Is The Suzuki RMZ A Dying Breed?

121x
9/6/2022 5:27am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2022 7:57am
Anyone think it is a matter of time before Suzuki calls it quit and stops producing anymore off-road bikes? Or at least MX bikes? With next to no development effort in the last what...5 - 7 years? Is it just a matter of time before they announce they are done with this market?

Or, do you think they have something brewing behind the scenes for a revised new generation model?
|
9/6/2022 5:42am
121x wrote:
Anyone think it is a matter of time before Suzuki calls it quit and stops producing anymore off-road bikes? Or at least MX bikes? With next...
Anyone think it is a matter of time before Suzuki calls it quit and stops producing anymore off-road bikes? Or at least MX bikes? With next to no development effort in the last what...5 - 7 years? Is it just a matter of time before they announce they are done with this market?

Or, do you think they have something brewing behind the scenes for a revised new generation model?
New 450 in 2018 (with a motor, it's true that it is similar to the 2008)
new 250 in 2019 with an updated motor with two injectors. New frame and suspensions and more for both bikes.

the 450 produce around 50 HP (best 450 produces around 54 HP)
the 250 produce around 37 HP (the CRF 2022 produces 0,8 HP more)

About weight The 450 is the heaviest but the new KTM's are 5/6 lb heavier this year.
The 250 is lighter than the KXF 2022.

So it would be nice that keyboard warriors from vitalmx use simple facts like i do.
Noone has information about a new generation of RMZ, it's too soon.
R VanKamp77
9/6/2022 5:53am
121x wrote:
Anyone think it is a matter of time before Suzuki calls it quit and stops producing anymore off-road bikes? Or at least MX bikes? With next...

Simple question, when was the last time you rode one? I mean rode one too, not spun a lap on your friends. Set the sag, got the levers right, and did some motos?
MotofactioN
9/6/2022 6:01am
The 450 is a garbage bike because of the junk BFRC shock they put on it, I think that turns a lot of people from buying it. The 250 however imo is a decent bike out the door.

The Shop

soggy
9/6/2022 6:01am
121x wrote:

New 450 in 2018 (with a motor, it's true that it is similar to the 2008) new 250 in 2019 with an updated motor with two...
new 250 in 2019 with an updated motor with two injectors. New frame and suspensions and more for both bikes.

About weight The 450 is the heaviest but the new KTM's are 5/6 lb heavier this year.

So it would be nice that keyboard warriors from vitalmx use simple facts like i do.
All that is correct but they have no made any refinements since those models were released. Not even suspension rates / valving which is known to be very far off on the 250. That kind of stuff takes very little effort and they haven’t done it.
fourfourone
9/6/2022 6:04am
121x wrote:

New 450 in 2018 (with a motor, it's true that it is similar to the 2008) new 250 in 2019 with an updated motor with two...

You failed to mention the whole kick start thing.
9/6/2022 6:07am
121x wrote:

That shit is for cavemen
121x
9/6/2022 6:08am
It’s been a few weeks since we have had this exact thread.
My apologies. I did not actually see a previous one Sad
JDirt
9/6/2022 6:12am
Anyone who has ever stalled it and kicked themselves into half a lap behind would not buy a bike without a button.
kb228
9/6/2022 6:15am
If they dont update it or discount it heavily then yes. Whats going to happen is nobody will buy it and then it will be discontinued. Given the broad range of choices idk why you would buy a new suzuki when you can get a like new anything else for the same price
121x
9/6/2022 6:15am
121x wrote:

Simple question, when was the last time you rode one? I mean rode one too, not spun a lap on your friends. Set the sag, got...
Simple question, when was the last time you rode one? I mean rode one too, not spun a lap on your friends. Set the sag, got the levers right, and did some motos?
Not for years. The last Suzuki I raced competitively was a 93 RM 125 in the Intermediate class. Then I switched to Honda's for both the 125 and 250 Intermediate / B class. Never 'raced' a Suzuki from that point on. Have only ridden a few laps on a couple of the RM'Z' generations since then.

See very few of them around the track anymore. I have always thought they are a sharp looking bike. Too bad they have pretty much given up on R&D efforts...unless they are in fact quietly working on an updated model to release over the next year or two.
Phil109
9/6/2022 6:19am
I had a 19 zook 250f few years ago. Awesome bike in my opinion. Moved on to a kawi 450 now but there was nothing wrong at all with that 250 coming from a vet intermediate rider standpoint anyway. Throw the magic button on those things and I’d buy another.

121x
9/6/2022 6:22am
kb228 wrote:
If they dont update it or discount it heavily then yes. Whats going to happen is nobody will buy it and then it will be discontinued...
If they dont update it or discount it heavily then yes. Whats going to happen is nobody will buy it and then it will be discontinued. Given the broad range of choices idk why you would buy a new suzuki when you can get a like new anything else for the same price
See, this exactly.

