Is this a Trip down Memory lane for some of you ?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/23/2019 10:14 AM

Photo
Photo
|

10/23/2019 10:16 AM

A little before my time but it seems like racing those
In a class just for them would be really fun.

|

10/23/2019 10:32 AM

first true lovekissing kissing kissing

|

10/23/2019 10:37 AM

mauidex wrote:

Did you race them ?

|

10/23/2019 10:48 AM

mauidex wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:

Did you race them ?

yeah first "real" bike after lawn mower motor minibikes!!!

|

10/23/2019 10:58 AM

mauidex wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:

Did you race them ?

mauidex wrote:

Fun times I'm sure. What did most people get when they moved up from these?

|

10/23/2019 11:06 AM

Had the pre-curser to that bike. 72 SL70. Those XRs were special at that time

|

10/23/2019 11:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2019 12:16 PM

Tarz483 wrote:

Did you race them ?

mauidex wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:

This was same time as Honda introduced the Elsinore and all the Japanese companies moved in with 100 and 125 2 strokes. Don’t remember the year but also Yamaha introduced a yz85 2 stroke and that was pretty much the end of xr’s dominating mini class. I went to a Suzuki tm 125

|

10/23/2019 11:56 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

Did you race them ?

mauidex wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:

i had one of these and loved it! Never raced it, used it mostly for riding trails (grew up in Oregon). Went from that bike that no power what so ever to a built YZ80 race bike. Was a bit of an adjustment silly

|

10/23/2019 12:06 PM

mauidex wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:

Motox627! wrote:

i had one of these and loved it! Never raced it, used it mostly for riding trails (grew up in Oregon). Went from that bike ...more

Same, went from the XR to an RM80. I guess you could say I’ve come full circle, after 35yrs of 2strokes I converted back to 4strokes. I’ve still got the XR and am planning to do a full resto on it in the near future.

|

10/23/2019 12:09 PM

I went from a Yamaha mini enduro 60
Photo

To a 1974 Honda CR125 Elsinore at age 10.
Photo

|

10/23/2019 12:17 PM

Tarz483 wrote:

Motox627! wrote:

i had one of these and loved it! Never raced it, used it mostly for riding trails (grew up in Oregon). Went from that bike ...more

reded wrote:

Same, went from the XR to an RM80. I guess you could say I’ve come full circle, after 35yrs of 2strokes I converted back to ...more

I did the same..... Now at 38 and only getting to ride a few times a month, 4 stroke is just much easier for me to go fast on..

I would love to have some of the bikes i had growing up, the XR included. That should be a fun project!

|

10/23/2019 12:21 PM

Christ l wanted one of these sooooooo bad. I tried saving my allowance but a dollar a week and some change for extra chores didn't seem to build up very fast.

After a few months l broke and went to Knotts Berry Farm with my friends with the money.

I am a disappointment.

|

10/23/2019 12:25 PM

Absolutely, I was a skinny 12 year old kid at the time and that bike (my cousins bike) was so much fun. Would love to restore one if the urge hits me. Hey Tarz...how are your twins doing ? and hope all is well with your family.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

10/23/2019 12:34 PM

Yes! Neighbor had an xr75 red tank. I had a crappy sl70. Front brake lever was broken off and back tire was bald. Back then, that's just how everyone rode too.

|

10/23/2019 12:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2019 2:28 PM

'Trip down memory lane?'- thats for sure. Remember it like yesterday- remember there were quite a few of them... aah the sound! Remember the earlier Grey ones but more so the red ones. You had the XR75's to begin with then the slightly later XR80's.
A few of the kids who had them over here were real quick and had 'special ones' - like what Wardy had- well maybe not quite as good as his but prettty damn trick.

RM80's and YZ80's killed them off pretty much with possibly the KX80 also soon after appearing (maybe 1978-9 odd?) also but they seemed less popular than the YZ80 and RM80. I recall the best bike was probably the RM80B(I think) though which seemed to have the legs on the YZ80. This would have been like 1976-1978 odd. Think by sort of 1979 they (the XR's) were starting to disappear.

We also had Moto Aspes over here from like 1974 - 1979 maybe and quite a few of the really quick lads had those- in my eyes the Aspes was the trickest and far most exotic bike available at the time, with big old finned cylinders and some of them had like 1970's 'glitter finish' tanks! Also some of the Aspes had big wheels. Also the Italjets should be mentioned- all around that sort of time- some of them were rocket ships not too disimilar to the Aspes- but the Aspes in my eyes was the most exotic and trick. They were expensive though. Still love the Aspes now !

Great thread and took me back to the 'good ol' days'. Also great idea to have a racing class for these! That would be something.

More than a few threads on the XR75 and XR80 in Old School Moto and some guys who have some well tricked out ones!
Just that I guess alot of us maybe a little to big to race them now and would think most people regard them as quite precious rather than belting the hell out of the poor little things on a track!
I had an XR80 about 15 years ago- so wished I kept it but didn't have the time and abilities to do it justice and restore it, so I sold it for peanuts! Oh dear! Gorgeous little bikes for sure and highly collectable.

