Is this a different Tomac??

SWOHIO GUY
2/9/2020 4:29pm
Im a big Tomac fan, one of the most frustrating things I have seen over the years is to watch him get stuck behind slower riders for several laps and not get a pass made. After watching the race again, I think he was the guilty party in the Barcia deal. Why was he trying to make the pass there knowing he would have to roll the finish? It's his new kamikaze passing style where he will just dive in and make it happen if there is any sort opening.

I think the reason is he has a new aggressive mentality of making passes that he has need for years, especially in Supercross. When he has passed Roczen, AC, Barcia this season and even Webb last year in Denver and NJ he has done it with authority and has been very aggressive doing it. I think this is the main reason combined with better starts and more speed that he is going to take the championship. He can hear the clock ticking on his championship window and he needs to be way more aggressive than he ever has been.
|
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
2/9/2020 4:46pm
i like what i see. Webb and Roczen have the best racecraft imo. Webb is insanely good at block passing/getting in the way of the rider he's trying to pass. Eli has gotten better this year and he needs to maintain it if he wants a shot at the chip.
2/9/2020 4:59pm
I thought a different Tomac shows up at every race....you never know what you're going to get.

Crush
2/9/2020 5:08pm
He's been pretty efficient with his passes this year.
kpiper
2/9/2020 5:47pm
Passing quickly has always been a problem for him unless he was in beast mode on a track that was good for passing.

So he needs to be aggressive. The fastest rider on the track should pass people with authority.

Plus, we know (and the other riders know) if you mess around with Eli he often loses his momentum. That is exactly what happened with the Barcia back and forth. It stalled his charge.

BUT his horrible starts are what dooms him from ever winning a SX championship. Those were two horrible starts last night....as usual I hate to say. Wonder why he is so bad?

The Shop

soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
2/9/2020 5:56pm
kpiper wrote:
Passing quickly has always been a problem for him unless he was in beast mode on a track that was good for passing. So he needs...
Passing quickly has always been a problem for him unless he was in beast mode on a track that was good for passing.

So he needs to be aggressive. The fastest rider on the track should pass people with authority.

Plus, we know (and the other riders know) if you mess around with Eli he often loses his momentum. That is exactly what happened with the Barcia back and forth. It stalled his charge.

BUT his horrible starts are what dooms him from ever winning a SX championship. Those were two horrible starts last night....as usual I hate to say. Wonder why he is so bad?
he was getting good starts the last 3 or 4 rounds, not holey's but top 5. He's been doing well when picking the inside gate(s). Because last night start was a 90 degree turn, and he didn't get a good jump he couldn't sneak around the inside as well as he had been.

kpiper
2/9/2020 6:02pm
soggy wrote:
he was getting good starts the last 3 or 4 rounds, not holey's but top 5. He's been doing well when picking the inside gate(s). Because...
he was getting good starts the last 3 or 4 rounds, not holey's but top 5. He's been doing well when picking the inside gate(s). Because last night start was a 90 degree turn, and he didn't get a good jump he couldn't sneak around the inside as well as he had been.

I don't really agree he was getting good starts. He snuck around the inside (As RC4 was telling him to do since A1) but his "start" was still not good in my view.

I feel bad for him actually but it is inexplicable that the fastest guy (for many years now) can't consistently start well.

Bad starts have cost him multiple championships.
kkawboy14
2/9/2020 6:11pm
SWOHIO GUY wrote:
Im a big Tomac fan, one of the most frustrating things I have seen over the years is to watch him get stuck behind slower riders...
Im a big Tomac fan, one of the most frustrating things I have seen over the years is to watch him get stuck behind slower riders for several laps and not get a pass made. After watching the race again, I think he was the guilty party in the Barcia deal. Why was he trying to make the pass there knowing he would have to roll the finish? It's his new kamikaze passing style where he will just dive in and make it happen if there is any sort opening.

