Is anybody tuning in to Pulp tonight?

B Gotti
Fantasy
4184th
8/16/2022 11:28am
You also said the price should be increased on a claim, blah blah. Can't remember how many times you said it. It is evident where you...
You also said the price should be increased on a claim, blah blah. Can't remember how many times you said it. It is evident where you stand on this topic.

Your thought process makes no sense. What good is the rule if the average everyday joe can't possibly claim?

I get it you just want the amateur scene to be fair. Everyone can build the best possible bike no budget. I think we might already have a few races that meet that criteria maybe they have some label like pro something or other????.
Matthes wrote:
I did say that, I had a couple of companies reach out to me and say that it's not hard to put not that many things...
I did say that, I had a couple of companies reach out to me and say that it's not hard to put not that many things on a bike to double the price of it...because honestly, 17K (when you look at the amount of money average people are putting into amateur MX these days- 17K is like the price of just the trailer they're bringing to the race) isn't that much in todays racing world with four-strokes, suspension, motor, wheels, etc.

But whatever, thats just my opinion. As I said, 14X, Brennan should have the bike.
WTH kind of logic is that? Make a rule to level the playing field that most people could never attain? You make no sense. Hell I...
WTH kind of logic is that? Make a rule to level the playing field that most people could never attain?

You make no sense. Hell I think an amateur bike should be stock minus normal changes such as suspension and bolt ons. That is just me though. I think the typical 1.3x claim value should be across the board, because it's the amateur class. Let's let rider talent be the showcased... Oh yeah that's not what this is about.

What does a trailer have to do with a bike? The racers don't ride the trailer in the race. They can buy a 2.5 million dollar rig if they want. However when the rubber hits the track things should be as even as possible. This isn't factory racing here bud.

Wow!!
Come on dude life isn't always even or fair. I got a trophy waiting for you to pick up for posting.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
8/16/2022 11:34am
MX114 wrote:
Been a pulp fan since day one. I’ve even donated things to Steve like jerseys and memorabilia for the studio. However, lost a ton of respect...
Been a pulp fan since day one. I’ve even donated things to Steve like jerseys and memorabilia for the studio. However, lost a ton of respect for Steve and Keefer. It’s obvious there bought and paid for by Yamaha. Keefer saying it’s a “unsaid rule not to claim a bike or you will be blackballed” is all I needed to hear. Wow dude! You really changed my opinion of you, and how much of a “soul rider” you claim to be is bullshit. Just like Washington DC the motocross industry is corrupt and in somebody’s pocket. You guys call yourselves journalists but your far from it! At least JT$ kept it real. Otherwise a pathetic excuse of a show
Hey Guys to clear things up a bit.. If you listen back to the show I am FOR Schofield to get the bike, like I said...
Hey Guys to clear things up a bit.. If you listen back to the show I am FOR Schofield to get the bike, like I said on the show. It’s legal and he should have it. All I am saying is if I was his father I would have told him how the industry would “possibly” view him after he claimed the bike. If he was to take his racing career further in the future to the professional or A class level he “could” be somewhat blackballed. That’s all. Is that thought process right by the industry? No! Kid is doing it legal and for whatever reason he wants! I am not the one saying HE SHOULD be overlooked by a team, but it’s our motorcycle world we live in! I’ve been around this a bit and I know how screwed up some inner workings can be/or is. No more no less. He did everything the correct way. He should have the bike, plain and simple. But when Craig Martin comes on the show and validates my point, on if he was still the amateur racing coordinator, he might bypass on someone like Schofield. This just shows how the perception of a kid claiming a bike can be in our industry. That was my point. Am I making the rules? No. Do I agree with how things possibly unfolded or with everything in our sport? No. I just know how crap can be viewed within in it. Brennan didn’t get what he laid his cash down for and all of this sucks. For everyone. Just hope he continues to love riding/racing his dirt bike and this crap doesn’t leave too much of a bad taste in his mouth to deter why we all ride. Because we love it.
Everything you typed came across clearly in the interview, but that's not the point.

