Is it time to have playoffs?

JB 19
Edited Date/Time 4/11/2015 11:41pm
Maybe not playoffs exactly, but a chase( I hate that term) structure. The purist in me had always said no, but then I got to thinking.

Regular sports that have a playoffs generally reward teams that have a good regular season and then have the chance to get hot and peak at the right time.

It's accepted in other sports that you can get your shit together in the last 30% of the season and kick everyone's ass and be called the best.

Take something like the top ten in points and start over at round 11 with 1st beginning with 10 points and 10th with none with all other positions filled in with points that reflect their "regular season" ending position. This would give the top guys a small advantage as a reward for their current position when playoffs start.

Think what it could do to the sport right now if Dungey, a gritty Canard, and a fired up Tomac all had a real shot. Add in the intrigue of someone like Roczen making a mad rush to get into the top ten so he has a shot.

I'm about as old school as it gets, but I'll admit that what is going now and how most seasons unfold is as stale as a week old piece of pizza. I'm a sucker for pizza, but that doesn't make it good pizza.
|
stewie94
4/1/2015 8:51pm
imo no.... just leave it the same (format wise ) , the only thing ill like to request or see is just extra points to the fastest qualifier or a heat win
mojoman42
4/1/2015 9:30pm
It's funny, I used to be so vehemently opposed to the idea, but I'm starting to be in favor of it. It would make the entire season stay interesting as opposed to losing interest 3/4 of the way through because the title is essentially decided.

I'd also like to see grid starts as opposed to what we have now. It's more exciting to see the top guys racing each other than one fast guy getting a start and pulling away while the rest battle through the pack.
Grizz
4/1/2015 9:47pm
When you say "other sports," you're just talking about football, aren't you?
JB 19
4/1/2015 9:50pm
Grizz wrote:
When you say "other sports," you're just talking about football, aren't you?
No.

The Shop

KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
4/1/2015 10:15pm
Almost all sports have a playoff system. It is working for NASCAR and NHRA in motorsports.
All I know is we usually are pretty bored by the end of the SX series and a playoff/chase format might be worth a try
Feint
4/1/2015 10:18pm
KennyT wrote:
Almost all sports have a playoff system. It is working for NASCAR and NHRA in motorsports. All I know is we usually are pretty bored by...
Almost all sports have a playoff system. It is working for NASCAR and NHRA in motorsports.
All I know is we usually are pretty bored by the end of the SX series and a playoff/chase format might be worth a try
It may work for creating viewership, but it completely destroys the integrity of the championship. People want to talk about how supercross is a circus now, resetting the points would be going full retard.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
4/1/2015 10:24pm
KennyT wrote:
Almost all sports have a playoff system. It is working for NASCAR and NHRA in motorsports. All I know is we usually are pretty bored by...
I agree. I would view the first 10 or however many races they determined to be prior to the chase as qualifiers for the Chase or "playoff". So wins and points do matter, especially if you get injured, this way a smaller injury doenst neccesarily mean you are out of the championship. I would dig it. As far as heat race and fast qualifier points, I dont like that as the same guys winning the mains are prolly getting those points as well and you might end up with a bigger gap in points at the end. I am all for at least trying the "chase" format.
stantdm
4/1/2015 10:27pm
Perhaps a slight alteration of the points system. As someone noted points for a heat race win and maybe a holeshot bonus (I am an Andrew Short fan Smile ) could tighten it up a bit. While I understand someone getting bored due to no close points race I just take each race for what it is.... a great thing to watch. You never know what is going to happen and that keeps it pretty exciting for me. .
Motofinne
4/1/2015 10:35pm
There is nothing more that i hate than playoffs. It's idiotic. Think about the NHL 80+ games on one regular season and a team can lose 10 games and it isn't even a big deal. What do i love the most in football(soccer in usa), every single goal and game is important just like every single race and point you can get in a race is important.

Just play around with this thought. Ryan Dungey wins 6 of the 10 first races and then the "playoffs" starts and something happens, the bike brakes, a rider tbones him and the radiators brake and the whole season is over.

In the Finnish hockey league we see almost every year a team that is really good in the regular season and then just hits a form dip in the playoffs and lose to a shittier team. All the hard work the whole winter for nothing.
4/1/2015 10:36pm
Absolutely not. The difference between team sports and racing is that in racing, you are competing against everyone else every week. In football, if a team has 15 great weeks, and one terrible week, only one of their competition gets the benefits of that terrible week. In racing, if you have a bad week, everyone of your competitors benefits.

For those who want it because they lose interest when the race isn't likely to have a significant effect on the championship, what are you going to do when most of the races don't have a significant effect on the championship? Do you think that riders are going to push that hard early in the season when a 5th place is effectively just as good for the championship as a win. They'll go out, try to get their top 5 finishes every week and stay out of trouble. The whole focus on championships ruins racing. Watch racing for the races themselves.
JB 19
4/1/2015 11:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/2/2015 12:44am
This isn't only for the purpose of being boring, it's also a way of recognizing guys who rise to the challenge in the playoffs. In the amateurs there are always those kids who got 6th or 7th at the regional and finish 3rd or 4th locally and then kill it at LL's and get a top 3.