From what I have seen there has been less and less interest in the brand. There are still those die hard guys, or those who just want to be different or stand out, who are willing to put some money into bringing the bike up to todays standards to be competitive at higher levels. The beginner and novice classes, well lets be honest, the bike itself is not really a hold up. The convenience, or lack thereof, of electric start however is a bigger deal as the years go on.

I just wasnt sure if I was missing something and Suzuki was working on a new updated generation of bike, but I have not read anything, so was genuinely interested whether this is a sign of future demise of the RMZ and Suzuki from the moto scene.
121x
9/6/2022 6:24am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2022 6:28am
It’s been a few weeks since we have had this exact thread.
121x wrote:
My apologies. I did not actually see a previous one Sad
JDirt wrote:
I guess that would explain it. I did actually do a forum search. Not sure if my search skills suck, but I have not had good luck with the search function on this site returning relevant results.
R VanKamp77
9/6/2022 6:26am
121x wrote:

If you can't kick start a dirt bike, you probably shouldn't be riding it.
R VanKamp77
9/6/2022 6:30am
121x wrote:

Simple question, when was the last time you rode one? I mean rode one too, not spun a lap on your friends. Set the sag, got...
121x wrote:
Not for years. The last Suzuki I raced competitively was a 93 RM 125 in the Intermediate class. Then I switched to Honda's for both the...
Not for years. The last Suzuki I raced competitively was a 93 RM 125 in the Intermediate class. Then I switched to Honda's for both the 125 and 250 Intermediate / B class. Never 'raced' a Suzuki from that point on. Have only ridden a few laps on a couple of the RM'Z' generations since then.

See very few of them around the track anymore. I have always thought they are a sharp looking bike. Too bad they have pretty much given up on R&D efforts...unless they are in fact quietly working on an updated model to release over the next year or two.
Just go ride one. I always raced them, and even now, I think it's better than my gasgas. So confidence inspiring, compliant, and they corner so effortlessly.

Not on paper of course, and that is what the bulk of people care about on this forum: spec sheets.
mxking6
9/6/2022 6:32am
Selling 10-25 year old designs and technology at new prices can be profitable. Even with this advantage, Suzuki has been struggling for many, many years.
121x
9/6/2022 6:37am
121x wrote:
Not for years. The last Suzuki I raced competitively was a 93 RM 125 in the Intermediate class. Then I switched to Honda's for both the...

Just go ride one. I always raced them, and even now, I think it's better than my gasgas. So confidence inspiring, compliant, and they corner so...
Just go ride one. I always raced them, and even now, I think it's better than my gasgas. So confidence inspiring, compliant, and they corner so effortlessly.

Not on paper of course, and that is what the bulk of people care about on this forum: spec sheets.
See, I am quite the opposite. I personally could care less what the 'specs' say. For me it is the feel of the bike and how comfortable I do or do not feel on it and what changes need to be made for it to 'fit' me and my riding style.

I will be honest, I do not see myself on a Suzuki anytime in the near future. I am 6'4 and currently 240lbs in gear, so a 350 is the sweet spot for me. Not sure I would care for an RMZ 450 and the 250 would likely feel lacking.

Absolutely nothing against those that do ride them. I enjoy seeing them at the tracks. But it is obvious year after year there are less and less of them showing up.
9/6/2022 6:46am
121x wrote:
I guess that would explain it. I did actually do a forum search. Not sure if my search skills suck, but I have not had good...
I guess that would explain it. I did actually do a forum search. Not sure if my search skills suck, but I have not had good luck with the search function on this site returning relevant results.
The search function on here is terrible. Always has been.
R VanKamp77
9/6/2022 7:01am
121x wrote:

Just go ride one. I always raced them, and even now, I think it's better than my gasgas. So confidence inspiring, compliant, and they corner so...

121x wrote:
See, I am quite the opposite. I personally could care less what the 'specs' say. For me it is the feel of the bike and how...
See, I am quite the opposite. I personally could care less what the 'specs' say. For me it is the feel of the bike and how comfortable I do or do not feel on it and what changes need to be made for it to 'fit' me and my riding style.

I will be honest, I do not see myself on a Suzuki anytime in the near future. I am 6'4 and currently 240lbs in gear, so a 350 is the sweet spot for me. Not sure I would care for an RMZ 450 and the 250 would likely feel lacking.

Absolutely nothing against those that do ride them. I enjoy seeing them at the tracks. But it is obvious year after year there are less and less of them showing up.
Well, it sounds to me (no offense?) like you may be more of a vet-ish tier rider. You probably are mature in your style and technique and don't need to have all your power up top in the RPM. The RM-Z450 makes very similar power to the 350 right in the middle. I don't work for suzuki or anything, just saying, you might like it.

