Is the WP suspension really that bad?

usafwx
Edited Date/Time 1/20/2016 4:57am
So I was looking at getting a KTM 150 SX for my next bike, love everything about it but always turned off by the bad reviews in regards to the suspension. I always send my stuff off to Factory Connection, was wondering will they still suck even after a revalve? Thanks in advance!
|
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
1/17/2016 10:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2016 10:35pm
No
Tonynz
1/17/2016 11:02pm
Not as bad as forums make it out to be.
Zachintosh
1/17/2016 11:04pm
I can't speak for the rest of the SX line, but I have a '16 150 SX and the suspension is great - predictable and plush.

The Shop

racerx317
1/17/2016 11:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2016 11:08pm
I'm assuming you're talking about the 2016 125/150. The shock on this bike is nothing short of amazing... It's simply the best shock I've ever seen including several A kit shocks we've used in the past. The 4cs forks can seem harsh if not set up correctly and are not A kit quality like the shock, but they can certainly be dialed in for a great balanced set.. Billy with Powerband Racing Suspension has this set up dialed in perfectly. After he revalved and resprung we simply worked with the sag and fork height to get exactly what we were looking for with this set up! Couldn't be happier!

Btw, the only other things we found to really make the bike rip were a JD Jetting kit that cleaned up the jetting off the bottom & mid and the bike keeps pulling forever up top. The other minor change that made a major difference was to add a G2 Ergonomics quick turn throttle. The stock throttle pull seemed overly long and the G2 Product fixed that real quick!

Hope that helps! Great bike to say the least!
1/18/2016 12:58am
If your coming from yamahas, yes their will be a big adjustment not so much the shock, definitely the plushness of the forks
chuckdavies
1/18/2016 1:07am
Been honda for 5 years, never ran anything apart from bone stock suspension (barely even clicker changes from stock), so i'm really not a fussy rider when it comes to suspension, but...

Switched to husky for this year (4cs fork/new ktm-husky shock) and i'm at the stage i don't want to go out on it. I believe that with work you could get the shock better, although Husky admitted that many pistons are machined too large for the shock body and seizing up - probably why mine feeels so bad), and the forks are horrendous, so harsh on the bumps!

It's a little different to you guys in america where lots of your tracks are like motorways with jumps but not many bumps, compared to the rough tracks i'm riding on in the UK, but i couldnt describe how bad the forks feel.

I now have some aftermarket suspension on the way which i hope will fix the problem!
1/18/2016 3:24am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2016 8:20am
It's absolutely positively terrible, in stock application. Or maybe it's bad because SSS is so much better.....
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
1/18/2016 4:34am
Stock spring KYB kinda ruins all other suspension out there.

I think it should be mandatory that when you make a suspension comment on a forum, that you post a video of you riding said suspension. Its 2016, HD cameras on phones now... post it up. I believe that one needs a certain about of basic technique/skill to give credible feedback. But 100% of the comments on suspension are opinion, that opinion I believe is skewed by what they read, viscous cycle.

KTMShane699
1/18/2016 6:05am
The lighter weight and less powerful 150 makes the forks work better than they do on the four strokes. But the forks aren't "great" by any means.

Everyone has a take on what the solution is ranging from revalve to tossing them. Where you fall on the range is up to you.

Shane
racerx317
1/18/2016 6:50am
Markee wrote:
Stock spring KYB kinda ruins all other suspension out there. I think it should be mandatory that when you make a suspension comment on a forum...
Stock spring KYB kinda ruins all other suspension out there.

I think it should be mandatory that when you make a suspension comment on a forum, that you post a video of you riding said suspension. Its 2016, HD cameras on phones now... post it up. I believe that one needs a certain about of basic technique/skill to give credible feedback. But 100% of the comments on suspension are opinion, that opinion I believe is skewed by what they read, viscous cycle.

I'll be glad to post some video up. You should post some up as well. I should have got some this weekend... We were testing in sand this weekend. Took a little clicker tweak 'n but it didn't take long to get it dialed in. We face a lot of different terrain from small chop hard pack, loam with large enough breakers to double through all the way to deep sand so I test to get a baseline in each situation so I can do small adjustments in each situation later.... Saves time and headaches on race days.

