Is "The Moto"...

Switch
Edited Date/Time 12/4/2012 1:00pm
Is The Moto: Inside the Outdoors suddenly changing everyones opinion of the riders they enjoy hating on? I know over the past couple of season's, the targets seemed to be pretty standard when jackhats were wanting to bash on riders, but now that you have seen past the results, could a series like this on TV actually change a riders fan base in a short period of time? Could this type of support/exposure extend or help a career?

And as a side note.. how cool would it be to get guys like JLaw and other guys that are no longer in the sport and sort of dissapeared without explanation on the show?
|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/30/2012 8:39pm
A couple tidbits...I heard Fuel hated the show, and Troy had to do this year's episodes out of his own pocket. Maybe that has something to do with the tone of the stories this time around.
petersen112
11/30/2012 9:21pm
GuyB wrote:
A couple tidbits...I heard Fuel hated the show, and Troy had to do this year's episodes out of his own pocket. Maybe that has something to...
A couple tidbits...I heard Fuel hated the show, and Troy had to do this year's episodes out of his own pocket. Maybe that has something to do with the tone of the stories this time around.
Fuel probably only disliked the show because it wasnt ufc. On a sidenote, cant really believe how much fuel has strayed from showing action aports
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/30/2012 9:22pm
GuyB wrote:
A couple tidbits...I heard Fuel hated the show, and Troy had to do this year's episodes out of his own pocket. Maybe that has something to...
Fuel probably only disliked the show because it wasnt ufc. On a sidenote, cant really believe how much fuel has strayed from showing action aports
Chasing the money...
VoR
11/30/2012 9:28pm
They killed the excellent Wakeboarding show "Pull", there may be hope for the Moto but with Fuel changing to Fox Sports 3 I don't know if the Action Sports Genre will have a home anywhere away from something like Alli on the net

The Shop

WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
11/30/2012 9:38pm
The motives of a TV network are often at crossed purposes with those of the content provider. Troy is knocking it out of the park imo. But I also get why Fuel would not 'get it'.
11/30/2012 9:43pm
GuyB wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Chasing the money...
Amen. Sad truth
adub274
12/1/2012 5:24am
Definitely shows a different side that all families that race can relate to . I think the exposure these guys get could change peoples views of them and hopefully help the ones who need it get some more support .
SwapperMX
12/1/2012 5:36am
GuyB wrote:
Chasing the money...
Amen. Sad truth
Exactly the same thing happened to ESPN 10 years ago. That channel was created to be "Extreme sports network", but now even in Australia we get college games of basketball and NFL. Far from extreme.

As for the show changing certain perceptions of riders, I think this is definitely the case. It is evident just from some of the threads on here. It shows that these top guys are real people and have real problems in their life, just like everyone else. Really showing us more than the last couple of series. Great viewing.
tns
12/1/2012 6:02am
I think it has highlighted how the riders are viewed by the teams as disposable comodities.
Highsider
12/1/2012 6:32am
tns wrote:
I think it has highlighted how the riders are viewed by the teams as disposable comodities.
Sooo, a reality show, you're saying?
Shawn142
12/1/2012 7:10am
tns wrote:
Highsider wrote:
Sooo, a reality show, you're saying?
It can only be a reality show if it's staged.
mynewcr250
12/1/2012 8:16am
fuel blows ass anyways. its fucking 2012 and they still broadcast in what looks to be worse than standard definition.
mx_563
12/1/2012 8:44am
It's not changing my view a whole lot because I realize it is a TV show and not an objective account with full disclosure.

For the record, I enjoy the shows and I like what Troy Adamitis does (although I've grown tired of the dramatic narration).
Hando
12/1/2012 8:51am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2012 8:53am
honestly..i feel for them, but what they experiencing is alot of what the rest of America is going through now....essentially competing for scraps.

I think i speak for alot people when i say that i'd kill to be able to ride as good as them...

There are people in the same age bracket with college degrees (real ones like engineering and chemistry, certain business degrees,etc) that are drowning in debt and looking for the right opportunity to shine...some of them are working for free, as are these riders trying to prove themselves...

When Hahn was saying about not worrying about the money and just geting on goo equipment so he can set himself up for next year..thats the story of alot of guys/gals his age who went to college...

plenty of older folks are struggling to make ends meet as well...

"Times are different" ...very, very true.

