Is the glorification of Ronnie Mac good or bad for the sport?

MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
10/21/2017 9:06pm
If he wads pretty bad it's not that great of an idea, but seeing as how he doesn't it's almost too good to be true
ledger
10/21/2017 9:14pm
He's a legend, ya know....Like Decoster, Hannah and The Goat. It's all in good fun, until he run's out of PBRB.
RPM68
10/21/2017 9:53pm
how about all you pussies complaining about him take in the fact that he ate shit pretty hard and kept racing. No avoiding MXON, NO not finishing the last 2 Motos after crashing in monster cup. He lined up and did the ultra wheelie landing heading into the gator pit, further displaying his giant fortitude of testicals that snowflakes can't comprehend.

Also, he did make it to the finals ahead of RV, like, holy fuck.

And Stank Dog won. Holy shit. Merica.
dirtmike86
10/21/2017 10:03pm
I just got home from the race and all day he had the biggest crowd. Act or not. It reminded me of 90s moto. RBSR is by far better then sx. I got to see and talk to riders that would have cost hours of waiting in line to talk to. There is no denying that ronnie drew the biggest crowd.He put on a show, and thats what i paid for.

The Shop

toroP
10/21/2017 10:16pm
He's a clown. Literally. Some people like clowns. It has a long tradition.

No problem. As long as doesn't become a fixture in SX/MX.

willie838
10/22/2017 2:01am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2017 2:01am
yeah....somebody having fun riding dirt bikes and giving the fans a good time- definitely bad for the sport.

better off being a robotic dungey clone spouting off your sponsors 1,2,3,4,5 with zero personality being displayed- that's what is good for the sport.

That is what really shows outsiders, sponsors and viewers just how fun dirt bike racing and riding can be. yawn.

-----

some people don't get it. Cult of personality is what brings more eyes to the sport.

mcgregor in the ufc- there are guys that have done more against better competition than he will ever face......do most people know their names? nope. But everyone knows who connor mcgregor is.

And Pastrana is still the most overall known mxer in the world, and he accomplished a fraction of what the best riders did.........

----

if that 57,000 attendance number is true for rbsr?

people in the know ought to pay attention to desire for 2 strokes that is right in front of their face.

-----

the sport will be fine regardless of what ronnie mac does, and your lawn will be fine whether the kids cut across it or not old man gustafson, relax.
10/22/2017 2:08am
Its an inside joke that new people wont understand at first. They never said he was not a real person on the rbsr coverage. Confusing if you arent in the know
Paul333
10/22/2017 4:38am
Overthinking it

Not only is he funny but he proved he can ride as well.
mxstate
10/22/2017 4:47am
Don't want to derail this thread. I think R Mac is fine . And who can argue the performance for a "non relevant" race?
It can't hurt the sport. Maybe will even show some that you can have fun on an non FI/E-start, $11,000 toy
Come on!!! a 98 CR250.

Now on the same topic about hurting or promoting the sport, how about that?
Frankie must have been like "whatever..."

Sorry poor quality screenshot but clear enough to see that Hansen if offering to clean Marvin's nose...

tobz
10/22/2017 5:29am
willie838 wrote:
yeah....somebody having fun riding dirt bikes and giving the fans a good time- definitely bad for the sport. better off being a robotic dungey clone spouting...
yeah....somebody having fun riding dirt bikes and giving the fans a good time- definitely bad for the sport.

better off being a robotic dungey clone spouting off your sponsors 1,2,3,4,5 with zero personality being displayed- that's what is good for the sport.

That is what really shows outsiders, sponsors and viewers just how fun dirt bike racing and riding can be. yawn.

-----

some people don't get it. Cult of personality is what brings more eyes to the sport.

mcgregor in the ufc- there are guys that have done more against better competition than he will ever face......do most people know their names? nope. But everyone knows who connor mcgregor is.

And Pastrana is still the most overall known mxer in the world, and he accomplished a fraction of what the best riders did.........

----

if that 57,000 attendance number is true for rbsr?

people in the know ought to pay attention to desire for 2 strokes that is right in front of their face.

-----

the sport will be fine regardless of what ronnie mac does, and your lawn will be fine whether the kids cut across it or not old man gustafson, relax.
Lol the irony is strong with this one.
wfo4ever
10/22/2017 5:38am
Ronnie Mac is great for the sport. He has a very big fan base and it just got a lot bigger after the RBSR. He is very fast, WFO style on a 20 year old 2-Stroke and makes goon riding cool. RM69 proved you do not need the latest high tech new bike to be competitive or to have a good time riding. RBSR proved fans love anything 2-Stroke!!! RM69 could have quit after his crash at RBSR but he is not a pussy and did it for his fans, his pride, and his love of his country America. He proved he has very big balls by getting up and racing again (Georgia said RM69 has Big Balls). Ronnie Mac could smoke most everyone (me included) on this forum that does actually ride on that 20 year old 2-Stroke wearing a pair of overalls and riding like a goon with amazing speed. Sixty Nine Overalls will probably be the gear of choice at A1 and Loretta Lynns in 2018. Ronnie Mac is a Champion of the people!!!
kkawboy14
10/22/2017 6:01am
He could definitely tone down some of the content and still be funny/cool
mxb2
10/22/2017 6:39am
RPM68 wrote:
how about all you pussies complaining about him take in the fact that he ate shit pretty hard and kept racing. No avoiding MXON, NO not...
how about all you pussies complaining about him take in the fact that he ate shit pretty hard and kept racing. No avoiding MXON, NO not finishing the last 2 Motos after crashing in monster cup. He lined up and did the ultra wheelie landing heading into the gator pit, further displaying his giant fortitude of testicals that snowflakes can't comprehend.

