Is This True?

whyZ
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 9:11am
Have a friend who's been on the fence about getting back into riding. After watching us ride at the track he finally decided to take the plunge and get a bike. I've had this 99'cr250r in my garage collecting dust and offered to sell it to him. He bougth it and has been wrenching in it, testing riding but it isn't getting into the power band.

He ended up bringint it to a friend of a friend mechanic and came to the conclusoin the CDI box is shot. Being as old as the bike he's having problems locating one through the local/internet parts stores. My friend finally located one on ebay and told the mechanic guy. Apperently the mechanic is hesitant about doing it because he said purchasing a used box is illegal. I've never heard of this, so I ask you guys, is this true?
|
mxb2
3/17/2011 8:33am
As long as its not stolen, buy it!
lappedrider
3/17/2011 8:34am
I am willing to bet the power-valve linkage is not hooked up properly. And that is BS.
peelout
3/17/2011 8:36am
tell him to buy it and then ride it like he stole it
whyZ
3/17/2011 9:03am
I am willing to bet the power-valve linkage is not hooked up properly. And that is BS.
That's an excellent thought, thank you I'll tell him.

The Shop

Faceaz
3/17/2011 9:06am
x2.

Never had a CDI box go bad, not saying it isn't possible, but not likely..
bt260
3/17/2011 9:07am
It's definitely not illegal to buy a cdi or ecu. I've bought 2 for a GSXR 1000 project I'm working on. Some machines like SeaDoo's and SkiDoo's will contain owner information in the ECU's to help prevent theft but it still isn't illegal to sell them, they just need to be reprogrammed for the machine they are to be installed on. That CR250 should be plug and play though.
SkidSteer
3/17/2011 9:08am
whyZ wrote:
That's an excellent thought, thank you I'll tell him.
Make sure the power-valve linkage isnt backwards. If it's in backwards, get it turned around ASAP cause it's illegal to run Power Valve Linkages backwards.
jasonv43
3/17/2011 9:10am
Yes I'm afraid it's true. But I was young and in college and I needed the money. It wasn't one of my proudest moments.
3/17/2011 9:16am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2011 9:18am
on the 99, if its been sitting for a while I can think of several things that can cause the bike to not rev. Jets clogged, powervalve froze are the first two that spring to mind. Hondas were never know for CDI problems but it can happen. The only reason I say this is because of the statement you have a friend of a friend's mechanic working on it and it needs a part.... and he says its illegal to put it on.... is it illegal because he didnt buy it and get to mark it up?????? And if so, to me, that makes any diagnosis suspect.

if it was me, in this order, I would trouble shoot.....

check oil level. if its too high the bike wont rev (drag from the oil) but will run at lower rpms (i know, dumb, but have seen this happen alot!)
take the air filter out and replace (unless you already have-have seen an old filter that looked clean not flow much air)
take the carb off, the jets out, soak it in acetone for 30 mins, then blow it out with air comp, and use some scotch brite to lightly buff the jets.
Put in a new plug, the right one! (unless you have already)

most important one though, take the power valve cover off. If memory serves, you had to have them adjusted right or the bike wouldnt run above idle. There should be 2 marks, motor off, and one for fully open. You made sure it was right at the lower mark motor off, then you fired it up, warmed it up, and cranked it wide open to see where you needed to adjust it too in WFO conditions. Also, before you start it, manually move the linkage, it should be free.

if after all this it wont rev (when you cranked it wide open and it wasnt revving and you manually moved the powervalve linkage and it still didnt rev) then I would look at the wires to the CDI first, pack rat anyone? And if those appear intact, then CDI it.

now, sarcasm alert!!!!

wait.... whats this?!?!?!!?

its a 2 stroke and it has to goto a mechanic?!@??$#Q@!!!

I thought noone EVER had to take a 2 stroke to a mechanic to get it worked on because 2 strokes were such an easy bike to work on!! be careful in this thread, and with it... the rabid delusional masses will come in here and somehow blame this on 4 strokes and some grand master plan by honda. You have the proof! its illegal to buy a used part for a honda 2 stroke!
whyZ
3/17/2011 10:08am
Okay, good advise, sarcasm, and wise cracks, yep all the ingredients for the makings of a fine thread, and all apreciated.

For what it's worth, the mechanic is legit as far as knowledge. Currently wrench's at a local shop, and is well regarded with the vets around town. He's not in it for the money, just trying to help my friend get hooked on the moto drug.

Besides not being fired up and sitting in my garage the bike was in pretty good shape. My friend not being too mechanically inclined seemed to go through the proper stages of starting it after its long hiatus. In fact he said it fired on the fourth kick. Went out to the desert and test rode it. Allways kicks over fine, idles fine and cruises along fine, just won't pop into the power band. Shortly before I went to the dark side and put the smoker to rest, I had the top end done a new set of reeds installed, and soaked the carb. Come to think of it, the power valve is the only part I didn't touch.