I'd put the WP shock against the KYB any day... It's that good! The 4cs is not as good as the KYB fork but it's not a huge difference on this bike when it's set up correctly. Is it perfect? No, but neither is the KYB forks. If you want Farrari suspension you'll need to get A kit forks. Neither the KYB or 4cs are even in the same ball park as that set up!

Also, video doesn't tell the entire story. So I can show video of suspension tracking perfectly but it may still have a mid stroke harsh feel... Depending on who's tuning your suspension will determine how that can be managed. Also, someone else made a great point in that the 125/150 is a completely different animal than the four strokes and that will certainly have an effect on the feel of the suspension.
Mouse153
1/18/2016 7:25am
My son's 15 150SX was set up really well out of the crate. We adjusted the clickers and got it really close. For me the forks are a little harsh but for him they work great. I just bought a new Husky with WP and had Enzo set it up, It's perfect.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/18/2016 8:15am
usafwx wrote:
So I was looking at getting a KTM 150 SX for my next bike, love everything about it but always turned off by the bad reviews...
So I was looking at getting a KTM 150 SX for my next bike, love everything about it but always turned off by the bad reviews in regards to the suspension. I always send my stuff off to Factory Connection, was wondering will they still suck even after a revalve? Thanks in advance!
Do yourself a favor and call Factory Connection before you buy, I bet they'll provide you some good information and ease some of your tension.

I was like chuckdavies up above, where my 250sx forks scared me a bit with how bad they blew through travel on braking bumps and weird scenarios. WP Factory Services revalved my suspension and got me on the right springs and it's much better and no longer scares me to death.
1/18/2016 8:29am
Several guys on here were running Ohlins on the KTMs and raving about the difference it makes. So a few years later what's the new consensus, stock WP worked over, Ohlins, or WP A kits?

What are the comparisons and deciding factors for those who have tried them all?
BobPA
1/18/2016 8:32am
Several guys on here were running Ohlins on the KTMs and raving about the difference it makes. So a few years later what's the new consensus...
Several guys on here were running Ohlins on the KTMs and raving about the difference it makes. So a few years later what's the new consensus, stock WP worked over, Ohlins, or WP A kits?

What are the comparisons and deciding factors for those who have tried them all?
I think the new come valves is the way to go if you got the coin.

I'm personally waiting for the 2017 AER forks...
racerx317
1/18/2016 10:19am
Several guys on here were running Ohlins on the KTMs and raving about the difference it makes. So a few years later what's the new consensus...

BobPA wrote:
I think the new come valves is the way to go if you got the coin.

I'm personally waiting for the 2017 AER forks...
Billy at Powerband already received a shipment of the AER forks. Not sure if he has any left though.

My personal pick would be the WP A kit CV fork with the revalved stock based shock as a best case scenario when considering best bang for the buck. WP really has it going on right now for sure. Ohlins is a great choice as well but not as simple to get dialed.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/18/2016 10:40am
usafwx wrote:
So I was looking at getting a KTM 150 SX for my next bike, love everything about it but always turned off by the bad reviews...
The two-strokes don't apply the same load under braking as the four-strokes do. It kind of eliminates some of the complaints on initial harshness, being that you don't have to stiffen the fork to keep it held up in the stroke.

Just go with a re-valve (re-spring if they recommend it) and you'll have a great time.
Titan1
1/18/2016 10:44am
I think if the KTM diehards at KTMtalk.com are saying they are bad...they are bad.

Those guys bleed orange, and will usually defend any and all things KTM...so when they almost universally complain about the forks...that was all I needed to see to not buy a KTM (I just bought a Kawi).
BKoonts
1/18/2016 10:46am
I thought this was going to be another Weston Peick thread :-)
Insider347
1/18/2016 10:54am
If you're gonna send to factory connection right out of the crate, then share your info with them and they will make them work excellent. The 150sx is a blast.
ginger969
1/18/2016 2:20pm
the fourstroke line forks are horrible in my opinion unless you have about $2200 to drop into them...that was the main reason I sold my 15' ktm 250sxf and opted for a yz Smile
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/18/2016 2:27pm
Titan1 wrote:
I think if the KTM diehards at KTMtalk.com are saying they are bad...they are bad. Those guys bleed orange, and will usually defend any and all...
I think if the KTM diehards at KTMtalk.com are saying they are bad...they are bad.

