Is the 6D mainly a pro helmet?

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 7/25/2014 8:17am
I was a long time Bell (decades) then switched to Shoei then a One Industries David Bailey replica and now wearing an Answer helmet that burrito gave me a few years ago. Starting to think about my next helmet but since you can time my lap times with a sun dial plus I don't race for a living (and can sit out a concussion no problem) not sure I need the concussion protection of the 6D.

I have don't unlimited funds to update my gear either. Looking for opinions and insights. Thanks in advance.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
7/21/2014 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2014 2:00pm
I think the price usually deters the amateurs, kind of like Airoh. Most Amateurs would prefer to buy 3 Fly carbons and throw them away after each big get off. Otherwise you have to milk an expensive one along because you spent too much on it
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
7/21/2014 2:38pm
I see a lot of kids wearing them at the track nowadays. Not uncommon at all.
bobby397
7/21/2014 3:26pm
The Rock wrote:
I was a long time Bell (decades) then switched to Shoei then a One Industries David Bailey replica and now wearing an Answer helmet that burrito...
I was a long time Bell (decades) then switched to Shoei then a One Industries David Bailey replica and now wearing an Answer helmet that burrito gave me a few years ago. Starting to think about my next helmet but since you can time my lap times with a sun dial plus I don't race for a living (and can sit out a concussion no problem) not sure I need the concussion protection of the 6D.

I have don't unlimited funds to update my gear either. Looking for opinions and insights. Thanks in advance.
You know burrito?
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
7/21/2014 3:37pm
I think concussions are more serious than how long you can rest afterwards...

The Shop

smeg
7/21/2014 3:41pm
"not sure I need the concussion protection of the 6D."

Sorry dude, I don't know you but that has got to be one of the dumbest things I have read here on vital!!!

According to your post you feel concussions are okay for you get.

IT's YOUR FUCKING HEAD!!!!!

You know, that part that protects YOUR BRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is impossible to protect it too much.
The Rock
7/21/2014 3:43pm
Thanks Brad460. This was the type of insight I am looking for. Excellent point.

bobby397-Yes I am proud to know burrito. Great man that has had his challenges this year and kept his faith throughout. He now is in need of a hospital bed for his home.

How do we start a fund raiser?
The Rock
7/21/2014 4:20pm
Yes I am saying at the pace I ride and the probability of a concussion versus the extra dollars for a 6D doesn't warrant me springing for it. Now if I was a LL hopeful or a MXGP hopeful I would absolutely wear one no ifs ands buts about it.

What helmet do you wear smeg?
7/21/2014 4:28pm
I think Smeg's point is that all concussions are bad. We have learned over the past decade that damage accumulates in your brain and there's no good "minimum dose", so the concept that your brain will heal is flawed.
yz414
7/21/2014 4:30pm
i bought one this spring and had two gnarly crashes with it, last crash left it with a small crack on the mouthpiece

I had the decision, do i buy another 800$ helmet or go for a shoei and pay half that (i found a good deal on one)

ended up biting the bullet and getting another. yes its expensive but i hate hospitals more than an empty wallet
The Rock
7/21/2014 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2014 4:57pm
I understand smegs point but in my world economically reality intersects with what I want versus what I can afford.

Back to the subject of the 6D helmet the thing I am most impressed with how much 6D thought outside the box to come up with the dual liner concept with those mini shocks. Talk about a simple but completely brilliant idea. I would have been impressed if Bell Arai Shoei etc would have introduced this but non helmet guys launching one of the most important safety advances in years is beyond impressive.

EDIT-As a result of everyone's input I can appreciate the fact that the 6D has a much wider appeal to the masses instead of just the pros. Appreciate everyone's feedback a lot. Thank you.

bobby397
7/21/2014 5:16pm
The Rock wrote:
Thanks Brad460. This was the type of insight I am looking for. Excellent point. bobby397-Yes I am proud to know burrito. Great man that has had...
Thanks Brad460. This was the type of insight I am looking for. Excellent point.

bobby397-Yes I am proud to know burrito. Great man that has had his challenges this year and kept his faith throughout. He now is in need of a hospital bed for his home.

How do we start a fund raiser?
I'm not sure, I saw his post about it on fb and would gladly chip in. Burrito is a good dude
smeg
7/21/2014 5:24pm
Wasn't trying to come off as a dick. Was just trying to make the point that any concussion is a bad concussion and the fact that you can't have too much protection for your head.

