Is money the ultimate motivator..

.. when you’re already a multi-millionaire??

I don’t think it is.

I’ve read here before about the Monster Energy SX and the winner bagging a cool $1m for one night.. and how a rider would “put it all on the line”.

Now, similar comments are made about next week’s Pala round, and how much the win is worth in monetary value.

I’m confident both Chase & Eli are multi-millionaires (If Chase isn’t already, he’s on his way) so my question is- is money the ultimate motivator for these guys to lay it all on the line?

Or is it the ‘Title’?

Does Chase want it more because he’s never had one yet?
Or Does Eli want it more because it’ll be his last try?

I don’t believe either of them need the money enough to push past the point of danger.
|
fanger
8/29/2022 12:09am
I'd imagine you'd need a pretty big "ego" to hang it out like these 2 are, money would be a secondary motivation for them for sure.

Sextons got years to bank cheques and I can't imagine Tomac is short of a dollar.
gerg
8/29/2022 12:23am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2022 12:24am
On the flip side...what about the general population that can't afford to lose their income due to a hobby induced injury?

I think the motivation is up to the individual:

* Monetary
* Passion
* Other

Interesting topic though.
kijen
8/29/2022 4:19am
If you win, maybe money is second to the title.
If you lose, missing out on the money probably bums you out a bit more.
neysbo
8/29/2022 4:20am
For Sexton his motivation is simply to win, what ever comes with it is frosting on the cake.

The Shop

Gravel
8/29/2022 5:32am
Look at how hard a lot of regular local guys push for a worthless trophy. We are a competitive species, that’s what drives us. Money is a motivator for sure but it’s not the only thing when you’re talking sports. Personal drive, the need to beat down the competition plays a big role too.

I think everyone on the line is putting out their best effort on race day, races are won during the previous year(s) of practice, equipment knowledge and physical conditioning with a side order of luck.

The last round is going to be brutal hot, whoever has put in the work on the worst days of rough tracks and hot days over the summer has the advantage.
AMetts
Fantasy
1607th
8/29/2022 5:47am
Seems like competitiveness and want to win have to be the main motivator. The money thing is weird because yeah the top guys have a good chunk of change in the bank but you also kind of have to think about they can only make that kind of money for a small window, who else retires when they are 30 years old? Granted most find a place in the industry and can make some savvy investments as well.

Make hay while the sun shines kind of thing
JM485
8/29/2022 5:58am
There is no way money alone can motivate someone to come back from injuries like Ken has had, or go through the intense training programs like Dungey or Tomac are known for. I’m sure it’s a factor for all of them, but not the only one.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/29/2022 6:13am
Nobody in this sport who makes the money is there because of the money. They are successful because they are driven to win.
kijen
8/29/2022 7:48am
When there was the MEC, that million dollars seemed to be the motivation, not being called the MEC champ. Chase and Eil are not racing for free, money matters. Its a job, why do you think Reed stayed for so long, not like he was gonna be a champ again. And look at the world sx,...money.

Cant be romantic about all that matters is the trophy or legacy. It all comes down to 💰
snillum
Fantasy
325th
8/29/2022 7:49am
It was never about the money. They are racers, they want to win, they want to say they were the best. When you were a kid watching the pros did you dream about being like your idol and did you think about their money, houses, and cars? No, you thought how cool it would be to stand on the podium and everyone chants your name, how you make a spectacular last lap pass to win the overall. You dream about going anywhere in the world and being #1. They want their names on the record books. The money is an added bonus.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
8/29/2022 10:57am
Let's be real. Money is a part of the equation.
Having $3 million instead of $2 million is better.
aeffertz
8/29/2022 11:21am
Tomac stated he took less money signing with Star because he felt he could win a championship with them vs staying at Kawasaki for more pay.

Chase has also taken a significant chunk less to ride in Alpinestars vs another gear brand because he’s always wanted to be in their gear.

So I think it just goes to show that money is a factor but there are a ton of slices to the motivation/happiness/success pie and depending on where you are at in your career, the percentages may constantly be changing.
Mick 22
8/29/2022 11:26am
Gravel wrote:
Look at how hard a lot of regular local guys push for a worthless trophy. We are a competitive species, that’s what drives us. Money is...
Look at how hard a lot of regular local guys push for a worthless trophy. We are a competitive species, that’s what drives us. Money is a motivator for sure but it’s not the only thing when you’re talking sports. Personal drive, the need to beat down the competition plays a big role too.

I think everyone on the line is putting out their best effort on race day, races are won during the previous year(s) of practice, equipment knowledge and physical conditioning with a side order of luck.

The last round is going to be brutal hot, whoever has put in the work on the worst days of rough tracks and hot days over the summer has the advantage.
Absolutely right Gravel.

It's been so many years since I was 16-18, but I do recall that the trophy or the cash was not at all that important.