I also do not care whatsoever about specs. I bought a 350 off of hearsay that they're awesome for guys who want/need more than a 250 but do not want a 450. I love it. I'm very tall also, and always felt comfortable on the suzukis. I felt kind of cramped on my YZ.

Point is, they're amazing bikes that will turn up your fun and turn down your lap times. Most people who disagree have never been on one.
user760a
9/6/2022 7:09am
Dying breed? who knows. Depends on Suzuki. Their efforts in other two wheel categories have been similar in the last 10 years: Lackluster half measures rather than exciting innovations.

Dying breed? who knows. Stick in the mud? yes.
seth505
9/6/2022 7:11am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2022 7:12am
I can understand the people that just don't want to deal with a kickstart, if you are the type to get all worked up and flustered when you crash or stall then you might try to kick it forever.

Other than that, it's hilarious how many people could get on an RMZ and do no worse at the track than on their beloved "refined and updated" bike of choice.
kb228
9/6/2022 7:36am

If you cant kickstart your car, you shouldnt be driving it.
R VanKamp77
9/6/2022 7:40am
kb228 wrote:
If you cant kickstart your car, you shouldnt be driving it.
You just outed yourself big time lol.
stone881
9/6/2022 7:43am
I bought a 1 hour 2018 Rmz 450 and am quite enjoying it. Yes it absolutely needed suspension work done ( Vet A/B rider here) but the power is very user friendly, although I prefer to rev a bike and this one has nothing on top. As others said, it handles very well in turns and jumps, but does have some head shake and unsettled feeling at times. I wish it had e start, but even without it starts easily warm or cold.

I think for the right price that it should definitely still be something that people consider buying, as you don't really NEED to mod it to have a good bike. The suspension works just fine with a little help from a good tuner and the BFRC isn't imo that bad. I suppose it also depends what/where you are riding, but I feel that at least in the vet classes it's good enough to win on.
Gravel
9/6/2022 7:52am
What price level would keep the Zooks relevant? With the other new 450s at $9500-$12,000 OTD, would $7000-$8000 OTD keep the RMZ moving?

What’s the actual OTD price for a new RMZ450 these days?

I’ve said for years that moto/desert/woods racing needs a new Hodaka, is Suzuki gonna back into that market?
R VanKamp77
9/6/2022 7:56am
Gravel wrote:
What price level would keep the Zooks relevant? With the other new 450s at $9500-$12,000 OTD, would $7000-$8000 OTD keep the RMZ moving? What’s the actual...
What price level would keep the Zooks relevant? With the other new 450s at $9500-$12,000 OTD, would $7000-$8000 OTD keep the RMZ moving?

What’s the actual OTD price for a new RMZ450 these days?

I’ve said for years that moto/desert/woods racing needs a new Hodaka, is Suzuki gonna back into that market?
250/450 should be 6200/6800 OTD normally with good deals being at or below 6k. I suspect that would get their volume up big time, especially if they would make a few FREE changes like valving or spring rate. The whole free pipe and graphics thing is silly.
9/6/2022 7:57am
In the HEP/BarX thread, DCD141 said Suzuki is in danger of not meeting homologation quantities.That's only 400 units. Knowing the fairly low margins on bikes, you can do the math on that. It is not enough to employ anybody in service of that sole product, and definitely not enough to pay to run race teams.
Teej317
9/6/2022 8:05am
stone881 wrote:
I bought a 1 hour 2018 Rmz 450 and am quite enjoying it. Yes it absolutely needed suspension work done ( Vet A/B rider here) but...
I bought a 1 hour 2018 Rmz 450 and am quite enjoying it. Yes it absolutely needed suspension work done ( Vet A/B rider here) but the power is very user friendly, although I prefer to rev a bike and this one has nothing on top. As others said, it handles very well in turns and jumps, but does have some head shake and unsettled feeling at times. I wish it had e start, but even without it starts easily warm or cold.

I think for the right price that it should definitely still be something that people consider buying, as you don't really NEED to mod it to have a good bike. The suspension works just fine with a little help from a good tuner and the BFRC isn't imo that bad. I suppose it also depends what/where you are riding, but I feel that at least in the vet classes it's good enough to win on.
Same experience here....just picked up an 18 two weeks ago and really enjoying it. Lowered the forks in the clamps and running a high sag number. Still got some headshake and the shock was very reactive. Slowed the rebound and it seems about right. Probably send the suspension to FC here soon, but other than that it's a great bike.

Post a reply to: Is The Suzuki RMZ A Dying Breed?

The Latest

The Latest