The point is that you seem to be defending this unspoken rule, which is detrimental to the rules and ultimately hurts people trying to be competitive against Star Yamaha, Team Green, etc. There is NO reason why these bikes should cost that much.

Yes, you and Steve keep saying he should get the bike, only because that's in the rule.

No one is calling out these teams for having such expensive, pro-level bikes at an amateur race in the first place. If we want our sport to grow, this is a big issue we must address. If you want to have an unspoken rule, make it about how even the best teams will keep things somewhat fair compared to non-sponsored riders.

Having such exotic bikes hurts both the team and the rider.

1. Now the whole moto industry knows that Star bikes are pretty much pro bikes (with few differences). How's that help sell Yamahas? It not only gives them a bad look, but it puts an asterisk next to their wins.

2. How does racing a "pro" bike help the rider when it's time to move up to the pros and suddenly everyone's on a fast bike? It doesn't, at all.

This whole thing is so stupid, but the worst part is how everyone's focused on the wrong issue.
McG194
8/16/2022 11:41am
Hey Guys to clear things up a bit.. If you listen back to the show I am FOR Schofield to get the bike, like I said...
Hey Guys to clear things up a bit.. If you listen back to the show I am FOR Schofield to get the bike, like I said on the show. It’s legal and he should have it. All I am saying is if I was his father I would have told him how the industry would “possibly” view him after he claimed the bike. If he was to take his racing career further in the future to the professional or A class level he “could” be somewhat blackballed. That’s all. Is that thought process right by the industry? No! Kid is doing it legal and for whatever reason he wants! I am not the one saying HE SHOULD be overlooked by a team, but it’s our motorcycle world we live in! I’ve been around this a bit and I know how screwed up some inner workings can be/or is. No more no less. He did everything the correct way. He should have the bike, plain and simple. But when Craig Martin comes on the show and validates my point, on if he was still the amateur racing coordinator, he might bypass on someone like Schofield. This just shows how the perception of a kid claiming a bike can be in our industry. That was my point. Am I making the rules? No. Do I agree with how things possibly unfolded or with everything in our sport? No. I just know how crap can be viewed within in it. Brennan didn’t get what he laid his cash down for and all of this sucks. For everyone. Just hope he continues to love riding/racing his dirt bike and this crap doesn’t leave too much of a bad taste in his mouth to deter why we all ride. Because we love it.
People won't be happy unless you say Fuck the Deegans, Fuck the AMA, Fuck MX Sports, Fuck Yamaha and Fuck Matthes.

The internet mob has decided who the bad guys are, and they will not be swayed. You have a completely logical point of view. The reality is the kid is fucked if the claim stands, there is no official black ball list but potential sponsors and teams would look at him with a sideways eye. The reality is even withdrawing the claim the kid has an uphill battle in this sport. You are spot on in your take. You are expressing the reality of the situation even if it sucks.

P.S. They should have went to me when Preston was on about the 350. I have actual numbers of participation at events. Not to mention suggestions to get a good displacement without too much engineering.
holyroller1
Fantasy
350th
8/16/2022 11:41am
B Gotti wrote:
Come on dude life isn't always even or fair. I got a trophy waiting for you to pick up for posting.
HAHA! I am right down in the cincy area. Can we meet half way to get my trophy?

I get some people don't agree that it should be a level playing field. Get rid of the rule, up it to 5x MSRP, do whatever.

I don't agree but hey I am just a nobody waiting for his next trophy. OK, OK I will drive to Columbus to get my trophy. Cool

The Shop

McG194
8/16/2022 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 12:16pm
Steve, totally agree you did say, he should have the bike. I guess what would have been cool is if there was more support for Brennen...
Steve, totally agree you did say, he should have the bike.

I guess what would have been cool is if there was more support for Brennen not to be "blackballed" because he tried to do this. Not saying Pulp would, but the industry. The "unspoken rule" that someone should do this needs to go away.
The teams needs to take it on the chin if they get a bike claimed, and move on. Shouldn't effect any kids/family future of support level.

