Is what I just heard for real?? GP question

DanDunes818
4/25/2010 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 11:58am
I was just watching the GP replay and I just heard them talking about DP19's bike problem in Mantova .. At the last race in Mantova DP19 's subframe came apart in the moto and with that his exhaust came apart. What I just heard was he was docked a minute for a noise violation. Is that for real? It's not bad enough that his bike came apart and when he lost his exhaust he lost numerous horses and fell back from 5th to 15th. To add insult to injury the FIM docks him another minute on top of that because with no exhaust his bike was loud? .. You got to be kidding me? Penalties are made to dock people for not following the rules. Not to penalize someone for having a bike malfunction during the moto that was completely out of his control and left him with less power not more.

Please tell me I heard that wrong..
|
BobbyM
4/25/2010 9:05pm
if you can't keep yer bike in one piece...wtf?

and that rule is there for a reason....
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
4/25/2010 9:22pm
its true, plenty of motorsports will black flag you for exceeding noise limits for what ever reason, they like keeping there tracks open, not like the AMA which has been very slow in enforcing noise limits

kardy
4/25/2010 9:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2010 9:35pm
WTF is a DP19, and why do you pretend that everyone knows?
kevin204
Fantasy
3416th
4/25/2010 10:04pm
kardy wrote:
Anyone who knows anything about GP motocross knows who DP19 is. Those are the target audience of the question fielded by the OP.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
4/25/2010 10:04pm
Let's see...we're talking about a GP. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out that he's talking about David Phillipaerts.
bvm111
4/25/2010 10:10pm
thanks gibby for clearing that up... I was having a hard time figuring out who he was talking about...... Tongue
joe101uk
4/25/2010 10:27pm
The FIM are very strict on noise regulations. That's why i can't understand why they might be making acceptions for American riders at the USGP.
oldx
4/25/2010 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2010 10:31pm
joe101uk wrote:
The FIM are very strict on noise regulations. That's why i can't understand why they might be making acceptions for American riders at the USGP.
It's all about money. And yes it sucks.
rc4187
4/25/2010 10:35pm
joe101uk wrote:
no US racers would show up if they had to do a bunch of testing to get a good setup for one race.
Crush
4/26/2010 12:02am
Yeah I couldn't believe that they penalized him for that shit...

It's too their detriment too... Need to keep Phillaperts close to Cairoli for the title...

That shit wouldn't happen in a Feld operated series... And if it did, they'd reverse it...

Just sayin...
jo2910
4/26/2010 1:19am
I remember when Tortelli and Everts were going for the GP title there was something similar in brazil I think it was they crashed together and one of them lost a lot of points as the exhaust broke and I think it was Everts got docked some points which played a big role in the title chase.

Even more frustrating at the last Touquet which is grueling 3h race on the beach of normandy. This years winner lost on paper because due to damage during the race or just his exhaust getting worn out he exceeded the sound control after the race and the win went to second place Mickael Pichon. Very arsh when you just spent three hours riding like crazy in a giant sand pit.
jamma10
4/26/2010 1:48am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2010 1:49am
jo2910 wrote:
I remember when Tortelli and Everts were going for the GP title there was something similar in brazil I think it was they crashed together and...
I remember when Tortelli and Everts were going for the GP title there was something similar in brazil I think it was they crashed together and one of them lost a lot of points as the exhaust broke and I think it was Everts got docked some points which played a big role in the title chase.

Even more frustrating at the last Touquet which is grueling 3h race on the beach of normandy. This years winner lost on paper because due to damage during the race or just his exhaust getting worn out he exceeded the sound control after the race and the win went to second place Mickael Pichon. Very arsh when you just spent three hours riding like crazy in a giant sand pit.
Yeah that was ridiculous! Local guy too wasn't it? He was the local Butcher or something.
4/26/2010 5:10am
Euhm, in LE touquet, The guy was docked, because of noise, but he could have changed his silencer just like pichon did.
So he had the option, but didn't want to lose the time.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1267th
4/26/2010 5:15am
kardy wrote:
It's an AGV helmet wearing 2008 MX World Champion... Tongue
mxgeoff
4/26/2010 6:20am
joe101uk wrote:
The won't make acceptions. NOW WAY!!!!!!!!!!
DC
4/26/2010 6:26am
Geoff, was there any more news on the compromise at Valkenswaard? From what we've heard, the GP teams are not very happy about the rules changing for the sixth round, which is certainly understandable.

DC
MX Sports
joe101uk
4/26/2010 6:45am
joe101uk wrote:
mxgeoff wrote:
The won't make acceptions. NOW WAY!!!!!!!!!!
I hope not. I heard that the FIM allowed this to happen at the Budds Creek des nations.
flarider
4/26/2010 6:49am
Doesn't every form of motor racing black flag and/or DQ equipment that doesn't comply to post race inspections?

If a wing is hanging off, F1 will black flag a car to come in for repairs, right? I seem to remember a car grinding off too much of the under plank (wooden board) on the rumble strips, and being DQ'd in post race tech.

Same in NASCAR and pretty much every motorsport, if equipment is damaged, whether in a crash or not, and is then non-compliant within the rules, it is black flagged to come in for repairs or DQ'd upon completion of the race and/or post race tech inspection.