I am a man of limited means so I can understand the cost issue. Having said that I will tell you that my current helmet is an old Fly. I don't go to the track anymore just do really low-speed trail riding. ..... I am thinking I will be in the market for a helmet in the next six months to year. When the time comes I will definitely be springing for a 6d.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and irrespective of which helmet you choose I hope it never has to do it's job.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/21/2014 5:24pm
The 6D helmets are not for everyone. I'm not just talking costs, but the fit is a little different than other brands. Some people LOVE the fit, but I couldn't come to grips with it. The top of the helmet pushed down on the top of my head and felt uncomfortable. I've been wearing SHOEI helmets for 15 years and just switched over to the Bell Moto 9 carbon. It was a little snug at first, but by the end of the 1st day, it felt perfect. My SHOEI was starting to slid down in rough sections and my goggles would pinch my nose.

Whatever helmet FITS your head shape is the one you should use. I would suggest trying the following-
6D
SHOEI
Bell Moto 9
Arai
Kali

Bell will have a new "suspended" helmet out towards the end of the year, as will Kali and Leatt is building a "suspended" helmet as well.
Crush
7/21/2014 5:26pm
The Rock wrote:
Yes I am saying at the pace I ride and the probability of a concussion versus the extra dollars for a 6D doesn't warrant me springing...
Yes I am saying at the pace I ride and the probability of a concussion versus the extra dollars for a 6D doesn't warrant me springing for it. Now if I was a LL hopeful or a MXGP hopeful I would absolutely wear one no ifs ands buts about it.

What helmet do you wear smeg?
Not for nothing Rock but I know someone's best mate who hit a wall doing 15mph and died. Head injury.

You don't need to be going fast to hurt yourself.

Shit I about break my toes every other day walking.
mxdude105
7/21/2014 5:33pm
The price tag on the 6D is a joke. For $700 I can go buy a halfway decent trail bike. I'm sure it's a great helmet but bottom line is that it's simply out of reach for most riders (myself included). To the OP- I've had good luck with Fox V2 and V3 helmets. They're made by KBC like most other gear-brand helmets but I think they both look and fit pretty good. My strategy is buy a moderate-higher end helmet on clearance when the next year models come out. If it takes a hard digger, I replace it.
7/21/2014 5:37pm
I understand the financial point too. It's a lot of money. I think the Kali is worth a look although it's still hard to find. It seems to have the same basic concept.

TomZ
Fantasy
4402nd
7/21/2014 6:12pm
The Rock wrote:
I understand smegs point but in my world economically reality intersects with what I want versus what I can afford. Back to the subject of the...
I understand smegs point but in my world economically reality intersects with what I want versus what I can afford.

Back to the subject of the 6D helmet the thing I am most impressed with how much 6D thought outside the box to come up with the dual liner concept with those mini shocks. Talk about a simple but completely brilliant idea. I would have been impressed if Bell Arai Shoei etc would have introduced this but non helmet guys launching one of the most important safety advances in years is beyond impressive.

EDIT-As a result of everyone's input I can appreciate the fact that the 6D has a much wider appeal to the masses instead of just the pros. Appreciate everyone's feedback a lot. Thank you.

For what it is worth........a majority of concussions happen during low speed crashes. We hear about the really big crashes
(like ZBell) but those are the exception and not the rule.

The 6D technology was designed with that in mind. The idea of angular acceleration seems to be a buzz these days. That is the cause of many concussions and traditional helmet technology does little to protect against that.

We could go on with a technical discussion but the fact is that less skilled riders are more likely to have a comparatively minor crash that results in brain trauma.

I don't mean to suggest that everyone has to have a 6D or they won't survive.....simply that for those who have the means it is the finest protection you can buy.

I have watched many people spend $700+ on an exhaust or something similar.........it is just a choice.

Apparently there are many in the amateur ranks (or parents) that feel it is worthwhile.

mxracer546
7/21/2014 6:24pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 10:49am
I almost lost my son 10 years ago due to a crash and landing on his head. He had a brand new HJC helmet on at the time. He is just getting back into riding at the age on 25 and I purchased a 6D after researching new helmets. I will never purchase an inexpensive helmet again or a helmet that just meets standards. As the old saying goes $10 helmet for a $10 head.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/21/2014 6:31pm
I understand the financial point too. It's a lot of money. I think the Kali is worth a look although it's still hard to find. It...
I understand the financial point too. It's a lot of money. I think the Kali is worth a look although it's still hard to find. It seems to have the same basic concept.

