Is the Green flag necessary anymore?

Prntscrn
6/18/2019 6:16am
Do any other country than the US use the green flag on the first lap?
mx_563
6/18/2019 6:39am
Is the British Monarchy necessary anymore?

We like our green flags. Quit poking at the beehive.
robkinuk
6/18/2019 8:06am
mx_563 wrote:

Why are so many of you guys so hung up about the British Monarchy and our Royal family? It's our countries history, going back centuries, long before America had been discovered and was just a wilderness, homeland to a few Indian tribes.
Recently my wife and I met up with Chuck Sun at ReBar in Las Vegas and laughed how an old school text book "The History of the United States" was only 1/2" thick. English history would be several volumes!
Kenny Lingus
6/18/2019 8:12am
With full gates, Why not give the riders as much info as possible?

The Shop

Mx391
6/18/2019 8:30am
It's always amuses me what bothers millennials. There does not seem to be a bottom of the barrel.
It's not that stuff bothers us, its that we question all the useless shit yall do.
mx_563
6/18/2019 9:24am
robkinuk wrote:
Why are so many of you guys so hung up about the British Monarchy and our Royal family? It's our countries history, going back centuries, long...
Why are so many of you guys so hung up about the British Monarchy and our Royal family? It's our countries history, going back centuries, long before America had been discovered and was just a wilderness, homeland to a few Indian tribes.
Recently my wife and I met up with Chuck Sun at ReBar in Las Vegas and laughed how an old school text book "The History of the United States" was only 1/2" thick. English history would be several volumes!
I don't care about your monarchy but am quite amused at how defensive you immediately became.
Our history books are thicker than yours!!!!

I implore you.....don't be an internet troll, don't question "our" green flags. Think of them as a tiny little banal American custom. We're trying to add pages to our skinny little moto-history-book. Don't stifle us, please. Smile

APLMAN99
6/18/2019 10:34am
mx_563 wrote:

robkinuk wrote:
Why are so many of you guys so hung up about the British Monarchy and our Royal family? It's our countries history, going back centuries, long...
Technically your country is less than a century older than ours......
6/18/2019 11:44am
scrallex wrote:
Because of the alternative that they would receive on the opening lap is a red flag, ie a restart. So, as they cross the line, the...
Because of the alternative that they would receive on the opening lap is a red flag, ie a restart. So, as they cross the line, the riders need to know if the race is on or a restart is necessary. If restart - red flag. If not - green flag.
I don't get it.
Red flag- Race stopped.
No Flag- No issue..

If its important to throw the green flag at the end of lap 1, why isn't it necessary to throw it say... after lap 5-6-7 or 8?? Ya know, just so everyone is still aware the race is 'Go'??
scrallex
6/18/2019 11:54am
Mucktub wrote:
Are you guys suggesting that at the nationals there's only one red flag at the track? Why not wave the green flag so the riders know...
Are you guys suggesting that at the nationals there's only one red flag at the track?

Why not wave the green flag so the riders know that the race is still running every lap? We don't want any confusion now do we?
Good point. I would say the main reason they don't is that every other lap the rider is only expecting to see a flag waived if its a caution (red cross or yellow) or to signal a stage in the race (halfway point, final lap, finish)

I think the best explanation is the comment that points out that it signals where the scoring line is, as it's sometimes not obvious in moto. I do agree that it's basically useless now..
ATKpilot99
6/18/2019 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2019 12:05pm
scrallex wrote:
Because of the alternative that they would receive on the opening lap is a red flag, ie a restart. So, as they cross the line, the...
Because of the alternative that they would receive on the opening lap is a red flag, ie a restart. So, as they cross the line, the riders need to know if the race is on or a restart is necessary. If restart - red flag. If not - green flag.
I don't get it. Red flag- Race stopped. No Flag- No issue.. If its important to throw the green flag at the end of lap 1...
I don't get it.
Red flag- Race stopped.
No Flag- No issue..

If its important to throw the green flag at the end of lap 1, why isn't it necessary to throw it say... after lap 5-6-7 or 8?? Ya know, just so everyone is still aware the race is 'Go'??
But is it really that big of a deal that they do it after the first lap ? Am I missing something here ? Why is it an issue either way ?
6/18/2019 12:08pm
scrallex wrote:
I don't get it. Red flag- Race stopped. No Flag- No issue.. If its important to throw the green flag at the end of lap 1...
I don't get it.
Red flag- Race stopped.
No Flag- No issue..

ATKpilot99 wrote:
But is it really that big of a deal that they do it after the first lap ? Am I missing something here ? Why is...
But is it really that big of a deal that they do it after the first lap ? Am I missing something here ? Why is it an issue either way ?
Not a big deal- Im not about to start getting signatures to get it stopped. Its just something I don't understand why..
MudPup545
6/18/2019 12:38pm
One could argue that the 30 second girl isn't necessary. It used to be done by an AMA race official. Still is technically because he's standing next to her cueing her on what to do. Not against it at all but, I'd say the green flag is more necassary than her.
Prntscrn
6/18/2019 12:50pm
MudPup545 wrote:
One could argue that the 30 second girl isn't necessary. It used to be done by an AMA race official. Still is technically because he's standing...
One could argue that the 30 second girl isn't necessary. It used to be done by an AMA race official. Still is technically because he's standing next to her cueing her on what to do. Not against it at all but, I'd say the green flag is more necassary than her.
I think the solution might be a green flag girl
MudPup545
6/18/2019 1:04pm
MudPup545 wrote:
One could argue that the 30 second girl isn't necessary. It used to be done by an AMA race official. Still is technically because he's standing...
Prntscrn wrote:
I think the solution might be a green flag girl
Like Gamora?
MohMoto14
6/18/2019 1:49pm
It's always amuses me what bothers millennials. There does not seem to be a bottom of the barrel.
Steers and queers
KMC440
6/18/2019 2:01pm
Shouldn't be used at all 'cept for an in front of the gate staggered start.
CivBars
6/18/2019 2:15pm
I like the idea of the Green flag on the first lap. Among all of the other positives listed, it shows that the Finish Line Flagger is engaged with the race and gives the riders some peace of mind that they're there and looking out for their safety.
Robgvx
6/18/2019 2:25pm
Why not have a green flag every lap, just to be certain that there hasn’t been a red flag that was missed?