Those guys bleed orange, and will usually defend any and all things KTM...so when they almost universally complain about the forks...that was all I needed to see to not buy a KTM (I just bought a Kawi).
A user here brought that up and ended up buying a Kawi, he just posted a thread recently on getting the Kawi revalved. My point being, either way, most people are going to spend money on altering suspension.
Titan1
1/18/2016 2:36pm
Titan1 wrote:
I think if the KTM diehards at KTMtalk.com are saying they are bad...they are bad. Those guys bleed orange, and will usually defend any and all...

seth505 wrote:
A user here brought that up and ended up buying a Kawi, he just posted a thread recently on getting the Kawi revalved. My point being...
A user here brought that up and ended up buying a Kawi, he just posted a thread recently on getting the Kawi revalved. My point being, either way, most people are going to spend money on altering suspension.
Right, but the only revalve company with virtually universal praise is Kreft (other companies get praised,but also get an equal number of complains). And Kreft will change you $1200 to make them work.

You can buy a Kawi and spend $400 and have them be amazing.

So though everyone revalved their suspension, you can get way more bang for your buck going with virtually any brand buy KTM/Husky.
TeamGreen
1/18/2016 2:49pm
I have a '15 450 SXF with Bladder Forks: WP re-valved them perfectly for VERY FAST riding on most of my tracks. They're still a little harsh on really janky-kicky stuff...like late on a Thursday evening at Glen Helen.

I have 4CS forks on my Husky FE350S and they are AWESOME. STOCK! Added a bit of rebound and I go up-n-down on compression depending on where I'm at. I'm having the valving from the Husky incorporated in to a piar of 4CS on a new KTM450SXF...and I'll see where that get's me.

Shocks? They've been EXCELLENT. WP re-valve on the SXF and it's as good as ANYTHING I've owned...which includes A LOT of kit stuff from Enzo and PC.

I have a fellow Vital member, Slipdog, rebuilding the Husky stuff right now. He knows how to ride really fast and he knows how to make suspension work for his customers due to all the years he's been screaming around the track -AND- working on how to make his bikes smoother.
Titan1
1/18/2016 3:00pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I have a '15 450 SXF with Bladder Forks: WP re-valved them perfectly for VERY FAST riding on most of my tracks. They're still a little...
I have a '15 450 SXF with Bladder Forks: WP re-valved them perfectly for VERY FAST riding on most of my tracks. They're still a little harsh on really janky-kicky stuff...like late on a Thursday evening at Glen Helen.

I have 4CS forks on my Husky FE350S and they are AWESOME. STOCK! Added a bit of rebound and I go up-n-down on compression depending on where I'm at. I'm having the valving from the Husky incorporated in to a piar of 4CS on a new KTM450SXF...and I'll see where that get's me.

Shocks? They've been EXCELLENT. WP re-valve on the SXF and it's as good as ANYTHING I've owned...which includes A LOT of kit stuff from Enzo and PC.

I have a fellow Vital member, Slipdog, rebuilding the Husky stuff right now. He knows how to ride really fast and he knows how to make suspension work for his customers due to all the years he's been screaming around the track -AND- working on how to make his bikes smoother.
It's odd that everyone likes the Husky 4cs better than the KTM 4cs...
njracer46
1/18/2016 3:05pm
No. The best, no. The worst, far from it. I had re valved cc forks on my 13 before, I have a 15 now with stock 4cs (not even springs) and i like them better.

Find someone with one that will let you try it out. Do more then one practice session if you can.

I've never ridden a newer yamaha or even one with SSS forks until this year. Rode it at two different tracks, about 15 laps each time. Felt comfortable right away, hit all the jumps. Charging from the first lap. I wasn't blown away with the hype I have heard on here about them. Over jumping and slamming the front end down felt just as harsh as the 4cs. I also thought the 4cs handled the braking bumps better. But it was a 450 and I have a 250 2 stroke so I would like to try a yz250 for a fair comparison.

And before someone chimes in, but wait was it set it up for? No it was bone stock suspension just like mine. I have no problem adapting to any bike I get on, never had that problem of adjusting to new bikes. Maybe that's why I don't think the ktm is "weird feeling"

Post a reply to: Is the WP suspension really that bad?

The Latest