt Everest comes to mind do you think that should be stopped too?

Little weak on reading comprehension eh? Don’t think I ever said stop/ban.

There have been a lot of changes on Everest over the years to keep unqualified people off the mountain. The TT started in 1907. I don’t think too many bikes could hit 200 mph then. Times have changed. Every sport evolves, and safety often drives that. Earnhardt, Senna, Seau and others paid the ultimate price but their legacy includes change as a result. My opinion is that there is no way to safely race motorcycles on public roads at these speeds. I’ve no idea what could be done to reduce the risk. Likely nothing. So eventually it will be banned, or moved to closed course circuits and an era will have passed. Like many others before it.
Hammer 663s
6/12/2022 3:23pm
Statistically 311 deaths on Everest since 1922. Worst year was 1996 with 12. 11 in 2019. There have been 265 deaths at the Isle of Man TT since 1907. Worst year was 2005 with 11. Only 1982 had no deaths at the TT.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
6/12/2022 3:56pm
js451 wrote:
So don't enter.
js451
6/12/2022 4:20pm
Omg the hate on here! 😆 No where did I say I wanted it to banned, i said I was curious to hear everyone’s thoughts!
Now I’m a wet wipe calling for the ban of the race 😆

Learn how to read before you spew out your emotions 😆

Youse are the keyboard warriors not me 😆
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/12/2022 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2022 5:27pm
Statistically 311 deaths on Everest since 1922. Worst year was 1996 with 12. 11 in 2019. There have been 265 deaths at the Isle of Man...
Statistically 311 deaths on Everest since 1922. Worst year was 1996 with 12. 11 in 2019. There have been 265 deaths at the Isle of Man TT since 1907. Worst year was 2005 with 11. Only 1982 had no deaths at the TT.
I would not stop anyone doing either if that’s what they dream of

Everest and the Isle of Man are a good comparison. They both get a shit load of money though the racing /climbing. I don’t think either stops anytime soon , the local governments have too much to lose , and those that want to race , or climb do it knowing the consequences

Hammer 663s
6/12/2022 6:12pm
scott_nz wrote:
I would not stop anyone doing either if that’s what they dream of Everest and the Isle of Man are a good comparison. They both get...
I would not stop anyone doing either if that’s what they dream of

Everest and the Isle of Man are a good comparison. They both get a shit load of money though the racing /climbing. I don’t think either stops anytime soon , the local governments have too much to lose , and those that want to race , or climb do it knowing the consequences

Is there any money in the TT? I’m totally ignorant about that. Pros vs amateur pay scales? Watched it for years when I lived in Europe but never attended. Can’t imagine sidecars guys make money. That’s a super niche motosport kinda like trials and Supermoto in my mind.

Now back to this KTM 125sx top end. Needs done tomorrow.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/12/2022 6:54pm
Is there any money in the TT? I’m totally ignorant about that. Pros vs amateur pay scales? Watched it for years when I lived in Europe...
Is there any money in the TT? I’m totally ignorant about that. Pros vs amateur pay scales? Watched it for years when I lived in Europe but never attended. Can’t imagine sidecars guys make money. That’s a super niche motosport kinda like trials and Supermoto in my mind.

Now back to this KTM 125sx top end. Needs done tomorrow.
for the riders, the top guys make a bit through bonuses, , but most guys out of the top 10 will be paying there own way, id say most the sidecar teams would be like that too,

here is the prize money scale, 18K pounds is not that much,
https://sportscriber.com/money/isle-of-man-tt-prize-money/

by money being made, i meant by the riders and spectators spending money on accommodation meals etc, not so much the competitors making money

Post a reply to: Isle of Man TT

The Latest