Is banning electronic aids better for the sport.

Ingjr1
3/12/2020 2:20pm
You can't stop technology.
hubbardmx50
3/12/2020 2:21pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Less electronic aid and no holeshot devices!
rob162 wrote:
You can't take away the holeshot devices that's the only way i can touch the ground on starts and that's with 10mm lower sub frame, a...
You can't take away the holeshot devices that's the only way i can touch the ground on starts and that's with 10mm lower sub frame, a short seat and my suspension cut down a inch!
Use starting blocks bro
Mit12
3/12/2020 6:06pm
It’s a be careful of what you wish for thing. Do you want $15,000 Mx bikes?
arunkxf
3/13/2020 2:53am
Vital MX: We need to grow the sport, how do we get people into riding? Also Vital MX: We need to remove all things that help...
Vital MX: We need to grow the sport, how do we get people into riding?

Also Vital MX: We need to remove all things that help the rider!

Seriously though, on one hand I can see where you guys are coming from. But I feel like taking away all aids is not the best thing to do. TC? Sure. Yeah, having the best possible traction 100% of the time is good for faster lap times but not everyone who rides cares about having the fastest lap. Not necessary, and I for one like feeling the rear end break loose on the gas from time to time. Holeshot devices? Debatable.

The thing is, its a lot more expensive nowadays, some for the good i.e. technology in safety equipment, helmets, neck braces etc...

But bikes are so expensive and the best beginner bike is really a 125. cheap and good way to learn the ropes. A new 450 is not gonna help anyone new looking to get into the sport.

The sport used to be massive back in the day and there were only two strokes available. People are not being put off by the bike, they would just rather stay at home and play video games or get drunk every weekend. There are less and less kids I see at the tracks compared to the adult groups.

The Shop

3/14/2020 1:40pm
Vital MX: We need to grow the sport, how do we get people into riding? Also Vital MX: We need to remove all things that help...

Seriously though, on one hand I can see where you guys are coming from. But I feel like taking away all aids is not the best thing to do. TC? Sure. Yeah, having the best possible traction 100% of the time is good for faster lap times but not everyone who rides cares about having the fastest lap. Not necessary, and I for one like feeling the rear end break loose on the gas from time to time. Holeshot devices? Debatable.

arunkxf wrote:
The thing is, its a lot more expensive nowadays, some for the good i.e. technology in safety equipment, helmets, neck braces etc... But bikes are so...
The thing is, its a lot more expensive nowadays, some for the good i.e. technology in safety equipment, helmets, neck braces etc...

But bikes are so expensive and the best beginner bike is really a 125. cheap and good way to learn the ropes. A new 450 is not gonna help anyone new looking to get into the sport.

The sport used to be massive back in the day and there were only two strokes available. People are not being put off by the bike, they would just rather stay at home and play video games or get drunk every weekend. There are less and less kids I see at the tracks compared to the adult groups.
The popularity has ZERO to do with two stroke vs four. Outdoor action sports overall are just not what they used to be. Kids are just not into this stuff any more....
arunkxf
3/16/2020 7:29am

arunkxf wrote:
The thing is, its a lot more expensive nowadays, some for the good i.e. technology in safety equipment, helmets, neck braces etc... But bikes are so...

The popularity has ZERO to do with two stroke vs four. Outdoor action sports overall are just not what they used to be. Kids are just...
The popularity has ZERO to do with two stroke vs four. Outdoor action sports overall are just not what they used to be. Kids are just not into this stuff any more....
What I said...

