Is Washougal a good track for spectators?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/9/2017 5:31 PM


Compared to other nationals where does Washougal rank for your average (non VIP area) spectator?
Are there decent spots that you can actually see large portions of the track?
I've only been to Supercross and love seeng all the action, i know no track will provide the same easy viewing experience as Supercross but I actually want to know what's going on....I won't be shotgunning beers all day :-)



|

7/9/2017 5:34 PM

Curious on this also. The 125 Dream Race will be there this round, only reason I'm debating going.

|

7/9/2017 5:45 PM

thearc wrote:
Compared to other nationals where does Washougal rank for your average (non VIP area) spectator?
Are there decent spots that you can actually see large portions of the track?
I've only been to Supercross and love seeng all the action, i know no track will provide the same easy viewing experience as Supercross but I actually want to know what's going on....I won't be shotgunning beers all day :-)



It's awesome. You can walk all over, through tunnels, and get a ton of different views of the track.

|

7/9/2017 6:04 PM

You can only see small amounts of the track at one time, not really any good place to sit and see a lot of the track but if you want to hike all day its a pretty cool track to see a national at

|

Ed Johnson

7/9/2017 6:20 PM

Track is not great for viewing large sections as mentioned above. You can find a few spots around horsepower hill and see quite a bit but the area is generally stuffed with people because everyone knows that's a good spot. Best bet is to hike around and watch each moto from a different spot. Beautiful country

|

7/9/2017 6:46 PM

kott0n wrote:

Curious on this also. The 125 Dream Race will be there this round, only reason I'm debating going.

You live 20 minutes from the track and you are debating on going ? most guys would have been to some of the local races there long before the national

|

7/9/2017 6:57 PM

MauriceR wrote:

You live 20 minutes from the track and you are debating on going ? most guys would have been to some of the local races there long before the national

I'm debating on road tripping and I live 1,100 miles away each way laughing

|

7/9/2017 7:14 PM

Some cool spots to watch. You can see a good portion of the track from horsepower hill. But an elephant ear will make it all worth it

|

7/9/2017 7:36 PM

It sounds bad I know! I've been wanting to go for years. Just got back into riding after college etc so the bug is back. Wife enjoys going and I'm trying to get her to go. To be honest the 2 stroke race is the biggest draw for me.

|

7/9/2017 7:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2017 7:57 PM

Villo2fan wrote:

Track is not great for viewing large sections as mentioned above. You can find a few spots around horsepower hill and see quite a bit but the area is generally stuffed with people because everyone knows that's a good spot. Best bet is to hike around and watch each moto from a different spot. Beautiful country

I agree. When you step back and look at it much of the track is sort of turn, straight, turn, not too exciting for spectating. The best parts of the track are all right in the middle. Horsepower Hill, the drop, the triple and sand wall are all right next to each other. The only other cool part of the track is the road jump and maybe the whoops. Great scenery and plenty of shade!!! I myself am a "hill person" usually camped out between the drop and the sand wall.

|

Official member of the ElHombre fan club


Team MooseCAN

7/9/2017 8:05 PM

kott0n wrote:

Curious on this also. The 125 Dream Race will be there this round, only reason I'm debating going.

MauriceR wrote:

You live 20 minutes from the track and you are debating on going ? most guys would have been to some of the local races there long before the national

I live 15 minutes from Hangtown and haven't gone in the last 3 yrs. I love the live tv coverage from my couch with no lines at the beer stand.. .err, I mean the fridge.

|

7/9/2017 8:07 PM

No.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

7/9/2017 8:12 PM

I enjoyed Washougal last year, it was my 2nd national with the other one being Hangtown back in 2011. Hangtown was better for staying in the one spot and being able to see a fair bit of the track but walking around Washougal to different sections was good. If you do go I highly recommend trying to get to as many different viewing points as possible especially horsepower hill. If you are going only for the 2 stroke race prepare to be disappointed as they aren't on the track for long enough, well last year they weren't. Just my 2 cents worth

|

7/9/2017 8:38 PM

I've been to 6 outdoor nationals and Washougal is my favorite overall. It's not the best soil to ride on, and you have to walk around to see everything, but you can't beat the Pacific Northwest in late July. It's spectacular scenery.

|

7/9/2017 8:49 PM

I've missed two since 1981. We also lost one year , many years ago. It's a once a year thing that I won't miss. I love going and have since I was real young. Lots of memorable things both good and bad over the years.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

7/9/2017 8:50 PM

I went to Washougal a few years ago and very much enjoyed it. Like others have mentioned, you can't see the majority of the track from any given spot but if you're up on horsepower hill you can see about 1/3 of the track. Horsepower hill is steep, probably steeper than you think, so keep that in mind when you choose what shoes to wear if you go.

|

7/9/2017 8:52 PM

The viewing isn't the best, but the weather is always good and you wont get complaints from the wife about how hot it is or anything like other nationals.

|

7/9/2017 9:48 PM

The best view is from behind the bars riding the track.

|

7/9/2017 10:25 PM

That's where I saw my first-ever MX race, back in the early 70s.

On the plus side? The scenery is amazing. The downside is all those damn trees. wink

Actually, a whole bunch of folks stake out areas on the hillside next to the downhill. It's shaded, and from there you can see Horsepower hill, the downhill, the S-turns, the section that heads out towards the back, and the whoops and finish line.

Of course, I do lots of hiking all over the facility, and don't stay in any one area too long. That's my preferred way to see it.

|

7/9/2017 11:58 PM

GuyB wrote:

That's where I saw my first-ever MX race, back in the early 70s.

On the plus side? The scenery is amazing. The downside is all those damn trees. wink

Actually, a whole bunch of folks stake out areas on the hillside next to the downhill. It's shaded, and from there you can see Horsepower hill, the downhill, the S-turns, the section that heads out towards the back, and the whoops and finish line.

Of course, I do lots of hiking all over the facility, and don't stay in any one area too long. That's my preferred way to see it.

Every so often I'll see acquaintences post pics of Washougal from the 70s and 80s. Looked like the track was in a field with a few patches of Christmas tree here and there. It's amazing how those trees have grown (money really does grow on trees in the PNW).

|

7/10/2017 12:42 AM

I flew over from New Zealand and absolutely loved it. Would go back in a heart beat

|

7/10/2017 2:19 AM

redbeard104 wrote:

I enjoyed Washougal last year, it was my 2nd national with the other one being Hangtown back in 2011. Hangtown was better for staying in the one spot and being able to see a fair bit of the track but walking around Washougal to different sections was good. If you do go I highly recommend trying to get to as many different viewing points as possible especially horsepower hill. If you are going only for the 2 stroke race prepare to be disappointed as they aren't on the track for long enough, well last year they weren't. Just my 2 cents worth

you been the guys with the Aussie flag?

|