I think the reason is he has a new aggressive mentality of making passes that he has need for years, especially in Supercross. When he has passed Roczen, AC, Barcia this season and even Webb last year in Denver and NJ he has done it with authority and has been very aggressive doing it. I think this is the main reason combined with better starts and more speed that he is going to take the championship. He can hear the clock ticking on his championship window and he needs to be way more aggressive than he ever has been.
He’s on a good track right now! Tight tracks don’t suit him that’s why he was surprised he won last week.
side-pipe
Fantasy
3277th
2/9/2020 6:23pm
I watched as him and Roczen got bad starts and spotted something but I don't know if Tomac knowingly did it or maybe it was a just a coincidence.

He seemed to give Roczen his space at the beginning of the race. By doing that he avoided the 2 of them battling and slowing each other down. He knew Roczen would be aggresive in the opening laps and move people out of the way
for him. Once Roczen stopped moving forward Tomac went for the pass on Roczen.

If that was on purpose Kudos for him for being alert and smart after or horrible start.
2/10/2020 2:56am
side-pipe wrote:
I watched as him and Roczen got bad starts and spotted something but I don't know if Tomac knowingly did it or maybe it was a...
I watched as him and Roczen got bad starts and spotted something but I don't know if Tomac knowingly did it or maybe it was a just a coincidence.

He seemed to give Roczen his space at the beginning of the race. By doing that he avoided the 2 of them battling and slowing each other down. He knew Roczen would be aggresive in the opening laps and move people out of the way
for him. Once Roczen stopped moving forward Tomac went for the pass on Roczen.

If that was on purpose Kudos for him for being alert and smart after or horrible start.
I thought the same, I also think he didn’t go too balls out trying to get to the front, I think he was just happy being in front of Kenny.. also a very mature race outlook!
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
2/10/2020 3:11am
I m may be biased because i m a huge Tomac fan but despite of his bad starts, he look very strong to me. I think that will be a fight between Tomac and Webb. Roczen, when he say "I m just happy to be where i am" sounds like an admission of weakness in my opinion.
Motofinne
2/10/2020 3:15am
WCRider wrote:
I m may be biased because i m a huge Tomac fan but despite of his bad starts, he look very strong to me. I think...
I m may be biased because i m a huge Tomac fan but despite of his bad starts, he look very strong to me. I think that will be a fight between Tomac and Webb. Roczen, when he say "I m just happy to be where i am" sounds like an admission of weakness in my opinion.
I also think this will be a battle between Tomac and Webb. I would love to be proven wrong but it wouldn't be the first time Roczen has a really strong start to a SX season and eventually fades away from a title battle.
davistld01
2/10/2020 6:26am
I thought a different Tomac shows up at every race....you never know what you're going to get.

Eli Tomac...the "box of chocolates" of Supercross.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
2/10/2020 7:25am
soggy wrote:
he was getting good starts the last 3 or 4 rounds, not holey's but top 5. He's been doing well when picking the inside gate(s). Because...

kpiper wrote:
I don't really agree he was getting good starts. He snuck around the inside (As RC4 was telling him to do since A1) but his "start"...
I don't really agree he was getting good starts. He snuck around the inside (As RC4 was telling him to do since A1) but his "start" was still not good in my view.

I feel bad for him actually but it is inexplicable that the fastest guy (for many years now) can't consistently start well.

Bad starts have cost him multiple championships.
I mean if your consistently puttung yourself in a position to be top 5 coming out of the first turn that's good. doesnt matter how you do it.

I thought it was interesting RC said that and ever since Eli has lined up inside. Dont think it works quite as well with a 90 degree first turn though.
TDeath21
2/10/2020 8:40am
What are you talking about? On that pass, Barcia had already gotten aggressive with him and Tomac controlled the inside. Barcia should have let up. Instead he stayed in it and tried to squeeze Tomac down. Tomac held his line, as he should. I saw nothing wrong there.
Spudnut
2/10/2020 9:28am

Life is like a box of tomac
downard254
2/10/2020 10:23am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2020 10:24am

So what you're saying is, he's like a box of chocolates.

Edit: I should have read down through before posting that. Lot's of Gump's in here. LOL

Post a reply to: Is this a different Tomac??

The Latest