What was important was winning.
SGoodman
8/29/2022 1:17pm
money is not..... a true MMA fighter would do it for free.. we all know someone who was simply born to fight... same can be said about moto... I mean look at you and I... we pay money out of our own pockets for the chance to go break ourselves in half - just for the "fun" of it/small plastic trophy....
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/29/2022 1:48pm
Radical wrote:
Well, of course it's better, but do you think RC won because he hated having only $2 million or because he hated to lose?
JM485
8/29/2022 1:55pm
kijen wrote:
When there was the MEC, that million dollars seemed to be the motivation, not being called the MEC champ. Chase and Eil are not racing for...
When there was the MEC, that million dollars seemed to be the motivation, not being called the MEC champ. Chase and Eil are not racing for free, money matters. Its a job, why do you think Reed stayed for so long, not like he was gonna be a champ again. And look at the world sx,...money.

Cant be romantic about all that matters is the trophy or legacy. It all comes down to 💰
You can't honestly believe that Reed was out there for the money at the tail end of his career. . .
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
8/29/2022 1:57pm
kijen wrote:
When there was the MEC, that million dollars seemed to be the motivation, not being called the MEC champ. Chase and Eil are not racing for...

JM485 wrote:
You can't honestly believe that Reed was out there for the money at the tail end of his career. . .
No, but I don't believe he was losing money to race either. Could be wrong.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
8/29/2022 2:05pm
Radical wrote:
Falcon wrote:
Well, of course it's better, but do you think RC won because he hated having only $2 million or because he hated to lose?
For RC, I believe it was mostly hating to lose, but I believe for many racers, especially those who haven't made millions, the money is a big part of what keeps them racing at the end of their careers.
Making 100k/year is good money, and a level that may take some time to reach in their post MX careers.

Don't get me wrong. I believe most racers love being out there racing, but after 20 years or so of injuries and being in the grind, it makes sense that the passion can wane, and continuing to race and build up a nest egg is a smart move long term.
8/29/2022 2:20pm
gerg wrote:
On the flip side...what about the general population that can't afford to lose their income due to a hobby induced injury? I think the motivation is...
On the flip side...what about the general population that can't afford to lose their income due to a hobby induced injury?

I think the motivation is up to the individual:

* Monetary
* Passion
* Other

Interesting topic though.
The topic about fused ankles comes to mind.
Badd127
Fantasy
2111th
8/29/2022 2:25pm
Having money is not everything! Not having it is!
Taylor415
8/29/2022 2:41pm
A lot of these guys were faster on an 85 than we are on 450s. Most if not all of them wanted to be a pro racer so I'd imagine that's a huge part of it. The money comes with the effort. Tomac and Sexton are riding on a whole different level, and seem to really push each other. I thought Sexton was going to wear himself out first Moto at Ironman, scrub or some variation of that on just about every jump when he was working his way through the pack. He wanted to do whatever he had to do to get upfront.
I do see the money side of it with a lot of other sports, and I'm not downplaying any of those guys by any means. You'll hear it in many interviews with athletes saying "me making it was going to change everything for my family so I had to do what I had to do to make it" so I see that motivation as well. I just don't think it is as common in many forms of racing, but I could be wrong.
Boggins
8/29/2022 3:15pm
Title first
Bragging rights second
Money second or third

With Titles comes lots of money.
BigBoreFan58
8/29/2022 3:30pm
The money is a by-product of these guys desire to win. Money is not the motivator IMO.
ando
8/29/2022 3:46pm
There’s two aspects to this question.

First is that the lure of (potential) money definitely motivates people to get out of bed and follow a career as a professional athlete. Of course the athletes love what they do or they wouldn’t be doing it. However there are very few professional sports (if any) where you can make a living as a journeyman; if you’re not at or near the top there’s no substantial money to be made.

In motocross/supercross they are risking severe injury and/or long term impacts of injuries for a career that has a short lifespan. Countering that is the lure of the “breakout ride” where they suddenly become worth something.

The second aspect is - does money motivate people to be better or train harder? Except maybe in some limited ways the answer is no.

For example the lure of (more) money, actual or potential, might cause someone to take up mx full time and therefore be able to devote more to training and racing. That won’t change their intrinsic talent or willingness to push their body further. In a race they don’t consciously think “I better ride faster because there’s a check on the line”.
jambalaya
8/29/2022 3:54pm
I think it’s one of those things where after the fact you notice that you left a pretty fat bonus on the table but when you’re competitive like these guys are you want to just ride to your potential and win
El Capitan
8/29/2022 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2022 5:23pm
It's not how much you make.....but how much you save. Being wealthy isn't where the 'cost' is....living "rich" is where the mistakes can be made.
lumpy790
8/29/2022 4:14pm
Hunger to win is not something that anyone can buy ….. but factories have sure learned how to rent it 😂
kijen
8/29/2022 4:15pm
kijen wrote:

JM485 wrote:
Well it wasn't to win either, riding having fun and getting paid. You do know that he bet on himself to win a while ago, think he didnt car if he lost.

Some people are comparing there weekend warrior pursuit is the same as guys who do this a a profession, id say the top 20 guys care abour where they finish, salarys and bonuses. Yeah Eli took less at yamaha, think he thought he could win another championship and the bonus that goea with it.

Seem a lot of guys are still stuck at the age of 15, most likely not being seriously courted to be a pro, many of the top guys familys "invested" in their kid being a pro, pretty sure at least 75percent were expecting a financial return.

Post a reply to: Is money the ultimate motivator..

The Latest