Come to think if it, why not a green flag on every straight...? Just to reaffirm that the race is still going on? No confusion then.

CivBars
6/18/2019 2:39pm
Robgvx wrote:
Why not have a green flag every lap, just to be certain that there hasn’t been a red flag that was missed? Come to think if...
Why not have a green flag every lap, just to be certain that there hasn’t been a red flag that was missed?

Come to think if it, why not a green flag on every straight...? Just to reaffirm that the race is still going on? No confusion then.

Maybe a Green light and a Red light? Good idea!
Mucktub
6/18/2019 2:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2019 3:01pm
CivBars wrote:
I like the idea of the Green flag on the first lap. Among all of the other positives listed, it shows that the Finish Line Flagger...
I like the idea of the Green flag on the first lap. Among all of the other positives listed, it shows that the Finish Line Flagger is engaged with the race and gives the riders some peace of mind that they're there and looking out for their safety.
What are you talking about?
It shows the finish line flagger is engaged with the race!

The flagger has plenty of time to doze off after the first lap. Why would these riders think the officials don't have their safety in mind without a green flag. As a racer myself I don't ride purposefully looking for the flaggers around the track just in case they happen to be waving a flag. That's the whole point of the brightly coloured flags, to get your attention.
CivBars
6/18/2019 3:07pm
CivBars wrote:
I like the idea of the Green flag on the first lap. Among all of the other positives listed, it shows that the Finish Line Flagger...
Mucktub wrote:
What are you talking about? It shows the finish line flagger is engaged with the race! The flagger has plenty of time to doze off after...
What are you talking about?
It shows the finish line flagger is engaged with the race!

The flagger has plenty of time to doze off after the first lap. Why would these riders think the officials don't have their safety in mind without a green flag. As a racer myself I don't ride purposefully looking for the flaggers around the track just in case they happen to be waving a flag. That's the whole point of the brightly coloured flags, to get your attention.
This makes sense coming from someone who lives somewhere that has/ had a Hotline specifically for people to report rouge traffic cones.
Mucktub
6/18/2019 3:34pm
👍😃that's funny because it's true.

But hey, now that's an idea. Why not have traffic cones across the finish line? Then when the lead rider is approaching and the officials decide it's safe to proceed, the "cone workers" can run into the track and remove them. If it's not safe to carry on, then the cones stay out and maybe use enough cones to guide the riders back to the start line.

Or maybe........a toll booth.

SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
6/18/2019 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2019 7:56pm
Green means go. Not sure where the confusion or amusement comes from. Is it necessary? No. Is it how we do it? Yes. It's in the AMA rulebook, green flag on the opening lap means clear track ahead and the race is a go.
Can you guess why no one in the U.S. knows what flags are used in the British MX Championship?
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
6/18/2019 9:27pm
Would suck if you are color blind, Guess you would just assume it is green no matter what and keep racing.
CivBars
6/19/2019 4:59am
aaryn #234 wrote:
Would suck if you are color blind, Guess you would just assume it is green no matter what and keep racing.
EnChroma lenses? I don't know that there's any MX goggles that have them but maybe in the future.
CivBars
6/19/2019 5:00am
aaryn #234 wrote:
CivBars wrote:
EnChroma lenses? I don't know that there's any MX goggles that have them but maybe in the future.
Or just use the red cross flag?
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
6/19/2019 5:04am
mx_563 wrote:

robkinuk wrote:
Bill, Henry, and their bits of crumpet, are the pom version of the Kardashians.

Love your art and Chuck Sun is cool as frig.
robkinuk
6/19/2019 5:18am
Cheers Ezza, love your photoshops gif's too!
Mucktub
6/19/2019 5:28am
SLAPAHO wrote:
Green means go. Not sure where the confusion or amusement comes from. Is it necessary? No. Is it how we do it? Yes. It's in the...
Green means go. Not sure where the confusion or amusement comes from. Is it necessary? No. Is it how we do it? Yes. It's in the AMA rulebook, green flag on the opening lap means clear track ahead and the race is a go.
Can you guess why no one in the U.S. knows what flags are used in the British MX Championship?
Other than the green flag and the half way point flag, its pretty much universal. Although the last lap flag was always yellow with a diagonal black stripe, but they've adopted the 1 lap to go board similar to GP's.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
6/19/2019 7:19am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2019 7:20am
In the real old days at our local tracks around here, the green flag was not at the finish line, but was positioned at a yellow flag position about a quarter lap in. That setup was pretty useful. I remember pulling the biggest holeshot in my life. 180 first turn and I couldn't hear/didn't see anyone else behind me as I cleared it. Having 'race forward, never look back' drilled into me, I wouldn't peek. I was pretty sure something had gone haywire with the gate. No way I could pull THAT big of a holie.Seeing that green out after a few turns was "Dahyum! You smoked 'em."..

I think a few tracks around here still do it that way.

Post a reply to: Is the Green flag necessary anymore?

The Latest