Things will get better but it will be sometime , for sure.

Big ups to Troy for putting his own money up to keep this thing going..its an amazing show Smile
watson
12/1/2012 10:51am
Crazy that Fuel hates it even though this is the most casual-friendly Inside the Outdoors season. I've had friends watch the three episodes so far that had a very foggy idea what Motocross is, but they are very into the show and gaining massive respect for the sport.

On a side note, is putting reruns of UFC Prelims, two year old fights, and occasional UFC talk shows put on by people who can barely string together a coherent sentence from too many raps to head really giving them more viewers than their old awesome original action sports content? Before they had a niche that no one else was/is doing and now their putting someone else's sloppy seconds on a loop.

Props to Troy though, I'd be psyched to see Racer X or Transworld pick him up to do his series after Fuel inevitably gives his show the boot.
ocscottie
12/1/2012 11:03am
SwapperMX wrote:
Exactly the same thing happened to ESPN 10 years ago. That channel was created to be "Extreme sports network", but now even in Australia we get...
Exactly the same thing happened to ESPN 10 years ago. That channel was created to be "Extreme sports network", but now even in Australia we get college games of basketball and NFL. Far from extreme.

As for the show changing certain perceptions of riders, I think this is definitely the case. It is evident just from some of the threads on here. It shows that these top guys are real people and have real problems in their life, just like everyone else. Really showing us more than the last couple of series. Great viewing.
about ESPN: That is an old wives tale made up by overzealous "eXtreme" dudes. ESPN was created as "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network"

1) What does ESPN stand for?
It doesn't stand for anything&. but the story is this. When ESPN started in 1979, we were the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (thus, ESPN). However, the full name was dropped in February 1985 when the company adopted a new corporate name --- ESPN, Inc - and a new logo. Based in Bristol, CT., ESPN is 80 percent owned by ABC, Inc., which is an indirect subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. The Hearst Corporation holds the remaining 20 percent interest in ESPN.

source

btw: just wanted to clear that up because it come up fairly often. Cool
Hut
12/1/2012 11:21am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2012 11:48am
watson wrote:
Crazy that Fuel hates it even though this is the most casual-friendly Inside the Outdoors season. I've had friends watch the three episodes so far that...
Crazy that Fuel hates it even though this is the most casual-friendly Inside the Outdoors season. I've had friends watch the three episodes so far that had a very foggy idea what Motocross is, but they are very into the show and gaining massive respect for the sport.

On a side note, is putting reruns of UFC Prelims, two year old fights, and occasional UFC talk shows put on by people who can barely string together a coherent sentence from too many raps to head really giving them more viewers than their old awesome original action sports content? Before they had a niche that no one else was/is doing and now their putting someone else's sloppy seconds on a loop.

Props to Troy though, I'd be psyched to see Racer X or Transworld pick him up to do his series after Fuel inevitably gives his show the boot.
I don't know if their new love of fighting is giving them more viewers but it is quickly losing me. I used to have FuelTV on in the background when they had what I considered good programming now I only set DVR for the moto stuff and essentially never tune in to Fuel.
In short; it sucks now! Angry
I do have DirecTV HD and the video quality is quite good though. imho
newmann
12/1/2012 11:37am
ocscottie wrote:
about ESPN: That is an old wives tale made up by overzealous "eXtreme" dudes. ESPN was created as "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network" [b]1) What does...
about ESPN: That is an old wives tale made up by overzealous "eXtreme" dudes. ESPN was created as "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network"

It doesn't stand for anything&. but the story is this. When ESPN started in 1979, we were the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (thus, ESPN). However, the full name was dropped in February 1985 when the company adopted a new corporate name --- ESPN, Inc - and a new logo. Based in Bristol, CT., ESPN is 80 percent owned by ABC, Inc., which is an indirect subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. The Hearst Corporation holds the remaining 20 percent interest in ESPN.

source

ESPN2, not the original one. And other than a little bit of moto I never watch fuel anymore. Mostly a shit station with picture quality reminiscent of a moon landing I watched as a very young kid on a 19 inch black and white TV.
12/1/2012 1:35pm
IT IS ABSURD THAT THESE COMPANIES ARE ONLY IN IT FOR THE PROFIT!!

What the hell? Why do they like money so much? Why can't they just be satisfied with breaking even?