Other sports have legends who notoriously rise up in the playoffs. Big Shot Bob Horry, Mr October Reggie Jackson.
Toste
Fantasy
794th
4/2/2015 12:10am
Absolutely not. The difference between team sports and racing is that in racing, you are competing against everyone else every week. In football, if a team...
Absolutely not. The difference between team sports and racing is that in racing, you are competing against everyone else every week. In football, if a team has 15 great weeks, and one terrible week, only one of their competition gets the benefits of that terrible week. In racing, if you have a bad week, everyone of your competitors benefits.

For those who want it because they lose interest when the race isn't likely to have a significant effect on the championship, what are you going to do when most of the races don't have a significant effect on the championship? Do you think that riders are going to push that hard early in the season when a 5th place is effectively just as good for the championship as a win. They'll go out, try to get their top 5 finishes every week and stay out of trouble. The whole focus on championships ruins racing. Watch racing for the races themselves.
Agree. Basically the whole first part of the season would be like a SX qualifying race. Dudes in a comfortable position for "the chase" would just be riding around.
zehn
4/2/2015 12:11am
What about the privateers that would never have a chance at the points chase, do they not deserve recognition for their performance over the course of the season? If somebody can make a run at the end of the season and gets into the top 10 in points, they deserve that. There's no reason to take that away from them.
Jimfunn
4/2/2015 12:31am
Not following any American sports other than MX & SX, I didn't know you did this but it sounds like a way to make crap sports slightly more interesting. Luckily with MX & SX you don't have this problem.

JB 19
4/2/2015 12:51am
Jimfunn wrote:
Not following any American sports other than MX & SX, I didn't know you did this but it sounds like a way to make crap sports...
Not following any American sports other than MX & SX, I didn't know you did this but it sounds like a way to make crap sports slightly more interesting. Luckily with MX & SX you don't have this problem.

So do you guys have no elimination rounds in sports? I don't know myself. Like basketball here. If a team were to get an 8 game lead the series could effectively be over 3 weeks before the last game is played if there were no playoffs.

I know Zach Ames didn't like it last year in Arenacross, for obvious reasons. I'm just bouncing idea's around.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
4/2/2015 12:59am
No no no no andNO¡!!!!!!!!!

I hate that shit in nascar
kevin204
Fantasy
2870th
4/2/2015 1:30am
No. IMO it's been ruining NASCAR and now is spreading its disease on Arenacross. Keep it out of SX/MX.
Jefro98
4/2/2015 2:01am
Absolutely not. The difference between team sports and racing is that in racing, you are competing against everyone else every week. In football, if a team...

^^ This.
Totally agree.
VET176
4/2/2015 2:05am
Jimfunn wrote:
Not following any American sports other than MX & SX, I didn't know you did this but it sounds like a way to make crap sports...

JB 19 wrote:
So do you guys have no elimination rounds in sports? I don't know myself. Like basketball here. If a team were to get an 8 game...
So do you guys have no elimination rounds in sports? I don't know myself. Like basketball here. If a team were to get an 8 game lead the series could effectively be over 3 weeks before the last game is played if there were no playoffs.

I know Zach Ames didn't like it last year in Arenacross, for obvious reasons. I'm just bouncing idea's around.
The answer to your first question is Yes, The FA Cup.
4/2/2015 2:11am Edited Date/Time 4/2/2015 2:12am
I think I'm going to agree as for one the past few years most everyone has lost interest somewhat by race 12 and are ready for the outdoors to begin and my main reason was just to say YES after seeing so many folks here not even to give the idea a chance.... :-)
Jimfunn
4/2/2015 2:28am
Jimfunn wrote:

JB 19 wrote:
So do you guys have no elimination rounds in sports? I don't know myself. Like basketball here. If a team were to get an 8 game...

VET176 wrote:
The answer to your first question is Yes, The FA Cup.
I don't follow football either but I thought the FA cup was a bit different to this play-off system? Like I say I don't know of it so maybe I got the wrong end of the stick...
Isn't the FA Cup a bit of a side-show / novelty compared to the Premier League which is the proper championship anyway?

If I understand this right, the first 10 (or however many) races would just be qualifying to get through to the main elimination races?
Flip109
4/2/2015 2:53am
I'm for it. The end of the supercross season seems to suck more often than not. What have we got to lose? Try it for a few seasons and if it doesn't work go back to this shit.
4/2/2015 4:31am
NO. I think it works for team sports, but supercross isn't really a team sport. I give all my stick and ball friends crap over this. It will turn into one big practice season, and than have a small race season.
What we need to do is work on the problems of why a lot of the riders don't make it through a season healthy ?
Flip109
4/2/2015 4:46am Edited Date/Time 4/2/2015 4:47am
I see good points from both sides. It does suck for us at the end of the season for dungey to be running away with it like he is. But at the same time he should be rewarded for his solid finishes and tenacity with a healthy points lead. There really isn't much you can do I guess. Like stantdm stated above. Just gotta enjoy each race for what it is once the points get like they are...
ATKpilot99
4/2/2015 4:57am
I say no to a chase format . I like it the way it is but if you want a change just throw out the points . The rider with the most wins can be champ.

Post a reply to: Is it time to have playoffs?

The Latest