In a dream scenario, this would be great for AM racing. And why I +1 JT$, because he said(to the context of), if someone claims a bike and is blackballed from support, the rule is flawed. Totally agree with statement, everyone either needs to man up to the rule or remove it.
Matthes wrote:
I don't know much about being blackballed, that was Keefer and Craig Martin (who know more about amateur racing than me) but as I said, if...
I don't know much about being blackballed, that was Keefer and Craig Martin (who know more about amateur racing than me) but as I said, if the kid was winning and he claimed a bike, it wouldn't matter. If you perform, you can do just about anything. I really think that everyone in this is not telling the whole story..everyone. Including Brennen, who should have the bike BTW.
Steve, enough with the wishy washy do you think Brennan should get the bike?

Hahahahhahahaha

The fact is someone in all the relative parties is lying about how it all went down and we will never know. Why can't people accept it and move on?

The standard 1.3 claiming rule is ridiculous because I could blow right by the 1.3 value of my KTM 350 I had to buy when I sold my 15 YZ250FX just with cone valve forks. The claiming rule has already come up in an FTR post and I'm sure we will be addressing it as an organization.

As far as blackballing, some of you guys should watch for something you don't like at work and sue your company. Tell me how that works out for you.
TeamGreen
8/16/2022 12:15pm
WTH kind of logic is that? Make a rule to level the playing field that most people could never attain? You make no sense. Hell I...
WTH kind of logic is that? Make a rule to level the playing field that most people could never attain?

You make no sense. Hell I think an amateur bike should be stock minus normal changes such as suspension and bolt ons. That is just me though. I think the typical 1.3x claim value should be across the board, because it's the amateur class. Let's let rider talent be the showcased... Oh yeah that's not what this is about.

What does a trailer have to do with a bike? The racers don't ride the trailer in the race. They can buy a 2.5 million dollar rig if they want. However when the rubber hits the track things should be as even as possible. This isn't factory racing here bud.

Wow!!
Matthes wrote:
You have one opinion, I have another on the price of what a bike should be to claim. No big deal here bro, calm down. Both...
You have one opinion, I have another on the price of what a bike should be to claim. No big deal here bro, calm down. Both of us have valid points and it's ok to disagree. In the end, neither you or I set the price or make the rules.
2023 YZ250F $8,599.
dbl that
2023 Claim = $17,198

Seems to me that the intent of the rule is to keep racing affordable for MORE people...

It's NOT to protect those that build the complete race-bikes or make the aftermarket parts (that's me) or build engines or make a pipe or build custom suspension...it -is not- to protect them.

The intent is to KEEP THE COST OF RACING REASONABLE...notably...in the Modified and other classes where we seem to turn our "B" riders into Factory Stars.

So,"Why isn't $17,200 ENOUGH?!"

Answer: I think it is.

Well, I think you get "the real point"...People...sometimes Factory Teams/Support Teams ARE spending too much damn money on these Amateur Race Bikes. Even Mitch Payton has made that point.

Look, I get the simple fact that a Ti-Carbon pipe is $1,300. I know that a mod'd engine isn't cheap! I know that far too many of the bikes on the line at LL's have waaaaaaay more than $8,600 in mods invested in them.

And THAT is the problem.

Declaration: I make some of the stuff that's on some of the most expensive parts that people buy for their bikes. So, I get it. But, we need real limits and they need to be "good for the sport".

Soooooo many of these amateur bikes would be reasonable if we -actually- enforce this rule as it is currently written.

Here's an easy example:

$2,000 Suspension including re-springing
$1,300 Ti-Carbon Pipe
$1,000 ECU with tune
$4,000 Engine Build

$8,300 Total

This is an example of a pseudo-reasonable build. Far too many people are gonna chime in and say,"That's not enough for an engine build!"

And THAT is the problem.

