Is Sound Really Closing Tracks?

Overdrive
2/18/2010 1:34pm
Well who do you think the Greenies are, they work in the parks and in the city. They also bitch at the city enough that the city shuts areas down. We should be bitching at the city louder than the greenies, letting them know we are a bigger group and a more influencial group. But no we fight about how loud are bikes are. Offraod enthusiest need to unite, not biquer with each other.

So miedosoracing1 are you a tree licker? You seem to take exception to people who have a negative opinion of tree lickers.

Tree Lickers don't like me and I don't like them. They can kiss my global warming ass.
shaner708
2/18/2010 1:47pm
The key to keeping tracks and trails open close to residences is keeping the locals happy its that simple. DC and the crew have it right, there's ten homes next to Steel City with only a row of trees separating the track from them, and not one person ever complains. The reason for that is they can get into the races for free be it pro or amateur races. It's a lot easier to listen to bikes while you're being entertained watching them then to hear them all day across the trees disrupting your Sunday afternoon. They also have ways for the locals to make some cash, theres a guy at SC who sells ice at the nationals and I'm sure makes a killing, my grandpa gets paid to lease a field for parking, and even at High Point theres people who sell parking in their yards who I'm sure pad their wallets nicely.

Thats the key keeping the neighbors happy. Giving them a reason not to be annoyed by the bikes instead of dropping 2 db where they can still hear them plain as day anyways.
2/18/2010 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2010 2:13pm
Overdrive wrote:
Well who do you think the Greenies are, they work in the parks and in the city. They also bitch at the city enough that the...
Well who do you think the Greenies are, they work in the parks and in the city. They also bitch at the city enough that the city shuts areas down. We should be bitching at the city louder than the greenies, letting them know we are a bigger group and a more influencial group. But no we fight about how loud are bikes are. Offraod enthusiest need to unite, not biquer with each other.

So miedosoracing1 are you a tree licker? You seem to take exception to people who have a negative opinion of tree lickers.

Tree Lickers don't like me and I don't like them. They can kiss my global warming ass.
Seriously, the day all bikes are quiet, including loud Harleys, I'll be fighting right along side of you. Why would I fight for something I don't believe in, fighting to keep loud bikes? But until then, I'll try to wake you guys up about how our side can win more fights, than we lose. It's all about numbers. Sure, cities will close areas (they knock down houses all the time, close businesses etc. Cities have authority to do most things they want. Example: Texas stadium and all surrounding houses and buildings gone), dust will make people mad, lawsuits etc. But noise, as you see what Ping wrote, is the key. That closes more tracks (notice I said tracks) than all the other reasons.
race
2/18/2010 2:53pm
Tiki wrote:
[i]Not trying to get any of you to change from running quieter bikes. This story illustrates the mentality of those that just have to be dicks...
Not trying to get any of you to change from running quieter bikes. This story illustrates the mentality of those that just have to be dicks.
Last time I checked, mountain bikes were fairly quiet.

From the LA Times

Rangers to dismantle illegal mountain biking course in Orange County park
February 17, 2010 | 11:13 am

Orange County park rangers, conservationists and volunteers will join forces Saturday to dismantle an illegal mountain bike course built in an off-limits forest area.

The elaborate network of wooden bridges, jumps, illegal trails and sandbag-reinforced switchbacks was built on about an acre of land in Limestone Canyon and Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park, apparently by avid mountain bikers, officials said.

Mountain bikers have built illegal trails in many Orange County parks, said Senior Park Ranger Vicky Malton, who added she had never seen such structures built in this particular park before.

The course was discovered last fall when interns with the Irvine Ranch Conservancy were working to reintroduce prickly pear cacti to the forest after the 2007 Santiago fire and stumbled upon it.

The trail builders destroyed native plants and threatened the habitat of the nesting cactus wren, Malton said. Without enough plants to hold down hillsides, the barren trails raised the risk of erosion. Efforts to “re-brush” the area, or place natural debris and sometimes plant vegetation over the illegal trails, were being sabotaged, she said.

“They keep clearing the same trails or making new ones,” Malton said. “It’s a constant battle.”

Efforts to dismantle the course had to be put on hold during recent rainstorms, said David Raetz, deputy director for the Irvine Ranch Conservancy, adding that he hoped the larger mountain biking community would support the effort to keep certain areas of the park free of human intrusion.

“We live in such an urban area that it’s even more important to leave the natural areas the way they are so they can survive,” Raetz said. “They have to be in balance. … We don’t want to love it to death by continuing to overuse it.”

-- Amina Khan
Ummm ... I've got personal knowledge of the area and have ridden it a few times. ( Nothing special there so it's not one of my regular stops. )

I posted facts that you seem to have ignored. I guess they didn't fit your agenda? There are a couple of rangers that post on the So Cal mtb boards and they've pretty much indicated why bootleg stuff gets shut down.

Two reasons: liability ... and it's closed to riding. They may be trying to re-grow ground cover on a bare area or who knows. The point is you're trespassing and building on property they don't want you on. And if you went and broke your spine off some hip jump on one of those trails ... you and your lawyer could be looking to squeeze $$$ out of the city or county.

You might as well blame the PI attorneys if you really need to blame someone. If you want more riding areas you have to work within the system.

And I've built plenty of bootleg stuff ( both MX and DH ). You takes your chances and accept it's only a matter of time.

The Shop

Rooster
2/18/2010 2:56pm
They've dismantled quite a number of trails in North Vancouver as well.

Not for sound issues though.

Creating a track or any other structure like these on public property creates liability issues. If you get hurt riding the trail you sue the landowner. If the landowner knew about the track and didn't dismantle it then they assume the liability for it.