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one

10/23/2019 1:23 PM

Photo
1974 XR 75 -
I was 12 years old.
Racetrack is Smith Road Raceway in Medina, Ohio

The XR was my first real Minicycle and it set the hook.
My parents made the deal that if I got good grades they'd get me the bike.
So, I'd finish up my home work every evening and then ride my bicycle to the Honda store, tell the salesman I'm getting one of these and then sit on it and fondle until closing.
I had a 5HP MTD minibike with a centrifugal clutch & band brakes.
It was fun and all but getting the XR set the stone as a Motocrosser
I Loved that bike
The Mission Viejo Honda jersey and Full Bore boots were my prize possessions emulating Jeff Ward.
The helmet and gloves were from Falcon, the mouth guard - Jofa.
My mom made the pants .....

|

10/23/2019 2:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2019 3:04 PM

That pic above is way cool! Look pretty quick also and the no 2 is a cool number to have! Yes- looks quite like Wardy! God yea- those jofa face guards- I used to kind of dribble on mine when I was concentrating and would wash it down between races!

I remember there seemed a period maybe like 1976-78 where the quick lads who had the XR's and were winning on them and other kids actually sold their TM75's/ RM80's and YZ80's to get an XR. All because the quick kids were winning on them and they thought they were better. Probably weren't really and expect the quick kids would have won on mopeds anyway!
Remember there was a very quick kid who had a well trick XR75 and think had quite a few special bits on it- thing used to really snarl when he revved it and sounded alot meaner than standard XR's. Seem to think he may have had one of the first ones or the very first one in UK and it had some special stuff on it. That kid probably helped sell a ton of XR's as he won alot and then many of the other kids started getting them.

|

10/23/2019 3:08 PM

No Monster branding back then...just the one's we created in our head and couldn't run away fast enough in our dreams. lol. Great pic by Sharc.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

10/23/2019 3:11 PM

Was just a tad too young for one of those, so I started on an Italjet. God minicycle racing was so much cooler then..... glad I got to be a part of it.

|

10/23/2019 3:15 PM

My first bikePhoto

|

10/23/2019 3:17 PM

Sharc wrote: Photo
1974 XR 75 -
I was 12 years old.

The XR was my first real Minicycle and it ...more

That's the kinda story that makes growing up in that era so cool..... Awesome stuff! BTW, my first boots were Fullbore, my Dad ordered the smallest ones they made, and they were still 2 sizes too big. He told Mom, "room to grow"..... It was the 70's, and I was only 4. Times sure have changed.....

|

10/23/2019 3:18 PM

dadofagun wrote:

Was just a tad too young for one of those, so I started on an Italjet. God minicycle racing was so much cooler then..... glad ...more

I started in 83 and there was only 1 or 2 italjets around but one was ridden by on the country’s young guns so it looked so cool and fast.

|

10/23/2019 3:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2019 3:28 PM

ledger wrote:

No Monster branding back then...just the one's we created in our head and couldn't run away fast enough in our dreams. lol. ...more

Hahah- yes- no internut- no anything hardly!!

I always said in those days we had like a football, a bicycle, 3 TV channels (colour TV if you were lucky) and if you were REALLY lucky and your folks had a few quid(dollars) you may have been so blessed to have a motorbike!

God we didn't know how lucky we were!

A few of the kids at school were quite jealous that I had racing bikes! One got upset and he actually started crying and said he wished his Dad could buy him a bike like mine but didn't have enough money. Poor kid- me and my mate felt sorry for him and told him we would make him a bike... he asked how and we told him we would make it out of WOOD!! unsureermm We never did (luckily, as the poor mite would have probably injured himself on a wooden motorcycle hand crafted by 7 year olds) but it stopped him crying at the time... ahahh happy days!!

Yep didn't know how lucky I was really!smile

|

10/23/2019 3:20 PM

YES!!....Yes it is Tarz! My very first real dirtbike , was my 1975 XR75. Living out in the country with some miles in between friends houses , I lived on my bike. I remember being able just about fill my tank for $0.50. Some of my best ever riding memories were on that bike. I felt like I could go any where on it.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

10/23/2019 3:52 PM

Yep! My first bike was a 1974 XR 75. (I got it in 1980.) Looked similar to that one.

|

10/23/2019 4:02 PM

I have one in a shed that will be restored. My younger brother had one I had a 125 Elsinore.
We had many places to ride and many tracks to race on back then and it was truly affordable,I bought my Elsinore with paper route money. It was the golden age of dirt biking.

|

10/23/2019 4:33 PM

I have this 73. Original down to the tires. Bassani pipe makes a big bike noise.
Sharc's action photo is awesome.

Photo

Photo

|

10/23/2019 5:06 PM

Sharc wrote: Photo
1974 XR 75 -
I was 12 years old.

The XR was my first real Minicycle and it ...more

Very cool. This is the memory we’re chasing all these years later. Good stuff.

|

10/23/2019 5:44 PM

Yes, for sure. Good memories ! Started in the mid seventies on my older cousins XR. He later would let me borrow his 74 XL100 enduro bike in the late 70’s. If it wasn’t for him & Evel Knievel I probably wouldn’t have gotten into dirt bikes.

Thnxz for posting Tarz..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.