Is the 2021 Honda water pump cover + Y-pipe held together with magic?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/27/2021 10:01 AM

Hey all,
I did the top end on my 2021 CRF250R and first ride one it the Y-pipe keeps popping out of the water pump cover and weeping coolant. I didn't remove it when I worked on the bike but it might have gotten bumped. I tried to tap it back in but it keeps popping out.

I thought it might be an o-ring, but looking at the exploded diagram it's an entire assembly (cover + Y-pipe).

Any ideas on how to fix? (Other than buying the entire assembly)

Or has anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks!

Photo

|

9/27/2021 1:50 PM

Anyone?

Bueller?

If there is a better forum to post this, please let me know.

|

9/27/2021 2:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2021 6:41 PM

Its a press fit, if its your first ride did you buy it new ? if yes take it back and Honda can replace the water pump cover. If you bought it used then go to Honda dealer and buy a new water pump cover. $66 for new cover is cheap.

Edit: its looks like you bought it used so you will need to replace the water pump cover. more than likely got damaged in a crash at some point and only way to fix it is to replace it.

|

Ed Johnson

9/27/2021 3:28 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

Its a press fit, if its your first ride did you buy it new ? if yes take it back and Honda can replace the water pump cover. ...more

If that's the case I would try silicone on it first, if that didn't work buy a new one.

|

Instagram: logi.bear93
Youtube: Logi. Bear93

9/27/2021 3:31 PM

Looks like a good spot for some duct tape

|

9/27/2021 3:36 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

Its a press fit, if its your first ride did you buy it new ? if yes take it back and Honda can replace the water pump cover. ...more

Thanks for the reply.

I bought it new, put about 30hrs on it and then did a top end.

The y-pipe started popping out after I did the top end, it was fine before then.

Just so I am armed with information, are you recommending I ask Honda to replace the cover because there is some known Honda defect?

Again, thanks for the reply.

|

9/27/2021 3:37 PM

Jb weld it

|

9/27/2021 3:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2021 3:52 PM

Just replace it. $58 on Rocky Mountain

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

9/27/2021 4:06 PM

Dirtydeeds wrote:

Looks like a good spot for some duct tape

Silicone on the inside, duct tape on the outside. Reinforced with baling wire and a zip tie for good measure.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

9/27/2021 4:20 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

4DAIVIPAI2K5 wrote:

If that's the case I would try silicone on it first, if that didn't work buy a new one.

You must be a plumber…

|

RPM Performance
CT

9/27/2021 4:48 PM

Aren’t the Boyesen kits one piece?

Probably be a safe bet to go that route.

|

9/27/2021 5:10 PM

Loctite makes anaerobic retaining compounds for stuff like this, I had a similar issue with a pressed in coolant tube in a oil cooler housing on a GT500. I removed the hose barb, cleaned it and then re-installed with the sealer, Compound 620.

|

9/27/2021 5:28 PM

Top end at 30 hours?

|

9/27/2021 6:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2021 6:48 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

mtl wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I bought it new, put about 30hrs on it and then did a top end.

The y-pipe started popping out after ...more

No there is no know defect, but if it had popped out the first ride they should have covered it. But with 30 hours on it you will need to buy a new one. You can try to fix it with all the wrong ways people will recommend but save yourself some problems and do it the right way. You did something wrong when you did the top end to knock it loose, its usually crash damage that does them in. Hubbardmx50 found them for $58 and that is not bad at all.

|

Ed Johnson

9/27/2021 6:47 PM

Forty wrote:

Top end at 30 hours?

Beat me to it

|

9/27/2021 7:22 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

No there is no know defect, but if it had popped out the first ride they should have covered it. But with 30 hours on it you ...more

Super helpful, thank you!

|

9/27/2021 7:27 PM

Forty wrote:

Top end at 30 hours?

AgentOrange wrote:

Beat me to it

Wonder how many top ends their daily driver is up to

|

9/27/2021 8:19 PM

Don't chance a possible leak, then seizure over $58 bucks.

|

9/28/2021 6:40 AM

I can affirm the effectiveness of Loctite press fit retaining compound as mentioned above

|

9/28/2021 9:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2021 10:03 AM

Photo
Geico Honda engine , when using OE waterpump a small set screw was installed helping combat possible movement up/out of steel Y tube. Tube was also installed with some epoxy to help bond it in place.
These type of steel tube/pressed into cast Alum parts failures have been happening in MX bikes for decades.
Coolant hose spigots, Power valve breather hoses etc have all been problematic in 90's RM's 2000's YZ's etc and obviously now some CRF's.
Much like you might heat cases to open tolerances on an interference press fit bearing, when cast alum. parts get hot pressed in parts can loosen and come out.
Loctite products are great too but I don't think a silicone product will succeed in this application so I'd stay away from just choosing to use silcone on exterior of part. Keep in mind your system is under pressure at operating temps, 10+ psi and silicone will probably just push out of the way.
|

9/28/2021 10:51 AM

Kibby to the rescue: Nice!

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

9/28/2021 11:03 AM

Photo
|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

9/28/2021 11:08 AM

I learned something on Vital today!
Ironically, I was just talking to Mr. Aerospace aka TeamGreen the other day about this very issue. And his suggestion was a Loctite retaining compound. But he didn't have a reference number for the compound, so thanks UGOTBIT for the info.
I will be trying the Loctite 620, along with Kibby's set screw detail.

|

Instagram: @motoxeno

Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com

9/29/2021 9:41 AM

In all seriousness, how do you get it out without hurting it?

|

9/29/2021 10:26 AM

Thank you to all the folks who provided some input. Given the performance nature of the motor, I ordered up a new assembly. Hopefully this isn't needed every time I do a top end.

Per kibby's recommendations, if I have time I will drill out the old one and install a set screw.

Sidenote, this is one of the most productive threads I've seen in this forum. Maybe I should lock it before it goes sideways. 😂

|

9/29/2021 10:48 AM

Kenny Lingus wrote:

Hold Aluminum part of pump cover gently in a vice with soft jaws.Heat with MAP gas and gently twist the Y pipe once alum part heated/expanded. Be sure to scribe a line across the two parts before beginning work so you can return the steel tube to it's correct clocked position.

|

9/29/2021 10:59 AM

Kenny Lingus wrote:

kibby wrote:

Hold Aluminum part of pump cover gently in a vice with soft jaws.Heat with MAP gas and gently twist the Y pipe once alum part ...more

Thanks. Haven't had a problem but I think I will do this over the winter.

|

9/29/2021 12:48 PM

If you ever need a permanent sealant use some 3m 5200. Not necessarily recommending it for this fix but for repairs that need a silicone type sealant that you need to rely on to never come loose it's the shit..........

|

9/29/2021 1:00 PM

This is an engineering design flaw...plain and simple. There are many ways this coupling could have been designed and the one they chose was poor. This could make a crafty aftermarket designer some bucks.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/29/2021 1:42 PM

mtl wrote:

Thank you to all the folks who provided some input. Given the performance nature of the motor, I ordered up a new assembly. ...more

It’s not quite there yet. You’ll know it’s time when the fight over vaccination and politics starts…laughing

|