Also, he did make it to the finals ahead of RV, like, holy fuck.

And Stank Dog won. Holy shit. Merica.
You still mad at Eli,. ? Lol.
Crush
10/22/2017 6:42am
Isn't the bigger question, where the fuck was this intensity from Jimmy when he raced?!

Holy shitballs. Turns out if he had have slid his butt forward, cut his chinbar and did a few air-wheelies he'd have dominated!
10/22/2017 6:54am
There is No way Moto fans are being turned away by Ron, If ..Ron..brings 1 fan into the sport were all better off.
tobz
10/22/2017 6:57am
kkawboy14 wrote:
He could definitely tone down some of the content and still be funny/cool
I dunno about toning it down, just seems like it'd probably make more sense if he was in his own exhibition class with a couple of other goon adversaries.
He's a wwe type personality that's halarious but having him in two classes as a proper rider was just a weird deal.
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
10/22/2017 7:06am
I had people calling me up..just about uncleronnie...that don't happen when I watch sx/mx...he should be at every race,
Robgvx
10/22/2017 7:18am
Its an inside joke that new people wont understand at first. They never said he was not a real person on the rbsr coverage. Confusing if...
Its an inside joke that new people wont understand at first. They never said he was not a real person on the rbsr coverage. Confusing if you arent in the know
This.

I have plenty of hardcore Moto friends who won't have the slightest idea who he is, or that he is a comedy caricature. If you're not into Internet Moto how would you? And if that isn't explained then they simply won't get it, and the end result will be negative IMO.

It would be far better if they explained the back-story.
NoeOrtiz
10/22/2017 7:20am
Man some people over think things just a little too much and don't enjoy anything. If you like Uncle Ronnie, then just enjoy some funny entertainment. If he was in supercross where it's a lot more serious, his character might not fit in so much. But RBSR is the perfect event for him to ride, the whole event is pretty much based around fun. I personally think it's a breath of fresh air having a guy like Ronnie Mac (Jimmy) in the mix. With all the boring star riders we have had with robot personalities (RV, Dungey, Tomac, etc..), it's nice to see riders have fun and not be just another boring rider.
tiddlermx23
10/22/2017 8:03am
Say what you want because I said it to before last night but the dude killed it on the track and with the fans. Only person he lost to was the guy sponsored by weed companies... What a time to be alive!
xr70
10/22/2017 8:45am
Respect for Ronni, he killed it on that 1998 clapper ! Guy is great in my opinion.
TeamGreen
10/22/2017 8:55am
I remember Andrew "Dice" Clay doing his thing onstage...in character...as...

The Diceman.

People without a sense of humor, people too caught up in the PC MENTALITY, feminists & those that take EVERYTHING waaaay too seriously, all of'em, LOST IT.

To me, it was hilarious. All of it, the Diceman's routine and the idiots that lost their damn minds...over a "character".
JM485
10/22/2017 8:57am
I love how a guy shows up on a 20 year old bike, with an open face helmet and overalls, gives up any kind of name recognition for himself, makes a full length video hyping the event, probably gives up a better finish in the 250 class if he was on a modern bike, goes down hard and comes back, and does it all just for the pure enjoyment and entertainment of the fans, and yet we still. . . STILL. . . have sticks in the mud on Vital talking crap about it behind their keyboard. Some of you guys seriously need to make like a lamp and lighten the hell up, I can't imagine being so angry and cynical all the time that I couldn't enjoy the legend that is Ronnie Mac.

Like TG says, some of y'all really need to get out and ride, or just have some fun once in a while.
brewrabb
10/22/2017 9:00am
A guy sporting the number 69, riding maybe the worst ever honda 2 stroke sporting "eat ass" on the swingarm, keeps the crowd roaring and the announcers on their toes - bad for the sport? No! He's a novelty but so is the whole event.
JB 19
10/22/2017 9:16am
Based on the number of pro riders and industry people who "like" his posts I'd say some guys around need to drink a beer and lighten up.

When Villopoto threw a cigarette on his ear for an interview I guess that was a degradation of society too.

Do I let my 8 year old and 6 old watch Ronnie Mac videos? No. Do I watch them and laugh? For sure.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
10/22/2017 9:22am
I would like to see Ronnie bike go up for sale way down the road and see what it goes for.
For sale 1998 fire breathing panty dropping wild stallion, here's your chance to be a real man...
F.B
10/22/2017 9:41am
JM485 wrote:
I love how a guy shows up on a 20 year old bike, with an open face helmet and overalls, gives up any kind of name...
I love how a guy shows up on a 20 year old bike, with an open face helmet and overalls, gives up any kind of name recognition for himself, makes a full length video hyping the event, probably gives up a better finish in the 250 class if he was on a modern bike, goes down hard and comes back, and does it all just for the pure enjoyment and entertainment of the fans, and yet we still. . . STILL. . . have sticks in the mud on Vital talking crap about it behind their keyboard. Some of you guys seriously need to make like a lamp and lighten the hell up, I can't imagine being so angry and cynical all the time that I couldn't enjoy the legend that is Ronnie Mac.

Like TG says, some of y'all really need to get out and ride, or just have some fun once in a while.
...and does it all just for the pure enjoyment and entertainment of the fans...

I have no problem with Ronnie Mac, but that's funny...
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
10/22/2017 10:23am
Funny I saw this thread last night and didn't think much about it. Well it's 10am, I'm at the track and see 2 Ronnie Mac looks alikes. They seems like decent riders and the track is pretty empty, but man it's been less than 24hours!

Post a reply to: Is the glorification of Ronnie Mac good or bad for the sport?

The Latest