just mentioned the costs doesn't help
Ebs
3/16/2020 8:08am
Robot aids? I'm still worried about regular aids.
Frodad78
3/16/2020 8:13am
Ebs wrote:
Robot aids? I'm still worried about regular aids.
chuck356
3/16/2020 10:06am
Many forms of motorsports are not as interesting (in my opinion) as they were back in the old days, Moto GP and F1 cars are good examples.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
3/16/2020 11:08am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Less electronic aid and no holeshot devices!
rob162 wrote:
You can't take away the holeshot devices that's the only way i can touch the ground on starts and that's with 10mm lower sub frame, a...
You can't take away the holeshot devices that's the only way i can touch the ground on starts and that's with 10mm lower sub frame, a short seat and my suspension cut down a inch!
Use starting blocks bro
True but you can have separate classes
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
3/16/2020 11:09am
chuck356 wrote:
Many forms of motorsports are not as interesting (in my opinion) as they were back in the old days, Moto GP and F1 cars are good...
Many forms of motorsports are not as interesting (in my opinion) as they were back in the old days, Moto GP and F1 cars are good examples.
Nascar to imo
kijen
3/16/2020 12:12pm
I know that tracks and lap times are hard to compare, but has there been a noticeable decrease of lap times over the last 10 to 20 years, has the technology really made a differnce. Using golf as an example sure average drive distance is dramatic, but overall score average is not much imropved, for the average guy pretty sure no improvement.
Johnny Depp
3/16/2020 4:34pm
endurox wrote:
100 percent stock bikes in the 250 class and claiming rule of 20k in the 450 class. Stock means spring changes and grips only.
Nice idea, but wow you are harsh. Maybe tires...
3/16/2020 8:28pm
kijen wrote:
I know that tracks and lap times are hard to compare, but has there been a noticeable decrease of lap times over the last 10 to...
I know that tracks and lap times are hard to compare, but has there been a noticeable decrease of lap times over the last 10 to 20 years, has the technology really made a differnce. Using golf as an example sure average drive distance is dramatic, but overall score average is not much imropved, for the average guy pretty sure no improvement.
Actually your right. Golf equipment being so much better has made ball striking worse. Club forgiveness has no feedback and degraded the golf swing. Players were better 30 years ago. Technology has drawbacks too
arunkxf
3/17/2020 2:08am
chuck356 wrote:
Many forms of motorsports are not as interesting (in my opinion) as they were back in the old days, Moto GP and F1 cars are good...
So true, used to love rally back in the day. Group B rally Cool

Agree with F1 too, I dont watch the stuff as much, mostly supercross now but I love doing it all myself.

3/17/2020 5:38am
I think rider aids on bikes for consumers is fine. For professionals, I don't think there should be anything that can override the rider input. So changing engine mapping via the ECU is fine, but traction control is not.
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
3/17/2020 7:02am
rob162 wrote:
Watching Daytona and talking amongst a few moto buddy's. I put it out there, is it time to start limiting this stuff some. Litpros, data aquistion...
Watching Daytona and talking amongst a few moto buddy's. I put it out there, is it time to start limiting this stuff some. Litpros, data aquistion, traction control, start maps ECT ECT. Having rode a efi and a carbed bike with a true factory ecu vs a vortex and remapped OEM it's sick what that factory ecu can do. Just curious what the vital brain trust thinks.
Unfortunately I think that time has passed. I wish they'd step back and take start maps, and grates out of the equation. Don't get me started on traction control....hate the thought of it.

Would I like to go back in time on electronic help...YES! Will it happen...NO. Only going to get worse.
Johnny Depp
3/17/2020 7:07am
Lap times will always rule the day, if there is a way to make it faster they will.

When E-bikes make their way back, these type of conversations will be abundant, talking about the good old days.
GCBC
3/17/2020 5:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2020 5:18pm
MX is 10-15years behind the sport bike world. Bikes will all be completely unserviceable by normal people. It is impossible for them to weight less than 220lbs and will only increase in weight, complexity and price especially as the sport continues to decline. Manufactures like in ALL other industries will starting putting out more and more new models with bigger and scarier problems/engineering/design flaws with no consequence because Americans prove time and time again everyone just wants the newest hottest pile of shit so they can flex it on social media.

I think vintage (carb'd bikes LOL) are going to increase in popularity and value very soon as ever already seen for the nicer two strokes.

On the tech side I think the sport will die out before we see 5axis accelerometers with lean angle and pitch sensitive abs and traction-control in consumer models. I do know id be a buyer at the 15k price point for a turn key 50whp 250f with stellar suspension full exhaust and all the good bits, similar to the RSV4 factory/ Panigale R models. better suspension wheels exhaust, ti crank/rods, ecu etc. turn key
Spagina767
3/17/2020 5:43pm
I think it’s cool but it just separates the elite more and more.

Bikes are so good right now, I’d love to see a lineup where the guys can only change:

Spring rates
Bars
Grips
Plastics and graphics

These guys would still haul the mail. And I’m betting the gap from 1st to 15th would be much different.

Post a reply to: Is banning electronic aids better for the sport.

The Latest