If you allow exceptions for "malfunctions" I promise you I can wrap a silencer to blow out within a lap or so....does that fall under "malfunction?" If not, why not?

Bottom line, if your equipment becomes non-compliant during the race, your equipment is not compliant, otherwise we can all rig equipment to malfunction mid-race.

"Oops, damn silencer fell off again"
DanDunes818
4/26/2010 2:23pm
Yeah I understand that they black flag people in most motorsports for violating noise rules. The problem I have is they let the guy race the whole race while 1/2 his bike was falling apart and then later penalized him 1 min. why not just black flag him and save him the frustration of trying to finish the heat with a bike falling apart on him.
ayearinmx
4/26/2010 2:27pm
because he still got 2pts from that race.... and while it was only 2pts, that could prove crucial down the line
RACEGUY
4/26/2010 2:34pm
Silencer/exhaust failure - broken subframe - both are blackflags in most ruleboks.
The Rock
4/26/2010 5:30pm
DC wrote:
Geoff, was there any more news on the compromise at Valkenswaard? From what we've heard, the GP teams are not very happy about the rules changing...
Geoff, was there any more news on the compromise at Valkenswaard? From what we've heard, the GP teams are not very happy about the rules changing for the sixth round, which is certainly understandable.

DC
MX Sports
What rules change are you referring to exactly?
Alex
4/26/2010 5:41pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2010 5:48pm
FIM are 'considering' wavering their fuel/sound rules for AMA riders for GH for the first year (like they did in Budds Creek 99). It seems that a pretty big barrier to competing is the extra cost/testing to produce a quieter bike that runs on different fuel just for 1 race. I can see why the FIM want the first US GP to work but I also see it makes a bit of a mockery of the rules and the good achievements that have been made in Europe regarding lowering sound levels. I asked a GP Team manager what difference US Fuel would make to power and he said its 2bhp straight away. Add in a less resticted exhaust and the advantage is big even over 'Works' bikes (theyre not proper works bikes anymore).
flarider
4/26/2010 5:46pm
DC wrote:
Geoff, was there any more news on the compromise at Valkenswaard? From what we've heard, the GP teams are not very happy about the rules changing...

DC
MX Sports
The Rock wrote:
Basically pitching the GP/FIM rulebook in favor of the AMA/FIM (RE: AMA SX Rules).
As said above, primary differences would be allowable sound levels (GP bikes have to be quieter, more muffled) and fuel (AMA allows a higher octane).
mxav8r
4/26/2010 5:47pm
kardy wrote:
LOL NICE!!!!
The Rock
4/26/2010 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:25pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
The Rock wrote:
flarider wrote:
Basically pitching the GP/FIM rulebook in favor of the AMA/FIM (RE: AMA SX Rules). As said above, primary differences would be allowable sound levels (GP bikes...
Basically pitching the GP/FIM rulebook in favor of the AMA/FIM (RE: AMA SX Rules).
As said above, primary differences would be allowable sound levels (GP bikes have to be quieter, more muffled) and fuel (AMA allows a higher octane).
Fuel and sound are major issues? Please.

I'm not a fuel expert but how hard would it be for teams to run different mufflers? Before even going there a lot of the teams were able to meet the 115 db level of the 2 M Max test at the open 2 M Max testing held before A3.

I'll exit stage left and let everyone who wants to point out the negatives of the USGP carry on.....meanwhile I will forget about the political undercurrent at work here and just enjoy the race.
500guy
4/26/2010 7:52pm
The Rock wrote:
flarider wrote:
Basically pitching the GP/FIM rulebook in favor of the AMA/FIM (RE: AMA SX Rules). As said above, primary differences would be allowable sound levels (GP bikes...
The Rock wrote:
Fuel and sound are major issues? Please. I'm not a fuel expert but how hard would it be for teams to run different mufflers? Before even...
Fuel and sound are major issues? Please.

I'm not a fuel expert but how hard would it be for teams to run different mufflers? Before even going there a lot of the teams were able to meet the 115 db level of the 2 M Max test at the open 2 M Max testing held before A3.

I'll exit stage left and let everyone who wants to point out the negatives of the USGP carry on.....meanwhile I will forget about the political undercurrent at work here and just enjoy the race.
You got it buddy, the political under current is coming from Youthstream and Dr Bud.

but keep that wool up over your eye's if it makes you feel good.
The Rock
4/26/2010 8:01pm
500guy wrote:
You got it buddy, the political under current is coming from Youthstream and Dr Bud. but keep that wool up over your eye's if it makes...
You got it buddy, the political under current is coming from Youthstream and Dr Bud.

but keep that wool up over your eye's if it makes you feel good.
Examples please.
cpj36
4/26/2010 8:01pm
So, with a broken muffler Phillapert's bike became as fast as an AMA production bike? Why bother?

Couldn't the GP bikes run the same fuel and louder mufflers for the U.S round?

Do the GP teams really view the db limit as an advantage for the AMA bikes? AMA teams and riders seem to feel the same about competing against works bikes, let alone having to run fuel and exhaust they don't normally use.
need love
4/26/2010 8:05pm
if ya take the DP out of the OP and put the IP into the TE you get the UY that can confuse the IO in the LP due to the( OJ did you say BRONCO)

Post a reply to: Is what I just heard for real?? GP question

The Latest