Is Wilson playin it up 2 much?

Dougy1
Edited Date/Time 11/9/2018 8:47am
Read Racer x article this week and was on the fence with their article on Dean. But after seeing his latest sketch im wondering if their right, and you can push the let's have fun and act ummm basically silly/ funny a tad too far if your serious about getting a solid ride for next year or beyond.
Or is this were it's at to get some attention or P.R.
|
11/7/2018 4:16am
Dean is serious about his racing and hes showed that in the past so I don’t think he’s hurting himself at all
js451
11/7/2018 4:17am
Looks like he has a creative side and enjoys making videos. Has the spare time and can earn a little cash, why not?
BobKerr
11/7/2018 4:42am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2018 4:43am
I think that article was wrong and completely off. Dean Wilson is obviously VERY serious about his racing. He just isn't a robot like a lot of other riders.
motomike894
11/7/2018 4:42am
He’s just growing his fan base ten fold, these videos are awesome and everyone I know agrees.

The Shop

11/7/2018 5:10am
I’d say he’s pretty serious about it. Look back a few years ago when he showed up as a privateer on a Yamaha. Right there showed he wants to race no matter what imo
c0ncEpT
11/7/2018 5:18am
Not every "serious" racer has to be a hermit and hate the process. Some people actually enjoy riding and racing a dirtbike for a living.
Talisker
11/7/2018 5:23am
Damn..... and we complain when riders dont say enough.
OUMX117
11/7/2018 5:31am
I wonder what a rider would have to do in order to meet the standards the Vital community.... geez
Question
11/7/2018 5:40am

2.2 millions views in less than 2 weeks... and it is bad ?

I think you want to hear he did it right as it is a huge success.

Just for comparison, here are some numbers Smile
- only 6 videos of James Stewart and Chad Reed have more views, over 4 to 9 years.
- In a quick search (McGrath, Roczen, Tomac) I didn't find videos with more views

So on top of making $2k directly from youtube, here Dean gives the best expusure to his brands, as these views are not made of potential customers for a $10 album but they are from people who buy 10k bikes, 1k gear, 4k parts, etc. Each view is then much more valuable than what youtube gives.

I hope creativity keeps rolling as on top of being entertaining it gives a good image to MX and its brands !

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
11/7/2018 5:47am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2018 5:51am
Imo What he is Doing is Great , people want personality!
I personally think too much emphasis is put on making MX an endurance sport, which is to the point of these guys not even Taking one Day to go free ride , it's crazy
The McGrath, Emig era's where better ,
It's part of the reason I put a post out recently saying maybe we should try less laps ,
And Make up for those laps somewhere else so the fans dont lose ,
But in cutting some laps , maybe these guys dont have to be Robots.
And the races being so long isnt gaining us any new fans , peoples attention spans seems to have gotten shorter.
In Saying too long I dont mean the lengths of the over all event , I mean individual Races being 30 minutes long.
brocster
11/7/2018 6:06am
How dare Dean take a few hours off of the “seriousness” and have a little fun. Sunofabitch, lighten up already. It case you don’t know social media “is” a thing, globally speaking.
davistld01
11/7/2018 6:28am
Dean is a goofball...and I like that he likes to have fun, but that he seems to be dead assed serious about his racing. Not many racers can have both of those personality traits. I hope the guy gets a solid contract this year & can keep his butt on the seat & off the ground. I believe Dean is growing into a consistent podium guy.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
11/7/2018 6:31am
Fan base and marketability gets you sponsors too. Go for it Deano.
aees
11/7/2018 6:40am
Three types of riders are the right one going forward, in terms of earning good money and teams looking at value:

1. The "in discussion" for a title type (and speed)
2. Second rider on factory teams (podium guy)
3. The fan type (personality)

1. Is the guy with both (ex Roczen maybe being the only one right now, potentially Andersson)
2. The guy with speed (ex Tomac)
3. Second rider on factory teams (podium guy, ex Barcia, Brayton)
4. The guy with fan base and personality (ex Reed)
5 is the rest.

As the sports gets bigger and get more exposure, the fan guy are getting more and more important. 3 years ago 722 and Aray would have had no chance on contracts they are getting today. Same with Stank.

Deano does the right thing building fan base since his chance on the other ones are not very optimistic.5 means a very unstable situation and an overflow of options. Sure his exposure to non-serious activity might from a professional look, seem a bit to much but it is also about moving the needle if you have no stability in winning or podiums.
BAMX
11/7/2018 6:54am
You can still train properly and have down time. Some people use that time to get their name out and raise their value to sponsors.
KMC440
11/7/2018 7:15am
Dumbgeon this please
Flush this already... dumbgeon was built for this garbage.
rjg
11/7/2018 7:33am
This kind of thinking is crazy. He is just having clean fun. Only sphincter tight corporate money slaves would question this as a bad thing.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
11/7/2018 7:39am
Well, he's got two options:

1. Sit at home waiting for the phone to ring

2. Try to prove to potential sponsors that he can bring them attention through creative use of social media

Whether I think it's funny or not, I will always admire someone who isn't willing to just sit and wait for someone to take pity on him or wait for his luck to turn around.