I've read that Leatt has paid Kali to use their system in the helmet that is being developed. I'm not a big fan of Leatt, I think Chris Leatt is an asshole, but their helmet might be worth looking at as well. With more and more people getting away from neck braces and the additional companies making better designs, I think Leatt is reaching out to regain business.
mxnick
7/21/2014 6:43pm
If you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet....
ob
7/21/2014 7:09pm
Wow this is a funny thread, pros head worth more than yours? That being said I won't buy a 6D. Not really sure it's all that, I also don't wear a neck brace anymore. Just my opinion
coastie44
7/21/2014 7:45pm
mxnick wrote:
There are a lot of fine helmets that don't cost $700. And this sentence "have a $10 head..." has been used up for about 10 years now.
smeg
7/21/2014 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2014 7:48pm
mxnick
7/21/2014 8:26pm
mxnick wrote:
coastie44 wrote:
There are a lot of fine helmets that don't cost $700. And this sentence "have a $10 head..." has been used up for about 10 years...
There are a lot of fine helmets that don't cost $700. And this sentence "have a $10 head..." has been used up for about 10 years now.
Brother, I think you missed my strong sarcasm...
Beast666
7/22/2014 5:29am
For what its worth. I have seen a few 6D helmets after a crash where the foam inner liner was cracked. It seems that the empty area between the outer liner and inner liner allows your head to move causing the foam to break. If you have a 6D it is best to check the foam liner carefully for cracking after any crash.
usafwx
7/22/2014 5:54am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 5:55am
Seen alot of guys this weekend at a DE race wearing em. I will agree it should be one of your most expensive/researched investments in this sport. However just because it costs an arm and a leg dosent mean its better than the cheaper one likewise for cheaper is not always crappy. I've seen some quality BELL helmets at a decent price point and some expensive crappy Fox ones too. Take the time to research and most importantly try it on. If it dosent fit correct its a waste anyways. I've had Fox, HJC and now my Shoei, though the Shoei is expensive and I'd like more color choices it fits my goofy shaped head the best. Take a look at the country of manufacture too. I know Fox switched to China just like their goggles are no longer made in the USA by Oakley, same for their sunglasses. Good luck with your search and enjoy it. Its a new moto toy/item.
friday10
7/22/2014 7:47am
Remember the old saying,"If you have a $10.00 head wear a $10.00 helmet!" Whats your brain worth?
TeamGreen
7/22/2014 10:23am
6D is taking a different approach to "Impact Protection" & if you like what they're doing...? Get one.

As for the cost argument?

I just watched a friend take a huge hit & his Arai was DONE. Cracked/Punctured...in Baja...after a High-Speed get-off. He was a little beat up and had a few bumps & bruises...even one on his head.

But! He was fine and the Arai DID it's job.

So, the helmet does it's job and saves you how much in medical bills...hell...what's the average persons "deductible" now-a-days?

Get a good helmet.

You ARE worth it.
7/22/2014 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 12:03pm
friday10 wrote:
Remember the old saying,"If you have a $10.00 head wear a $10.00 helmet!" Whats your brain worth?
Ask my wife that question!!!

And that answer can come on a couple of levels..........
7/22/2014 5:39pm
I understand the financial point too. It's a lot of money. I think the Kali is worth a look although it's still hard to find. It...

langhammx wrote:
I've read that Leatt has paid Kali to use their system in the helmet that is being developed. I'm not a big fan of Leatt, I...
I've read that Leatt has paid Kali to use their system in the helmet that is being developed. I'm not a big fan of Leatt, I think Chris Leatt is an asshole, but their helmet might be worth looking at as well. With more and more people getting away from neck braces and the additional companies making better designs, I think Leatt is reaching out to regain business.
Yep, also worth a look when it comes out. I think that legitimizes Kali's technology. I am guessing it will cost a lot, though. The Kali might be less if you can find them anywhere. But, yes, I am coming around to the position that these 3 are the new school and definitely worth a look for moto.

Post a reply to: Is the 6D mainly a pro helmet?

The Latest