Is the bloom starting to come off the Claw?

Edited Date/Time 8/2/2017 7:40am
So today may have portrayed an ominous cloud for motorsports. This year's Daytona 500 winner, Kurt Busch, driver for Stewart Haas Racing with sponsorship by Monster Energy was notified that his option year for 2018 wouldn't be picked up, effectively leaving him without a ride for next year.

Why is that a big deal for moto? Because we suck the Monster teat every chance we get. Not only is the Supercross series sponsored by Monster, but numerous riders have individual deals (just as others have with Red Bull or Rockstar). It seems that Monster is having second thoughts about sponsoring both the NASCAR series AND an individual driver/team.

This should be very concerning to our sport since we have both series and individual sponsorships by Monster. Of course, if we view recent history, lots of Ostrich behavior will ensue and everyone will say there aren't going to be any parallels. Good luck with that.

Pay particular attention to the part of the article about "What it means" . Kurt Busch out at Stewart Haas Racing

To add a little more moto flavor to this...Busch got this ride instead of Ricky Carmichael which effectively ended the GOAT's NASCAR experiment.
|
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
8/1/2017 9:22pm
RC was never in line for the Stewart/Haas spot, there wasnt even technically a spot, Gene Haas added a whole team without even discussing it with his partner Tony Stewart.

Monster moved their budget to Kyle Busch racing away from RC's racing because RC's results were not up to what Kyle Busch can do.

I don't think Monster is pulling out of Stewart/Haas, they are just going to hire a different driver for the 41 car.
olds cool
8/1/2017 9:26pm
Could be because Kurt has a certain amount of "baggage" and not picking up his option was an easy out.
8/1/2017 9:35pm
RC was never in line for the Stewart/Haas spot, there wasnt even technically a spot, Gene Haas added a whole team without even discussing it with...
RC was never in line for the Stewart/Haas spot, there wasnt even technically a spot, Gene Haas added a whole team without even discussing it with his partner Tony Stewart.

Monster moved their budget to Kyle Busch racing away from RC's racing because RC's results were not up to what Kyle Busch can do.

I don't think Monster is pulling out of Stewart/Haas, they are just going to hire a different driver for the 41 car.
Yep, you're right on the Busch brothers. I got my assholes mixed up.Laughing Must be a fun place for Thanksgiving.

I still think that we're going to see some sponsor issues in the very near future.

BTW, I spent the past 15 years helping companies distribute advertising dollars for the best ROI. It's a hard business to be in these days because there is not nearly the clear path that once existed and this is just one large social engineering experiment after another....It's like P.T. Barnum is running the advertising world these days.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/1/2017 9:38pm
Yep, you're right on the Busch brothers. I got my assholes mixed up.:laugh: Must be a fun place for Thanksgiving. I still think that we're going...
Yep, you're right on the Busch brothers. I got my assholes mixed up.Laughing Must be a fun place for Thanksgiving.

I still think that we're going to see some sponsor issues in the very near future.

BTW, I spent the past 15 years helping companies distribute advertising dollars for the best ROI. It's a hard business to be in these days because there is not nearly the clear path that once existed and this is just one large social engineering experiment after another....It's like P.T. Barnum is running the advertising world these days.
Oh, the irony of your last sentence.

The Shop

8/1/2017 10:18pm
Yep, you're right on the Busch brothers. I got my assholes mixed up.:laugh: Must be a fun place for Thanksgiving. I still think that we're going...

kzizok wrote:
Hey, at least the elephants are out of the room...
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/1/2017 10:23pm

kzizok wrote:
Hey, at least the elephants are out of the room...
Ha! Too bad the monkey's (Feld) are still in the room!
8/2/2017 3:15am
He hasn't lit the world on fire like they probably hoped he would. NASCAR numbers are also down across the board, and it's really expensive. And dealing with those brothers would probably make anyone want to poke their own eye out. I wouldn't read too much into this event.
motomike137
8/2/2017 3:54am
If monster goes away....Red Bull steps in.
You/we better hope so. Like it or not there are probably not big money sponsors lining up to invest in our sport or motorsports in general. We are lucky that these energy drink companies make a fortune off the swill that they produce and are willing to dump big bucks into racing.
aeffertz
8/2/2017 4:04am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2017 4:09am
Are you the guy saying we were doomed when Monster started sponsoring NASCAR?
kkawboy14
8/2/2017 4:35am
Bushs car budget is probably more than everything they spend on moto. Maybe that move will give them more to spend in moto
8/2/2017 5:36am
aeffertz wrote:
Are you the guy saying we were doomed when Monster started sponsoring NASCAR?
Nope.

I'm the guy saying that, today, for the first time I can remember, Monster is not spending sponsorship dollars like a drunken sailor on leave. I'm just saying they haven't shown for a lot of spending restraint in the past and we better hope that the newfound restraint doesn't hit moto.