Man, businesses have really changed....
12/1/2012 2:34pm
These stations know one thing and that's ratings. If your not getting enough you pay for it yourself or your out.
Motodave15
12/1/2012 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2012 3:04pm
It has not changed my opinion of the riders because i always rooted for the ones who everybody seemed to hate... Always have and always will... I personally think its changing all of the goodie two-shoes fans who's shit don't stink opinion's

side note: I refuse to watch fuel tv now, I'd rather wait and watch the episodes on youtube with no commercials (I despise commercials)

The UFC is killing that channel, as its getting pretty damn boring to watch... I wish they would go back to action sports like they used too.. But until then... I'm leaving my T.V. on the NHL network...(Hopefully, an agreement can be reached)SadSadSad
ocscottie
12/1/2012 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2012 6:08pm
ocscottie wrote:
about ESPN: That is an old wives tale made up by overzealous "eXtreme" dudes. ESPN was created as "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network" [b]1) What does...

source

newmann wrote:
ESPN2, not the original one. And other than a little bit of moto I never watch fuel anymore. Mostly a shit station with picture quality reminiscent...
ESPN2, not the original one. And other than a little bit of moto I never watch fuel anymore. Mostly a shit station with picture quality reminiscent of a moon landing I watched as a very young kid on a 19 inch black and white TV.
"ESPN2, not the original one"

Nope:

Acronym: ESPN2

Definition: Entertainment & Sports Programming Network 2 (sister station of ESPN)

Nowhere is there any mention of the "E" in ESPN officially meaning "Extreme" I remember quite a few years back now going on and on over this, and i was very surprised myself, because i also always thought it was 'Extreme", but its not. It is one of those "interweb myths" that we can prob thank the XGames for. Blink
72kiteboarder
12/1/2012 6:14pm
Anyone know Troy? If you do, ask if this season will be on iTunes like the previous 3.
12/1/2012 6:17pm
Motodave15 wrote:
It has not changed my opinion of the riders because i always rooted for the ones who everybody seemed to hate... Always have and always will...
It has not changed my opinion of the riders because i always rooted for the ones who everybody seemed to hate... Always have and always will... I personally think its changing all of the goodie two-shoes fans who's shit don't stink opinion's

side note: I refuse to watch fuel tv now, I'd rather wait and watch the episodes on youtube with no commercials (I despise commercials)

The UFC is killing that channel, as its getting pretty damn boring to watch... I wish they would go back to action sports like they used too.. But until then... I'm leaving my T.V. on the NHL network...(Hopefully, an agreement can be reached)SadSadSad
Dont hold your breath for the NHL!! I check Sports ill every day for updates but all I get is more and more pissed. Im done being optimistic.
VoR
12/3/2012 9:25am
ocscottie wrote:

source

newmann wrote:
ESPN2, not the original one. And other than a little bit of moto I never watch fuel anymore. Mostly a shit station with picture quality reminiscent...
ocscottie wrote:
"[i]ESPN2, not the original one[/i]" Nope: Acronym: ESPN2 Definition: Entertainment & Sports Programming Network 2 (sister station of ESPN) Nowhere is there any mention of the...
"ESPN2, not the original one"

Nope:

Acronym: ESPN2

Definition: Entertainment & Sports Programming Network 2 (sister station of ESPN)

Nowhere is there any mention of the "E" in ESPN officially meaning "Extreme" I remember quite a few years back now going on and on over this, and i was very surprised myself, because i also always thought it was 'Extreme", but its not. It is one of those "interweb myths" that we can prob thank the XGames for. Blink
Scottie is on it lol

And the picture is very good on DirecTV HD
IceMan446
12/3/2012 10:45am
The problem is, this show is for a very select audience. It means nothing to people who don't follow motocross. And that's not a big enough audience to demand more time or funding from a network.

Troy does an amazong job but he needs to be compensated for his work.
BKiller
12/3/2012 11:05am
My wife's comment on the show was,
"Well I guess I will never let my little boy get into dirt bike riding if this is how they will turn out."
Flatliner
12/3/2012 11:10am
Moto just does not draw large crowds. Poker will get more airplay on espn, or tsn in Canada than Moto ever will, and poker is a game.
Hut
12/3/2012 11:32am
Matthes wrote:
I talked to Troy last week about the series

HERE
Cool, thanks. I hope we see a lot more of his work for years to come.

Post a reply to: Is "The Moto"...

The Latest