Well thanks for the advise, see if we can't get bike back on the track.
Trent179
3/17/2011 10:26am
peelout wrote:
tell him to buy it and then ride it like he stole it
that's funny
yota
3/17/2011 10:33am
if its electrical its the stator. my 96 had a bad stator, it would run but would not rev out. Put a used one from a 96 on it and it runs great now.
Mod Killer
3/17/2011 10:44am
step one.....fire your jackass mechanic. it should be illegal to be as stupid as him. oem cdi's rarely if ever go bad. and to say that its illegal to buy one used is beyond suspect.

step two.....try a different color power band.
3/17/2011 10:50am
Isn't any amount of throttle "in the power-band"?
I mean, I thought the power band was, aside from a 6 gauge rubber band, the entire spread of power from bottom to top?
I must be thinking about the blue one.... I bet he is talking about the red one.
I joke I joke.
3/17/2011 10:54am
I had this problem on my '01 once, after doing the top end. Rather than the power valve being installed wrong, I actually didn't line the linkage at the bottom of the cylinder up correctly with the motor linkage. I took the cover off the left side and saw it wasn't opening, your friend should be able to do the same thing, unless the motors are different (I don't know the year differences). On mine there was just a line on the pivot, and two lines on the case (open and closed) and you can watch it open and close as you rev it.
txmxer
3/17/2011 10:55am
if it runs, I doubt it's the CDI. There are basic tests that can be done to see if it's working. Need an analog OHM meter to do it.

I had to replace on in a '95 RM250--I bought the replacement new, but, there was no paperwork or special programming associated with it. Just plug it in and go.
BK
3/17/2011 1:04pm
Ask him if it starts backwards. If it does, the problem may be that it's a Hodaka, not a Honda.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
3/17/2011 1:14pm
I heard that bears don't sh-- in the woods, and that Godzilla was never a little bitty lizard. But of course, we know these are true.
Gbizzle
3/17/2011 1:21pm
I had a 98 YZ250 that would start and run. But, after you gave it it a little gas it would quit. I found the CDI box was broken. So it is possible.
mxb2
3/17/2011 2:07pm
Should have just sold the bike to Musgrave, he would have won a title on it LMFAO!
bmoto816
3/17/2011 3:31pm
BK wrote:
Ask him if it starts backwards. If it does, the problem may be that it's a Hodaka, not a Honda.
STFU BK lol
lappedrider
3/17/2011 6:30pm
I had this problem on my '01 once, after doing the top end. Rather than the power valve being installed wrong, I actually didn't line the...
I had this problem on my '01 once, after doing the top end. Rather than the power valve being installed wrong, I actually didn't line the linkage at the bottom of the cylinder up correctly with the motor linkage. I took the cover off the left side and saw it wasn't opening, your friend should be able to do the same thing, unless the motors are different (I don't know the year differences). On mine there was just a line on the pivot, and two lines on the case (open and closed) and you can watch it open and close as you rev it.
Same thing I did on my 99.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
3/17/2011 6:37pm
I vote power valve linkage wasn't lined up properly when the top end was done. I did the same thing on my 125.
redalert144
Fantasy
3087th
3/17/2011 6:50pm
I had a '04 Cr250 that would fire and run fine until WOT. After changing almost everything in the engine, turns out that the needle in the carb was bent. IDK how it happened, never had it apart before, but you had you yours apart and it may be something to check
G-man
4/8/2011 7:55am
Ok well I got the guy a new CDI box and he tried it out--same problem.

Bike starts and idles fine and low RPM is ok. As soon as he raps it out hard under load the bike falls on it’s face.

I haven’t ridden it (or worked on it) so I’m going by what he tells me. The previous owner said this is what happened way back when so he took it to a local guy who installed a new top end and it did not cure the problem. So from what I have gathered this should eliminate the powervalve being installed wrong as well as the top end as it happened BEFORE ever being worked on.

I feel bad for the guy as I got him the new CDI box with my discount at the shop. Now I have to try to take it back, I’m crossing my fingers, but they treat me good there so I’m hoping so. That is why it’s important to try to shop at the local dealers.

Anyway any guess’s could it be a bad coil, would it run at all with a bad coil?

Thanks
4/8/2011 8:02am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2011 8:04am
I'd bet it isn't the box and like others said. The power valve is stuck shut. Do not buy the CDI box until you move the power valve and make sure it is freely moving. Wasting money on a bike is the fastest way to run a new rider out of our sport. You know like a 250F blowing up the 2nd week someone owns it.

Edited: Just saw how you bought the CDI. Grrr. The power valve is stuck, even replacing a top end, and not cleaning it makes sense. Replacing a top end, does not mean you have to touch the powervalve. If it is stuck and you don't touch it, it will still be stuck.
Nutty C
4/8/2011 8:19am
Faceaz wrote:
x2.

Never had a CDI box go bad, not saying it isn't possible, but not likely..
X2.. Had stator go out of a Honda once and before I bought the stator a mechanic tested the CDI box with a ohmn meter at the dealer and said it was junk. Ordered it in and put it on and presto same problem. I Went and ohmned out the wires on a stator on a running bike and got different readings than mine so ordered a stator and presto problem fixed.
Mine would reve if you got it going but the low speed coil was pooched. Had problems at low RPM. Have fun.
bartoner
4/8/2011 8:25am
I too vote for the powervalve....I bought my wife a KX80 Supermini built by Pro Circuit, got it from a guy that used to race it, but had just been sitting in his shop for a few years....took it home, did the norm, flushed the fuel tank, cleaned the carb, new filter and plug...thing would fire up with one kick, idle fine, I put her on it, and she just seemed to be luggin around, she kept telling me that it had no power...being that it was a KX105 supermini, i thought she was trippin....after riding it i realized it just wasnt getting into the powerband....took it home, took the powervalve cover off, wouldnt you know it, it was stuck....took it all apart, cleaned it all up, put it back together....and done, runs like a champ ever since...and I didnt even have to buy one of those new RED powerbands...the stock one was just fine!!...
lumpy790
4/8/2011 8:35am
Basics- first drain old gas and clean carb and put in new sparkplug.
kr
4/8/2011 8:56am
You get this bike running yet? If not, I would check to make sure the coil
is properly grounded to the frame.

Post a reply to: Is This True?

The Latest