There are going to be arguments over what things on my list are needed...or not...and then there;s going to be other points made about allll the other stuff people put on their bikes from Nihilo Ti Pegs ($800!) to their custom graphics.

All of which STILL makes the point.

Lower the cost.
Level the playing field or at the very least, make it a bit more reasonable.
This is, supposedly, Amateur Racing.

Steve, you of all people...would probably LOVE (and I'd bet even get involved with) a "YZ250 Invitational" where every rider is on a production bike with very few, if any, mods...let's say...something that really makes sense and partly because it's "soooo reasonable"...

Suspension (Revalved/Resprung STOCK)
A pipe/silencer
Jetting
Fuel
Tires
Seat
Bars
Grips
Levers

And let's say it, out-loud, so that we all understand what we really dig about that...

It get's us back to what this sport is all about: The Racing.
Phil109
8/16/2022 12:18pm
I can't believe some of the rich parents in the A & B classes don't do this shit more often.

"Son, I think its time we get one of the big dogs bikes and see what it's all about!"Laughing

marx41
Fantasy
904th
8/16/2022 12:29pm
I typically think Matthes is openly biased, and most times not an impartial participant in ANY conversation. So with that said I was very intrigued to...
I typically think Matthes is openly biased, and most times not an impartial participant in ANY conversation. So with that said I was very intrigued to watch the Pulp Show during this segment....
I think he was actually pretty fair on this one, which is not what I expected. Keefer is a passionate dude and definitely goes on tangents and grasps at random thoughts and rabbit holes, but nobody in that room said the kid shouldn't have the bike.
They even ALL agreed the motivation for the claim was completely irrelevant.
Yes, JT was definitely the most articulate one in the conversation, which is usually how it goes.
Brennan SHOULD have the bike, everything else past that is a mess and was acknowledged on the show.
A lot of the critics on here are glossing over that "small" fact of the dealer pulling dad aside and then boom the claim is gone. We need an interview with the dad, period.
I think Luce, the dealer, and Walker are all complicit in this nonsense. I can't stand the Deegans but I don't think Brian was the villain here.

Also, the fact nobody said "Pulpitzer" on the show is pathetic...🤦🏼‍♂️
I’ll have you know I said it and Steve did not find it worthy of mentioning. Add it to his list of offenses for the evening.
GG121
8/16/2022 12:50pm
Matthes wrote:
I think I said Brennen should have the bike, like, 14 different times on the show.
And how many times did you say that you think the claiming price should be raised next year? Why? If you think the price should be raised, to me that says the factory teams should continue to keep building factory bikes for these amateur kids, and the regular people can go kick dirt. The rule is in place to even the playing field. I agree that Deegan would have won on any bike, that doesn't change the fact that he is riding a bike that no one else can even come close to building. Craig Martin straight up said he would blackball a kid who used an AMA rule, and JT tried to challenge that, and you promptly ended the call and moved on. If the factory teams cannot be challenged, then amateur racing as it stands is broken.
8/16/2022 12:54pm
marx41 wrote:
I’ll have you know I said it and Steve did not find it worthy of mentioning. Add it to his list of offenses for the evening...
I’ll have you know I said it and Steve did not find it worthy of mentioning. Add it to his list of offenses for the evening.
It was SO obvious!! 😂🍻
azrb
8/16/2022 12:55pm
Steve, totally agree you did say, he should have the bike. I guess what would have been cool is if there was more support for Brennen...
Steve, totally agree you did say, he should have the bike.

I guess what would have been cool is if there was more support for Brennen not to be "blackballed" because he tried to do this. Not saying Pulp would, but the industry. The "unspoken rule" that someone should do this needs to go away.
The teams needs to take it on the chin if they get a bike claimed, and move on. Shouldn't effect any kids/family future of support level.

