Is there a "go fast" gene?

TomZ
Fantasy
4294th
3/21/2013 4:05pm
I meant to add testicular fortitude to the list of attributes in my previous post.

Although I am not as studied as Thomas Jefferson it seems that he doesn't have knowledge of this particular physiological trait.
Hank_Thrill
3/21/2013 5:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2013 7:33pm
I read some of this thread last night and thought it was a really cool discussion.

For everyone offended by Thomas Jefferson, he may have drafted the declaration of independence, but he clearly doesn't know the definition of eugenics. Nobody here is calling for selectively breading portions of the human population to create the next Ricky Carmichael. If they did, GuyB must have deleted it. Still not sure how that conclusion was jumped to.

Anyways, very cool and thought provoking thread, Titan1. What Shaun142 said really stood out to me: people who are fast are generally fast from an early age. I remember Robbie Reynard's sister once saying how others perceive Robbie as a natural talent and how effortless he made riding look. She was quick to point out that's how it appeared from the outside looking in, but spoke of the years of practice and dedication it took in order for him to make riding appear so effortless. She worded it much more gracefully than this butchered paraphrase, which left me thinking, "Wow, that was one of the raddest posts I've ever read!"
Choppy
3/21/2013 5:36pm
I read some of this thread last night and thought it was a really cool discussion. For everyone offended by Thomas Jefferson, he may have drafted...
I read some of this thread last night and thought it was a really cool discussion.

For everyone offended by Thomas Jefferson, he may have drafted the declaration of independence, but he clearly doesn't know the definition of eugenics. Nobody here is calling for selectively breading portions of the human population to create the next Ricky Carmichael. If they did, GuyB must have deleted it. Still not sure how that conclusion was jumped to.

Anyways, very cool and thought provoking thread, Titan1. What Shaun142 said really stood out to me: people who are fast are generally fast from an early age. I remember Robbie Reynard's sister once saying how others perceive Robbie as a natural talent and how effortless he made riding look. She was quick to point out that's how it appeared from the outside looking in, but spoke of the years of practice and dedication it took in order for him to make riding appear so effortless. She worded it much more gracefully than this butchered paraphrase, which left me thinking, "Wow, that was one of the raddest posts I've ever read!"
I thought the exact same thing.
qtrracer
3/21/2013 6:51pm
Yeah believing there is a "go fast gene" makes it way easier to rationalize being slow doesn't it? If going fast was easy everyone would do it.

The Shop

haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
3/21/2013 8:22pm
What about the amount of super fast siblings that we've seen throughout the years. Is the reason for that as simple as having a competitive relationship 24/7 and driving each other to become faster and faster or is there some genetics involved here?

Or fast father son combos? Can that be attributed to having a skilled and experienced rider to pass on knowledge everytime you ride or is a portion of that due to genes also?
ridge
3/21/2013 9:11pm
I think whatever it is that makes some guys really fast, is the same thing that can get them in a lot of trouble. Aggression and confidence.

The desire to be faster than everyone else is how they put aside fear and overcome pain. Practicing at the edge from an early age (aggression) teaches their brains to process faster. The more chances they take and get away with it, the more their confidence grows.
Choppy
3/21/2013 11:19pm
haydos25 wrote:
What about the amount of super fast siblings that we've seen throughout the years. Is the reason for that as simple as having a competitive relationship...
What about the amount of super fast siblings that we've seen throughout the years. Is the reason for that as simple as having a competitive relationship 24/7 and driving each other to become faster and faster or is there some genetics involved here?

Or fast father son combos? Can that be attributed to having a skilled and experienced rider to pass on knowledge everytime you ride or is a portion of that due to genes also?
Nature vs nurture always boils down to a bit of both.

It's always the amount that is argued.
Lone Wolf
3/22/2013 5:03am
brocster wrote:
^Illusory superiority
"Thomas Jefferson" suffers delusions of grandeur.

He does seem to know a lot of technical stuff about bikes, though. Am I right in assuming that some posts were deleted?
slipdog
3/22/2013 5:55am
Lone Wolf wrote:
"Thomas Jefferson" suffers delusions of grandeur. He does seem to know a lot of technical stuff about bikes, though. Am I right in assuming that some...

He does seem to know a lot of technical stuff about bikes, though. Am I right in assuming that some posts were deleted?
They all appear to be there with a little self-editing. IMO, bringing up the idea of race as a reason one person is better than another can never go in a good direction.
Hman144
Fantasy
798th
3/22/2013 6:56am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2013 6:57am
Years ago I did a mini interview with TP199 and we played a little game I call "this or that". I give the interviewee a choice between two things, and they are supposed to choose one. For example, tacos or cheeseburgers?, rap or rock?, mud or dust?, etc.

One of the choices was"talent or practice?".

He said, "both".

H
3/22/2013 7:37am
Lone Wolf wrote:
"Thomas Jefferson" suffers delusions of grandeur. He does seem to know a lot of technical stuff about bikes, though. Am I right in assuming that some...

My original post, which really set him off is heavily edited. For transparency purposes I should have kept it original.

Slipdog:
bringing up the idea of race as a reason one person is better than another can never go in a good direction.

I completely agree, it's foolish to say that one person is better than another because of race. But in the aggregate, at the highest levels of competition where aberrancy is the norm, disproportionate representations are undeniably apparent. To deny this is just as ignorant as purporting to know the cause.

This thread is specifically dedicated to discussing genetic differences.

I felt that as long as we keept the discussion openminded and hate free we could enjoy rational discourse -- it took me about five minutes to realize this was impossible.
slipdog
3/22/2013 9:39am
"I felt that as long as we keept the discussion openminded and hate free we could enjoy rational discourse "

Even with the best intentions(which I don't doubt that you had), that will always be a difficult topic to discuss. I think that may have been what the former president was getting at, in his own way.

Post a reply to: Is there a "go fast" gene?

The Latest