To me, it smells like a bean counter move and those are never good for discretionary spending in the long run.
Steadman
8/2/2017 5:46am
Perhaps they figured out NASCAR is more of a beer drinking crowd??? I'm thinking Monster will be with SX/MX for awhile.
Swann
8/2/2017 5:57am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2017 6:01am
It would appear none of this nonsense is even confirmed and, in fact, the very team alleged to have dropped him is saying otherwise:

So why go aaaaaaallll the way to speculating that this will somehow impact motocross or is it just a slow forum day?

The article you referenced is an analysis piece (aka some dumbasses conjecture and speculation), not news. It even says at the bottom:

"Um, what the hell? Is Busch really out, or is this confusion driven by Monster’s unorthodox way of conducting business?"

Motocross is doomed. Blame the Russians. Where's the email server?
gnarwhip
8/2/2017 6:10am
Caffeine is a legal, highly addictive substance, as is sugar. Monster isn't going anywhere.
JustMX
8/2/2017 7:13am
gnarwhip wrote:
Caffeine is a legal, highly addictive substance, as is sugar. Monster isn't going anywhere.
I can remember hearing close to the same comment by an rj Reynolds rep in the show office at a late 80's supercross
wreckitrandy
8/2/2017 7:31am
gnarwhip wrote:
JustMX wrote:
I can remember hearing close to the same comment by an rj Reynolds rep in the show office at a late 80's supercross
Camel might still be around if Johnson and Ward would have had to hang a fake cigarette off their lip on the podium?!!!
motomike137
8/2/2017 7:39am
Swann wrote:
It would appear none of this nonsense is even confirmed and, in fact, the very team alleged to have dropped him is saying otherwise: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/02/207699/s1200_Screen_Shot_2017_08_02_at_7.55.07_AM.jpg[/img] So...
It would appear none of this nonsense is even confirmed and, in fact, the very team alleged to have dropped him is saying otherwise:

So why go aaaaaaallll the way to speculating that this will somehow impact motocross or is it just a slow forum day?

The article you referenced is an analysis piece (aka some dumbasses conjecture and speculation), not news. It even says at the bottom:

"Um, what the hell? Is Busch really out, or is this confusion driven by Monster’s unorthodox way of conducting business?"

Motocross is doomed. Blame the Russians. Where's the email server?
Word is that Stewart Haas still wants Busch but since Monster hasn't re upped they didn't exercise his option but will re negotiate with him depending on what they end up with for sponsorship $. Almost like the situation with Barcia when JGR switched to Suzook.
FWYT
8/2/2017 8:22am

Dave, where do you see it going (social media, advertising, content creation, etc).
Is it a bot world talking to other bots and the sheeple following along?
mauidex
8/2/2017 9:31am
Word is that Stewart Haas still wants Busch but since Monster hasn't re upped they didn't exercise his option but will re negotiate with him depending...
Word is that Stewart Haas still wants Busch but since Monster hasn't re upped they didn't exercise his option but will re negotiate with him depending on what they end up with for sponsorship $. Almost like the situation with Barcia when JGR switched to Suzook.
pretty sure the wrench thrown in is Monster getting out of the driver business..........SHR is hurting for sponsor dollars...Harvick was the only car out of 4 with full time space sold THIS year, and so far next year looking grim.

Monster is huge corp now with boards and big shareholders and if sales and profits slip even a little things start to get looked at and questions asked. Im sure logos on Hamilton cost more than the SX series alone but they got ALOT going on worldwide and there better be ROI to match.

High profile guys in moto, like PC and Kawasaki probably safe along with series and MEC I'd think as $$$$ most likely cheaper than 4 wheel anything, but still overall things not looking up for US motorsports!!UnsureUnsure
dirtdog36
8/2/2017 10:21am
side note. buddy of mine is an exec at auto trader... his quote on the JGR and MX in general was..."it has the demographics we are looking for". that was more important than how the team was doing...

the demos at NASCAR are not the same as SM/SX...
mxtech1
8/2/2017 10:36am
The original Monster-Feld deal in 2012 was worth an estimated $3.5 to $4 million and is good through 2016.

Tell me what that money has done for our sport??? Really think about it....how many positives have came from that deal as Monster the title sponsor? Very little!!! All of the money is going into Feld's pocket. They are selling advertisement space and that's it. It costs almost $1M for a 30 sec commercial during the super bowl. Monster gets HOURS of coverage every year straight to their target demo for less than $1M PER YEAR. Where else can a company get that much bang for their buck?

If Monster pulled out today, which riders aren't going to show up to race? I am willing to bet all of them will still be racing.

Everyone has this huge misconception that Monster (or any other title sponsor) is the life support for MX/SX. I feel that that is not correct because a large % of the money is going straight into the hands of Feld or the series promoter. How much is actually reinvested back into the series to make improvements? If anyone can actually answer this question, I would be extremely content

Sure - it costs money to put the shows on and there might need to be some cutbacks, or simply more frugality, within the sport, but guaranteed the show goes on whether Monster or Marlboro is the title sponsor.

Post a reply to: Is the bloom starting to come off the Claw?

The Latest