Is it time to have more SX races outside of stadiums?

mx 219
Fantasy
974th
Edited Date/Time 3/17/2021 8:43am
Seeing the upcoming Atlanta rounds and the fact that we are getting awfully short lap times at multiple venues this year I have to ask the question is it time to consider a few different venues like Atlanta Motor Speedway and similar venues?

Don't get me wrong, I think they should certainly have some rounds in stadiums, but SX was the Superbowl of Motocross, it started with motocross in mind. Why not try to have more tracks with a different layout, longer tracks that hopefully won't get beat up as badly with longer lap times? Tracks like Daytona, I think, would make for better racing and different track designs.

The good from last night was the lap times were more than 50 seconds, but the track was pretty one lined and tight. I think having half of the rounds in stadiums and half the rounds in outdoor venues where they can try different track designs would be a welcome change. I would actually prefer to see all of the rounds outside of stadiums, but I don't think that will happen.
|
RalphS
3/17/2021 5:59am
One can only wish but not gonna happen, Stadiums means more $$$ for the promoter ... Look at MXGP they're forcing outdoor into raceways/speedways.
3/17/2021 6:01am
They can't afford to buy more dirt. They can't even afford trophy's. I'm just happy they are willing to lose money at every round so we can have SX racing this year.

The Shop

kb228
3/17/2021 6:04am
I thought daytona was the best race of the season hands down. I didnt even watch last nights race because the entire season except daytona is “startercross”. Wow how entertaining is it to watch 15 guys on the same second lap time ride around in virtually the same order and doing the same lines for 22 mins.
gt80rider
3/17/2021 7:18am
I think supercross has run its course at this point..... all races should be outdoors.....
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
3/17/2021 7:46am
Am I missing something about the short lap times? What does it matter?
Not sure if it's the laptimes or the tracks, but I I feel like many of the tracks this year have not presented many passing opportunities. I think that having a change like Daytona could change that. They could make long rhythm sections that could allow for passing, similar to Toronto 2014.

I just feel like the racing has been very mediocre and has become "startercross" similar to what was mentioned above.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
3/17/2021 7:55am
They have plenty, it's call the pro motocross nationals.
tek14
3/17/2021 8:22am
Everyone says Yes!
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/17/2021 8:37am
Supercross is the sport which brings motocross to the masses. Anywhere you can race an event with seating, parking, and handicapped access are fine with me. Like it or not, the money that comes from SX helps all the teams afford their MX seasons. (Eyeballs = ROI from an advertising point of view.)
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
3/17/2021 8:43am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2021 8:43am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
They have plenty, it's call the pro motocross nationals.
So you think the racing this year has been good? Lots of opportunities to pass?

Seems to me there isn't much separating the top riders.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
3/17/2021 8:54am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2021 8:59am
Falcon wrote:
Supercross is the sport which brings motocross to the masses. Anywhere you can race an event with seating, parking, and handicapped access are fine with me...
Supercross is the sport which brings motocross to the masses. Anywhere you can race an event with seating, parking, and handicapped access are fine with me. Like it or not, the money that comes from SX helps all the teams afford their MX seasons. (Eyeballs = ROI from an advertising point of view.)
Daytona Speedway has 101,000 seating capacity, say you cut that in half for visibility that is still a lot of people.

Atlanta Motor Speedway is 71,000 - 125,000 depending on configuration according to them. Once again, a ton of people, even if cut in half.

I am proposing viable options, not Chicken Licks Raceway.
Logan_724
3/17/2021 9:11am
Figured I’d post this in here rather than starting a new thread. Not exactly the same topic but it’s about the tracks. But everyone complains about the tracks being one lined (understandable) but maybe it’s because these riders and teams have so much data, such as the litpro that they know 100% what the fast line is etc?
visser62
3/17/2021 9:14am
Supercross is a great show, but the outdoors makes for better racing every year. Tomac gets a bad start? Who cares? He'll just beast mode his way past every one.
EngIceDave
3/17/2021 9:21am
It's taken me a while to get there, but I have.

The bikes and rider talents have come to where they can go from one end of a stadium to the other in three touches, and everyone can do it. Nothing special about it. They can all jump everything. When it comes to the elites, it's down to fractions like F1, and like F1, if you get the holeshot just wave bye-bye.

IMO, we need to look at more hybrids like Daytona and Atlanta. Not saying every race or city, but some.

I think it's time
Logan_724
3/17/2021 9:24am
EngIceDave wrote:
It's taken me a while to get there, but I have. The bikes and rider talents have come to where they can go from one end...
It's taken me a while to get there, but I have.

The bikes and rider talents have come to where they can go from one end of a stadium to the other in three touches, and everyone can do it. Nothing special about it. They can all jump everything. When it comes to the elites, it's down to fractions like F1, and like F1, if you get the holeshot just wave bye-bye.

IMO, we need to look at more hybrids like Daytona and Atlanta. Not saying every race or city, but some.