Keep it up Dean!
Moto520
11/7/2018 7:40am
I think he does great with marketing himself. Funny as hell....
ddog558
11/7/2018 7:56am
So....he should end every video and interview with a full "read my list of sponsors off the pitboard"...that should keep everyone from getting butthurt...Cool
a22
11/7/2018 8:51am
It is entertaining and also very well done! Big credit to the make up guy- Deano really did look old!
As to whether its 'marketing' himself- who cares really?

Damn good rider and a funny personality- I think its great to see a slant on things, as many have said, they find it genuinely funny and entertaining- its humour! and refreshing to see.Laughing
TeamGreen
11/7/2018 9:20am
I am absolutely loving what Deano is doing.

Deano is letting you peak behind the curtain with his latest "Privateer" videos.
Deano is PROVING that we can make this FUN and be "Seriously COMPETITIVE"...ALL at the same time.

Most importantly: Deano is proving the Never Quit Rule.

People want to know. Deano's letting them know. Hell, he's sharing the real world of being a pro and making it happen, on his own...no matter what life throws at ya. I think this is great and makes me even more stoked about the accomplishments of other privateers like The 7-Deuce-Deuce. Also, it reminds me that The Privateer Journey is still out there.

My favorite thing Deano's shared?

It's an old one...A few years ago, he shared the depression he was experiencing...his knee had let go on him...again...he'd talked about the challenges of trying to get his knee right and going back out there...again...or not. He shared what I've seen many of these guys go thru, and if you recall, he was brutally honest and kinda let the emotions come out. It was refreshing in it's "brutal honesty".

His brutal honesty and willingness to share it all is refreshing.

I'm a true Deano fan these days. I was there when he filmed that Old-Dude video...it was epic. It was as funny as KR's CRF intro video.
#RZRNick
11/7/2018 9:27am
Everything Dean is doing today, will also give him leverage after racing, it's smart on many levels. Once he reaches enough scale he can sponsor himself and ensure he is adding to his financial future and developing more income streams....
Naanak
11/7/2018 9:55am
Question wrote:
2.2 millions views in less than 2 weeks... and it is bad ? I think you want to hear he did it right as it is...

- only 6 videos of James Stewart and Chad Reed have more views, over 4 to 9 years.
- In a quick search (McGrath, Roczen, Tomac) I didn't find videos with more views

So on top of making $2k directly from youtube, here Dean gives the best expusure to his brands, as these views are not made of potential customers for a $10 album but they are from people who buy 10k bikes, 1k gear, 4k parts, etc. Each view is then much more valuable than what youtube gives.

I hope creativity keeps rolling as on top of being entertaining it gives a good image to MX and its brands !

Some car guys on YouTube make over 7k per million views so depending on all the factors that could have been a rather profitable video.
51xc
11/7/2018 10:32am
deano is such a disgrace to this sport. I rather listen to reed telling us how old he is at least 3 times in every interview or how zacho can't get enough of the lord.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/7/2018 10:41am
Question wrote:
2.2 millions views in less than 2 weeks... and it is bad ? I think you want to hear he did it right as it is...

Naanak wrote:
Some car guys on YouTube make over 7k per million views so depending on all the factors that could have been a rather profitable video.
Your CPM on YouTube is quit ranging. Typically vlog channels are much lower CPM then hobby or tech related channels, due to the ads YouTube will place against them. Also the location of the viewers makes a big difference in what sort of kick back you'd get.

While a tech channel like a car reviewer or GCN (global cycling network) can pull in around 6-8k on a million views, some of the biggest vloggers on YouTube might only get around 1-3k on the same amount of views.
Racer111
11/7/2018 11:22am
Anyone that doesn’t like what Dean is doing, please get the fuck out of our sport. We don’t need you.
FWYT
11/7/2018 11:27am
I absolutely love what Deano is doing. We all know he is a VERY competent racer and I love seeing these
humanistic clips. I'll take a racer doing fun vids over some trick-dude doing bro-show shit any day.

I think he's made it clear that he's going to privateer it again and he still does this fun stuff? Hell, yeah!

Dean is awesome. More power to him!!! Dean Wilson FTW!!!!!!!

Post a reply to: Is Wilson playin it up 2 much?

The Latest