In a dream scenario, this would be great for AM racing. And why I +1 JT$, because he said(to the context of), if someone claims a bike and is blackballed from support, the rule is flawed. Totally agree with statement, everyone either needs to man up to the rule or remove it.
Matthes wrote:
I don't know much about being blackballed, that was Keefer and Craig Martin (who know more about amateur racing than me) but as I said, if...
I don't know much about being blackballed, that was Keefer and Craig Martin (who know more about amateur racing than me) but as I said, if the kid was winning and he claimed a bike, it wouldn't matter. If you perform, you can do just about anything. I really think that everyone in this is not telling the whole story..everyone. Including Brennen, who should have the bike BTW.
Steve, based on your past experiences with Yamaha the kid will be fine.
TahoeVetMX
8/16/2022 1:02pm
After watching the show, it just seems to me they are trying hard to claim Yamaha had nothing to do with trying to get the kid to drop the claim. I mean Yamaha offered engines and more to the kid. This is simple.........no detective would buy that Yamaha did not pressure people involved. They are trying to put the blame on Matt Walker and the dealer in order to take focus off of the big boys that are the only real people who could put pressure on everyone. I heard that basically someone is lying, and it is most likely Brennen.........maybe he is young and his mind is foggy! lol
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
8/16/2022 1:40pm

Wow!!
Matthes wrote:
You have one opinion, I have another on the price of what a bike should be to claim. No big deal here bro, calm down. Both...
You have one opinion, I have another on the price of what a bike should be to claim. No big deal here bro, calm down. Both of us have valid points and it's ok to disagree. In the end, neither you or I set the price or make the rules.
TeamGreen wrote:
2023 YZ250F $8,599. dbl that 2023 Claim = $17,198 Seems to me that the intent of the rule is to keep racing affordable for MORE people...
2023 YZ250F $8,599.
dbl that
2023 Claim = $17,198

Seems to me that the intent of the rule is to keep racing affordable for MORE people...

It's NOT to protect those that build the complete race-bikes or make the aftermarket parts (that's me) or build engines or make a pipe or build custom suspension...it -is not- to protect them.

The intent is to KEEP THE COST OF RACING REASONABLE...notably...in the Modified and other classes where we seem to turn our "B" riders into Factory Stars.

Well, I think you get "the real point"...People...sometimes Factory Teams/Support Teams ARE spending too much damn money on these Amateur Race Bikes. Even Mitch Payton has made that point.

Look, I get the simple fact that a Ti-Carbon pipe is $1,300. I know that a mod'd engine isn't cheap! I know that far too many of the bikes on the line at LL's have waaaaaaay more than $8,600 in mods invested in them.

And THAT is the problem.

Declaration: I make some of the stuff that's on some of the most expensive parts that people buy for their bikes. So, I get it. But, we need real limits and they need to be "good for the sport".

Soooooo many of these amateur bikes would be reasonable if we -actually- enforce this rule as it is currently written.

Here's an easy example:

$1,300 Ti-Carbon Pipe
$1,000 ECU with tune
$4,000 Engine Build

$8,300 Total

This is an example of a pseudo-reasonable build. Far too many people are gonna chime in and say,"That's not enough for an engine build!"

And THAT is the problem.

There are going to be arguments over what things on my list are needed...or not...and then there;s going to be other points made about allll the other stuff people put on their bikes from Nihilo Ti Pegs ($800!) to their custom graphics.

Lower the cost.

Steve, you of all people...would probably LOVE (and I'd bet even get involved with) a "YZ250 Invitational" where every rider is on a production bike with very few, if any, mods...let's say...something that really makes sense and partly because it's "soooo reasonable"...

A pipe/silencer
Jetting
Fuel
Tires
Seat
Bars
Grips
Levers

And let's say it, out-loud, so that we all understand what we really dig about that...