I think it's time
None of us know what ATL is going to be like. But I mean we assume it’s going to be a hard pack clay base. So I wonder how much different it will really be?
EngIceDave
3/17/2021 9:44am
Logan_724 wrote:
None of us know what ATL is going to be like. But I mean we assume it’s going to be a hard pack clay base. So...
None of us know what ATL is going to be like. But I mean we assume it’s going to be a hard pack clay base. So I wonder how much different it will really be?
Agreed, but we also have decades of races at Daytona.

There was also a time auto racing facilities had MX tracks, and a hybrid will do the trick
JustMX
3/17/2021 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2021 2:48pm
Bristol speedway has covered their concrete track with red clay and are hosting late model, world of outlaws, and nascar monster cup racing on dirt over the next several weeks.

If it becomes an annual deal, then feld should consider running there.

Re configure the dirt using part of the infield, run a race (or 3) and let the facility move out dirt as they would have had to anyway. The track could be built all the way up against the track wall next to the seats.

Place seats what? 150,000?

Has so many awesome features like the jumbo screen in the infield.

Only open the side that the track is built on, parking everywhere, experienced staff that understand the logistics of big motorsports events.

Facility is at the intersection of 2 four lane highways. So in and out is a breeze.

Hillbilly will probably even show up.
BobPA
3/17/2021 2:45pm
JustMX wrote:
Bristol speedway has covered their concrete track with red clay and are hosting late model, world of outlaws, and nascar monster cup racing on dirt over...
Bristol speedway has covered their concrete track with red clay and are hosting late model, world of outlaws, and nascar monster cup racing on dirt over the next several weeks.

If it becomes an annual deal, then feld should consider running there.

Re configure the dirt using part of the infield, run a race (or 3) and let the facility move out dirt as they would have had to anyway. The track could be built all the way up against the track wall next to the seats.

Place seats what? 150,000?

Has so many awesome features like the jumbo screen in the infield.

Only open the side that the track is built on, parking everywhere, experienced staff that understand the logistics of big motorsports events.

Facility is at the intersection of 2 four lane highways. So in and out is a breeze.

Hillbilly will probably even show up.
I'm jealous man, Sprint cars and late models are cool to see. I go to a handful of events every year...selinsgrove half mile is not far from me and a few of my friends run 600's, so I turn a few wrenches as well.
ShawdowGlen
3/17/2021 3:11pm
4 strokes have killed Supercross as we knew it. I'm not going to say it's boring....but what I refer to as the "Flying Wallenda Family Circus" of rhythm jumps has gotten stale. It's Gymnastics on two wheels.

2 Strokes took more skill to ride at the razor edge.

I miss truly challenging tracks. Tracks are too fast and the riders are getting slaughtered more than they ever did back in the day.
DonM
3/17/2021 3:48pm
gt80rider wrote:
I think supercross has run its course at this point..... all races should be outdoors.....
Another epic positive post by you...
SEEMEFIRST
3/17/2021 6:49pm
gt80rider wrote:
This.
Motocross is so much better than SX.

SX just puts athletes at risk for someone else to make money.

Scrap it, and race outside where it belongs.

I appreciate that guys get paid more for SX, and understand the why, but it's become a circus show that hurts a lot of kids.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to can SX altogether.
Nairb#70
3/17/2021 8:51pm
Outdoor SX is a great idea, without the spatial limitations of a stadium. Lets call it MX!!GrinningGrinningGrinning
Boggins
3/17/2021 9:05pm
SX is becoming ArenaX with -50 sec lap times
spimx
3/17/2021 9:36pm
I still love watching supercross. Loved it in the 90s and still do today
MasonMan
3/17/2021 10:15pm
It's about to happen with three rounds at Atlanta Motor speedway?, or did I see the schedule wrong?
BS12
3/17/2021 11:27pm
I had a similar concept in mind.

The power and capability increases of the bikes, and of course rider skill appears to have outgrown traditional stadium floor space. I was going to start a topic on it, but didn't, but concept of "Super, Supercross.

No need for monster tracks or jumps or anything, but you could afford to go slightly bigger in standard rhythm gaps, triples, finish double, lengths of lanes etc. Instead of a "double, triple, triple" being the standard length of a lane, it could be say 5 or 6 "gaps" long. Maybe even don't change the standard height/length of jumps at all, just allow for longer lanes so guys can set up out of a corner, get along side someone and work to make a pass before having to shuffle back in to the 1 fast line in a corner. Maybe something like a 1:05 to 1:10 is a standard lap time?

Just thoughts.
3/17/2021 11:51pm
Boggins wrote:
SX is becoming ArenaX with -50 sec lap times
As I couldn’t get a response from the OP, I’ll ask you...

What does it matter how long the lap time is?
A bike race is a bike race. One athlete testing his equipment and skills as hard as he can against 19 other athletes. Whether the lap time is 25 seconds or 25 minutes- what does the lap time matter??

Post a reply to: Is it time to have more SX races outside of stadiums?

The Latest