Would you run a track open to the public without the correct liability insurance? Would you pay for the insurance if the track generated no income?
2/18/2010 3:07pm
Overdrive wrote:
Well who do you think the Greenies are, they work in the parks and in the city. They also bitch at the city enough that the...

Exactly. The greenies can't close shit down without the government behind them, be it local, state, or federal.

I am not sure we are a bigger group tho and I doubt we have as much money.
2/18/2010 3:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:51pm
AMA objects to unilateral action by the Administration for National Monument designation without public debate!
Take Action!

Contact your Senators and Representative to Oppose!

A recently obtained internal document from the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI) shows the Obama Administration is considering a recommendation to designate over 13 million acres of public and private lands in 11 western states as National Monument areas without any public debate. The western states are Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. This unilateral action by the Administration could potentially prohibit off-highway riding in the affected areas.

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) sent a letter in response to this internal document to DOI's Secretary Ken Salazar, dated February 18, opposing the recommendation to designate areas as National Monuments without any public input. In the letter, the AMA strongly recommended to the Secretary to "reconsider this approach and urge you to reach out to potential affected user groups, local and state elected officials and Congress for input before the disposition of any proclamations pursuant to the Antiquities Act of 1906 (Act)."

The AMA opposes any unilateral executive declarations that do not allow full public debate on the disposition of public lands. Indeed, each of these designations deserves to be considered individually to allow time for thoughtful deliberation and input from affected user groups, local and state elected officials and Congress before any proclamations are made pursuant to the Act. The AMA urges its members to contact their federal elected officials and request that they oppose the Administration's efforts to designate areas as National Monuments without congressional input.

You can find contact information for your elected officials at AmericanMotorcyclist.com >Rights > Issues & Legislation, then enter your zip code in the "Find your Officials" box. Additionally, a prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to your federal elected official immediately by following the "Take Action" option and entering your information.

Please write or call your Senators and Representative today and ask them to oppose the Administration's efforts to designate areas as National Monuments without public or congressional input.

Overdrive
2/18/2010 3:40pm
Tiki wrote:
[i]Not trying to get any of you to change from running quieter bikes. This story illustrates the mentality of those that just have to be dicks...
Not trying to get any of you to change from running quieter bikes. This story illustrates the mentality of those that just have to be dicks.
Last time I checked, mountain bikes were fairly quiet.

From the LA Times

Rangers to dismantle illegal mountain biking course in Orange County park
February 17, 2010 | 11:13 am

Orange County park rangers, conservationists and volunteers will join forces Saturday to dismantle an illegal mountain bike course built in an off-limits forest area.

The elaborate network of wooden bridges, jumps, illegal trails and sandbag-reinforced switchbacks was built on about an acre of land in Limestone Canyon and Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park, apparently by avid mountain bikers, officials said.

Mountain bikers have built illegal trails in many Orange County parks, said Senior Park Ranger Vicky Malton, who added she had never seen such structures built in this particular park before.

The course was discovered last fall when interns with the Irvine Ranch Conservancy were working to reintroduce prickly pear cacti to the forest after the 2007 Santiago fire and stumbled upon it.

The trail builders destroyed native plants and threatened the habitat of the nesting cactus wren, Malton said. Without enough plants to hold down hillsides, the barren trails raised the risk of erosion. Efforts to “re-brush” the area, or place natural debris and sometimes plant vegetation over the illegal trails, were being sabotaged, she said.

“They keep clearing the same trails or making new ones,” Malton said. “It’s a constant battle.”

Efforts to dismantle the course had to be put on hold during recent rainstorms, said David Raetz, deputy director for the Irvine Ranch Conservancy, adding that he hoped the larger mountain biking community would support the effort to keep certain areas of the park free of human intrusion.

“We live in such an urban area that it’s even more important to leave the natural areas the way they are so they can survive,” Raetz said. “They have to be in balance. … We don’t want to love it to death by continuing to overuse it.”

-- Amina Khan
race wrote:
Ummm ... I've got personal knowledge of the area and have ridden it a few times. ( Nothing special there so it's not one of my...
Ummm ... I've got personal knowledge of the area and have ridden it a few times. ( Nothing special there so it's not one of my regular stops. )

I posted facts that you seem to have ignored. I guess they didn't fit your agenda? There are a couple of rangers that post on the So Cal mtb boards and they've pretty much indicated why bootleg stuff gets shut down.

Two reasons: liability ... and it's closed to riding. They may be trying to re-grow ground cover on a bare area or who knows. The point is you're trespassing and building on property they don't want you on. And if you went and broke your spine off some hip jump on one of those trails ... you and your lawyer could be looking to squeeze $$$ out of the city or county.

You might as well blame the PI attorneys if you really need to blame someone. If you want more riding areas you have to work within the system.

And I've built plenty of bootleg stuff ( both MX and DH ). You takes your chances and accept it's only a matter of time.
Ive said several times in this thread its about liability and the fact that Greenies don't want people on the "Pristine" property, not sound. So what agenda would you be speaking of?
The Rock
2/18/2010 5:28pm
BobbyM wrote:
i heard the rock will make billions if a sound ordinance is passed...easy street here he comes...lmao
I broke off my relationship with the db Dawg folks close to a year ago now since I got tired of some people saying my sound efforts were motivated by money.

Be interesting to see what the next BS reason someone will come up with to explain my position........guess it is too difficult for some to grasp I just don't like loud four strokes.
tobz
2/18/2010 7:49pm
Tracks aren't closing around here due to bikes all of a sudden becoming loud, housing developments get closer and closer to tracks. they'd still be getting shut down if they all used two strokes only.

Post a reply to: Is Sound Really Closing Tracks?

The Latest