One of the few among the 100+ pages of this debacle who gets it.
yzmatt
8/16/2022 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 1:44pm
Matthes wrote:
I think I said Brennen should have the bike, like, 14 different times on the show.
GG121 wrote:
And how many times did you say that you think the claiming price should be raised next year? Why? If you think the price should be...
And how many times did you say that you think the claiming price should be raised next year? Why? If you think the price should be raised, to me that says the factory teams should continue to keep building factory bikes for these amateur kids, and the regular people can go kick dirt. The rule is in place to even the playing field. I agree that Deegan would have won on any bike, that doesn't change the fact that he is riding a bike that no one else can even come close to building. Craig Martin straight up said he would blackball a kid who used an AMA rule, and JT tried to challenge that, and you promptly ended the call and moved on. If the factory teams cannot be challenged, then amateur racing as it stands is broken.
Not to beat a long dead horse, but amateur racing has been broken since the forced move to 4 strokes and the massive hit to the affordability of racing that came long with it.
McG194
8/16/2022 1:48pm
Matthes wrote:
GG121 wrote:
And how many times did you say that you think the claiming price should be raised next year? Why? If you think the price should be...
I have no dog in the fight but the claiming rule is too low. When $6K gets you suspension that just gets you in the fight even the regular Joes have well over 2x MSRP in their racebikes when other standard mods are factored in.

https://aeopowersports.com/wp
B Gotti
Fantasy
4184th
8/16/2022 4:14pm
HAHA! I am right down in the cincy area. Can we meet half way to get my trophy? I get some people don't agree that it...
HAHA! I am right down in the cincy area. Can we meet half way to get my trophy?

I get some people don't agree that it should be a level playing field. Get rid of the rule, up it to 5x MSRP, do whatever.

I don't agree but hey I am just a nobody waiting for his next trophy. OK, OK I will drive to Columbus to get my trophy. Cool
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing best thing i've read all week.
Hi Side
8/16/2022 4:41pm
It was very predictable that Matthes and Keefer was going to tow the Yamaha line but damn I didn't think it would be to that extent. I lost respect for both of them.
8/16/2022 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 5:36pm
MX114 wrote:
Been a pulp fan since day one. I’ve even donated things to Steve like jerseys and memorabilia for the studio. However, lost a ton of respect...
Been a pulp fan since day one. I’ve even donated things to Steve like jerseys and memorabilia for the studio. However, lost a ton of respect for Steve and Keefer. It’s obvious there bought and paid for by Yamaha. Keefer saying it’s a “unsaid rule not to claim a bike or you will be blackballed” is all I needed to hear. Wow dude! You really changed my opinion of you, and how much of a “soul rider” you claim to be is bullshit. Just like Washington DC the motocross industry is corrupt and in somebody’s pocket. You guys call yourselves journalists but your far from it! At least JT$ kept it real. Otherwise a pathetic excuse of a show
Sorry Kris definitely back-pedalling on this forum now. I listened to the segment twice. That was hard to do as it was Very biased. But it didn’t come across this way and Steve and yourself are taking heat… And not because we are Forum Vitards. We are a vast cross-section of customers.
You really need to listen back with an unbiased opinion. You might feel inside your way, but it was definitely portrayed way differently on the show.
I feel going into to the show Steve definitely had a narrative to wanted to push.
Either way it’s a PR disaster for most involved.
8tensolutions
8/16/2022 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 5:44pm

Wow!!
Matthes wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
2023 YZ250F $8,599. dbl that 2023 Claim = $17,198 Seems to me that the intent of the rule is to keep racing affordable for MORE people...
2023 YZ250F $8,599.
dbl that
2023 Claim = $17,198

And THAT is the problem.

Here's an easy example:

$1,300 Ti-Carbon Pipe
$1,000 ECU with tune
$4,000 Engine Build

$8,300 Total

And THAT is the problem.

Lower the cost.

A pipe/silencer
Jetting
Fuel
Tires
Seat
Bars
Grips
Levers

The interview with Bobby Regan confirms it's a 50K bike. He also said any "normal" guys bike in pro sport or B class has 30-40K in their bikes. This is the problem ladies and gentleman. I disagree the other bikes are 30-40. A close friend of mine races at that level and is nowhere near that figure. I don't think Regan had anything to do with all this garbage, but there you go from the owner of the Team and their thought process.

Post a reply to: Is anybody tuning in to Pulp tonight?

The Latest