Is the Green flag necessary anymore?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/17/2019 8:03 AM

Always amuses me watching an AMA national Motocross and they wave the green flag first time past the finish line. What's the purpose of this flag? As everyone is up to racing speed.
I guess it could be useful at say an AMA Flat track national if there had been a big pile up in turn 3 or 4 and track was blocked but what's the significance in motocross?

|

www.robkinsey.com
http://robkinseyart.wordpress.com
Accountant's only look at the bottom line, whereas an Artist see's it all!

6/17/2019 8:10 AM

Because of the alternative that they would receive on the opening lap is a red flag, ie a restart. So, as they cross the line, the riders need to know if the race is on or a restart is necessary. If restart - red flag. If not - green flag.

|

6/17/2019 8:24 AM

Most of the red flags come on the first lap, you come by and the green is out then you know the race is on, have you ever even raced ?

|

Ed Johnson

6/17/2019 8:34 AM

Gotta keep some traditions.

|

6/17/2019 8:36 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

Most of the red flags come on the first lap, you come by and the green is out then you know the race is on, have you ever even raced ?

Yes, for many years. It's not a flag we have here in England. The Red flag yes but not a Green flag to say start was okay.

|

www.robkinsey.com

6/17/2019 8:47 AM

scrallex wrote:

Because of the alternative that they would receive on the opening lap is a red flag, ie a restart. So, as they cross the line, the riders need to know if the race is on or a restart is necessary. If restart - red flag. If not - green flag.

Wouldn't this be enough:

If restart: red flag
If not: NO flag

I mean they don't wave green flags at every jump just to indicate that there is no rider on the ground.

|

6/17/2019 8:49 AM

They are paying the flagger, might as well use him!

|

6/17/2019 11:34 AM

Who cares. Are you that bothered by a green piece of cloth?

|

6/17/2019 11:37 AM

It's always amuses me what bothers millennials. There does not seem to be a bottom of the barrel.

|

6/17/2019 11:40 AM

I think every kind of bike racing does this. As a spectator why are you looking at the flag? As a racer you know that the first lap is clean.

|

6/17/2019 1:07 PM

Green flag is Nascar thing.. Red flag or nothing would be same as rest of the world has.

|

6/17/2019 1:11 PM

scrallex wrote:

crusty_xx wrote:

Wouldn't this be enough:

If restart: red flag
If not: NO flag

I mean they don't wave green flags at every jump just to indicate that there is no rider on the ground.

I guess having the green eliminates some potential confusion. Someone could miss the red flag and think it's a no flag ie: good start. Probably not really necessary, but I'm not sure there's a downside either.

|

6/17/2019 1:30 PM

tek14 wrote:

Green flag is Nascar thing.. Red flag or nothing would be same as rest of the world has.

F1, Indy Car, Sprint Car, Motorcycle speedway, flat track etc etc.

|

6/17/2019 1:37 PM

Texas Built wrote:

It's always amuses me what bothers millennials. There does not seem to be a bottom of the barrel.

Robkinuk, textbook Millennial.

|

Might order a pizza, take a nap, doesn't really matter.

6/17/2019 2:22 PM

Texas Built wrote:

We are lucky millennials still love motocross. There are still a lot of good ‘uns out there.

|

6/17/2019 2:28 PM

Texas Built wrote:

Yeah the OP millennial started posting on Vital at 7 years old. Imagine that.

|

6/17/2019 2:45 PM

Texas Built wrote:

I can assure you that Rob is not a millennial!

😂

|

6/17/2019 2:50 PM

I've heard guys talk about looking across the track to see if they had out a green or red flag in the middle of the first lap or just a red flag mid moto. Maybe it was a first turn pile up or gate malfunction or first lap carnage that would need the medics to get to the down riders without the rest of the field blazing by, but looking towards the finish line from a great distance while still racing ahead to look for a red or green flag is a lot easier and safer than looking for red or nothing. If you see green, keep racing hard. If you see red, slow down and prepare for a restart. All of the yellow and red cross flags on course should come out with the red flag but communication to the volunteer flaggers, who usually have little experience and training, isn't always immediate or clear. I don't think that they have radios and headsets like the officials.

|

6/17/2019 2:51 PM

Most finish lines are just before the track reenters the start first turn and if riders are still down in that area, which does happen, then they would wave the Red flag. The green flag just tells the riders the track is clear for the race to continue.

Paw Paw

|

6/17/2019 2:55 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

robkinuk wrote:

Yes, for many years. It's not a flag we have here in England. The Red flag yes but not a Green flag to say start was okay.

You don't have the green flag , we don't have a royal family. It's even . Seriously though . It could be a problem for people with red/green color blindness.

|

6/17/2019 3:04 PM

I like to see the green as I come around after the chaos that can be the first lap.

|

6/17/2019 3:59 PM

There is a reason they stopped having a green light start at Motor Races, the Red going out is all you need to see.

I dont have an issue with Greens after a yellow... or full course yellows, going to green, works well.

|

6/17/2019 4:02 PM

philG wrote:

There is a reason they stopped having a green light start at Motor Races, the Red going out is all you need to see.

I dont have an issue with Greens after a yellow... or full course yellows, going to green, works well.

What's the reason?

|

6/17/2019 4:34 PM

I mean I guess.......they could also eliminate the "crossed flags" at the 1/2 way point, the 2 to Go hand sign, and the White flag...

|

6/17/2019 5:56 PM

Is life necessary anymore...

|

Support those who protect us....our military, law enforcement and 1st responders.

6/18/2019 3:58 AM

Texas Built wrote:

Robgvx wrote:

😂

Cheers Rob.wink Don't know how to take being called a Millennial at my age?shocked Is that a compliment or an insult?w00t

|

www.robkinsey.com

6/18/2019 4:08 AM

Texas Built wrote:

Robgvx wrote:

😂

robkinuk wrote:

Cheers Rob.wink Don't know how to take being called a Millennial at my age?shocked Is that a compliment or an insult?w00t

Knowing this place, take it as an insult laughing

|

6/18/2019 4:34 AM

When you mention it, it is kinda pointless. Always wondered why it would be necessary. I´ve never felt the need during all my years of racing. No flag means all good to go.

|

6/18/2019 4:45 AM

Are you guys suggesting that at the nationals there's only one red flag at the track?

Why not wave the green flag so the riders know that the race is still running every lap? We don't want any confusion now do we?

|

6/18/2019 5:14 AM

I guess I always assumed that it was to reinforce where the finish line actually was. Before the big finish line jumps in SX, it always seemed like the finishes on our MX tracks were just a random spot on the track, without a lot of signage, etc.

It always seemed like the green flag was the signal that the race start was good, the race would end in that spot, and that was the beginning of consistent laps (the first lap was obviously a different length than the rest).

Never worried about it, though.

|